• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Rumor Discussion Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Upon further internal discussion we've decided to go with this since some rather credible people are vouching for it.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5784190/mario-maker-nintendo-e3-2014-rumor

mario_maker_leak.jpg

evdScYA.png

Assuming this gets SMB3 and SMW DLC down the line, it sounds cool. The standard for Mario ROM hacks and stuff is pretty high, mind, so I sure hope Nintendo packs a good feature set into this thing.

Probably just a small eShop game, mind. Can't see this being a big deal.

It's one of those ideas that scream, "really? they've never done this before?"

It's about time. Hope you can use more updated graphics than the original SMB's tile set. I'd love one for Sonic too coincidentally.
And no, that shitty flash game doesn't count.

Cool idea if true. Stand is in an odd spot considering it's just character posters as you go down that section, which is why it looks fake.

Please don't be the 90 minute discussion, it looks ok, but I don't want to see Nintendo spend 90 minutes on something like this.

Also, I'd honestly prefer a 3D Mario level maker.

Penguin

As I said in one of the other dozen threads about this

If this is real, I could see it being their big NFC title.

Using old school reference, could import other heroes and enemies by collecting their figures. Sort of like Disney Infinity Sandbox mode.

A Nintendo version of Super mario Crossover

Cartman86

Banned
Being exactly like the Smash banners really makes it seem like a fake. Like it's part of that demo area (tournament?) Though I thought we would have seen the original photo by now if so.

Yep, this is the 90 minutes 3DS roundtable game. All I hope now is for a good feature set, some multiplayer and SMB3/ maybe SMW content.

Please don't be the 90 minute discussion, it looks ok, but I don't want to see Nintendo spend 90 minutes on something like this.

If it ends up being the discussion, I sure hope we get Tezuka, Miyamoto and other 2D Mario vets/developers talking about designing stages, maybe giving live demos of the game and answer questions about it. That's probably the only way I could tolerate it being the discussion game
and not Advance Wars :(

Sandfox

That looks like the Wii U stylus so I'm guessing its going to be be a level editor on the eshop that will let you share your levels with friends.

I don't know, seems like something Nintendo would do. It could be one of the "gamepad games" they announced awhile back and it could release really quickly....think NES Remix.

RagnarokX

Whoa. Hopefully this signals the death of the "N" series!

You would rather have what appears to be a game where you edit SMB1 levels than the best 2D Mario games and true evolutions of the franchise? The hate the New series gets is truly astounding.

P33KAJ3W

Neo Member
Could be a cash cow...

Add-on packs for smb 2+3. Multiple characters via NFC figures. Nintendo theme sets to retexture elements (Zelda, Starfox, Metroid...)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I usually get super excited about level editors for 10 minutes, then I realise I'm about 10% finished creating something playable and I give up.

Also 90% of custom levels made by other players are terrible("I put 10 Hammer Bros in a row, have fun!").

I would however love to play around with something like this if it included Super Mario Bros. 3 designs and physics.

Hatchtag

Banned
Hoping it has more sprites to chose from than just that. There's so many Mario level editors at this point that there's no reason not to make an official one. But hopefully it's well fleshed out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is it weird that I'd be more interested in this if this was a 3D level editor?

Can't see how this can be any more enticing than how people have created their own Mario or Mario-esque levels (in some cases, entire games) already.

Elija2

It's certainly a great idea and would make good use of the GamePad, but we'll see if it's real or not. I honestly think that something like this should have existed for a long time on the Wii or DS since it's such an obviously brilliant idea. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that it looks like Mario Maker will only use assets from the original Super Mario Bros. When there have been unofficial level editors for newer games like NSMBWii, seeing Nintendo come out with one for an old and outdated Mario game (no offence SMB fans) kinda sucks. Oh well, at least sharing and playing levels would be much easier.

Make your own levels? Presumably share them online?

Eh, could be cool.
Could be very cool if done correctly. There are so many Mario mods and rom hacks; there is indeed a demand for it and if they do it right (i.e. go all LittleBigPlanet on it) then it will sell wonders.

What will make this awesome:

1. Easy map maker
2. Multiple modes and ways, including warp zones and more.
3. Ability to earn more items like an awesome Yoshi or something.
4. Ability to post maps for others to download.
5. Ability to create your own music (i.e. Mario Paint).
6. DLC? I would buy the shit outta legacy DLCs from other Nintendo universe.
7. Ability to create stories e.g. text-based stories similar to LBP.
8. Ability to create multiple levels and connect them i.e. World 1, World 2, etc.
9. Ability to accurately recreate older maps. If Nintendo themselves sell these classic maps and world for $0.99-$1.99 each, it'll sell like gangbuster.

The picture actually seems rather plausible to me for several reasons:

A) Despite the low quality of the photo, the Smash Bros. logos and renders appear in the correct places in a professional manner, with nobody (yet) able to show that the background originates from another E3 photo.

B) Nintendo already has a downloadable pixel art/rom hack series that's met with moderate success.

C) As explained in McWhertor's other tweet, it could fit the bill of a game utilizing NFC figures; buy figurines of certain characters (which could be used with other games as previously stated), and you'll unlock new tile and sprite sets for making levels. Plop Link on and get NES Octoroks and a Bow powerup, etc.

D) It's a low key and "mundane" title. A neat idea, for sure, but not one that someone would go to lengths to fake. Normally Nintendo fakes consist of overwrought "epic mature" fan art of Zelda with a stupid subtitle, or a list of games including sequels to all of the fan favorites from the N64 and GC days.

It could still be fake (Thursday is kind of early to put up logos of unannounced games, the original source for the photo hasn't yet been found), but it's more plausible than any tilted paper fakes so far.

MXAGhost

If it is true, it sound okay. It would not revitalize Nintendo as a company.

It looks to me the game could be a creator/online type endless runner.

Also, I'd honestly prefer a 3D Mario level maker.

A 90 minute talk on Nintendo's approach to designing Super Mario levels or something to that effect would be pretty interesting I think.

Top Bottom