• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News reporter martyrs himself to courageously spit racial truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, it's hard for black fathers to raise their kids when they're being arrested and killed left and right.

The War on Drugs did more to destroy the Black family unit than just about anything else I can think of.

Arrest a guy slinging a little stuff on the side as a hussle. He has a kid at home and lock him up half a decade. Now he gets out and even if he WANTS to change he can't get a decent job. Can't pass a background check. Can't provide for his family. Lack of money leads to breakup with his girl and now he's out the picture or kept at arms length.

wildfire

Banned
Bergin said in his report that the underlying cause of an anti-police mentality is young black men growing up without fathers.

This nonsense is in the same vein of some of the rape comments made by conservatives. They refuse to acknowledge reality and so have to make up shit that has no bearing on what they are talking about.

As if a black father would even tell his kids that cops are cool or some shit. Almost every black father would tell their kids...to put their hands on the wheels and only respond with "yes sir, no sir". Always ask can you do something before you do it; and when you do it, reiterate out loud what you are doing. Or better yet, place your hands face down outside the window against the door panel.

Piecake

The cause isnt young black men growing up without fathers, the cause is the drug war, mass incarceration of black males, and the specific targeting of poor, black urban neighborhoods when drug use and drug dealing are the same across racial demographics.

Guess what happens when you jail young black men for drug crimes? social society breaks down, families become poorer, and fathers are away from their kids.

besada

Banned
Why not both? There is no one underlying cause, it's a factor of many causes. Having one parent is a disadvantage.

Unless you can present some evidence that having a single parent increases your likelihood of hating cops, you should probably leave it alone, because it's off-topic.

ICKE

Banned
Guess what happens when you jail young black men for drug crimes? social society breaks down, families become poorer, and fathers are away from their kids.

There was already something wrong with the family unit to begin with if the father was using drugs.

Not trying to sweep racial profiling in America under the rug but an unbalanced justice system is not an excuse to betray your children by resorting to substance abuse and illegal activities. Of course society should strive to be better and not punish people too harshly but men tend to feel like martyrs too often.

ZoddGutts

This guy may of went off with it the wrong way... but what he's saying is true.

Single parents in the black community is huge problem right now, and it is a problem. It's very difficult to raise a child while being a single mother or father.

59_fig2.jpg

In High School I was surprise to know a large number of black students/black friends didn't have fathers in their lives. Can't say I'm surprise by the statistics percentage you posted.

There was already something wrong with the family unit to begin with if the father was using drugs.

Not trying to sweep racial profiling in America under the rug but an unbalanced justice system is not an excuse to betray your children by resorting to substance abuse and illegal activities.

Coming in and saying drugs are bad in the first place isn't addressing the problem as to why blacks are targeted and sentenced more harshly. Interesting how you feel using drugs is a far more awful thing than a clearly unfair justice system.

Nope. Couldn't possibly have to do with growing up poor in an unsafe environment that causes mental, emotional, and many times physical trauma and not being presented with the same resources and opportunities that others have. Couldn't possibly have to do with that. That's not reductionist enough.

ICKE

Banned
Coming in and saying drugs are bad in the first place isn't addressing the problem as to why blacks are targeted and sentenced more harshly. Interesting how you feel using drugs is a far more awful thing than a clearly unfair justice system.

I'm not saying it is more or less awful, I'm saying that too often people try to find excuses from society as a whole instead of picking up the mirror and realizing the truth. It is true that there are serious issues with the judicial system but that is not the reason why you personally decided to start fucking around instead of being a responsible father/mother.

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for substance abusers.

Not trying to sweep racial profiling in America under the rug but an unbalanced justice system is not an excuse to betray your children by resorting to substance abuse and illegal activities. Of course society should strive to be better and not punish people too harshly but men tend to feel like martyrs too often.
Strange. I know a dude making half a mil and his parents (raised by his mother) are two of the biggest potheads I've ever seen. That betrayal went quite well, it seems. Must be different when you're white, or something..

This guy may of went off with it the wrong way... but what he's saying is true.

Single parents in the black community is huge problem right now, and it is a problem. It's very difficult to raise a child while being a single mother or father.

59_fig2.jpg

Because of this graph, it would statistically make sense that there would be more black youth committing crimes that live with one parent, because there's statistically more kids living with one parent than either both or neither. I still think it's a very bold and very ignorant statement to just outright blame it on being from a broken family though.

royalan

I'm not saying it is more or less awful, I'm saying that too often people try to find excuses from society as a whole instead of picking up the mirror and realizing the truth. It is true that there are serious issues with the judicial system but that is not the reason why you personally decided to start fucking around instead of being a responsible father/mother.

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for substance abusers.

But the problem with this thinking is you're not actually addressing the problem. Saying, "oh but there's a problem if black fathers are using drugs in the first place" completely ignores the fact that black men don't make up the majority of drug users in this country.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with the demonstrable, quantitative racism at each and every level of the criminal justice system that causes blacks to grow up without fathers and also hate police.

Surely the answer is to complain more about black people, and get tougher on black crime. Take out the trash and the problem is fixed.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Are blacks using way more drugs than whites or something? If not than what are you talking about? It seems as if you may be making a weird and very, very racist assumption.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
A first I was like "Ehhh.. this isn't so bad so far." then he started that anti-cop rant.... then blamed everything on absent fathers.

That Ron Burgundy gif is ridiculously appropriate here. Shit really did escalate quickly.

Siegcram

It almost felt like his medication wore off. He held it together for almost the whole video and then the bullshit just spewed out of him at the last second.

Pretty incredible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
??? -> Proposed kids growing up with a single parent -> Hating cops and the system

I wonder if "???" could be "unjust and highly racialized justice system leads to mass incarceration of individuals often for minor crimes resulting in kids growing up with a single parent"

And I wonder if the ??? that leads to that ??? could be "decades and centuries of legally enshrined inequality resulting in wide socioeconomic stratification that also has a racialized character"

I have no problem with people pointing out that broken homes contribute to worse life indicators in many respects, but broken homes aren't a prime mover caused by "shit parents" or "lazy people", they're a symptom of structural issues that go unquestioned.

BPoole

If he had just left it at "young men growing up without fathers" I don't feel like he would be getting as much flak. But since he singled out the black community, that escalated the situation.

DC R1D3R

Banned
As if a black father would even tell his kids that cops are cool or some shit. Almost every black father would tell their kids...to put their hands on the wheels and only respond with "yes sir, no sir". Always ask can you do something before you do it; and when you do it, reiterate out loud what you are doing. Or better yet, place your hands face down outside the window against the door panel.

like the good little animal you are son….yeahhhhh

SMDH

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love how they spin it as "throwing away his job to say his true feelings" when its just a calculated gamble to get hired at Fox News.

Siegcram

If he had just left it at "young men growing up without fathers" I don't feel like he would be getting as much flak. But since he singled out the black community, that escalated the situation.
You mean if he left out ignorant racism, people wouldn't be upset? That's genius!

Anti-police sentiment is driven largely by black men being harassed and even killed by police with no consequences. I'm not going to pretend like people who commit crimes don't deserve to be arrested but the problem is that the consequences of crimes are not equal with respect to the biggest recruitment tool of the prison industrial complex: drug laws. White people use drugs more than blacks by a considerable amount, yet blacks make up the vast majority of all drug offense arrests. Drugs like meth are as dangerous if not moreso than crack, and more prevalent, yet rural communities aren't locking up white offenders like inner citty communities lock up black offenders caught with crack or even weed.

Because of this, many black people have no reason to trust or respect police.

noquarter

Does he not realize that disproportionate incarceration of Black men could be a major cause for single parenthood?

Also, white people use way more drugs than Black people. Black people are way more likely to take the hit.
Your link doesn't show that habitual use or selling is higher in white populations, just that white people have tried drugs more.

I'm not trying to say the incarceration rate isn't skewed, just that the report you linked just says have used drugs at a higher percentage, not continue to use. If you used drugs at any time, you were counted in that statistic, but that doesn't mean that drug users are higher in any race.

jerry1594

It's amazing how much support this kind of thinking has in the political right. I recently tuned into some AM talk radio out of bile fascination, and the first thing I heard was a white guy talking about how Martin Luther King Jr. would be ashamed of today's black youth and my jaw dropped.

There's just this incredibly racist undercurrent that so many conservatives seem to have blinded themselves to.
Eh, Aaron McGruder made a Boondocks episode of it.
But then again the right also says King was a philandering (true), white prostitute beating communist.

When your group is unfairly targeted/arrested and sometimes gets their heads blown off by cops just for existing, you won't exactly have love for them either.

Zaphod

Your link doesn't show that habitual use or selling is higher in white populations, just that white people have tried drugs more.

I'm not trying to say the incarceration rate isn't skewed, just that the report you linked just says have used drugs at a higher percentage, not continue to use. If you used drugs at any time, you were counted in that statistic, but that doesn't mean that drug users are higher in any race.

Here is an article that I found through a few seconds of googling.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/study-whites-more-likely-to-abuse-drugs-than-blacks/

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You mean if he left out ignorant racism, people wouldn't be upset? That's genius!

If an outlandish black person said the same thing, would it still be racist? It's not appropriate or concise in identifying the problem, but it's actually a popular discussion amongst black american studies "Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe" for example. We live in an age where no one can say anything anyway, so it doesn't matter. Just keep your mouth shut and rage on the internet where anonymity can protect you.

Siegcram

If an outlandish black person said the same thing, would it still be racist? It's not appropriate or concise in identifying the problem, but it's actually a popular discussion amongst black american studies "Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe" for example. We live in an age where no one can say anything anyway, so it doesn't matter. Just keep your mouth shut and rage on the internet where anonymity can protect you.
Yes, if a black person says something racist it's still racist. And if it's not "appropriate or concise" or, I don't know, true, you probably shouldn't say it on television.

royalan

I'm also surprised that anti-cop sentiment is being framed as an exclusively black thing.

Of course, black people get the worst of the systematic discrimination/oppression on the part of law enforcement, but in LA (where I'm from) the thing that brings all of the races together in solidarity is our mutual hatred of the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom