• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Night Owls May Be More Intelligent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

Woke up at 5:30, went to bed at 00:30 and I'm tired as shit. Not believing this study for a second ;)

Tesseract

Banned
i knew it !

tumblr_mkneqiygxg1qasthro1_500.gif

benjipwns

Banned
guys, staying up doesn't make you more intelligent, it's just saying intelligent people tend to be night owls.
Yeah, and I thought this was a well known correlation in psychology for some time?

There's also one about intelligence and depression I think?

I don't know what the theories are on causation, I assume this paper and others cover that ground.

soco

Yeah, and I thought this was a well known correlation in psychology for some time?

There's also one about intelligence and depression I think?

I don't know what the theories are on causation, I assume this paper and others cover that ground.

I"ve heard that before, but have never seen the study. HOwever, I seem to remember a recent study posted on gaf about nightowls being more likely to be depressed.

JNA

Banned
That sounds like so much pressure. Being the smartest person on GAF, you'd have to get every joke, understand all the rhetoric people use, stuff like that.

Indeed. I completely agree. What fool would dare even attempt to take on such a goal? 0_0

The guy who authored the hypothesis has some interesting ideas about black people and africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kanazawa

In May 2011, he published an article in Psychology Today that explored why black women had been rated less attractive than those of other races in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Subsequent critical independent analysis of the results showed that the difference in assessed attractiveness held for three of the four data sets in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health and that there was only a statistically significant race difference in younger women and that it disappeared by early adulthood.[17] Applying his same reasoning to males, Kanazawa also concluded in his article that black men would generally be considered more attractive. Kanazawa was also criticized for arguing that the common factor of subjective interviewer ratings of attractiveness used in his analysis constitutes an objective scale of attractiveness.[18]

In a 2008 blog post for Psychology Today titled "Why we are losing this war", Kanazawa claims that Americans are unable to win in the Middle East—and in the "global clash of civilizations"—because they do not hate their enemies enough.[22] His blog post continued: "Imagine that, on September 11, 2001, when the Twin Towers came down, the President of the United States was not George W. Bush, but Ann Coulter. What would have happened then? On September 12, President Coulter would have ordered the US military forces to drop 35 nuclear bombs throughout the Middle East, killing all of our actual and potential enemy combatants, and their wives and children. On September 13, the war would have been over and won, without a single American life lost."

In 2006, Kanazawa published a paper suggesting that the poor health of people in some nations is the result not of poverty, but of lower intelligence.[23] In the British Journal of Health Psychology, George Ellison wrote that the theory is based on flawed assumptions, questionable data, inappropriate analysis and biased interpretations. Ellison wrote that Kanazawa mistook statistical associations for evidence of causality and falsely concluded that populations in Sub-Saharan Africa are less healthy because they are unintelligent and not because they are poor.[24] Kevin Denny wrote similar criticisms regarding the IQ data and stated that African-Americans should have similar IQs when compared to the Sub-Saharan African population and that Kanazawa should have measured the distance between areas in a topographical fashion.[25]

He's also been fired from websites and is currently banned by his employer from writing non-peer-reviewed articles

Artofwar420

Pretty safe to say that if you are sleep deprived the potential relation with higher intelligence might be neutralized 'cause you're so unproductive anyway.

kiguel182

It's good to know that one of the authors of one of three peer-reviewed studies mentioned in the article is racist. Immediately disproves the entire claim.

Well, he also used flawed methods to do this studies so he's clearly not the most reveared analyst around.

overcast

I'm just cramming all of my HW down to tonight so I can stay up until class starts and get there early!

Smart night owl I am.

Mully

When I get into a sleep routine, I'm more productive, but not as creative. When I fall asleep at 5PM and wake up at 3AM, I'm really creative but not the least bit productive.

kiguel182

Good thing the article cites multiple studies.

The article quotes this:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...night-owls-are-more-intelligent-morning-larks

http://studymagazine.com/2010/11/10/sleeping-late-sign-laziness-intelligence/

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/paid2009.pdf

Three articles by Kanazawa.

So, not only do they only have one source to this but that said source it's also a man that, apparently, isn't very reliable.

The whole tone of the article is ridiculous but their basis for this is so thin that it doesn't even matter. Just a poorly worded and constructed argument all around.

This finally answers one of the mysteries of the universe; as you enter your twilight years, you need less and less sleep, so all that extra time is giving those neurons an extra workout that only Fox News can satisfy (average age of Fox News viewer is 68) ;).

Red

Those that don't sleep are the smartest of all.

When I get into a sleep routine, I'm more productive, but not as creative. When I fall asleep at 5PM and wake up at 3AM, I'm really creative but not the least bit productive.
Same thing happens to me. I used to track it because it made such a profound difference.

Eusis

Gamers are pretty smart you know.
Seriously though, I can actually see this as being a thing where those who can get most involved in something are smarter than average, and just as well are more likely to go to bed way later due to their passion, whether it's studying, creating something, reading, playing games, whatever.

What about time zones? When it is night in one nation, it can be morning in another

People must be stupid at different times. Like the day and night cycle in warcraft 3 lololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom