• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park to move all past seasons from free on SouthParkStudios to paid Hulu Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...-all-seasons-under-exclusive-pact-1201261659/

The Hulu Plus subscription service will become the exclusive online-streaming home for all past seasons of the long-running Comedy Central show, following the season 18 premiere on the cable channel Sept. 24.

Hulu cut the deal with South Park Digital Studios, a joint venture between Viacom and “South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. In 2008, the South Park partners launched all seasons of the adult-themed animated show in free, ad-supported format on SouthParkStudios.com — but with the new deal, as of this fall those will be streaming only on the $7.99-per month Hulu Plus.
Well this blows.

remnant

Banned
That plus their anime selection might be enough to push me to consistently keep Hulu Plus.

Wait, does the SP content fall under their ad free umbrella?

Memles

Noooo!

I jump on SPS all the time to watch random episodes. Fuck, this sucks.

They're saying there will be 30 episodes there, and intend on rotating the selection available often (although they have no specific plans on how SPS will work moving forward).

remnant

Banned
Yeah, it totally blows how Hulu Plus is so much - oh wait, it's the price of an Extra Value Meal? Never mind.

Hulu's problem has never been the price. It's been the fact that so much content still has ads, and for some reason their ads tend to glitch and fuck with the actual content you want to see.

Hulu's problem has never been the price. It's been the fact that so much content still has ads, and for some reason their ads tend to glitch and fuck with the actual content you want to see?

Ouch, I didn't even know that. Yeah... they're not in any way competitive with Netflix if they charge the same 8 dollars a month but still have annoying ads.

Hulu's problem has never been the price. It's been the fact that so much content still has ads, and for some reason their ads tend to glitch and fuck with the actual content you want to see?

I pay for cable, yet it still has ads. Somehow that's not the end of the world. The latter portion is more of an issue, but I don't know, complaining about having access to every single South Park in history for $8 a month, plus all the other stuff Hulu Plus has seems like a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. Then again, I'm an old man who remembers having to tape X-File episodes.

lednerg

Somehow I don't feel entitled to free access to South Park for the rest of my life. I can't say that I'm upset over this.

remnant

Banned
And over half of it only plays on a PC.

What? Shit I didn't even know that.

I pay for cable, yet it still has ads. Somehow that's not the end of the world. The latter portion is more of an issue, but I don't know, complaining about having access to every single South Park in history for $8 a month, plus all the other stuff Hulu Plus has seems like a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. Then again, I'm an old man who remembers having to tape X-File episodes.
Well of course it's not the end of the world, but netflix and amazon(even WWE to a small extent) have proven that you really don't have to choose. Ads used to be seen as a necessary evil to get the stuff you want, but nowadays they are just a burden.

Yes having SP on Hulu is awesome. It would have been more awesome if it was on a platform that didn't have ads, and didn't have a video player that is so flaky.

Somehow I don't feel entitled to free access to South Park for the rest of my life. I can't say that I'm upset over this.

It was never free though because it was ad supported. Now on top of the ad's you have to pay into a service you may or may not want.

i was at a friends house and they were like "let's watch hulu plus"

and then when we started an episode of something and it asked if we'd rather watch a long ad at the beginning, or have ad breaks. i thought it was a joke. having sworn off hulu plus since that moment, this news is awful.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well now Trey and Matt can get gold-plated shark tanks installed next to their pools. Hope it was worth it.

This may be selfishness, but I have a Hulu subscription already for the sole purpose of watching TDS and Colbert during the commute.

So...having all South Park eps on my phone is actually a plus for me.

Well now Trey and Matt can get gold-plated shark tanks installed next to their pools. Hope it was worth it.

Filled with KFC gravy.

81s9TT8.jpg

Ultima_5

Thiis may be selfishness, but I have a Hulu subscription already for the sole purpose of watching TDS and Colbert during the commute.

So...having all South Park eps on my phone is actually a plus for me.

You can get the daily show and Colbert for free on the Comedy Central app last I checked

lednerg

It was never free though because it was ad supported. Now on top of the ad's you have to pay into a service you may or may not want.

So what?

This must be a millennial thing or something; a symptom of being brought up in a time where immediate gratification is the status quo. I see this same self-entitled attitude on YouTube whenever content providers dare ask their fans for a buck or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom