• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: no news is good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhar

Banned
Some companies are just a bit more secretive than others. Look at the differences between Google and Apple, for example. Apple is extremely secretive, while Google announces almost everything they're working on. Microsoft's culture seems to be a bit similar to Google's, while Sony looks more like Apple (talking strictly about openness.)

klee123

Eh that's false.

I think even Demon mention this.

Not trying to challenge you, but can you name any examples?

From my memory, the majority of the major AAA announcements usually usually means the release date is usually at least a year away, unless it's a downloadable/indie title.

DedValve

Banned
Sony should blow their load now and get the jump on Microsoft, that way come E3 when they have nothing new to show you can make this exact same thread.

Hopefully they weren't turned off by all the bitching and complaining and whining and moaning about the constant flow of PS3 firmware updates and as a result are holding back PS4 patches for big batches of changes.

Dunlop

It's been four months since the PS4 launch and I'm starting to get annoyed by the lack of news from Sony. We were promised major OS upgrades to fix missing multimedia support (MP3, CD, DLNA, etc) and a promised suspend/resume feature but so far not a peep from the Sony HQ.

This is the part that concerns me the most, it is way to early for them to be complacent and the PS4 is fucking pales in comparison to the PS3 as a multimedia device which is ridiculous

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

From my memory, every announcement usually usually means the release date is usually at least a year away, unless it's a downloadable/indie title.

GT6 and the PS4 itself were both less than a year between reveal and launch.

No news is no news. They don't care about netizens bitching about droughts because they can't care about people who lack critical thinking. They can't care about people complaining about dust on their consoles because they can't make them fast enough to sell to people ex New Zealand and Finland. And they don't care about getting headlines on message boards because then they have to deal with rancid shitola like people obsessing about 3 second gifs of their games and complaining they announced their games too early (also add speculation and hyperinfatuation over every minuscule part of the dev cycle.)

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Either you believe Sony has games in dev and will show them when they want to or you don't. And if you don't, just don't buy a ps4 until you do.

I have no mouth but I must scream.
Yeah this is the big contradiction. Sony announces games early, they are criticised for announcing it too early. They leave games in the oven and announce them with a shorter turn around until release and they are criticised for having no games

Coolwhip

Banned
Because of increasing costs and team sizes you shouldn't expect the same amount of games as in previous console gens. I think this E3 might be a huge letdown because of it tbh.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Havent you heard? They are selling everything they can make. No need for news.

#truthfacts

edit: And when was the last time MS talked about new games outside of the Black Tusk Gears of War stuff?

edit2: GDC is a week away with a heavy Sony presence.

Have to agree with OP on this one. Surprising amount of people defending Sony in this thread. "PS4 is selling out, so we don't have to do/say anything" is not an excuse to remain quiet. Especially when the biggest news from them recently has been all negative. PS4 is not winning because it's some amazing piece of tech or because of great games, it's winning so far because of perception. And that perception, although not shifting in Microsoft's or Nintendo's favor, is definitely wavering. Maybe they're saving everything for conferences, but at least update the console to add features that were in the PS3 in 2006.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So that's a reason for no firmware updates? No ETA on firmware updates?
There's no firmware updates because there are no firmware updates. This is not a tautology. Why do they have to give you an update on what they're developing?

If the product doesn't meet your needs then get rid of it.

They've never previewed upcoming firmware before it was ready. This is the company that had a broken clock in the dashboard for like two years.

As much as we all love the excitement of E3, I think the industry would benefit from moving away from holding everything back until a big annual blowout circus to a more measured, mature approach to unveiling news.

We have a thread like this every month, but I'll give an answer. Give them time, E3 would be the best bet with GDC having a bit of news this month, I believe it starts the 19th.

Sony keeps sounding off about how great their E3 conference is going to be, so wait until then to get your much needed Vita indie ports, Wonderbook and Knack 2 megaton announcements.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

From my memory, the majority of the major AAA announcements usually usually means the release date is usually at least a year away, unless it's a downloadable/indie title.
By no means comprehensive but maybe indicative what big publisher think is a good idea:

Announcement and release separated by less than 12 months:
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 4

Announcement and planned release separated by less than 12 months:
Evolve
LoTR: Shadow of Mordor
Batman: Arkham Knight

No news is no news. They don't care about netizens bitching about droughts because they can't care about people who lack critical thinking. They can't care about people complaining about dust on their consoles because they can't make them fast enough to sell to people ex New Zealand and Finland. And they don't care about getting headlines on message boards because then they have to deal with rancid shitola like people obsessing about 3 second gifs of their games and complaining they announced their games too early (also add speculation and hyperinfatuation over every minuscule part of the dev cycle.)

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Either you believe Sony has games in dev and will show them when they want to or you don't. And if you don't, just don't buy a ps4 until you do.

wow.

Darknight

This is the part that concerns me the most, it is way to early for them to be complacent and the PS4 is fucking pales in comparison to the PS3 as a multimedia device which is ridiculous

PS3 had like jack shit feature wise too when it launched. Give it TIME.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The lack of 3D Blu Ray support is extremely irritating for me personally, but I have no doubts about the upcoming games. They had a 5 year uninterrupted stream of excellent exclusives that turned the PS3's fortunes around, I've seen nothing to suggest that they wont do the same for the PS4.

Into

E3 is great for big new announcement, but there's no reason to keep mum about status updates for games that were already announced or future firmware updates.

Take a good look at what MS is actually doing, the are trying to extinguish a fire, ive heard horror stories from german stores that they sell more PS3s than Xbox Ones, and the PS3 at this point is running on fumes.

So stuff like a price cut in UK is not something that should be celebrated as a good thing for a healthy console. Or a "update" its a desperate move only months after its launch.

NPD is in 23 hours who knows what the number looks like for Xbox One and PS4. If its around 150k again then no wonder they are scrapping along, trying anything and everything to kick start this. If PS4 is at 250-300k+ then the are probably planning for the future to carry the momentum, rather than blowing their load in hopes to save a console

Didn't we get a whole bunch of MLB The Show footage last week?
That's a Sony game. It counts.

This is true. Likewise, with GDC literally days away and an important E3 this year, I don't think random updates are quite necessary, or the best use of their surprises right now.

jelly

Look everyone, CD support.

/tumbleweed

Bigger updates have more impact and might as well do it right first time. PS3 updates can die in a fire.

I much preferred Xbox 360 yearly updates. Both consoles have come in hot but give them 6 months at least.

klee123

GT6 and the PS4 itself were both less than a year between reveal and launch.

By no means comprehensive but maybe indicative what big publisher think is a good idea:

Announcement and release separated by less than 12 months:
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed 4

Announcement and planned release separated by less than 12 months:
Evolve
LoTR: Shadow of Mordor
Batman: Arkham Knight

I stand corrected then. I guess I was jaded by the ridiculous wait times of the announced games during the beginning of last generation.

RulkezX

I'm confused what MS have announced or shown outside of Titanfall and 2 small OS updates. Some people are keen to push the narrative Sony are in trouble and have no games while MS have tons of games announced.

Both console makers have been relatively quiet, people need to stop thinking last years multiple event info blow outs were the norm. MS and Sony won't announce anything at all until E3.

Sure there's been a distinct lack of information on a lot of things, but when their major competitor isn't exactly hitting anything out of the ballpark either maybe they don't feel the need?
Microsoft have just hadTitanfall of course, but the amount of exposure for Infamous: Second Son has been steadily growing recently.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

yeah, if there's one thing you can count on sony for, it's not announcing games long before they're ready or having media of them relentlessly disseminated in three second GIF form to the point of nausea.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's rather telling that Microsoft is doing a far better job at promoting their struggling brand and delivering OS updates than Sony.
What exactly has MS been promoting game wise besides Titanfall these last few months? They certainly haven't said much more about what's coming in the back half of the year than Sony has.

As for OS updates, sure, would love to see some meatier updates soon. But MS' updates so far just seem to be mostly addressing deficiencies relative to the PS4 OS that will give them greater parity. Both still have a long way to go in fulfilling the full promise of these OSes.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It just feels strange because last year they had the PS4 reveal in February, along with several game announcements. That's not a normal thing.

KoopaTheCasual

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm confused what MS have announced or shown outside of Titanfall and 2 small OS updates. Some people are keen to push the narrative Sony are in trouble and have no games while MS have tons of games announced.

Both console makers have been relatively quiet, people need to stop thinking last years multiple event info blow outs were the norm. MS and Sony won't announce anything at all until E3.

This is always my question too. No one ever answers it. We've seen more from Sony studios than we've seen from MS published titles.

mobius006

m6PQ0I9.gif

The Dark Souls of Moderators indeed.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
yeah, if there's one thing you can count on sony for, it's not announcing games long before they're close to ready or having media of them relentlessly disseminated in three second GIF form to the point of nausea.

I have lost the ability to decipher with you which is your desire to stir the hive (and there is a very real and very persistent hive) and what is you being argumentative for the sake of sport.

Sony announces games before E3 - Why are they announcing everything?! E3 will suck! No surprises!

Sony keeps quiet - Where the games?! DOOMED

PhatSaqs

Banned
What exactly has MS been promoting game wise besides Titanfall these last few months? They certainly haven't said much more about what's coming in the back half of the year than Sony has.

As for OS updates, sure, would love to see some meatier updates soon. But MS' updates so far just seem to be mostly addressing deficiencies relative to the PS4 OS that will give them greater parity. Both still have a long way to go in fulfilling the full promise of these OSes.
Pretty much. MS just seems more active because really, they have to be since theyre in catch up mode.

fred

Why mention The Last Guardian..? It should have been pretty clear to everyone for a while now that the game was vapourware. A shame because I was really looking forward to it. :eek:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom