• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn: First person Giger-esque horror (Part 1 coming 2017, PC)

Gruso

RAFDaqc.jpg

Scorn is funded and going ahead!

This project has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Following is a brief timeline, and the original OP continues below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scorn first surfaced in June 2014 through a mysterious leak thread here on GAF. The exposure put the developers, Ebb Software, in contact with some publishers including Sony. Apparently the game is "too weird" for your average publisher however, so Ebb have reluctantly turned to crowdfunding. They discuss the decision here.

Scorn was conceived as a VR title, however VR support has now been relegated to a stretch goal.

The campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571331118/scorn-episode-one

1080p60 trailer:

OhK4SE7.jpg

8eq03Bz.jpg

hXNC0zW.jpg

Scorn is an atmospheric first person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry. It is designed around an idea of "being thrown into the world". - world so unsettling and mysterious you won't be able to resist embarking on the journey that lies ahead. Main character is not already fleshed out hero with predetermined personality and history. You are the main character.

There is no conventional plot as we hope that every player would give their own interpretation of the events, themes and their role in this universe through exploration and interaction with the game world. The story and themes we are trying to convey get there desired effect through experience rather than exposition. Storytelling wise it is most similar to games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Journey, etc.

Different features and gameplay mechanics combined together create a unique experience.

- Cohesive "lived in" world - Scorn takes place in open-ended world with different interconnected regions you can explore in a non - linear fashion. Each region is a maze-like structure with various set of rooms and paths to discover. Environment is a character in itself. Every location contains its own theme, puzzles and characters that are integral part of the setting. Open ended and interconnected level design and the sense of isolation that it brings is influenced by games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Ico, etc.

- Full body awareness - Player will experience enhanced game world immersion, and will be familiar to character’s body and movement. Interaction with the world is realistic - objects are picked up with your hands (instead of just floating in mid-air), machines and instruments are operated by grabbing the controls etc.

- No HUD - There is no HUD to assist the player. Everything is implied and indicated through environmental design.

RDomvWL.jpg

5ZcM2Ua.jpg

New artwork & screenshots released January 2016:

Krejlooc

Banned
Really? No mention that this is a game designed explicitly for VR in the OP? It's not a normal game, it's meant to be played in VR with a positionally tracked system, either PrioVR or Sixense STEM.

Endesu

Heartbreaking that it's apparently too weird for the pubs out there. This seems like a breath of fresh air.

i understand wanting to craft an experience specifically for VR, but I feel like that's definitely going to be the reason this doesn't make the goal.

Kvik

Yet another shooter? Why can't it be a horror RPG :-\

Edit: welp, it's an adventure game apparently.

Gruso

Really? No mention that this is a game designed explicitly for VR in the OP? It's not a normal game, it's meant to be played in VR with a positionally tracked system, either PrioVR or Sixense STEM.

My understanding is that the game was originally conceived with Morpheus in mind, but is now targeting PC with possible support for VR. I should note this in the OP, yes. But I can’t see where it is made explicit that this is “not a normal game”. From the KS:

Scorn was originally designed with VR in mind. From the very beginning of the development we decided that we don’t want to just slap the VR headset support and be done with it. In order to have a proper VR experience, we need to properly implement some of the more advanced input devices like STEM System from Sixense. Unfortunately user base for these devices will probably be very limited so we can only consider implementing Oculus Rift with STEM as one of the stretch goals if there's enough interest.

Correct me if I’m misreading this.

What's with this monetized link?
Just GAF things, not my doing.

Lernaean

Banned
It's definitely interesting.
Among other things, it reminds me of old pre-Souls FROM ARPGs, which is a good thing ofc.

Kater

Banned
That's what I call a gorgeous yet horrifying design. It's definitely Giger-esque, yep.

And this is the cherry on top.
Storytelling wise it is most similar to games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Journey, etc.

Definitely got my attention now.

Krejlooc

Banned
My understanding is that the game was originally conceived with Morpheus in mind, but is now targeting PC with possible support for VR. I should note this in the OP, yes. But I can’t see where it is made explicit that this is “not a normal game”. From the KS:

Correct me if I’m misreading this.

You've misread it. It says right there that this isn't a game with slapped on VR support. It's a game built explicitly with VR in mind. It is a game designed for VR, not a normal game with VR support.

I will back this. Shame no publisher had the balls to fund this game. Stunning art direction.
I give 15 bucks as soon as I can.

You've misread it. It says right there that this isn't a game with slapped on VR support. It's a game built explicitly with VR in mind. It is a game designed for VR, not a normal game with VR support.

That's not at all what he says.

He says that they want to make it designed explicitly with VR in mind, and were going to originally, but because of market realities its going to be a standard PC game that maybe has advanced VR support if they meet a stretch goal.

Wow this wasn't picked up by any publisher... Saddening.. First game in a while that has caught my eye for its art style alone. I like me some Giger inspired games!

Krejlooc

Banned
That's not at all what he says.

He says that they want to make it designed explicitly with VR in mind, and were going to originally, but because of market realities its going to be a standard PC game that maybe has advanced VR support if they meet a stretch goal.

the game is already in development, they have a functional alpha. I don't think you understand the ways in which a game must be designed for VR from the start. The game already isn't a normal game. It's built for VR.

Kevin

Looks pretty creepy and great. Hope it actually gets finished. Would make for an awesome Oculus Rift game.

Mdk7

I am so backing this one, i was recently thinking about this, like last week.
It's cool to hear the project still lives, even if it will be kinda hard for Scorn to find a proper budget due to its unsetting and eery style.
But that is what makes it special to me, so i will surely be a backer.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wow, I've never seen it before. First time for everything, I guess.

All i take away from going back and reading those Evil quotes is "Gawt damn the man grows more handsome as time marches on ..."

Anyways... no hud, no story, no direction and full world immersion sounds... ambitious? .. to say the least.

NewGame

Banned
Looks kinda lame. Like a bunch of artists got excited and modeled a bunch of stuff. I know it's not representative of the final product but you're supposed to show something to whet the appetite.

Also the kickstarter seems pretty sparse regarding information.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The art looks absolutely incredible, and very fascinating too.

Can't really stomach these types of games though, so I'll appreciate from afar lol

CamHostage

Looks nice, though I'm not sure why they desired to make it a first-person adventure? Part of the trick of art of this quality and style is that the angles and lighting really make a difference, unless it's on a bit of rails like a Myst or something then I feel like maybe it'd do better with an in-game character and some locked-off camera angles? I do like how the first-person works for the puzzle interactions, how your weird limbs jam into these sopping sockets...

Best of luck to them on it, I hope it turns out well.

Mdk7

Backed, as promised.
Will really keep an eye on this one, i hope it sees the light eventually because i want to explore that disturbing and fascinating reality pretty bad.

Top Bottom