• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park to move all past seasons from free on SouthParkStudios to paid Hulu Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, fuck this. Always had it in the background when I was playing through the 2D Mario/Sonic games earlier this year. :(

If the Netherlands version of the site doesn't hold up, I'll just buy the DVDs.

I think many people turned to the internet for content specifically to avoid ads. You pay for cable and now a good deal of the show is taken up by advertisements. I'm not sure how bad the ads are on Hulu, but if it follows the 8-10 minutes of ads for every 20-22 minutes of TV show then I'd not be too happy with it. Especially if it does that thing where the ad pauses if I go to another tab while its playing.

Plus many compare Hulu to Netflix + Amazon Prime which have no ads.

Hulu has 2-4 minutes of ads on a show placed where they would normally go to commercial break. I really don't mind the ads all that much but tend to watch programs on Netflix or Amazon if given a choice to avoid them. Even with ads Hulu is a pretty good deal, especially if you don't have cable.

How is it not self-entitlement? Please explain that to me. Expecting free anything is what entitlement is.

No one is expecting anything free. It was fine the way it was they were still getting paid for people watching the episodes. Now instead of just getting ad's to watch you have to pay into a service you may or may not want on top of getting ad's. Now tell me how is that expecting something free?

I've been watching them from the beginning starting recently so this is disappointing. Just loaded up the next episode and it isn't in HD (but the ads are -_-).

devilhawk

I pay for cable, yet it still has ads. Somehow that's not the end of the world. The latter portion is more of an issue, but I don't know, complaining about having access to every single South Park in history for $8 a month, plus all the other stuff Hulu Plus has seems like a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. Then again, I'm an old man who remembers having to tape X-File episodes.
I pay for HBO and it has no ads and an ad free streaming service.

Hulu has 2-4 minutes of ads on a show placed where they would normally go to commercial break. I really don't mind the ads all that much but tend to watch programs on Netflix or Amazon if given a choice to avoid them. Even with ads Hulu is a pretty good deal, especially if you don't have cable.

Can you go to a different tab while the ad is playing?

I probably wouldn't mind the ads -that- much but I don't watch much TV honestly.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Also, Hulu's missing 3 episodes:

Cripple Fight

Criplease Fight is a great episode. It has the awesome shot-for-shot recreation of the fight from They Live. Wonder why it's missing. I don't think it's much more offensive than their other episodes.

A surprisingly regressive move for the two, considering they were always vocal advocates of how free, unrestrictive streaming could benefit the show. I wonder if they're retiring it.

lednerg

This must be an old man thing.

"Rawr kids today, entitled, etc."

You've got no idea. If we could somehow harness the energy of all the incessant whining about insignificant bullshit, then we could finally destroy the moon.

No one is expecting anything free. It was fine the way it was they were still getting paid for people watching the episodes. Now instead of just getting ad's to watch you have to pay into a service you may or may not want on top of getting ad's. Now tell me how is that expecting something free?

Having to watch ads doesn't make a free thing not free. I'm not sure what you mean.

You do realize the show started airing long before HD was a standard, right?

Yes, but the point in the series I was at was in an improved resolution compared to the first few seasons, and was also in widescreen. Plus the colors seem a little off, and the new player froze halfway through and I had to reload.

Can you go to a different tab while the ad is playing?

I probably wouldn't mind the ads -that- much but I don't watch much TV honestly.

I haven't used the website in years but I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want while it's playing. They also will ask every once in a while if you'd rather just do one longer ad before the show starts. Those ads are generally a minute and a half to three minutes and your done. Usually its a movie trailer or a long game ad.

Here is a screenshot comparison I took. New player on top.
sBpcKvG.jpg

Dead Man

So what?

This must be a millennial thing or something; a symptom of being brought up in a time where immediate gratification is the status quo. I see this same self-entitled attitude on YouTube whenever content providers dare ask their fans for a buck or two.

LOL. I don't think it is self entitled to be pissed that something you could access for free will now have a cost attached.

Getting upset about people getting upset, truly the new entitlement.

lednerg

LOL. I don't think it is self entitled to be pissed that something you could access for free will now have a cost attached.

Getting upset about people getting upset, truly the new entitlement.
I'm getting the feeling that the word entitled has lost its meaning. I'm referring to an unrealistic expectation that one receives exactly what they want just because. I'm not using the word as an insult.

Dead Man

I'm getting the feeling that the word entitled has lost its meaning. I'm referring to an unrealistic expectation that one receives exactly what they want just because. I'm not using the word as an insult.

It read as an insult. You were belittling people for being upset they no longer had free access to a resource they previously had free access to.

Muzy72

Banned
Hulu Plus is complete garbage. Pay $8 a month to watch shows that still have ads, with over half the content not even available on non-computer devices.

Toxi

Banned
I'm actually kind of shocked how well liked the show is. Are people just better than I am at ignoring the lazy moral/political philosophy the show constantly spews such as "both sides are exactly the same!" and "the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle of these two opposite positions."?
Maybe Trey and Matt can make an episode where they show destitute beggars and wall street bankers and then come to the conclusion that the best position is to be only slightly greedy by making people pay for their show.

And then it will all be okay somehow.

Duress

Fuck Hulu and their garbage app on Roku. I look at ads for screens that go no where, freeze ups, and lag input.

Would have preferred to see the content go to all three streaming services. Getting really tired of each service getting various exclusives.

Also, Hulu Plus sucks.

Zaptruder

Banned
Good ol' capitalism.

The free market can be made more efficient by paying creators that were ok with having their stuff be seen freely so that we can gate it behind our closed garden and charge customers for it!

And when the free market benefits, all of us benefits!

This kind of shit is pushing piracy into the realm of been a moral imperative.

obzourb

Neo Member
Fuuuuck I loved watching South Park whenever I wanted. Now I'll never be able to watch it without getting the dvds

Well, good thing I burned through the best of the series in a marathon a couple months back.

I don't even think I can use HULU since I live in Taiwan. :/

Instead of free and ad supported it will be paid for and ad supported.

I had Hulu+ for a month free and I canceled it before my month was over. I couldn't fucking stand all the commercials.

Fusebox

Banned
Whenever I've watched South Park on Hulu+ in the past it always went ad, intro, ad, show which was frustrating, I hope they've fixed that.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
well, i never watched it on SPS, but locking it behind a pay wall i have no interest in partaking in sucks.

BOOOO

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think many people turned to the internet for content specifically to avoid ads. You pay for cable and now a good deal of the show is taken up by advertisements. I'm not sure how bad the ads are on Hulu, but if it follows the 8-10 minutes of ads for every 20-22 minutes of TV show then I'd not be too happy with it. Especially if it does that thing where the ad pauses if I go to another tab while its playing.

Plus many compare Hulu to Netflix + Amazon Prime which have no ads.

Like I said, you still have to wait several months for shows to come up on Netflix and Prime. The ads on Hulu vary by show. Every segment is less than 30 seconds and there are usually around 3 of them. Minimal in comparison to cable.

Also you can open a new tab all you want. I've never come across a site that actually pauses ads on you if you go on another site.

I pay for HBO and it has no ads and an ad free streaming service.

Isn't that usually around twice to three times the amount of Hulu/Netflix?

I'd rather keep it cheap and affordable and look away from the tv for a short 20 second break.

Hulu Plus is complete garbage. Pay $8 a month to watch shows that still have ads, with over half the content not even available on non-computer devices.

Once again, you have to wait several months for that content to come up on Netflix. I've personally only come across 2 shows tops that don't work via tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom