• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: no news is good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinder

It's rather telling that Microsoft is doing a far better job at promoting their struggling brand and delivering OS updates than Sony.

Like what? I was considering getting an Xbox One, but the only exclusive game with a release date is TitanFall, which is also coming out on PC.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have lost the ability to decipher with you which is your desire to stir the hive (and there is a very real and very persistent hive) and what is you being argumentative for the sake of sport.
GAF = Hive confirmed!

Dunlop

PS3 had like jack shit feature wise too when it launched. Give it TIME.

For certain features that they are "inventing" specifically for the PS4 (i.e suspend resume) for sure it takes time

CD support, DLNA, etc.. can be done on $20 devices now , it is crazy that they still have not been implemented yet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It sucks, but it is what it is.

Until they really show a steady stream of games and get the OS really fully up to speed I'm not buying a console.

I get that I'm in the minority though considering Sony can't keep them on the shelves.

In 9 days, one of their biggest games of the year is coming out. They don't want to go announcing tons of stuff and have that overshadow it in gaming news.

Microsoft have been more aggressive because they need to be, I suspect many MS employees expected a full on early 2014 push due to the negativity surrounding it.

Sony on the other hand are seeing the numbers, especially in the West and don't need to be aggressive. Demand is there and continuing. I do feel they need a good E3 to keep momentum going.

rothbart

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.gif

Perfect response!

anthym

Neo Member
I would like to think we will be getting a firmware update with added features in the next few months, possibly before E3. I don't think Sony would make any kind of announcement for a FW update unless it was coming soon. As far as games go, we have heard bits and pieces about indie titles and some media on already announced games. I think they will just stick with that for now and save the big guns for E3.

Who needs news when you have Knack?

KNACK KNACK KNACK Why aren't you playing knack yet?

If you've already played knack, play it again!

I have no idea. Hopefully GDC brings some game announcements

Steffen

Banned
If Sony is smart, they'll piggyback their inFamous release with a major firmware update that patches in a whole bunch of stuff, like suspend/resume. Kind of like how Microsoft piggybacked a whole bunch of stuff off of Titanfall's release.

That generated a huge amount of buzz.

benny_a

I would like to think we will be getting a firmware update with added features in the next few months, possibly before E3. I don't think Sony would make any kind of announcement for a FW update unless it was coming soon. As far as games go, we have heard bits and pieces about indie titles and some media on already announced games. I think they will just stick with that for now and save the big guns for E3.
We had dreamers like you before the Japan launch because it made so much sense to relaunch the PS4 OS with all the wanted features when the home country was getting it.

The dream is dead!

viveks86

No news is no news. They don't care about netizens bitching about droughts because they can't care about people who lack critical thinking. They can't care about people complaining about dust on their consoles because they can't make them fast enough to sell to people ex New Zealand and Finland. And they don't care about getting headlines on message boards because then they have to deal with rancid shitola like people obsessing about 3 second gifs of their games and complaining they announced their games too early (also add speculation and hyperinfatuation over every minuscule part of the dev cycle.)

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Either you believe Sony has games in dev and will show them when they want to or you don't. And if you don't, just don't buy a ps4 until you do.

I have no mouth but I must scream.

There_there_robot.gif

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Why burn any good news now when they're selling out constantly.

Ridiculous OT is ridiculous. Be patient, just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean they are stagnant, E3 will be amazing.

Into

As of this very moment, the console is again sold out on Amazon US and Amazon UK, this has been happening since launch

The Xbox One has not been out of stock since launch, several months ago. The numbers we have reflect that with a 2:1 ratio in sales

Now look i know that you as a owner do not care about sales, and really you should not care, you are a customer not a share holder. But the point of announcements is to stir interest into a product, right now, there is clearly enough interest that they still cannot keep up with demand. MS on other hand will have to work much harder

If Sony is smart, they'll piggyback their inFamous release with a major firmware update that patches in a whole bunch of stuff, like suspend/resume. Kind of like how Microsoft piggybacked a whole bunch of stuff off of Titanfall's release.

That generated a huge amount of buzz.

wasn't xbox live down for some people because of that? lol

No news is no news. They don't care about netizens bitching about droughts because they can't care about people who lack critical thinking. They can't care about people complaining about dust on their consoles because they can't make them fast enough to sell to people ex New Zealand and Finland. And they don't care about getting headlines on message boards because then they have to deal with rancid shitola like people obsessing about 3 second gifs of their games and complaining they announced their games too early (also add speculation and hyperinfatuation over every minuscule part of the dev cycle.)

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Either you believe Sony has games in dev and will show them when they want to or you don't. And if you don't, just don't buy a ps4 until you do.

I have no mouth but I must scream.

Word.

