• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park to move all past seasons from free on SouthParkStudios to paid Hulu Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero315

Banned
On one hand it sucks that they won't be free, on the other hand they'll be available on a video player that isn't complete shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what?

This must be a millennial thing or something; a symptom of being brought up in a time where immediate gratification is the status quo. I see this same self-entitled attitude on YouTube whenever content providers dare ask their fans for a buck or two.

lol throwing out the entitled accusations already. nice.

So what?

This must be a millennial thing or something; a symptom of being brought up in a time where immediate gratification is the status quo. I see this same self-entitled attitude on YouTube whenever content providers dare ask their fans for a buck or two.

Its not a "millennial" thing. People tend to react negatively when something they used to get for free is put behind a paywall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Will they be putting all the removed Muhammed episodes back? If not then fuck you Hulu... wait.. we have Hulu Plus.. Well fuck Hulu Plus anyway.

Alchemy

This is a worse situation then what we had before for South Park, so any bitching is justified. Guess I just won't be watching South Park anymore since I won't sub to a video service that double dips with ads.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I would happily pay for Hulu Plus if it removed ads. I've been watching Misfits and really enjoying it, but I have to reload their player at nearly every break because it fails to load an ad and stops working. When I reload, I have to watch another set of ads. I'd pay to have that inconvenience gone. $7.99 is great for the amount of content they offer, but not when I still have to deal with their shit.

B.K.

I thought Trey and Matt were better them this.

Do they really have a choice, though? I know they're the face of South Park and South Park Studios, but at the end of the day, the show belongs to Viacom. Do they really have a say in how it's streamed online?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This changes nothing. There'll be other options to watch any and all episodes for free, so I guess I'll just use them!

Muahahahaha!

menacegif.gif

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
You know i would be ok with this move if only HULU WOULDN'T HAVE ADS AFTER PAYING A FEE! WHY THE FUCK I HAVE TO PAY FOR ADS?!

it might not be their choice though. viacom could be forcing it, but i don't know for sure

Most likely scenario. Matt and Trey have spoke rather positively about peeps watching and downloading the episodes through various means, helped especially in the early days with the publicity.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So because they said that, you are entitled to free South Park. Got it.

Because it was free before, that means expecting it to be free now is acting entitled. Or you're just willfully ignorant of facts. Got it. The episodes on SPS were still ad-supported, bud.

So what?

Of course only millennials would want free content *rolls eyes*

DNAbro

Probably won't watch unless I happen to catch it on TV then. No way would I pay for Hulu just for South Park.

I'm actually kind of shocked how well liked the show is. Are people just better than I am at ignoring the lazy moral/political philosophy the show constantly spews such as "both sides are exactly the same!" and "the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle of these two opposite positions."?

I'm actually kind of shocked how well liked the show is. Are people just better than I am at ignoring the lazy moral/political philosophy the show constantly spews such as "both sides are exactly the same!" and "the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle of these two opposite positions."?

The site was mainly good for being able to watch the episodes that weren't so heavy on that crap.

props to these guys for keeping it free for so long. They never had to do that. Much respect for them.

they must've been offered a ridiculous hard to turn down amount.

What ever happened to the Simpsons episodes being streamed online? I coulda sworn I read something last year about how they were going to be streaming all their episodes online. I forgot where though.

Edit: Found it, it's gonna start this August on FX's app.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to argue about the paywall thing, but one thing I don't get is complaining about Hulu's ads. I used to find it annoying, but paying a buttload more allows you to watch shows instantly on cable.

Want to watch that new show you like? Well wait until it comes to video on Netflix and Prime! No commercials but you gotta wait several months!! Even though many eps have limited availability, at least you can watch a new episode the next day on Hulu. That, I will give it a nod to. Commercials don't bug out for me on the XBone, but No Script on PC can cause issues (heck, it does every timevI use Netflix).

I'm not going to argue about the paywall thing, but one thing I don't get is complaining about Hulu's ads. I used to find it annoying, but paying a buttload more allows you to watch shows instantly on cable.

Want to watch that new show you like? Well wait until it comes to video on Netflix and Prime! No commercials but you gotta wait several months!! Even though many eps have limited availability, at least you can watch a new episode the next day on Hulu. That, I will give it a nod to. Commercials don't bug out for me on the XBone, but No Script on PC can cause issues (heck, it does every timevI use Netflix).

I think many people turned to the internet for content specifically to avoid ads. You pay for cable and now a good deal of the show is taken up by advertisements. I'm not sure how bad the ads are on Hulu, but if it follows the 8-10 minutes of ads for every 20-22 minutes of TV show then I'd not be too happy with it. Especially if it does that thing where the ad pauses if I go to another tab while its playing.

Plus many compare Hulu to Netflix + Amazon Prime which have no ads.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is just as much Matt and Trey's decision as it is Viacom's.

Furthermore, It's extra amusing since they constantly bitched about episodes they did not have the right to broadcast at southparkstudios.com.

Also; Fuck Hulu Plus, paying for an ad supported service... *sigh

Jedi2016

It's got nothing to do with entitlement. I was always under the impression the whole South Park Studios thing was supposed to be a big "fuck you" to all the other companies that charge out the ass for their content. To see them turn that completely around is indeed pretty fucked up.

So what?

This must be an old man thing.

"Rawr kids today, entitled, etc."

Most people don't even bother comparing Netflix/Hulu to cable because cable companies make off like bandits from what they charge you. Not to mention the station itself has to make money. It doesn't make sense to compare Hulu to cable companies.

Netflix proves a company can be successful without ads in the service. Netflix and Hulu are also more comparable than cable and Hulu, so most people wonder why there are ads in Hulu's service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom