• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Everybody's going to the Rapture" similar to the Tomb Raider X1 deal? Uh no

Copenap

No it's not. MS is giving SE money which they then obviously use to finance their operations, the plot twist is however, they had this funding secured already anyways. MS is doing jack shit.

The Chinese Room couldn't raise enough money to keep it independent.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is an upcoming first-person adventure video game being developed by The Chinese Room and SCE Santa Monica Studio and published by Sony Computer Entertainment.[3] A spiritual successor to Dear Esther,

Unlike Dear Esther before it, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture will not appear on PCs, instead being a PS4 exclusive. The team made the decision to partner with Sony as they felt they could not raise enough money for the project through crowd funding sources or through sales of alpha versions.

It's already been stated here a lot that the two instances are completely different.

That said, I love the name "Everybody's going to the Rapture" and I will eventually get a PS4 to play that, amongst other games. The only thing about it is that I always want to follow it with "
and Lamb is watching.
"

Can we use this thread to actually find a similar example?

Would Nintendo and RE4 be similar? I don't know the details but were they delaying the Playstation release?

darkwing

The original EGTTR was great. I remember playing it in tandem with my flatmate, racking our brains over the puzzles, getting stuck for ages on the tricky parts. I feel it lost its appeal a bit with the sequels and the reboot, while a bold move, was not the EGTTR I fondly remember. I can see why the sudden move of this well loved series that many grew up with from multiplatform to exclusive would be upsetting.

what

B_Signal

It's not the same but I was annoyed when it went from PC to ps4 exclusive. It's the same whenever something goes exclusive to your non-preferred platform

barit

The mental gymnastic that is going on to justified the dick move from MS is mind-boggling. No it is not the same nor is some deal 20 years ago for the PS1 a Sony Too argument.. MS only accomplishment was to prevent other versions of a AAA multiplatform game. Nothing more nothing less.

Enkidu

They are similar in that both games were announced for other platforms and then ended up being exclusive after money in some form changed hands, but there are also a heck more differences.

The Tomb Raider deal is probably objectively worse, as it's a pure moneyhat given to a large company that honestly has no need for the money other than to improve their profit margins. Personally though the EGTTR deal seems worse, because Tomb Raider is just a timed exclusive and as a PC gamer I've stopped caring long ago about whether games come out at the same time as long as they come out eventually, but all indications is that EGTTR truly became exclusive.

Is this a case of trying to invent a 'Sony Too!™' situation?

They're not remotely similar, mainly because The Chinese Room are a proper indie developer and didn't at the time have one of the biggest Japanese publishers funding them. They approached Sony and gave up the IP in exchange for funding and co-development with SSM.

Arklite

Can we use this thread to actually find a similar example?

Would Nintendo and RE4 be similar? I don't know the details but were they delaying the Playstation release?

No, Capcom and Nintendo had an agreement for several exclusive games beforehand. It seems it was Capcom that later pushed for a PS2 port which required extensive re-coding but was likely seen as a worthy investment due to the PS2's enormous install base. No delay on a PS2 version.

OT: no, they're not similar, CD didn't need development help, SE doesn't need publishing help.

EGTTR is a first-party title, clear cut. No ambiguity.

How can it be 1st party, if Chinese Room isn't owned by Sony though?

Doesn't the developer have to be one of Sony's own developer for that to be the case.

I thought titles published by one of the big hardware developers from an outside source were considered 2nd party.

Don't mean to get into a semantics argument, but that is how it works isn't it?

Have you seen a Microsoft Studios logo in the last teaser ?

I'm joking.

Because few days ago, MS was listed as the publisher on the website, but it was an error, MS was 'not the publisher', but SE was not listed as the publisher, first Phil Spencer said no comment on the statement, no comment on it coming to 360, and then in a different interview he said there was a duration and it's coming to 360 too, and now he's saying that there's a publishing deal with SE similar to DR3.

At how fast they're changing and adding new narratives to the TR situation, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Spencer named himself co-director of Tomb Raider next month.

The mental gymnastics that is going on to justified the dick move from MS is mind-boggling. No it is not the same nor is some deal 20 years ago for the PS1 a Sony Too argument.. MS only accomplishment was to prevent other versions of a AAA multiplatform game. Nothing more nothing less.

It's wholly entertaining though. I mean once the stench of desperation has been Febreezed away.

Doesn't the developer have to be one of Sony's own developer for that to be the case.

I thought titles published by one of the big hardware developers from an outside source were considered 2nd party.

the game is first party. period.

no such thing as 2nd party.with devs or with pubs in the real world. either a game is first party or.third party. rapture is a 1st party game because it will be published by sony.

I maintain that this game will eventually appear on PC. There have been games in the past where Sony stepped in to help (usually with financial backing) and they didn't prevent them from eventually going to other platforms. I'm speaking specifically of the Pub Fund games like Guacamelee which eventually went on to just about every platform, Dyad - which went to PC, and SportsFriends - again PC.

I realize rapture's a little different as Sony's also getting their hands into the development side of things, but hopefully they'll let thechioneseroom make as much money with this title as they can and let them come out on PC as well. Hopefully.

2nd-party is a defunct term that no one at Sony/MS uses anymore.

Their terminology nowadays : "We fund it, it's first-party, doesn't matter who the developer is."

So basically we've got:

1st-party games developed by internal team
1st-party games developed by external team

That's how things are defined these days.

MUnited83

For you.

Chinese Room + Sony Santa Monica

to be clear, games are either 1st party or 3rd party.

devs can be internal or external.

rapture is a 1st party game developed by an external studio. don't bundle games and studios as "one party".

same thing with ratchet and clank. first party game developed by a 3rd party studio.

With the news that Microsoft is going to spend money on developing and advertising Rise of the Tomb Raider in exchange for (some form of) exclusivity, I remembered the case of the formerly PC game, now PS4 exclusive "Everybody's going to the Rapture". Here's the thread from way back when it was revealed that the game wouldn't come to PC after all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658373

For those who don't want to read through all of it, here's the gist:

- The Chinese Room are the developers of Dear Esther.
- Everybody's Going To The Rapture was announced as a PC and possibly console game.
- About a year after the original announcement the game became a PS4 exclusive.
- Sony is helping with funding and Sony Santa Monica with the development.

So, are these cases similar at all?

lol OP you answered your own question in your own post. If it isn't clear by now the answer is no.

Desmond

The original EGTTR was great. I remember playing it in tandem with my flatmate, racking our brains over the puzzles, getting stuck for ages on the tricky parts. I feel it lost its appeal a bit with the sequels and the reboot, while a bold move, was not the EGTTR I fondly remember. I can see why the sudden move of this well loved series that many grew up with from multiplatform to exclusive would be upsetting.
This post needs more love.

With the news that Microsoft is going to spend money on developing and advertising Rise of the Tomb Raider in exchange for (some form of) exclusivity, I remembered the case of the formerly PC game, now PS4 exclusive "Everybody's going to the Rapture". Here's the thread from way back when it was revealed that the game wouldn't come to PC after all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658373

For those who don't want to read through all of it, here's the gist:

- The Chinese Room are the developers of Dear Esther.
- Everybody's Going To The Rapture was announced as a PC and possibly console game.
- About a year after the original announcement the game became a PS4 exclusive.
- Sony is helping with funding and Sony Santa Monica with the development.

So, are these cases similar at all?

You should make direct comparisons comparing both bullet points and you would immediately see where this equivalency is entirely false.

Try to imagine right now booting this game from a PC/X1 and observing the "Sony Santa Monica" logo.

You should make direct comparisons comparing both bullet points and you would immediately see where this equivalency is entirely false.

Try to imagine right now booting this game from a PC/X1 and observing the "Sony Santa Monica" logo.

So that is enough? Microsoft said that it's helping with the development of Tomb Raider.

Chinese Room was going to develop it independently and had a deal with Sony to be on PS4 and not Xbox One because (at the time) Microsoft still wouldn't let indies self publish, meaning Microsoft would take a big chunk of anything CR sold.

Chinese Room then realized they weren't going to be able to finish the game (though I don't know the details of their financing) and asked Sony to co-develop it.

Now Sony is co-developing the game and Sony Santa Monica is doing a bunch of the heavy lifting.

It essentially turned into something like what Microsoft did with Insomniac for Sunset Overdrive.

So that is enough? Microsoft said that it's helping with the development of Tomb Raider.

As has been mentioned the console makers always help "develop" every 3rd party game.

The difference is EGTTR would not exist without Sony, Rise of Tomb Raider would exist regardless of coming out on Xbox first.

As has been mentioned the console makers always help "develop" every 3rd party game.

The difference is EGTTR would not exist without Sony, Rise of Tomb Raider would exist regardless of coming out on Xbox first.

That isn't true, at least according to the developers. It did exist for at least a year as a PC game and they didn't try to secure funding through other ways before going exclusive.

David___

Banned
That isn't true, at least according to the developers. It did exist for at least a year as a PC game and they didn't try to secure funding through other ways before going exclusive.

Never knew EGTTR was released for a year prior to the exclusive announcement and what does the bolded have to do with anything?

Never knew EGTTR was released for a year prior to the exclusive announcement and what does the bolded have to do with anything?

Rise of the Tomb Raider has also not be released, let's not get silly here. And the second part questions the statement that the game wouldn't exist without Sony.

“So the thinking went like this,” he began. “We don’t have enough money or production expertise to make this game without help. We don’t think we can raise enough through Kickstarter or public alpha to make this happen. We could do with production support on a game this scale. We’ve always wanted to make a console game. Publishers have bad reputations all too often. Hey, Sony Santa Monica are great though. We’ve met them a few times and really like them and their attitude.”

“Also, PS4 is starting to look very cool as a platform. All eggs thrown into singular basket, Sony Santa Monica contacted, everybody likes each other, lots of love for the project. Long dark night of the soul mulling over implications of shifting across to console. Mix of pragmatism and excitement about the possibilities win out.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/22/dear-esther-devs-rapture-no-longer-coming-to-pc/

The Chinese Room is a tiny indie studio... not Square freaking Enix.

StuBurns

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider has also not be released, let's not get silly here. And the second part questions the statement that the game wouldn't exist without Sony.
You're being obtuse. Rapture, the game it will be, wouldn't exist without Sony. The game TR2 will be would exist without MS.

You're being obtuse. Rapture, the game it will be, wouldn't exist without Sony. The game TR2 will be would exist without MS.

How do you know that? Seriously, how? How do you know that Rise of The Tomb Raider would be the same game without Microsoft's money?

EGM1966

No. I'd say its more akin to Bloodbourne or Scalebound myself. I was a bit miffed from PC perspective but that's more down to the initial announcement. The developer wanted funds and a partner and chose Sony/PS4 so this is a fair play exclusive (or at least timed initially).

I maintain that this game will eventually appear on PC. There have been games in the past where Sony stepped in to help (usually with financial backing) and they didn't prevent them from eventually going to other platforms. I'm speaking specifically of the Pub Fund games like Guacamelee which eventually went on to just about every platform, Dyad - which went to PC, and SportsFriends - again PC.

I realize rapture's a little different as Sony's also getting their hands into the development side of things, but hopefully they'll let thechioneseroom make as much money with this title as they can and let them come out on PC as well. Hopefully.

While I agree that would be the sensible thing to do, Rapture is different to those Pub Fund games because Sony owns the trademark, and they don't have any presence on PC outside of SOE.

This isn't a Pub Fund game, though. Previous cases tell us that any game that had Sony Santa Monica's involvement never ended up on another platform. Examples: Journey, The Unfinished Swan. Based on that, the chances of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture going to PC are next to none.

Top Bottom