Steffen

Banned
wasn't xbox live down for some people because of that? lol

I mean more specifically the big March update + Twitch streaming that arrived right before Titanfall. The inFamous release would be a perfect time for them to announce we can finally suspend and resume our games.

onipex

Sony needs to do Nintendo Directs.

I thought they tried something like that and failed.

Anyway Sony may be lucky enough to be able to sit back and have sales stay great without doing or saying anything. Negative news didn't seem to have much impact at all to positive perception of the console,at least not to people that already wanted a PS4.

If they are not lucky people are going to start complaining about whats lacking or maybe even get worried about studios closing,lay offs, and projects being canceled/rebooted.

Mifune

Mehmber
Strange. I feel like every week there are multiple game announcements. Just last week there were a handful of new games announced at Bitsummit. In my opinion you can't turn a corner without bumping into a new PS4 announcement, whether it's something new or a release date for a game we already knew about.

Unless, of course, indies don't matter.

As for AAA stuff, when it's announced has no bearing on when we're gonna play it. So unless you think no new news means all of those games have been canned and the developers sent home, then I think some patience is called for. Sony isn't the only one being quiet. I'm still waiting for even a scrap of in-game media from Sunset Overdrive.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
With the way the PS4 is selling these days, they can afford to hold off on hype generating announcements until the hype surrounding the console itself begins to die down.

Besides, GDC is next week, and then E3 is in the summer. Not to mention that Sony has a habit of announcing things at random times not tied to a particular event or show. I usually follow the PlayStation Blog, and there is usually always some info coming our way. Today I see they announced a release date for Mercenary Kings for PS4. Sure, it's an indie title I already own on Steam, but I'm still double dipping, and excited to finally have a release date. In the meantime, I have a shit ton of things to play across my PS4, Vita, and 3DS. I don't need constant game announcements to keep me exciting about the console I bought. I know the games are coming. Hell, half of Sony's studios have yet to even hint at what they're working on.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You won't be saying this when Sony show us a trailer of The Last Guardian running on the PS4 at GDC!

Come on ... You know it's going to happen ...

'Hearts are so fragile'

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I mean more specifically the big March update + Twitch streaming that arrived right before Titanfall. The inFamous release would be a perfect time for them to announce we can finally suspend and resume our games.

Have you heard? Sony has had Twitch/Ustream streaming since launch!!

Tubular!

I understand your idea though.

Rocky

Banned
Not sure if this means anything, but I got an email today from Amazon about my Driveclub preorder saying the estimated release date has changed to September 30, 2014. I haven't heard anything announced yet though.

I feel different.
Microsoft has with Titanfall and PvZ two titles which are also available on PC and 360.
After Titanfall there is pretty much nothing, supposedly untill fall.
Their E3 surprises (Forza Horizon 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Sunset Overdrive and QuantumBreak in 2014) were leaked, some say a controlled leak to get people more excited because demand fell off a cliff after christmas.

Sony sells everything they produce. No need to further increase demand now. Keep the annoucements for times when demand needs a push.

Lets just hear more about games we know exist already and worry about new announcements at E3. Watchdogs, Driveclub, Destiny, The Order, Evolve, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age, Lords of the Fallen, Bound by Flame, Rime, Everybody is gone to the rapture and a bunch more games. Some we know a fair amount about, some we know very little. For me, that is a huge library of great looking games to look forward to seeing more of before they start announcing even more games. Id like to hear about a fighting game like a new Street Fighter because thats like the only genre thats not got a lot going for it on the new gen ATM. Waiting for E3 is no problemo for any new game announcements for this guy.

labaronx

I'm confused what MS have announced or shown outside of Titanfall and 2 small OS updates. Some people are keen to push the narrative Sony are in trouble and have no games while MS have tons of games announced.

Both console makers have been relatively quiet, people need to stop thinking last years multiple event info blow outs were the norm. MS and Sony won't announce anything at all until E3.

I've been curious about this too

Neff

Sony gaming problems

Compared to their glory years, they're in a pickle, no doubt about it. They're poor as a company, with big debt. Faith in the company is shaky both outside and in. The current games industry is an incredibly intimidating and merciless unknown. As a result, Sony's games division is bound to be a little fractured and cutthroat. But they've got a good start with PS4, and if their E3 delivers, they'll have an equally good holiday and 2015.

What the hell is going on with the world's most succesfful console maker?

Most prolific, probably. Most successful? No.

Zephyx

I think thread title is misleading since this is not an official Sony stance.

OT: Be patient. If you're not happy with the state of your investment, maybe you should never have invested in the first place.

benny_a

I think thread title is misleading since this is not an official Sony stance.

OT: Be patient. If you're not happy with the state of your investment, maybe you should never have invested in the first place.
What's the official Sony stance if not this?

We don't comment on rumors of speculations. :p
(But that changed recently.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom