• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charli XCX - "Sucker" - Discussion & Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ib2ppyQ4mly777.png

ilSIUFd3KEUod.png
ibinuwZS8LdyDB.png
ibrH5RFBXDMKoA.png
ibaQ0gRVBJgQNF.png

irT9STDJuAjEC.png

ibylWsmVAfbpnL.png
iUHcNrJoHxlw5.png

izOPNkWIPvaFx.png

iEyNBq9qrHnuT.png
ibvJqMdtAVyi62.png
ibkxg8DvhYniCB.png

ibfibJVUZy63Mn.png

ib2fTlJyFrncgr.png
iAk9IPRFe3KRT.png
iHZwZoB9M5DKt.png
ibl5iUI6NFFSHT.png

iLtVXx8uAdqxh.png

ibEFMvcZNSuDa.png
irxdKUZbNZ6h7.png

iZLYgrN0snAyu.png

*Europe has an exclusive track called "So Over You".
*Date changed to December 15 on US.

Damn didn't know Lorde made another album.

Boom Clap is catchy and one of the few bearable songs they play on the radio nowadays.

Galang

Banned
Loved her debut. Not sure about the new album yet, but I'm here for it. What I like and So Far Away are underrated, both my fave by her.

overcast

She's completely my type. That dark hair and those eyebrows. Just the right amount of trashy/dirty look. WHEW.

Anyway, London Queen does indeed stink.

Vazra

Loved her debut. Not sure about the new album yet, but I'm here for it. What I like and So Far Away are underrated, both my fave by her.

What I have managed to listen its very 80s and 90s Pop Rock with some dance elements to it. She has some live performances of other tracks

Sucker
Breaking Up
Famous
Caught In The Middle
Need Your Love
Gold Coins

Obviously not the highest quality and will have to wait on the studio version but most sounds good.

:)

great OT pupi 💖

I've been sort of back and forth on the stuff from this era I enjoy, but I quite like her when she's on point so I'm perched for the album. Superlove continues to crush other girls' discographies.

Vazra

:)

great OT pupi 💖

I've been sort of back and forth on the stuff from this era I enjoy, but I quite like her when she's on point so I'm perched for the album. Superlove continues to crush other girls' discographies.

SuperLove was the song that made me check her discography tbh.

I didn't LOOOOOVE True Romance but after Boom Clap I gave it a second chance and it clicked. Break The Rules is also amazing.

I also saw Charli live back in September and recorded most of her concert but I kinda forgot to upload it to yt. I did upload Boom Clap tho. She was great live *.*

I didn't know there was a "Tokyo Version" of Boom Clap either, until 5 minutes ago lol

The audio quality of your recording is great! I like how she bounces all over the stage and gets interactive with the crowd.

If you upload more stuff make sure to post it ;)

She really should have included SuperLove in this album. It's a shame that it's not because it is her best song. Anyway, I'm glad we're getting a new album from her so soon and of the new songs I like Break the Rules.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's going to be the best pop album of 2015. Shame it doesn't have SuperLove on it though, it's easily one of the best pop songs of the last 5 years.

London Queen is a cute bop. The Ramones vibes.

I am so unbelievably hyped for this album, I adore Boom Clap and Break the Rules and I also quite like London Queen (I'm easily pleased). I love the pink-pop-punk-rebel aesthetic that Sucker has going on, it's really clicked with me.

Gold Coins and Breaking Up are likely to be released soon, their track times have been updated on iTunes (3:02 and 2:17 respectively). This album is going to flash by so quickly, but as long as the songs are catchy and repeatable it doesn't really matter.

She's done a great Pitchfork interview:
XCX: Some of the poppier songs on the punk record are now the most punk songs on the pop record. There were some full-on, two-minute-long, me-screaming songs. There was one called “Mow That Lawn”, which is so sick. It goes, “Oooh! Baby mow that lawn/ Oooh! Really turns me on/ Oooh! Got no mobile phone/ Oooh! ‘Cause the signal’s gone.” It’s about me moving to the countryside and being bored of taking too many drugs and drinking too much, and just wanting to have a cat and mow the lawn.

I hope she releases some of the punk songs as an EP some time, it sounds quite fun

she did a song for the Mockingjay soundtrack featuring Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran. It's lovely, very different to her other stuff, but really quite amazing

Vazra

I am so unbelievably hyped for this album, I adore Boom Clap and Break the Rules and I also quite like London Queen (I'm easily pleased). I love the pink-pop-punk-rebel aesthetic that Sucker has going on, it's really clicked with me.

Gold Coins and Breaking Up are likely to be released soon, their track times have been updated on iTunes (3:02 and 2:17 respectively). This album is going to flash by so quickly, but as long as the songs are catchy and repeatable it doesn't really matter.

What I notice is that I tend to enjoy these artists more than the big mainstream acts maybe for the fact they wont be overplayed to death. While Charli had a hit with Boom Clap I feel it wasn't overplayed as much as it could have been. Taking things in consideration a lot of the acts in the top 40 have uneven albums cause they are too focused on the hit singles instead of making a cohesive album (Themed or not)

As for Gold Coins and Breaking Up I like gold Gold Coins a lot and Breaking Up sounds kinda Joan Jett-ish so Im interested in listening the studio version. I really like the direction the album is going. I like True Romance style too but I think both styles can coexist switching it up or mixing them up between albums.

Partition

Banned
She hasn't released a good song since SuperLove so I don't really have high hopes for this record. Definitely simplifying her sound a bit excessively.

Koodo

Banned
Gold Coins is cute but not cute enough to save what is shaping up to be an underwhelming album.

charli pls

Vazra

Oh, idk. I don't want to listen to these before the album. What do you think?

I liked them all except Breaking Up but it's more because of the performance. Studio Version or a better performance might make a better impression.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
True Romance was pretty good, particularly Nuclear Seasons. Didn't realize Boom Clap was part of her new album, I thought it was made specifically for The Flop In our Stars, but it's nice too. Break the Rules is wretched though, really hated that one. So from what I've heard it's 50/50 so far from the new material.....

Damn didn't know Lorde made another album.

crying.gif

Not gonna lie, I used to confuse the two all the time.........

Grizzo

London Queen bores me to death. Break The Rules was okay. She's gonna have to do much better than both of these.

True Romance was a good and exciting debut, and Superlove remains her best single to this day.

Vazra

True Romance was pretty good, particularly Nuclear Seasons. Didn't realize Boom Clap was part of her new album, I thought it was made specifically for The Flop In our Stars, but it's nice too. Break the Rules is wretched though, really hated that one. So from what I've heard it's 50/50 so far from the new material.....

The album is more in the Punk Pop direction of Break The Rules (Check Gold Coins and maybe the live performances of other songs linked around here) Charli said the album was heavily influenced by Punk so not much Pop, Synth Pop there. It definitely shows some roots on a few tracks but overall you can tell this is going an completely different direction than True Romance.

she needs to release caught in the middle
right now

It seems she will be releasing Breaking Up and Gold Coins soon on iTunes as those 2 tracks have their length unlike the other tracks.

Also you can preview Gold Coins in iTunes now so I guess they will update that very soon.
e571549f6c.jpg

Vazra

omg

Famous and Need Your Love!

Famous could smash!!!!

!

Famous is such a feel good track and probably the best track I've heard so far. I can also see the Spice Girls influence there.
25793bfd.gif

EDIT: Mad she scrapped Pussy Power and some other tracks. (Maybe she'll release those tracks as EP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom