• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extant - Halle Berry sci-fi show - CBS Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbztrk

My high school friend Mickey created, wrote, and is EP and director on this show. I'm insanely jealous and thrilled for the guy. His story is just amazing.

Ask him for Halle Berry's phone number and PM it to me?

Thanks!

Just kidding... Not really.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You know what, I'm so desperate for some serialized television, I put aside my distaste and personal feelings for Halle and have now seen the first 3 episodes. (it's on right after Big Brother so I figured, eh I may as well give it a shot, there's so little sci-fi on nowadays as it is).

I'm..... liking it quite a bit so far! VERY worried for Halle's friend (Cameron Manheim (sp?) the chick that used to be on The Practice). I like how many different threads are going on, and how it all seems related. The show is ambitious at least, and once I set aside my hatred of Halle Berry's butchering of Storm in the Xmen movies, I actually am liking her a surprising amount on this show. She legit had me tear up a bit in the bedroom scene when she spills the truth to her husband....

Future

Wasn't a big fan of the last episode. Stakes are exactly the same and not much new information. Creepy robot is still creepy, Halle is still seeing things, and the corporation is still shady. A little slow going

Still interesting though.

Wasn't a big fan of the last episode. Stakes are exactly the same and not much new information. Creepy robot is still creepy, Halle is still seeing things, and the corporation is still shady. A little slow going

Still interesting though.

Yeah the story hasn't progressed much since the pilot, just kind of filling in the blanks, which is OK for a show just starting out I guess. Hopefully a major cliffhanger/twist/mystery awaits in episode 4.

Nameless

The second episode much better than the pilot. But there better be a real payoff with the Cylon kid. Honestly, I feel like I've seen the whole creepy child storyline a hundred times and have no interest in watching him give off ominous vibes all season. I'd be shocked if he doesn't start predicting future events.

The overall atmosphere of the show is pretty great, though. I love seeing the ways in which new and advanced technology have been integrated into society. The world feels undeniably futuristic but not unfamiliar. It's how I'd expect someone from the 60s or 70s to interpret a glimpse of the present day.

I stopped watching the second episode after ~20 minutes. Difficult to say why I don't enjoy the show as much as I hoped. Maybe it's the slow pace, maybe it's the kid. Kids on TV shows can be annoying and this kid even is written as an annoying character. Worst combination ever! ;-)

This show needs to pick up the pace. It's already been three episodes and all the information gained could've been comfortably slotted into the pilot.

I'll stick around for a few more episodes though. Hopefully it will pay off.

Nemesis_

You know what, I'm so desperate for some serialized television, I put aside my distaste and personal feelings for Halle and have now seen the first 3 episodes. (it's on right after Big Brother so I figured, eh I may as well give it a shot, there's so little sci-fi on nowadays as it is).

I'm..... liking it quite a bit so far! VERY worried for Halle's friend (Cameron Manheim (sp?) the chick that used to be on The Practice). I like how many different threads are going on, and how it all seems related. The show is ambitious at least, and once I set aside my hatred of Halle Berry's butchering of Storm in the Xmen movies, I actually am liking her a surprising amount on this show. She legit had me tear up a bit in the bedroom scene when she spills the truth to her husband....

I think it's disingenuous to blame the portrayal of Storm on Halle Berry, there were so many more issues with those films, especially the second and third ones, that contributed to the butchering of the character.

As for Extant, keen to see where this goes but I do wonder about the longevity of it all. It feels like it could be done and dusted within a season
and given the ratings they should probably look at wrapping it up within this one too

One thing I hate with TV shows is that I have to wait for a whole week to see the next ep.

So my question to you fellow sci fi addicts, any really good Scifi TV series out there that has already finished ?

I have seen Lost and fringe. I loved them both. Anything else ?

No star trek or babylon 5 please.

nOoblet16

One thing I hate with TV shows is that I have to wait for a whole week to see the next ep.

So my question to you fellow sci fi addicts, any really good Scifi TV series out there that has already finished ?

I have seen Lost and fringe. I loved them both. Anything else ?

No star trek or babylon 5 please.

Battle Star Galactica.

Stargate SG-1? But not a real insider and everyone should have seen it by now. So, maybe Warehouse 13? Not that much Sci-Fi with space, space ships and so on but still a nice little show with sci-fi/ fantasy elements.

Thanks guys, stargate and these kinds of shows are not really want I am looking for. Low budget stuff do not sit well with me :)

I want something high end, like lost or fringe. Fantasy like Game of thrones type of shows are also welcome. I guess it´s hard to find anything like these shows.

DieH@rd

Banned
The Lost Room miniseries from SyFy is some of the best fiction storytelling they ever done in that format. Just 3 episodes, but totally amazing.

Thanks guys, stargate and these kinds of shows are not really want I am looking for. Low budget stuff do not sit well with me :)

I want something high end, like lost or fringe. Fantasy like Game of thrones type of shows are also welcome. I guess it´s hard to find anything like these shows.

Orphan Black probably. If you don't like space operas like BSG, Firefly, Farscape then there's not much. SyFy shows like Continuum, Defiance, Warehouse 13 are decent but the budgets are pretty woeful.

AlexMogil

They moved a repeat of Criminal Minds into 9 pm, if that tells you anything.

Right, I saw that. I can see them dragging the show around time slots to kill gaps, but taking it completely off the air seems a bit desperate. Money's already spent.

Unless Criminal CSI Minds reruns actually pulls better ratings.

Right, I saw that. I can see them dragging the show around time slots to kill gaps, but taking it completely off the air seems a bit desperate. Money's already spent.

Unless Criminal CSI Minds reruns actually pulls better ratings.

They have an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime so they'll keep the season going for sure. In fact, the Prime deal sort of helped Under the Dome secure a 2nd season so there may still be hope. But I'm afraid Extant's viewership is dropping a lot quicker than Under the Dome's 1st season.

wildfire

Banned
Moved to 10 pm. Word these past few days is the show is about to get cancelled. :(

Not surprised. I like it but the pacing "feels" so slow. Also some of the characters come off as ridiculous and unrelateable like the father/professor and their family unit.

It doesn't matter if the money was spent. What matters is if the show is making them less revenue than it's predecessors or replacements.

Not surprised. I like it but the pacing "feels" so slow. Also some of the characters come off as ridiculous and unrelateable like the father/professor and their family unit.

I'm waiting for the reveal that everyone is an android. The only character that seems a little lively is Meryl Streep's daughter who plays the nanny to the child-bot.

AlexMogil

It doesn't matter if the money was spent. What matters is if the show is making them less revenue than it's predecessors or replacements.

I guess I see that, yeah. I mean it's all a prediction and crap shoot. Maybe that's why there are replacement shows like "Victoria's Secret Runway Surprise!"

Easy money.

Pretty good episode tonight. I'm happy there's been more developments although they're being really stingy with info on the baby thing. I mean, can we see the results of the DNA test? Why would they just leave in the garage?

Next episode looks promising enough. But they're probably going to show it from Berry's perspective so we again have no idea what's going on.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm going to have to jump ship on this one.

I enjoyed the first 3 episodes, but with the dwindling ratings and the horribly boring episode last night, I'm done with this show. My mood was already pretty foul going into it yesterday when I discovered they changed the timeslot (never a good sign) and there's now a one hour gap between Big Brother and Extant. I shut it off halfway through tbh

Really liked last episode of this.

Man, you kinda feel sorry for the Ethan though, he's undergoing a lot of traumatic shit - I wouldn't blame him for turning a-human.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
After 3 episodes, I like it enough to keep watching, but it hasn't put a choke hold on me yet. I really like the "realistic future" they've created, but none of the characters are very interesting. Kid has a good psychopath face though.

I thought the show jumped the shark by the third episode.. it completely underwhelmed in pacing, story progression, .. just about everything. Haven't watched the new episode yet, I think I'll give it another chance. Absolutely loved the pilot and setup.

nOoblet16

This show won't last, the pacing is off and the plot hasn't moved anywhere since the first episode. No idea what the hell is going on or where it's headed in any of the plot even after 4 episodes. If you want the viewers to continue being engaged you need to answer some questions. So far everyone just seems to be doing...stuff. Such a waste of potential.

nOoblet16

When that guy was looking at the test result and it cuts away to show the other dude entering the room and I was like "Jesus they are doing this again !" Then the dude leaves and Sparks goes back to looking at the machine again for 10 seconds all the while I'm asking for it to not cut away and then bam ! It cuts away from the scene. What the shit ?

Faith

When that guy was looking at the test result and it cuts away to show the other dude entering the room and I was like "Jesus they are doing this again !" Then the dude leaves and Sparks goes back to looking at the machine again for 10 seconds all the while I'm asking for it to not cut away and then bam ! It cuts away from the scene. What the shit ?
I think the kid is from Marcus.

r1chard

I just finished the first episode and I found it to be ham-fisted - especially the music, but the directing also. Pacing is all over the place but mostly just dull. Characters seemed all over the place and I just don't care about any of them.

But that music. Felt like I was being beaten over the head with it.

Won't be watching a second episode.

Defying Gravity has come up in comparisons and it was far superior, IMO. Gonna go watch some of that again now to get this out of my system.

nOoblet16

Wheeyyy...some answers finally !
But still donno wtf is happening...I can't see this show going anywhere after season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom