• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Everybody's going to the Rapture" similar to the Tomb Raider X1 deal? Uh no

With the news that Microsoft is going to spend money on developing and advertising Rise of the Tomb Raider in exchange for (some form of) exclusivity, I remembered the case of the formerly PC game, now PS4 exclusive "Everybody's going to the Rapture". Here's the thread from way back when it was revealed that the game wouldn't come to PC after all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658373

For those who don't want to read through all of it, here's the gist:

- The Chinese Room are the developers of Dear Esther.
- Everybody's Going To The Rapture was announced as a PC and possibly console game.
- About a year after the original announcement the game became a PS4 exclusive.
- Sony is helping with funding and Sony Santa Monica with the development.

So, are these cases similar at all?

All I know is that Tomb Raider is a sequel to a AAA multiplatform game that is now exclusive (timed or otherwise) to one console, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a new IP from an indie studio.

I would say there's a big difference.

I think the gist of this situation is more:

-Microsoft throws money around
-Square Enix sees an opportunity to make their once fans miserable and make some money in the process.
-Mircosoft throws money at Square and Crystal Dynamics.

DOWN

Banned
Not at all on the same level because one is a new Indie IP getting real development tech and development from Sony Santa Monica and the other is a sequel in a long running multiplat series that would have come to all systems had the deal not been made.

There's just too much history with Tomb Raider and Microsoft announced it in a bizarre way that made it hard for them to say exclusive and impossible to say it was timed until Spencer himself cleared it.

Grimløck;125642834 said:
it's more akin to the titanfall deal.

Titanfall was a new IP

My issue with Rapture was that they never actually tried to go to the avenue of securing funds from Kickstarter first before going to SSM for help. (Granted, we don't know what else they lacked aside from just money, maybe there's massive tech/production hurdles that can be solved with just money )

Aside from that, it's not similar.

If anything, it's closer to Titanfall deal, where the devs simply couldn't finish the game they wanted to make, and had to get funding from someone else, this case being Sony who locked it down to PS4, together with IP ownership.

Micerider

Yes, it's absolutely the same, it is also a multi-millions seller multiplatform serie that has been bought off by Sony.

I am happy to point it out, I know the confusion could be easily generated otherwise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't rapture getting support from Sony Santa Monica in the tech side? So definitely exclusive

Personally I doubt the 'development' from MS. All third party games would get an account manager from MS and access to tools and support to ensure things go smoothly. I would guess that the 'development' support is no more than Ms provided for the first tomb raider game. It is just another attempt to obfuscate matters.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The Sony Too™ arguments are starting to run into logical brick walls as of late. Sony hasn't done a Tomb Raider 2-dick move (yet).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
My issue with Rapture was that they never actually tried to go to the avenue of securing funds from Kickstarter first before going to SSM for help. (Granted, we don't know what else they lacked aside from just money, maybe there's massive tech/production hurdles that can be solved with just money )
Aside from that, it's not similar.
If anything, it's closer to Titanfall deal, where the devs simply couldn't finish the game they wanted to make, and had to get funding from someone else, this case being Sony who locked it down to PS4, together with IP ownership.
I don't think I would go to a publisher with a game idea that couldn't even pass it's Kickstarter. To a publisher it just shows and extreme lack of buyer interest. Also, these are the same people that for some reason thought Sony would just let them port the game to PC even though it's co-developed and funded by them. What an oversight...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Sony Too™ arguments are starting to run into logical brick walls as of late. Sony hasn't done a Tomb Raider 2-dick move (yet).

After all the MS missteps, they probably have two dick moves in the bank that they can use for free

Occam

Is the content of this thread similar to all the other threads in which the differences have been unsucessfully explained to you many times?

20140701164507Twilight_Zone.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
After all the MS missteps, they probably have two dick moves in the bank that they can use for free

A get out of dick move-free card, if I may.

The original EGTTR was great. I remember playing it in tandem with my flatmate, racking our brains over the puzzles, getting stuck for ages on the tricky parts. I feel it lost its appeal a bit with the sequels and the reboot, while a bold move, was not the EGTTR I fondly remember. I can see why the sudden move of this well loved series that many grew up with from multiplatform to exclusive would be upsetting.

Seriously. Someone equated MS money-hatting TR2 to the entirety of Sony's first party

I'm not even suprised. Some of the posts and meltdowns have been incredible though.

The original EGTTR was great. I remember playing it in tandem with my flatmate, racking our brains over the puzzles, getting stuck for ages on the tricky parts. I feel it lost its appeal a bit with the sequels and the reboot, while a bold move, was not the EGTTR I fondly remember. I can see why the sudden move of this well loved series that many grew up with from multiplatform to exclusive would be upsetting.

lmao

I don't think I would go to a publisher with a game idea that couldn't even pass it's Kickstarter. To a publisher it just shows and extreme lack of buyer interest. Also, these are the same people that for some reason thought Sony would just let them port the game to PC even though it's co-developed and funded by them. What an oversight...

I still think at some point Sony will let them self publish a PC version but not until at least a year later.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
EGTTR is worse. Unlike Tomb Raider, for the foreseeable future, it will not show up at all on it's originally announced platform. While PC players will play Rise, we will not have EGTTR.

I mean, I get it. They couldn't handle it and needed help, but still sucks.

madp0k

Isn't rapture getting support from Sony Santa Monica in the tech side? So definitely exclusive

Personally I doubt the 'development' from MS. All third party games would get an account manager from MS and access to tools and support to ensure things go smoothly. I would guess that the 'development' support is no more than Ms provided for the first tomb raider game. It is just another attempt to obfuscate matters.

This.

Its them trying to use a get out of jail free card, both Sony & MS send people to help and iron out kinks, apparently if you drop 50m on denying it to other platforms for a period of time it becomes helping development. It's an attempt to mitigate the backlash and it will probably work. Digital Foundry have helped D3 with development this week too !!! I think they have got the better press for it though :)

Santa Monica is co-developing Rapture.

Sony Japan Studio is co-developing BloodBorne.

Microsoft is not co-developing Tomb Raider.

That's easy ton understand, no ?

Top Bottom