• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extant - Halle Berry sci-fi show - CBS Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

So far, not bad. It's not quite up to the movie like production values promised, but looks interesting. I'm worried it is throwing out too many ideas, while attached to a slow dramatic pace, for it to gain traction.

Things are starting to fall into place now. I have a strong feeling this is going to be a show where everything is connected.

zroid

Banned
nice thread title, lmao

anyway I just stumbled across this on the program guide without knowing anything about it. description sounded intriguing so I set the PVR. 30 minutes in and I'm liking it so far.

royalan

Is that the consensus is that she's a shitty actress?

No, Halle's a great actress.

She just pissed off nerds with her portrayal of Storm. Oh, and had a really graphic sex scene in the movie she won her Best Actress oscar for.

Anyway, I wanted to watch this, but I've been so busy lately I forgot it was on tonight. Is it going to be streaming anywhere? When's it airing again?

She just pissed off nerds with her portrayal of Storm. Oh, and had a really graphic sex scene in the movie she won her Best Actress oscar for.

Anyway, I wanted to watch this, but I've been so busy lately I forgot it was on tonight. Is it going to be streaming anywhere? When's it airing again?

I will cut you.

She is not great. Decent, sure. But not great.

royalan

I will cut you.

She is not great. Decent, sure. But not great.

She was fantastic in Losing Isaiah, one of the least annoying parts of Cloud Atlas, and genuinely deserved her oscar for Monster Ball--the character work she does in that one still gives me chills. She was also great in BAPS.

Halle does her best work in smaller character dramas (and, surprisingly, comedy). Her portrayal of Storm and Catwoman are really the only smudges on her resume that make people question her acting ability.

FTF

nice thread title, lmao

anyway I just stumbled across this on the program guide without knowing anything about it. description sounded intriguing so I set the PVR. 30 minutes in and I'm liking it so far.

Hmmm, yeah needs a new title.

Any suggestions anyone?

How about: Extanted stay with Halle Berry?

Edit: lol nvm

She was fantastic in Losing Isaiah, one of the least annoying parts of Cloud Atlas, and genuinely deserved her oscar for Monster Ball--the character work she does in that one still gives me chills. She was also great in BAPS.

Halle does her best work in smaller character dramas (and comedy). Her portrayal of Storm and Catwoman are really the only smudges on her resume that make people question her acting ability.

1. -_-

2. Exactly, which is why I left my statement open ended. She's probably going to do fine. But a GREAT actor can handle ANY role thrown at them.

She just pissed off nerds with her portrayal of catwoman. Oh, and had a really graphic sex scene in the movie she won her Best Actress oscar for.

FTFY

royalan

1. -_-

2. Exactly, which is why I left my statement open ended. She's probably going to do fine. But a GREAT actor can handle ANY role thrown at them.

1. Hey, I can put up with a lot, but we will NOT be dissing BAPS. Hood classic. XD

2. Not true. Even Meryl Streep has some shitty movies. And what was the movie Charlize Theron made immediately after her breakout role in Monster? Aeon Flux...

1. Hey, I can put up with a lot, but we will NOT be dissing BAPS. Hood classic. XD

2. Not true. Even Meryl Streep has some shitty movies. And what was the movie Charlize Theron made immediately after her breakout role in Monster? Aeon Flux...

She still won't qualify for me as great. :]

ivysaur12

Banned
Still haven't watched, but I heard this show goes full steam ahead to Stupid Town very quickly. Which is sad if true -- I hope it's at least enjoyable.

zroid

Banned
Finished the episode... definitely on board with it for now, pushes the right buttons for me.

I've seen like bus stop ads for this but I have no idea what this show is about. Brief synopsis?

I posted this elsewhere:

premise is
she's an astronaut who just returned home from a 13 month solo mission. upon taking a medical examination, something inexplicable is discovered. the series also seems to be tackling the topic of AI in a significant way.

AlexMogil

My high school friend Mickey created, wrote, and is EP and director on this show. I'm insanely jealous and thrilled for the guy. His story is just amazing.

I slapped a quick title change on the thread since it'll work as the OT. If you want something different, just send me a PM and we'll work it out. I'll catch up on this sometime later in the week.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I was wondering where the thread for this was

My high school friend Mickey created, wrote, and is EP and director on this show. I'm insanely jealous and thrilled for the guy. His story is just amazing.

Freakin awesome!

Still haven't watched, but I heard this show goes full steam ahead to Stupid Town very quickly. Which is sad if true -- I hope it's at least enjoyable.

Yeah I haven't watched it yet but I'm skeptical of any network "sci fi" show nowadays, pretty much since the X Files (although I say that and I missed out on BSG's original run...). I'm holding out and hoping it'll be worth catching up on

Vlad

Can't figure out if I liked it or not. I couldn't help but wonder if they're ever going to explain why she was on a solo mission in the first place. You'd think that they wouldn't keep people up there by themselves for more than a year, simply for safety reasons.

A little slow, and it jumps a little too quickly into the robot
going from being cherubic but cold to budding serial killer behavior
but the drama seems intriguing

"Do you know what happens to a random Sci-Fi show on CBS?"

*dramatic pause/audience bewilderment*

"The same thing that happens to everything else."

Eh I'll try and catch it as I do with every new genre show.

Yeah but this is network TV (CBS), I always imagine if movie stars wanted to switch to TV, they would go for cable instead cos those are more prestigious. If this was on Showtime or even FX, it wouldn't seem like her career has fallen so far.

Isn't she writing and producing for the show too?

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah but this is network TV (CBS), I always imagine if movie stars wanted to switch to TV, they would go for cable instead cos those are more prestigious. If this was on Showtime or even FX, it wouldn't seem like her career has fallen so far.

It doesn't really matter -- she'll make more money doing network television anyways for only 13 episode seasons and she can still do movies. It's the best of both worlds, like Bacon on The Following.

Just because you go to cable also doesn't guarantee that what you do is a smash hit with prestige.

Isn't she writing and producing for the show too?

Definitely not writing.

DJ_Lae

Just finished watching it with my wife.

Not sure how I felt about it. Parts were interesting, other parts (the majority of the show) were insanely slow, and there were some unintentionally hilarious bits when she was watching the security footage playback.

The kid, too.

Will keep watching for now, it has me interested at least. Plus it's not as if there's much else on.

I forgot that they ran an ad for the Giver while this ran. So how many years are we going to go before Hollywood gets sick of teeny-bopper post-apoc flicks?

I'm shocked no one has pitched a remake of Logan's Run yet

Kvik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom