• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker Rumor Discussion Thread

Clefargle

This is a no-brainer, really makes sense to open this up to people. I can't wait until they embrace this sort of thing in their other titles mario kart, zelda, fzero, ect.

Zoc

Meh. I always thought the best levels in LittleBigPlanet were the developer-made ones that came with the game. Even the absolutely most highly rated levels here on Gaf weren't as good, I thought. (Although I didn't play all of them.)

Something like this is less about the power and depth of the tools than it is about the social network and discovery system behind it, which is not an area that I give Nintendo a lot of trust in.

Pikma

Banned
BREAKING NEWS: Nintendo is making a Mario game.

Fucking boring.. This could be one of the shittiest E3 ever for Nintendo (and that's saying a lot) if that's going to be their bomb.

Servbot24

Banned
Please don't be the 90 minute discussion, it looks ok, but I don't want to see Nintendo spend 90 minutes on something like this.

Also, I'd honestly prefer a 3D Mario level maker.

I can't really think of many games that could fill a 90 minute discussion. One with lots of customization could be one of them.

Fucking boring.. This could be one of the shittiest E3 ever for Nintendo (and that's saying a lot) if that's going to be their bomb.

I doubt it's their "bomb" if they're being so loose about setting up posters of it 5 days before their show actually starts. It's more likely another ~$15 downloadable title that will be available right after the show similar to NES Remix.

Nintendo is seriously this out of ideas? They can't even be bothered to rehash their own games. We have to do it for them?

Is it weird that I'd be more interested in this if this was a 3D level editor?

Can't see how this can be any more enticing than how people have created their own Mario or Mario-esque levels (in some cases, entire games) already.

I agree. Imagine a 3D World stage maker DLC, with options for main stages and Captain Toad stages.

Kind of crazy but a 2D Mario editor was something I thought could be announced as a way to get a yearly holiday Mario title while being unique to NSMB and 3D World.
This is the first time any of my wild ideas have be close to right (I thought you would get to draw sprites too). Maybe wild dreams can come true. Wow.

ignata

"We heard you wanted some new games. Please understand, we are very busy working on our QoL project. In the mean time, here is a level editor to make your own games! You can share them with your friends via punch cards that you can fax to each other."

I love you, Nintendo. That's why I tease.

sn00zer

Using NES tiles to make levels seems a bit outdated compared to literally every level building game our there..... I assume its just a small downloadable title

lt519

I don't see this being a 3DS game so I doubt it. I'm honestly expecting the 3DS conferences to be Majora's Mask 3D.

90 minutes to discuss a remake, doubtful.

As for a Mario Maker could be great but if it's restricted to NES era gameplay I probably wouldn't bother because there isn't much variety there.

Mik2121

An actual Mario level editor would be quite great if the game itself plays like all the other Mario games. Still not sure about this, and I find it funny that it's always these kind of photos that are all blurry and shit.

Oh well, if real, great. If not, whatever.

NateDrake

Let's bitch about a (more than likely) cheap digital game that isn't even confirmed! Some of you need to relax.

If it a nice little digital-only game for a low price with good online integration, this could be a cool idea for the company.

Woffls

Uhhhh huh :/

This will not be a significant reveal for Nintendo. It will get get a few minutes of talk in the 3DS section, and some streaming for the Treehouse thing later.

RagnarokX

I doubt it's their "bomb" if they're being so loose about setting up posters of it 5 days before their show actually starts. It's more likely another ~$15 downloadable title that will be available right after the show similar to NES Remix.

At least they hung sheets over NSMBWii:
jeYbqye.jpg

ZExipkt.jpg

AzaK

This could be big!

They could also integrate their NFP into it so you can add "Edit packs" and things.

daydream

Banned
Could be interesting. I remember I had a Mario clone on my calculator in school and a separate level creator app which we used to make levels in. Very fun.

Don't know why I bring that up when I could also talk about SMW romhacks. Some seriously amazing ones out there. If they could provide something similar to Lunar Magic, that would be incredible.

LOL you got it buddy.

mrhej

Out of curiosity, has anything from Nintendo even been leaked from a banner or booth a few days before an E3?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My evaluation of the rumour:
+ It's totally plausible that something like this could leak from the E3 show floor
+ The would-be source of the photo isn't someone claiming to have secret insider info, they're someone claiming to have seen something they weren't supposed to have yet.
+ The banner, name, and concept do not seem like the typical kind of invented fan nonsense; it's not Zelda: Curse of the Crushed Bone Skull Warrior or whatever.
+ The idea easily interacts with NFC, and fits well with the idea that Nintendo is having a roundtable about a game they're announcing
+ It sort of follows up the NES Remix and I guess reflects a kind of direction Nintendo's been poking at recently
+ McWhertor is presumably saying he has confidence because he knows this is in fact real, but it's not clear how he knows, because if it was from some sort of long-lead pre-E3 event, he'd presumably be NDA'd and commenting on this would probably not be ideal

- It is clear to me that the original site just ran whatever got sent to them, and did absolutely no due diligence in checking the source or asking for followup
- The photo is low quality as hell, which is a classic hallmark of fake stuff
- The other banner images, eg Pikachu, look a bit like stock art and not as much like banner art.

Out of curiosity, has anything from Nintendo been leaked from a banner a few days before an E3?

Yes, New Super Mario Bros Wii. Someone posted photos of Nintendo's section of E3, all under thick drapes, but the shape of the shadows visible under the drapes was unmistakable and people (I'm pretty sure our very own Crushed/EmCeeGramr) identified it.

Hatchtag

Banned
Nope. Trolls gonna troll.

Not everyone who disagrees with your opinions are trolls. A lot of people would probably agree 2010 was Nintendo's only good conference of the 2010s.

That said, I doubt this is anything big. Probably just a NES Remix type title. A shame that it's not a 3D stage builder, because there's not many of those and there's already a lot of 2D stage builders.

I think the real news here is that we see Villager, Pikachu and Kirby on the larger signs. Obviously they're labeled with the Smash logos but...well.. I think we're due for a Animal Crossing on the Wii U, A Pokemon game on the Wii U and a Kirby game on the Wii U.

There's a sign above it that's very clearly the Smash logo. Not saying those titles won't be there, but probably not in this section of the booths.

I think the real news here is that we see Villager, Pikachu and Kirby on the larger signs. Obviously they're labeled with the Smash logos but...well.. I think we're due for a Animal Crossing on the Wii U, A Pokemon game on the Wii U and a Kirby game on the Wii U.

Top Bottom