• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charli XCX - "Sucker" - Discussion & Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

On the 4th track right now. Each of these borders on unlistenable. What happened to Charli? Sigh.

Just finished it. Need Ur Luv is a jam. Boom Clap is of course quite good, but other than Doing It, none of the new songs stood out as anything other than average on the first listen. This is sadly as disappointing as I expected and a major step back for her.

Treefrog

The album is alright. Some songs are very catchy, especially Sucker. It does feel like a lyrical downgrade from what we had with True Romance. I do appreciate her wanting to jump into another type of sound.

Btw, pre-ordered the cd from Target. It turns out that is is the edited version, even though this isn't said anywhere on the description page. Didn't find out until I started listening and Sucker had sound effects over the chorus. They wouldn't even take it back as it had already been opened. :(

old

Saw her on SNL and was immediately hooked. I'll be checking out the album this week if it's on Spotify.

Meier

I do appreciate her wanting to jump into another type of sound.

Let's call a spade a spade. She sold out. It's not like she was trying another sound for artistic reasons.

That sucks about Target by the way. You should contact them online maybe? There's no way that isn't worthy of a refund.

Sohh, part of what I enjoyed from Charli initially was her music's synthed out, morose aesthetic; my favorite tracks being stay away, black roses and nuclear seasons. And leading up to sucker she was adamant about the change in sound to something more bubble gum poppy, which is fine, I think superlove is indicative of her ability to make more upbeat, saccharine music, but what we got in Sucker was too saccharine imo. It's so much more conservative than the stuff on her mixtapes, which I guess is part and parcel of her careers shifting commercial viability; it's derivative, which again, isn't bad, her music was always derivative, but her earlier material was also evocative, which I feel is missing from this release.

Stuff like Boom Clap and Break the Rules, while catchy, is mindnumbingly stale to me. I fuck with Hanging Around, and that's about it. Still wanna snuff her box though :yeshrug

Sohh, part of what I enjoyed from Charli initially was her music's synthed out, morose aesthetic; my favorite tracks being stay away, black roses and nuclear seasons. And leading up to sucker she was adamant about the change in sound to something more bubble gum poppy, which is fine, I think superlove is indicative of her ability to make more upbeat, saccharine music, but what we got in Sucker was too saccharine imo. It's so much more conservative than the stuff on her mixtapes, which I guess is part and parcel of her careers shifting commercial viability; it's derivative, which again, isn't bad, her music was always derivative, but her earlier material was also evocative, which I feel is missing from this release.

Stuff like Boom Clap and Break the Rules, while catchy, is mindnumbingly stale to me. I fuck with Hanging Around, and that's about it. Still wanna snuff her box though :yeshrug

This album definitely grew on me, but it's definitely missing the magic of her earlier stuff. I do appreciate her changing up her sound, even if it isn't as good.

Koodo

Banned
Let's call a spade a spade. She sold out. It's not like she was trying another sound for artistic reasons.
And the proof is where? Charli has always seemed like the type of impatient artist that likes to jump around genres - she's even at the age of never being satisfied with something for more than a week.

Some good songs but True Romance is head and shoulders above this album. This albums best songs would be considered fillers on True Romance.

Hopefully she returns to the dark synth sound of True Romance. Been a fan since she was featured on the Starkey song Lost in Space.

Grizzo

This album has finally grown on me. It's a solid sophomore one. My favorite tracks: Sucker, Breaking Up, Caught In The Middle.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Body of My Own is a masturbation anthem
sQ0ww_zps5a22d393.gif

Courage

Body Of My Own is stuck in my head; what a chorus and the guitars on it are crazy.

The breakdown at the end, whewwwww.

ibh7AhkYzZ54fQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom