• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.
AranhaHunter said:
Let's look at the facts:
- SK hasn't done anything worthy, ED included
- TH has been in development for 10 years
- He bad talks a great game like GoW
- This game is gonna change the world? How exactly?
- On PSX and GC it was supposed to be an 80 - 100 hour game, now it's 3 games of 25 hours each, c'mon, we know that trick, I invented that trick, 3 * 60 > 60.

- Hundreds of game reviewers, and hundreds of thousands of gamers disagree with you
- False. TH has not been in development for 10 year, it's been conceptualized for over 10 years.
- He never bad talks GoW, get your facts straight.
- What is this supposed to be a fact?
- Again, is this supposed to be a fact or a question?

Mama Smurf said:
I like the look of the game a lot, I really do, and I liked a lot of Eternal Darkness, but what the fuck is so special about that control scheme? I know Dyack loves to overhype (the fuck was so special about ED's story?), so maybe that's just it.

Didn't he hang out a bunch with that prat Kojima? I'd imagine some of that ego rubbed off on Dyack.

Tellaerin

Amir0x said:
basically i can just read a lovecraft book and not have to suffer through terrible interpretations in game form. also i get to avoid crappy combat and a weak, gimmicky sanity system with far too few penalties

Even if Eternal Darkness is as awe-inspiringly awful as you say (I can't judge, having never played it), I doubt the experience could possibly be more painful than reading the fiction that inspired it. Reading Lovecraft means willingly subjecting yourself to some of the most bombastic purple prose ever written.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Amir0x said:
This is me...

This combat is boring and not fun at all.
Oh neat, the volume on my TV just turned down. Must be one of them 'sanity effects.'
God this game is uninteresting, let me just see what happens when I let my sanity get lower and lower.

Later on intentionally getting my sanity lower just to see what other "sanity effects" there were. Since the penalties were almost non-existant and low sanity could be fixed easily, and none of the effects were even remotely surprising, it basically turned into a 'gosh, what wacky thing will happen next' effect.

Dyack might say the game was designed for that though, so perhaps I really enjoyed it but secretly don't realize it.
I agree with this post. The sanity effects were totally broken and inconsequential. For such a touted feature, you'd think it might actually matter. Instead, the sanity effects were just annoying intermissions between active moments of gameplay, that is, if you can't be bothered to heal your sanity level so as to completely avoid the whole thing.

I can't believe I paid $50 for Eternal Darkness. I should've just played Luigi's Mansion again.

Amir0x

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Even if Eternal Darkness is as awe-inspiringly awful as you say (I can't judge, having never played it), I doubt the experience could possibly be more painful than reading the fiction that inspired it. Reading Lovecraft means willingly subjecting yourself to some of the most bombastic purple prose ever written.

I think ED is a 'decent' game, but missed its mark by a few hundred thousand feet. None of its touted features came even close to being special. And the combat was lame, and the game was boring. But there are many worse games.

Anyway, it is worse.

White Man

Why is everyone hung up on Eternal Darkness? I think Dyack's major accomplishment at this point in his career is somehow ruining a port of Metal gear Solid.

Amir0x

Banned
White Man said:
I think Dyack's major accomplishment at this point in his career is somehow ruining a port of Metal gear Solid.

:lol

Still, now that he has learned from EAD, Miyamoto and Kojima, his next game is bound to change the world.

I've noticed that in general, Japanese developers are more likely to create console games with some overarcing message than their Western counterparts.

Given the "quality" of plots found in most if not all Japanese games, I'd say maybe western developers know their own limitations.

Amir0x

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
As I stated in another thread, I'd like to see any of you nobodies talk this kind of shit straight to his face.

w...would he eat me?

Oh wait, he's not fat anymore. Damn. I can't use easy insults :(

Ark-AMN

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I've talked bigger shit to bigger folks in the software industry -- and to their face.
Well damnit you had to post just right before I did. I know you'd talk shit to anyone anywhere. :lol

Speevy

Banned
We ought to start an "Eat crow" thread about Too Human. Like if it receives review scores above or below a certain mark, a humiliating avatar for the losers.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Drinky Crow said:
I've talked bigger shit to bigger folks in the software industry -- and to their face.

if you'd named an industry other than software, i'd doubt that it could accommodate folk bigger than dyack

hihatyoko6xk.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
We ought to start an "Eat crow" thread about Too Human. Like if it receives review scores above or below a certain mark, a humiliating avatar for the losers.

you can't eat crow based on subjective quality of a game. Gamerankings doesn't vindicate either side, regardless of their previous expectations. You can only eat crow for fact based things, like sales!

monkeyrun

White Man said:
Why is everyone hung up on Eternal Darkness? I think Dyack's major accomplishment at this point in his career is somehow ruining a port of Metal gear Solid.
it's like someone already figured out the gameplay and storyline, and actually created a prototype for him to follow and somehow he still manages to screw it up.

I wonder what he could do with a Super Mario Bros 3 remake :lol

Speevy

Banned
Amir0x said:
you can't eat crow based on subjective quality of a game. Gamerankings doesn't vindicate either side, regardless of their previous expectations. You can only eat crow for fact based things, like sales!

Oh, even I wouldn't walk out on that limb. I think Gamerankings does a pretty good job of separating decent games from garbage, all things considered.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
Oh, even I wouldn't walk out on that limb. I think Gamerankings does a pretty good job of separating decent games from garbage, all things considered.

i disagree so often with everyone that I've learned to depend only on sp0rsk for game advice.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
i disagree so often with everyone that I've learned to depend only on sp0rsk for game advice.

Fixed thread title again to properly reflect the content of the thread

this post has nothing to do with the quote, i just wanted to reinforce the fact that i am really awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Fixed thread title again to properly reflect the content of the thread

this post has nothing to do with the quote, i just wanted to reinforce the fact that i am really awesome.

now reccomend me a game

Joe

i think people are going overboard with the hate because they know he's reading/posting here so they get some sort of e-thrill talking shit about games.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:

what is, yo

Joe said:
i think people are going overboard with the hate because they know he's reading/posting here so they get some sort of e-thrill talking shit about games.

Definitely some hyperbole. Anyone who takes GAF criticism too seriously is not going to be making games long anyway :p

Mrbob

Joe said:

Obviously. ;)

OH AND BUY A 360 EVERYONE.

sprsk

No hyperbole from me

I was seriously infuriated by MGS:TT not because it was hard or the controls were bad either. I felt like i was watching a very very very very bad movie. If i could i would erase the experience from my memory. I might give up some motor skills to do so. (okay the last part was a bit of hyperbole)

White Man

Joe said:

Jaffe got a little of this sort of thing, but not nearly as much as Dyack is getting. That's because Jaffe, although overrated, has something other than disappointments on his report card. Dyack. . .he's like an infant that's proud of his own shit. He'd be comparing Too Human to Ludwig Wittgenstein if they had covered him in the Intro to Philosophy course he must've taken.

scooby_dooby said:
- Hundreds of game reviewers, and hundreds of thousands of gamers disagree with you
- False. TH has not been in development for 10 year, it's been conceptualized for over 10 years.

The Playstation version of Too Human says hi.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
the year 20XX said:
The Playstation version of Too Human says hi.

Y-yyyep:

IGN said:
Too Human's history is one that dates to the earliest days of developer Silicon Knights. This epic title has been a dream project for the developer for years, with development on it attempted for the original PlayStation and GameCube systems before finally ending up on the powerful Xbox 360 system

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/748/748783.html

sprsk

Cerebral Palsy said:
Developers are free game now? So I can call Jaffe a douche!?

I believe we had that thread already. Id totally defend jaffe though. (i somehow mised out on that thread)

I'm interested in Too Human, although I will not accept it as the second coming just yet.

Also...

Ninja Gaiden = Virtua Fighter
Devil May Cry (excluding 2) = Street Fighter
God Of War = Mortal Kombat

ElyrionX

:lol

The thread title change made me click into this thread.

Nice work, GAF. It isn't everyday we manage to provoke a developer into replying.

Anyway, why the hell is a Nintard developing games for the 360? No Revolution love?

sprsk

Mr. Pointy said:
I'm interested in Too Human, although I will not accept it as the second coming just yet.

Also...

Ninja Gaiden = Virtua Fighter
Devil May Cry (excluding 2) = Street Fighter
God Of War = Mortal Kombat

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? no

NG=DOA
DMC3=VF4
God of war =...fun and simple has no relevant fighting game comparison(that would imply any sort of good connotation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom