• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rappers sorted by size of vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.
abatman195b.jpg
storms coming

RELAYER

Banned
What's shocking to me is that Tupac go beaten by ICP of all things

Tupac's lyrics were never the most important thing about him.
His strengths were his flow, good beats, emotion and his legendary voice.

Plus Tupac's rapping is kind of condensed into a small window of time.

terrisus

5'000 of 7 works.

Alright, that makes more sense.

Still, restricting it to only 35,000 is extremely arbitrary.

If they want some sort of way to be able to compare across people with different quantities of work, just do a unique words per words used average or something.

terrisus

If he went total words, it'd be skewed in favor of older artists.

5000 words for seven of his plays, totaling 35000.

-->

If they want some sort of way to be able to compare across people with different quantities of work, just do a unique words per words used average or something.

TasTokyo

I don't really buy the arbitrary "within the first 35,000" limit.

EDIT: And for Shakespeare it's apparently even more arbitrarily only 5,000 words.

It's not totally arbitrary though. He states that he choose it so that he could compare newer artists and older ones. I'm guessing there are a fair number of new artists he wanted to fit in where 35,000 words was just below their total output.

Also it is 35,000 for Shakespeare as well. He states " I used the first 5,000 words for 7 of Shakespeare's works: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello, Macbeth, As You Like It, Winter's Tale, and Troilus and Cressida." So 5,000 X 7 = 35,000.

terrisus

It's not totally arbitrary though. He states that he choose it so that he could compare newer artists and older ones. I'm guessing there are a fair number of new artists he wanted to fit in where 35,000 words was just below their total output.

Also it is 35,000 for Shakespeare as well. He states " I used the first 5,000 words for 7 of Shakespeare's works: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello, Macbeth, As You Like It, Winter's Tale, and Troilus and Cressida." So 5,000 X 7 = 35,000.

--->

Cool list, but having a good command of figurative language and raw emotion matters the most when it comes to making memorable lyrics.

Cool list, but having a good command of figurative language and raw emotion matters the most when it comes to making memorable lyrics.

David Foster Wallace had a huge vocabulary yet his prose was tedious and cold. It's not how many words you know that matter, it's how you use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom