• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Night Owls May Be More Intelligent

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/night-owls-creative-intelligent/686025/

According to “Psychology Today,” intelligent people are more likely to be nocturnal than people with lower IQ scores. In a study run on young Americans, results showed that intelligent individuals went to bed later on weeknights and weekends than their less intelligent counterparts.

In “Study Magazine,” Satoshi Kanazawa, a psychologist at the London School Of Economics And Political Science, reported that IQ average and sleeping patterns are most definitely related, proving that those who play under the moon are, indeed, more intelligent human beings.

His analysis goes back to ancient times, asserting the idea that even in primitive years, people have been known to rise and fall with the sun.

Average brains were conditioned to follow this sleep pattern, while the more inquisitive, intellectual ones want to defy that pattern and create their own.

Link to study:

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/paid2009.pdf

Drayco21

I would imagine that people who stay up later have a greater tendency to spend that time studying/learning than those who don't, especially anyone who's still a student.

injurai

Banned
Seems to me that the demands of higher education for a nocturnal bias, and low hours of sleep. Rather than "IQ" being the driving factor.

Noirulus

I've been sleeping late since I was 10.
I'm going to be the next Einstein guys. Just watch me unify quantum mechanics with gravity!

Honestly though, while there may be some degree of correlation I doubt this is true. Where's the study on all the intelligent, successful people who sleep on time?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I go to bed reel late, so I smart? haha suck my dick Instine!

Abounder

Banned
I just wanted to watch Conan

tumblr_lsar3lx1n41qdf6w8o1_500.gif

kirby_fox

Banned
When I was in high school I used to stay up until 2 and wake back up at 5:30.I'd just take a nap when I got home.

I always felt like my best "work" was done between 11 and 2 anyways...

This is a paper from 2009

And while I'm a night owl but this study doesn't say night owls are more intelligent.

From the abstract it says intelligent people are more likely to be night owls. Not that going to bed late means your smart. They looked at the data and found people with a higher iq went to bed later. In fact the study seems to go against this being genetic. Just that higher IQs lead to 'evolutionary novel behavior'. The two are tied together not because of genetics or an inherent desire to stay up late but because they tend to find it easier to go against the evolutionary norm when it comes to sleeping.

Aren't IQ tests complete bullshit?

No, but they're limited in what they measure what they're designed to measure and tend to do very well at predicting and describing "book intelligence". There are other kinds of intelligence though, emotional, creativity, social that IQ test don't measure.

The authors are using specifically verbal intellegence which is only one aspect of intellegence and they highlight in the conclusion this is an issue and cause for further study.

NJDEN

I love this thread... Especially since its almost 2 AM right now and both my roommates went to bed hours ago...

I've got a 9 AM class, but I always take a good long nap mid day... The sun is for feeling warm and sleeping under, not performing any work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom