• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shulk Amiibo is a Gamestop Exclusive

bluexy

Didn't GameStop withhold their stock of Xenoblade Chronicles and then charge excessive prices for it months after it had all but disappeared off of store shelves?

Is this Nintendo's way of rewarding that?

Gartooth

One of the few Amiibos I want and I have to buy it from Gamestop, that sounds great. -_-

Coincidentally the last time I actually bought anything from Gamestop was for a copy of Xenoblade.

DaBoss

Probably due to the fact Shulk is one of the most niche characters in Smash and hasn't been in previous Smash games, so he would have to be known before hand for being a part of Xenoblade. I doubt other retailers would want many or any Shulk Amiibos.
The next wave was already hinted to have retailer exclusives so I expect more of this shit just like with Skylanders and Disney Infinity.
Oh, did they? Probably makes it easier to get new Amiibo on shelves by making different retailers sell different Amiibos.

LiK

The next wave was already hinted to have retailer exclusives so I expect more of this shit just like with Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Meh. They kind of deserve it for the Xenoblade deal.

Does this happen with the other kinds of Internet/game-enabled figures, like Skylanders and Disney Infinity?

Whatever they do/can do, Nintendo should be able to do as they established the precedent. If there are retailer/location/event-specific figures for those things (and corresponding special features), there's no reason Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same.

I honestly imagine this is more of an issue with retailers not wanting to grab figures of Shulk. Since Xenoblade was Gamestop exclusive it makes sense to offer them this deal, they will be much more willing to stock him compared to other retailers just by the relationship customers have with them in relation to Xenoblade. I don't think this is evil. And since Amiibos aren't region locked you can import if it bothers you that much.

Didn't GameStop withhold their stock of Xenoblade Chronicles and then charge excessive prices for it months after it had all but disappeared off of store shelves?
I thought it was they got reprints made as part of their Gamesotp Vintage range (along with Steel book-less copies of MPT) and charged more than $50 for these by making them "used".

I can't see Shulk being particularly popular and also who pays for a retailer exclusive? Like is it that the wholesale cost is more to the retailer make up for less sales?

Crayolan

That long-term exclusivity. Just watch Xenoblade 3DS be GS only too!

I guess I better preorder this one since exclusive is just another word for pathetically low stock.

kewlmyc

Might be because Xenoblade was originally an Gamestop exclusive as well. It's literally the only place you can get Xenoblade now, unless some random mom and pop store has a used version, along with eBay.

Kinda clever with this choice actually.

Top Bottom