• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 4-10 | IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY REASON

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of August 4th to the 10th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

There are currently no special events scheduled, check back later in the week to see if this changes!

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iZfH8Pcu0p98K.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our MtG correspondent, kirblar!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I currently am on hiatus from SF4 due to PSN being intolerable, but will be back for the PC release that's happening soon.

Favorite games - I loved Primal Rage for its awesome aesthetics back in the day, and MK3's chain combos (and SF2's unique inputs/characters) were also favorites of mine from that era. I played a ton of Tekken 3, Soul Edge/Calibur SFA3, and MvC2 over the years as well, all were awesome. Really like playing JoJo's (Iggy is super fun to play) and SF4/MvC3 are both great.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I really like chain combos that let you quickly pick up a character casually in a game that's got a lot of other moving parts, like MvC3. It lets you feel out a character without having to spend an inordinate amount of time in the training lab.

My least favorite? FADC. I don't have the reaction speeds/execution for it. Red Focus was a godsend.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
We were on vacation, and we had brought our Genesis along since we were staying at our grandparents' for the week. My dad picked up MK2 for me, my brother and him to play/try out, since we were 10-13ish at the time, and the level of violence was on the silly, rather than realistic side. Was a surprise to us, but was a lot of fun playing the characters and trying a game like that out for the first time. I think we might have played SF before that as well, but I'm not sure which came first.

I play MTG competitively. It's my main game, I've been to the Pro Tour (Amsterdam) and had one of the top 7 scores the last time they did a design test. (I, however, do not have a creative designer's personality. :p) I am a total dirty fighting game casual, but I want to start making it out to local FGC events here when I can in order to support them.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Iggy from JoJo's, El Fuerte from SF4 and Kuma from SFxT. Don't make me pick. I like animals, characters with short combo/mix-ups who can shift playstyles radically, and who work the game at a different angle than everyone else. Iggy shifts between Balrog and Honda modes, Kuma has a variety of unusual stances, grapples and anti-airs that make him fun to play with, and El Fuerte turns SF4 into a completely different game.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I like characters with short bursts of damage, easy combos, stuff that's easy to pick up and learn the basics of quickly. I tend to play online nowadays- growing up I played against my dad, sister, brother and local friends, and against the CPU.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Biggest strength - Able to admit when stuff was my fault, rather than trying to blame other people for it.

Biggest weakness - ADHD and terrible execution
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best was probably just the hours I spent playing MvC2 with my sister. She was able to pull off the team hypers and the game systems made beginner level play really fun and easy.

Worst - any of the time I spent playing the MK series at home vs the CPU post MK3/Trilogy :p Really should have had better taste.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Growth. Games that grow the scene, that appeal to more people, are viewed by more people, make more money for companies, make more jobs for people, in order to ensure that we're all still able to play them regularly 40 years from now.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
JDdelphin

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Dlent

SonicFox is already on the way to winning UNiEL as well next EVO; just went undefeated in TheBrett's UNiEL 3v3 tournament(over 100 entrants, not dead yet pls).

People are so good at UNIEL already lol. I'm still feeling really uncomfortable with the game. I guess deciding to only play this game offline wasn't the best idea.

One reason I really like UNIEL is because I think it's pretty easy to get to a level where you can start beasting people.

I think "anime" games have the reputation of being really hard to wrap your head around, but this game is probably the most accessible one of it's kind that I've played. I find that it's mechanics are easy to wrap your head around, and the combos are way easier to learn and memorize than in something like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear. That's just me, though.

When I was in Vegas I ran into a homie from here that I haven't seen in a while. He also plays Marvel. We literally had an hour long discussion on the biggest fraud. My pick was Flux, and his pick was Viscant.

I just would like to say thank you Flux. You never fail to live up to the standards that I have put upon you.

Rhapsody

Banned
One reason I really like UNIEL is because I think it's pretty easy to get to a level where you can start beasting people.

I think "anime" games have the reputation of being really hard to wrap your head around, but this game is probably the most accessible one of it's kind that I've played. I find that it's mechanics are easy to wrap your head around, and the combos are way easier to learn and memorize than in something like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear. That's just me, though.

The game does a good job letting people figure things out for themselves, imo.

They might still end up losing badly to players that have a good handle on the game, but I feel like people are able to enjoy the game in a pretty short amount of time instead of struggling trying to do things.

Jazz-ism

Banned
i think uniel is a great game. thats saying something because it wasnt always good. french bread knows what to do to change a game and make a game interesting. I think the "rip" jokes are stupid and people playing this follow the leader style mentality are whats wrong with the fighting game community at large.

that said, the top tiers in the game are dumb. gordeau merk and wald can all eat a bag of dicks seriously. i look forward to the next update/version eagerly tho

You know your game's dead when Honzo Gonzo's the best.

I don't know, that seems like a good reason to play; getting good enough to beast on him.

I played Honzo online in UNIEL, and managed to squeak out a win. He knows what he's doing, but he definitely abuses effective noob killing strategies with Gordeau. Gordeau ain't exactly Third Strike Chun-Li; he's good, but nowhere near good enough to cripple competitve play. Folks just need to get better.

Anne

Don't take stock in ANYTHING that happens in a week 1.5 netplay tournament when there haven't even been many offline events. It's barely worth taking stock in what happens in smaller offline events for a bit. Some things sure, but come on.

Besides, some anime players are having issues with that whole footsies thing lmao

joke disclaimer: Not all anime players are void of footsies, but it's clear UNiEL is of a much different pace and a lot of the community is having issues adjusting :v I witnessed people not knowing how to deal with fireball > AA today.

OceanBlue

Yeah combos in UNIEL are definitely a lot easier than in Arcsys games. I'm just having issues trying to pressure people without having it blow up in my face. I'm not used to how negative a lot of moves in this game are, and I also cancel every move into 5A because of Melty muscle memory even though a lot of 5As have long reach in this game lol. It's scary messing up your pressure in this game IMO. :<

Rhapsody

Banned
Besides, some anime players are having issues with that whole footsies thing lmao

Playing various people I know offline and online, I'm really surprised. I see people making really odd decisions with jumping, bad whiffs, bad assaults, etc. lol

Bad assaults especially.

Edit: A lot of people just don't know how to bulldog there way in on opponents in this game.

I wish I could get into UNiEL (dunno if I'm spelling it right). Too bad these summer months are so tough on the light bill and electric wiring.

I don't know, that seems like a good reason to play; getting good enough to beast on him.

I played Honzo online in UNIEL, and managed to squeak out a win. He knows what he's doing, but he definitely abuses effective noob killing strategies with Gordeau. Gordeau ain't exactly Third Strike Chun-Li; he's good, but nowhere near good enough to cripple competitve play. Folks just need to get better.

That's my main, yo. Seriously, dude hits so hard.

mbpm1

I picked up Ken lately. I never realized how good Tiger Knee was for Sagat. Still, not going back now.

RIP, old tiger.

Also, the Ken-Balrog matchup is horrible.

mbpm1

Say goodbye to free specials that you can just chuck out whenever if you're playing Ken then lol

Cr. mk into fireball not being a true blockstring pisses me off so much. That really does feel like something that doesn't follow reason.

Anne

What makes doing combos in this game easier than others?

The combos tend to be short and easy to piece together. You won't run into a lot of tight links or anything super obtuse for the most part, unless you pick like Yuzu or Vatista.

casperOne

enzo and him always picking the bad titles. :p

Everything is relative. Especially considering last week also had.. uhm.. that.. uh..

You were given this weekd thread title like Tuesday! Fresh X-Factor goodness?

Here's your thread title for next week:

"The hit box is the world" <3

---

I never realized how good Tiger Knee was for Sagat.

Tiger knee is one of those moves that a lot of people sleep on. Not sure why though, given it's utility.

Top Bottom