• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Welcome to the August edition of this thread, minor thread rule of posting behaviour have been added to the OP:
Examples of good posting behaviour and poor posting behaviour.Also would like to say thanks for these people for helping with this thread:
BinaryPork2737, Hugstable, Demon Lizardman, Yrael, Trejik and More_Badass

iuLqyZjMHwv5A.png

Road Not Taken
- Dr Dogg
Road Not Taken is a roguelike puzzle game about surviving life’s surprises. You play as a ranger adventuring through a vast,
unforgiving forest in the aftermath of a brutal winter storm, rescuing children who have lost their way. Procedurally-generated levels
deliver a limitless supply of possibilities to explore and challenges to overcome. Your actions will influence not only your own story,
but that of the villagers you hope to befriend and the town you call home.

I've only managed to play a tiny bit of this so far, like 30 minutes but I'm already liking the charming artstyle and soundtrack which
is a perfect match to the game. Gampeplay plays out like a weird combination of Spry Fox's previous game, Tripple Town, pick up
and combine objects to solve puzzles, rescue the kids and proceed to the next area as well as their humorous in game descriptions
of items and objects with Don’t Starve’s survival mechanics of having to use a combination of items to gain others. You do this by
grabbing and moving obstacles and throwing them together to combine them and children thrown to their mothers but moving whilst
grabbing something and blizzards depletes your energy until you throw the object or get to a safe screen. This is also mixed in with
procedurally generated areas and bespoke puzzle sections. Levels and progress are based on Years and you have to save a set
number of kids to rescue each year as well as a hub village to explore before venturing out to the forest.

Shadowgate
- Hugstable
"We are finally get a new Shadowgate complete with animations and all! Being a fan of the old Macintosh and NES versions of
Shadowgate, the news that a brand new version is coming out to steam with such great looking art really surprised me today. A
classic first person Point and Click adventure, Shadowgate has many puzzles for you to solve as you search Tyragon looking for the
evil Warlock. Shadowgate also has many dangerous paths that could all wind up in death. The original was a very difficult game and
I hope everything comes through here seeing that it's being made by the original creators and all. It's going to be interesting for
Shadowgate Vets to see just how much was added to the game, or if they kept it exactly like the original. Either way, Death
could be awaiting you at every turn! If you are and point and click adventure fan, definitely keep your eyes on this game!"

Shelter 2
- Yrael
"I'd recommend looking out for the game Shelter 2. I played the first game during the last Steam Christmas sale. It was short and the
mechanics are quite simple – you play as a mother badger protecting her five cubs. Over the course of the game's journey you must fend
off predators, fire, flood and the looming threat of starvation. I was surprised how attached I actually became to those cubs; it felt
like a personal failure of responsibility whenever one perished! Shelter 2 extends this concept and establishes the player as a mother
lynx with kittens in a much bigger, open world than that of the first game. The game's aesthetic as seen in the example screens and
trailer is stunning - truly an example of video gaming as art."

Crawl
- Trejik
"Crawl by Powerhoof Games jumps on a number of bandwagons that might raise red flags to many, including it's retro aesthetic and
emphasis on local multi-player, but you shouldn't let that shy you away from it. Combining RPG stats and loot with beat-em-up combat
mechanics, in Crawl, only one player is the hero, and the rest are the enemies. The player that kills the hero, gets a turn at beating
the dungeon, while the rest continue to try and thwart his attempts. With a constant push and pull fueled by a speedy level-up system
for both the adventurer and the monsters, Crawl promises to deliver a frantic multi-player dungeon crawling (get it?) experience that
feeds less off of nostalgia and more off of satisfying mechanics and beautiful artwork, even in it's Early Access release state."

Residue
- BinaryPork2737
"Residue is an adventure platformer set in the Aral Sea of modern Uzbekistan, a place that is now a wasteland of desiccation due to
years of diverging water to the desert region surrounding it. Filled with relics from the past, the exploration based story driven
game follows the story of three player characters with converging paths, each driven to the Aral Sea for their own reasons. It's a
game for the patient though, but if you can get past its flaws, you'll still find a game with interesting concepts."

Metro Last Light Redux
- Demon Lizardman
"I have just started playing 2033 and have to say it is an impressive game. However, I do feel like there are issues about it that are
fixed in its sequel like the stealth mechanic and gunplay. So I am looking forward to what last light redux has to offer when I play
it because goddamn, do I love the atmosphere in these games and the amount of detail is astounding."

Hatoful Boyfriend
- BinaryPork2737
"Hatoful Boyfriend is a visual novel that revolves around a girl going to a school for pigeons and dating them. There's some stat
management but most of the VN is exactly as it sounds: a pigeon dating sim. There are a lot of different choices and paths to add to
replayability, some of which are darker and creepier than others, interesting characters, and a narrative that offers more than you
might think at first glance. Worth a mention is the sensual birdfeeding the game has to offer. Keep in mind that it's a parody of
its own genre though."

Eidolon
- More_Badass
"Set in a far-future Washington state, Eidolon lets you survive and explore this vast landscape from the white mountain tops to the
dense forests , from the marshes and fields to the half-submerged highways and skeletal remnants of cities. Piece together stories
of the past through newspaper clippings, journal entries, and other records from a time long gone."

Rex Rocket
- More_Badass
"Rex Rocket's charming retro aesthetic brings its colorful sci-fi world to life, but don't be fooled by the charming visuals. From
wall-jumping between spikes and lasers to defeating enemies and bosses with a diverse arsenal of weapons and gadgets while evading
bullets, Rex Rocket blends precision platforming, old school shooter action, and fast paced puzzles to deliver a varied and
challenging experience"

Another Perspective
- More_Badass
"Another Perspective is a puzzle platformer that uses its unique mechanic to great effect. You learn that you can swap places with
a shadowy clone of yourself, using your clone as a platform. Soon you're dealing with two, three, four versions of yourself, and
different room layouts with each swap. Another Perspective blends challenging puzzles with an interesting story and art style."

NeonXSZ
- More_Badass
"NeonXSZ is Descent meets Diablo, first person space combat with tons of loot to collect and equip. Explore a procedurally generated
open world. Target ships, change weapons, and check your in-game map with the fully interactive cockpit. Customize your loadout and
decimate enemies with missiles, lasers, lightning turrets or use powerful skills like teleporting, shields, and drones."

Ultra Street Fighter IV
- MRORANGE
"It's almost funny that this is the 4th entry of this game series, while it is getting long in the tooth it is still a captivating 2D fighting
game which improves with 5 "new" characters and 6 new stages. Other than that there are minor tweaks and nerfs for characters.
It's never been a greater time to pick up this classic - just hope that Capcom fixed the netcode this time."

Game Beasts
- More_Badass
"Rock Paper Shotgun described multiplayer brawler Gang Beasts perfectly when they said "every fight turns into a desperate action
sequence." Gang Beasts is pushing and prodding your opponent into an industrial grinder. It's having a four-way brawl atop speeding
trucks. It's punching your opponent in the face while both of you dangle from a Ferris Wheel. Physics-based animations add satisfyingly
hilarious brutality to every fight."

i3e1K7Zg1FFgT.png

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and poor posting behaviour.
FAQ:
  • Sites that list Steam profile Stats? - Check list, remember not to spam this thread with your profile stats:
ibqIESyjpcC7Z0.png

iBsHuI4DuuPPH.png

i648IzOHobaaM.jpg

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for September (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in September that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th August

Games / Gaffers:
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Uzzy
Dead Rising 3 - MMBosstones86
Gauntlet - Hugstable
Wasteland 2 - Saunderez
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution - Rayge
Defense Grid 2 - jshackles

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

Ibuki

Banned
I guess I missed idlemaster. I will have to download it in a bit when I'm done with this conference call.

I'm very pleased with the title. Lots of good stuff showcased for August. People say summer is a big drought for gaming, i say they just don't know where to look.

This is like the best title I've seen so far.

Is anyone interested in a PC Ultra Street Fighter launch game night event? I was thinking about doing one if there are enough people for it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I found out a short while ago that Blackbay Asylum is finally releasing on Steam tomorrow, having been approved by Greenlight a few months ago. It's this bizarre looking adventure horror game with a comedic styling to it.

It looks so bad yet so good at the same time. No really, it has this strange charm to it that I can't really explain.

Well the thread did kind of slow down the past few days I guess. August may very well just need one thread the whole month.

Late August/September is when most school semesters start, so I'm going to go with September potentially being a one thread month. That's way too optimistic though, it'll be a two thread month at most.

Totally, should be in the OP.

That's not a large mutliquote post :/

Not a lot of important posts to quote today though, so it's understandable.

LOL, it wouldn't because posts have a hard character limit :p

You could always make multiple posts with multiple quotes :p

Let be honest that GOTG thread in OT that is still running wild broke GAF today/night. I mean look at the Commando themed title here now. I'm going go count my card monies and hopefully wake up to a nice shiny anime free Stream tomorrow.

The anti-anime agenda is real.

The august steam thread is just going to be 100 pages of people talking about bad posts rather than making quality posts. Good luck!

Hey at least the first few pages will be filled with quality posts about how it's a new thread. Those are good right?

I see nothing about a d-pad in that article or see one on the new design. I'm not really going to consider getting one till it has a proper one.

The lack of a dpad is really bothering me too. I just can't get behind the touchpads, it would feel like touchscreen control to me, and I'm not the biggest fan of that style of control. At least it has a thumbstick though.

Nzyme32

Great thread as per usual MrOrange, and thanks to the contributor to the OP too. Those are some excellent sounding games + completely forgot about shelter sequel. Lots to add to the wishlist.

Also I like the thread rules. I hope they really stick, otherwise I'll probably be less involved as the previous threads became hard to follow or decipher sometimes. EDIT: well I guess that didn't last long

Anyway, happy August all!

def sim

Thanks for the new thread. I thought that dancing (?) game was actually coming to steam for a second there.

Tizoc

I have just bought 15 TF2 Keys from our good friend Sub Zero for $30.
Deeper into the rabbit hole that is Key trading I go...

EDIT: Mordor is going for 12 TF2 Keys correct?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header_292x136.jpg

Also worth mentioning, Pineview Drive came out today. It's a horror game that monitors your reactions, played a demo and seems interesting, have it bought and will post full impressions when I play it through in the next few days.

zkylon

zkylewd
gorgeous banner

so fucking weird there's a shelter 2 already, i feel like i didn't get enough time to even try the first game and there's already another one

Teppic

IdleMaster pffft. I'm doing it the hardcore way. (I might try it later when most bugs has been ironed out)

zkylon

zkylewd
btw replying to other thread

The patches fixed everything from the look of thing. Start the launcher make sure the mouse buttons are good and set the game to auto run. As in your characters automatically run.
interesting, i didn't think it'd have mouse support

like i was sure this was a controller only game

derExperte

Even with buy/sell orders some people act super stupid. Just saw one fool selling a CS crate for 1,75 when there were buy orders for up to 2,11.

Regarding games: Isn't the plan to release Wasteland 2 in late August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom