• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Married |OT| S2 - a comedy starring Judy Greer and Nat Faxon - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
_a0716f2a55616de949a905932fef347a.jpg

Tucah

you speak so well
I haven't been particularly impressed with the trailers I've seen for this/You're the Worst but I hope they're good. I always give FX shows a shot so I'll stick with them for a few weeks at the very least.

- WSJ brief review
A brief word for "Married," an FX entry into the comedy lists that begins with bedroom scenes involving husband Russ (Nat Faxon)—who is suffering unfulfilled sexual cravings for his wife, Lina (Judy Greer), lying next to him immersed in her vampire novel and, apparently for the duration, uninterested in Nat. Vivid displays of Nat's compensatory activities, under a blanket, follow. There is more of the same another night, and more of the same talk about it, especially how boring this has all become for Lina. Never mind Lina. There's a rule—when portraying the effects of boredom, it's best to avoid inflicting same on the audience. That said, "Married" turns out in succeeding episodes to be an increasingly sturdy comedy-drama of married life—dour, but recognizable, with strong performances from Ms. Greer and Mr. Faxon.
- Tuned In: Summertime sitcoms fizzle
With two new shows, “Married” (10 p.m. July 17) and “You’re the Worst” (10:30 p.m. July 17), FX embraces the downbeat ethos of its critical hit “Louie.” Call it the “Louie”-fication of FX, especially when it comes to “Married,” a comedy to slit your wrists by.

That’s not to say “Married” is a bad show. There are some terrifically funny lines and it’s intellectually funny, but not often ha-ha funny and the situations are dark and depressing.

- Forbes review

Perhaps there are some that would like to watch a series about dull people living dull lives while constantly complaining about how dull it is, but there are many that don’t. If Married is meant to be a reflection of middle-class America on the level of Malcolm in the Middle or Shamless, it’s failed. If Married is meant to be a crass comedy that doesn’t care what you think of it, it’s failed. No matter how you slice it, Married is a series with little redeeming qualities, especially when there are better versions of its ideas already running on the same network.

- Variety review
This kind of series still requires a deft touch, even with the expanded license FX offers to explore sexual situations more frankly than in the broadcast realm.
It’s to Greer’s credit, moreover, that she manages to make Lina more fleshed out than just a tiresome scold, since this portrait of “Married” life tilts heavily toward Russ’ perspective.
- RogerEbert.com review
There’s so much talent here and a bit of promising direction for the characters in that fourth episode that I could see "Married" turn it around but, to start, it’s a true disappointment, especially given how often Faxon and Greer have made what they appeared in before just a bit better.
- Denver Post review
The first time I watched the pilot episode of FX’s “Married,” I found it to be crass, sad and pessimistic, a not-funny comedy about the tribulations of marriage.
The second time I watched, just to make sure, I found it less appealing.
- Metacritic page

A lot of critics, including Andy Greenwald and Poniewozik note that the pilot isn't very good. The show apparently gets better next week with Ep 2.
So, by all means, skip tonight. But if you’ve made it through the last paragraph without gagging, here’s a surprise twist: You really should tune in next week. Comedy pilots are often very different animals than comedy series. Loud and demanding, they’re written to attract the attention of jaded studio execs, not to establish a lasting commitment from an audience. And though Russ and Lina’s union appears shaky at the start, it improves radically in Week 2 thanks to some smart recalibrating.

TripOpt55

I really like the cast, but the pilot didn't do much for me. I will definitely give it a bit more time to see how it turns out though.

Vert boil

Pilot was a bit of a snoozer but it has Gelmania so I'm in for the season.

For something so tame, the music they used for the intro and outro for each segment was pretty grating.

I thought this was pretty funny and kind of mean, which I enjoyed. Had no idea John Hodgman and Brett Gelman were associated, will keep watching.

I thought it was pretty damn funny. Got many laughs out of me. I do wonder if their financial situation will be discussed in more depth since he borrowed $400 so easily. They appear to be living well enough for a largeish family in LA.

"Those nipples that say howdy." Indeed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought that was a solid episode. I like Jenny Slate a lot more here than some of her later Parks and Rec appearances.

I actually liked the pilot a lot more than the second episode; second one felt "safer" if that makes any sense. And those of you enjoying Brett Gelman, all I have to say is EAGLEHEART.

TripOpt55

Episode 3 was definitely my favorite so far. I think the dynamic between the two leads worked better in this plot and I thought whole bit with the Sexting worked well. I thought Reiser was quite good in his role too. I kind of expected her husband to be older though... not sure why, in my head he was though.

Linius

Watching episode two now: "don't do that, be real". That fucking killed me :lol

Episode three now. Funny to see how they turned that Justified location into an hotel for this show.

Watching episode two now: "don't do that, be real". That fucking killed me :lol

Episode three now. Funny to see how they turned that Justified location into an hotel for this show.

Nice. You saw that too.

Episode three felt like it was more focused on Jess and Paul Reiser's characters texting teamwork.. I don't know how if the allotted time was prove that, that's just what it seems like. Not that it was a problem.

Linius

Yeah, I posted about it in Ratsky's summer TV shows thread. There was a split second of the hotel bit in the trailer for Married already. But now we got to see the rest, pretty cool. Works both as a gangster palace and an hotel I guess :p

otapnam

Really liked last night's episode, the college kids were ridiculous and faxon going on about how he didn't checkout college girls cuz he has daughters was great

The show is improving. I haven't found too much of it gut-bustingly funny, but the last few episodes have been amusing and the characters are starting to come together. It's much better when Russ and Lina are working together on something.

TripOpt55

Didn't like this episode as much as last week's but most of the stuff with the frat was funny and the interactions between Russ/Lina. Angel was good too.

Linius

Best episode so far for me. And I want to see Angel coming back every once in a while, he's killing it :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom