• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News reporter martyrs himself to courageously spit racial truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the video and was like "okay this isn't that bad"

"The reason…young black men growing up without fathers."

Well shit that escalated quickly!

LQX

Just few weeks ago a white couple killed two police officers in Las Vegas. Weeks later a man killed a family of 5 and had a stand off with officers.

Chibrou

"The underlying cause of all of this, of course, young black men growing up without fathers."

yeah "of course".
That must be the only reason.
I can't even think of another one.

Can't watch the video right now. Can I get a synopsis?

Anchor suddenly has a degree in sociology and deems that the reason young black men are afraid of cops is because they grow up without fathers.

Edit: I mean why would black youth be afraid of cops? They're a loveable bunch.

rtcn63

What I learned today

- Can't help others while being black
- Can't be from a single-parent home while being black

It's like, you just can't be black in general nowadays. They have surgeries for this, you know.

btkadams

I really hope that there is outrage in the states over this. Unbelievable that someone could/would say such bullshit on TV. The guy needs to be fired.

JambiBum

Best part is how after he says it he also says that no one in the media has the courage to cover the issue with black males not having fathers.

Orayn

It's amazing how much support this kind of thinking has in the political right. I recently tuned into some AM talk radio out of bile fascination, and the first thing I heard was a white guy talking about how Martin Luther King Jr. would be ashamed of today's black youth and my jaw dropped.

There's just this incredibly racist undercurrent that so many conservatives seem to have blinded themselves to.

Aha! So that's why rap cars drivers call themselves "brothers"; not from different fathers, but from absent ones.

Rest of the media, are you even trying?

This guy may of went off with it the wrong way... but what he's saying is true.

Single parents in the black community is huge problem right now, and it is a problem. It's very difficult to raise a child while being a single mother or father.

59_fig2.jpg

AGITΩ

Its a stereotype, but I can see where he's coming from. Having gone to school in the ghetto neighborhoods here in the south, I can say that there's either a lack of or a bad example of a father figure in the average households. I come from a single parent household, though I'm hispanic. But most of the guys I went to school with were either raised by their mother or grandmother. Their fathers were either in jail, gone, fathered many other children with different females or any combination of the 3. Situation could go one of 2 ways for the most part, they either wise up and try to do better for themselves, or fall into the wrong crowd of others like themselves and unknowingly becoming just like the men that didnt raise them thinking thats how they are supposed to be.

Nairume

Banned
Hilarious though how he goes on a tirade about the dude's wife showing no concern for the cop's family

....and then the very next clip he shows has her explicitly addressing that she does have sympathy for them.

Single parents in the black community is huge problem right now, and it is a problem. It's very difficult to raise a child while being a single mother or father.

59_fig2.jpg

The underlying cause of an anti-cop mentality in American inner cities is police harassment and brutality, not "black males being raised in single parent homes"
why the hell would the inner city community like or respect the institution that kicks their ass up and down the street on a daily basis.

Slayven

The underlying cause of an anti-cop mentality in American inner cities is police harassment and brutality, not "black males being raised in single parent homes"

People don't want to hear that, the narrative is blacks are the source of all their problems and are not effected by anything outside of their community.

tokkun

Bill Cosby has been saying similar things for years. I would that some people see that and think it legitimizes the view.

why the hell would the inner city community like or respect the institution that kicks their ass up and down the street on a daily basis.

Why not both? There is no one underlying cause, it's a factor of many causes. Having one parent is a disadvantage.

59_fig2.jpg

How much does poverty factor into this issue? I'm not sure if it's still true but there was a time that married households could not qualify for certain types of public assistance, only single parent households could. What effect would those policies have making it less likely to have two parent households?

Correlation and causation are so hard to separate for these morons, aren't they? Perhaps the cops are disproportionately targeting black men, leading to the considerably higher rates of incarceration within the community when compared with other ethnicities. That in turn leads to fewer fathers being around, as well as distrust towards police.

Slayven

Why not both? There is no one underlying cause, it's a factor of many causes. Having one parent is a disadvantage.

Getting seen as a thug when you are 5 years old is a disadvantage, getting stopped and frisked is a disadvantage, getting beaten is a disadvantage. These people are afraid of the police because the police treats them like shit, not because they didn't have a father to teach them the police are your friend.

Van Owen

Banned

Is there any evidence of widespread police brutality?

Are you really trying assert that growing up in a second parent household produces an anti-cop sentiment?

Well, I'm associating it with higher crime rates. I'm asserting that it's hard for single parents to raise a kid, especially when they grow in poor socioeconomic areas like Jersey City.

It's though. If you come home, and your mom is still working. Where are you likely to turn? Not to sound lame but a lot of these kids are hanging out in "the streets" of cities like this and being influenced by older criminals.

How much does poverty factor into this issue? I'm not sure if it's still true but there was a time that married households could not qualify for certain types of public assistance, only single parent households could. What effect would those policies have making it less likely to have two parent households?

Poverty is likely a huge indication of being raised in a single parent home. You're more likely to get divorced if you're fighting over finances, and if you suddenly lose half your income from a dad or mom leaving... it's tough.

Currently, poverty would go hand in hand with this statistic, I believe. So you're right in saying that poverty is probably the main cause.

royalan

59_fig2.jpg

AGITΩ;121590016 said:
Its a stereotype, but I can see where he's coming from. Having gone to school in the ghetto neighborhoods here in the south, I can say that there's either a lack of or a bad example of a father figure in the average households. I come from a single parent household, though I'm hispanic. But most of the guys I went to school with were either raised by their mother or grandmother. Their fathers were either in jail, gone, fathered many other children with different females or any combination of the 3. Situation could go one of 2 ways for the most part, they either wise up and try to do better for themselves, or fall into the wrong crowd of others like themselves and unknowingly becoming just like the men that didnt raise them thinking thats how they are supposed to be.

I don't think anybody's disputing that. The obvious problem here is the news anchor trying to establish that as the reason for anti-cop sentiment in inner-city neighborhoods.

I also especially loathe it when white people like to bring up their theories for why things are the way they in the black community. But try to talk about systematic underpinnings that contribute to these realities? Nope. It's like they just want to list a problem and then stop there, because they want to believe that all these problems in the black community are somehow inherent to black people.

Is there any evidence of widespread police brutality?

Check the higher incarceration rates for black people committing crimes compared to white people committing those same crimes.

FZW

That video is like a Family Guy joke...one minute its making sense then out of nowhere you're like WTF?

Infinite

Well, I'm associating it with higher crime rates. I'm asserting that it's hard for single parents to raise a kid, especially when they grow in poor socioeconomic areas like Jersey City.

It's though. If you come home, and your mom is still working. Where are you likely to turn? Not to sound lame but a lot of these kids are hanging out in "the streets" of cities like this and being influenced by older criminals.
So what you're doing here is blaming single parent households for poverty instead of seeing poor single parent households as a consequence of poverty

I don't think anybody's disputing that. The obvious problem here is the news anchor trying to establish that as the reason for anti-cop sentiment in inner-city neighborhoods.

I also especially loathe it when white people like to bring up their theories for why things are the way they in the black community. But try to talk about systematic underpinnings that contribute to these realities? Nope. It's like they just want to list a problem and then stop there, because they want to believe that all these problems in the black community are somehow inherent to black people.

Sorry, I lived in Jersey City for a number of years. Yes, I'm white. But, I don't think because I'm a certain race I should be barred from having a conversation.

SmokeMaxX

Just few weeks ago a white couple killed two police officers in Las Vegas. Weeks later a man killed a family of 5 and had a stand off with officers.

To be fair, these only happened because young black men grew up without fathers.

No, but seriously wtf?

royalan

Sorry, I lived in Jersey City for a number of years. Yes, I'm white. But, I don't think because I'm a certain race I should be barred from having a conversation.

Because if all you're saying is "the problem is young black men growing up without fathers" then you're not really trying to have a conversation.

Infinite

He's not saying you can't have this conversation because you are white. He's saying you theory is wrong because it ignores systematic underpinnings that actually contribute to poverty.

So what you're doing here is blaming single parent households for poverty instead of seeing poor single parent households as a consequence of poverty

I'm saying the issue is complex. Economic standing is the highest correlation factor when you consider crime.

I'm not blaming single parent households, but having a kid is expensive. It usually requires two working incomes to pay and take care of a child.

Also, kids are highly influenced by their surroundings. If they return home to an empty household after school, if there mom is working late trying to take care of them, they're going to likely be hanging out on the streets with the wrong crowd.

Because if all you're saying is "the problem is young black men growing up without fathers" then you're not really trying to have a conversation.

I said before there's many factors, but I do believe that this is one of them. It's hard to raise a kid as a single parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom