• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extant - Halle Berry sci-fi show - CBS Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

What does that have to do with faith in the showrunner? Terrible shows get series orders all the time.

Well, you obviously know more about it than I do, but it's been a while since I saw a sci-fi show on CBS, and this particular one got all 13 straight up, they must've done something right. /shrugs

Aaron

I forgot that they ran an ad for the Giver while this ran. So how many years are we going to go before Hollywood gets sick of teeny-bopper post-apoc flicks?

I'm shocked no one has pitched a remake of Logan's Run yet
There's been various plans at a remake in the works for like a decade. The current one is being written by that Bioshock guy.

ItIsOkBro

Yeah but this is network TV (CBS), I always imagine if movie stars wanted to switch to TV, they would go for cable instead cos those are more prestigious. If this was on Showtime or even FX, it wouldn't seem like her career has fallen so far.

Idk man more viewership, probably more pay, and CBS has shows like POI starring Jesus, network TV isn‘t bad.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, you obviously know more about it than I do, but it's been a while since I saw a sci-fi show on CBS, and this particular one got all 13 straight up, they must've done something right. /shrugs

Like Under the Dome? I mean, I don't think "doing something right" for a CBS exec means the same thing it would for a sophisticated viewer -- they're looking for the broadest possible show with international appeal, not necessarily intellectually stimulating television.

Kvik

Like Under the Dome? I mean, I don't think "doing something right" for a CBS exec means the same thing it would for a sophisticated viewer -- they're looking for the broadest possible show with international appeal, not necessarily intellectually stimulating television.

Did Under the Dome got greenlit for the initial 13 episodes as well? Nevertheless, I suppose it's true what you said. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to sci-fi but I dropped Under the Dome after its 3rd episode. I can't believe they greenlit another season of it now. :-\

Calabi

Can't figure out if I liked it or not. I couldn't help but wonder if they're ever going to explain why she was on a solo mission in the first place. You'd think that they wouldn't keep people up there by themselves for more than a year, simply for safety reasons.

Or for sanity reasons, being isolated makes you go mad. Maybe that's what the film is about she's crazy and its all delusions.

Vert boil

You forgot to gif her running :)

That would be perverted and wrong
69i4s59.png

Despera

Banned
Press "X" to Ethan :p

I don't know why I have a feeling this will either end up becoming too cliche or too ridiculous. But at the moment I'm kinda intrigued.

Awaiting the next ep.

DominoKid

When Molly was watching herself on the camera I couldn't help but thing she was about to start fucking the air. I blame Penny Dreadful.

DieH@rd

Banned
I very much liked first episode! Will watch more.

Kudos to producers, they managed to create very convincing "futuristic" world. Much more cohesive than the "creative junkyard" that was called "Almost Human".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I very much liked first episode! Will watch more.

Kudos to producers, they managed to create very convincing "futuristic" world. Much more cohesive than the "creative junkyard" that was called "Almost Human".

100% agree.

The synopsis sounds pretty interesting, will check this out over the weekend.

Not sure about Halle though, never really found her to be a very interesting actress.

It was a very good pilot. Reminded me of A.I. feat. Solaris feat. Species but let's wait and see how the story develops. And gotta agree, the level of detail so far is really good. Many little Sci-Fi gadgets.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
How is Berry's career doing? An Oscar-winning film actress doing network television isn't a good omen.

it's not. I truly believe her Oscar was a fluke and while I LOVE sci-fi, I had to skip this show when I found out she was the lead.

Good pilot, always nice to see some SciFi with a budget. Lots of cool little things that made the futuristic world feel real.

Only thing that irked me was the cheap-ass sound design. The background music and sound effects sounded straight out of 90's horror movie shit, as if they took the most overused samples and made that their effect library. Most obvious in the scene where she first sees the guy on the ship, and he writes "help me".

Or my OCD is getting worse with age.

Faith

I think there will be only one season like Almost Human but I'm going to enjoy it :)

Really liked the first episode.

Feran

Watched it this morning and found myself enjoying it surprisingly. Hope it doesn't pull another Almost Human but I'll keep watching. :( Also I don't know why but I got really interested in that sci fi trash can hahaha

trinest

Is it me or is the boy/father/corporation story seem familure? As in father makes a boy or something which he presents but fails only to be allowed to research it further because of the corporations creator investing in it? Like has that been done before?

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Just got done watching it. I love the look of the show and the story seems promising. I'm sure it will get cancelled though.

Replicant

I like it but I think there are too many separate thread strains that do not seem to have any connection whatsoever.

* A ghostly entity in space capable of impregnating woman.
* An AI gone berserk and not as friendly as its creator thought.
* A Japanese company/investor with mysterious intention.
* People who supposed to be dead end up turning alive.

I think just dealing with one or at the most, two topics above should have been enough in the series. But hey, if they can pull off connecting all 4 separate threads into one cohesive storyline then I'd be impressed.

I like it but I think there are too many separate thread strains that do not seem to have any connection whatsoever.

* A ghostly entity in space capable of impregnating woman.
* An AI gone berserk and not as friendly as its creator thought.
* A Japanese company/investor with mysterious intention.
* People who supposed to be dead end up turning alive.

I think just dealing with one or at the most, two topics above should have been enough in the series. But hey, if they can pull off connecting all 4 separate threads into one cohesive storyline then I'd be impressed.

The thing is they are already all connected.

The ghostly entity is known about by the japanese company investor. The people who are "dead" are all connected to ISEA in one way or another. The AI is connected to the Japanese investor who is trying to keep the scientists working on it under his thumb.

It's all connected already. We as the viewer just need more details. If everything was explained straight away why bother watching the show?

The only mystery so far is did she get it on with space ghost? Too bad she trashed the file before we saw the good stuff.

I really like the pilot so far though. The AI thing is a bit hokey but we'll see where it goes.

Nameless

Catching up on this now. Halle Berry and Outer Space...two of my favorite things ever. Hopefully it's good.

danwarb

It's OK. Halle Berry is good, but the world they've created is full of inconsistencies, silly ideas a decent science adviser could have saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom