• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Billy Rygar said:
Won't this be 50$ anyways since it is Microsoft first party?
(don't take this as any sort of defense of this game. I've played ED)

I guess so. I'm just talking generally about most third party games. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Unless they're budget titles, $59.99 is what you'll pay.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
GhaleonEB said:
I have two issues with giving up camera control...In a dynamic environment with obsicals and walls that's just not going to work.

who said the environments will have obstacles and walls that need negotiating?

Razoric

Banned
Do you people even wait for preview builds anymore before declaring a game to be shit? What the hell? :lol

"FUCK THIS GAME"

:lol :lol :lol

Speevy said:
I guess so. I'm just talking generally about most third party games. Hundreds and hundreds of them. Unless they're budget titles, $59.99 is what you'll pay.
I realize this. But if it's something you want to play you'll pay it, most people will (I know I will). For fuck sakes look at the attach rate for the 360. And in a couple of years no-one will care anymore.

MrSardonic said:
I thought it was more Ghost in the Shell/Bladerunner. And 25 hours isn't bad, but I suspect it will be closer to 12.

wtf is going to happen to the framerate and detail though?

4-player co-op over Live? I suspect the frame rate and detail will remain the same :)

Solid

Razoric said:
Do you people even wait for preview builds anymore before declaring a game to be shit? What the hell? :lol

"FUCK THIS GAME"

:lol :lol :lol
Exactly. It's pretty funny stuff though, to read at least. You think they arent serious but they are :) Makes it even funnier.

And I cant understand how someone can buy all crappy EA games for 60 but question quality that will be Too Human. Stupid random american customer.

Odrion

Banned
mmlemay said:
What's wrong with a 25 hour game that has 4-player co-op throughout the entire single-player game? Let me guess - you don't have a 360? Only people without a 360 truly bitch about the $60 games. That is the new standard price point for the next generation. GET OVER IT.

I own a 360 and the $60 price tag on games suck. :mad:

(Also, I expect Too Human to be around 15 hours long. Which isn't that bad.)

KiNeSiS

Banned
Solid said:
Exactly. It's pretty funny stuff though, to read at least. You think they arent serious but they are :) Makes it even funnier.

And I cant understand how someone can buy all crappy EA games for 60 but question quality that will be Too Human. Stupid random american customer.

EA has published 2 of the best 360 games yet. Burnout Revenge and Fight Night 3

I agree with everything you said except leave those two out of it homey.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SRSLY guys, I'm no Dyack lover but a 25 hour game would be more than sufficient for this genre. I beat God of War in almost one third that time and was still happy with the end result.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Billy Rygar said:
Won't this be 50$ anyways since it is Microsoft first party?
(don't take this as any sort of defense of this game. I've played ED)

Yea I was about to say the same thing, this is a Microsoft game, it'll be $50.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
At the risk of sounding like an irritable fugitive, I will attempt to humbly set forth a brief précis of Mr. Denis Dyack's most unbridled maneuvers in hopes of convincing you, the reader, to help call your attention to the problem of rabid, pharisaical con artists. The rest of this is focused exclusively on Denis, not because I harbor any ill-will towards him but because he flagrantly abuses rules and regulations and then complains vehemently when caught. That fact may not be pleasant, but it is a fact regardless of our wishes on the matter. If his asseverations get any more muzzy-headed, I expect they'll grow legs and attack me in my sleep. If Denis were paying attention -- which it would seem he is not, as I've already gone over this -- he'd see that this is sufficiently illustrated by the ridicule with which his equivocations are treated by everyone other than lackadaisical cozeners. The logical consequences of that are clear: Denis would have us believe that he commands an army of robots that live in the hollow center of the earth and produce earthquakes whenever they feel like shaking things up a bit on the surface. Such flummery can be quickly dissipated merely by skimming a few random pages from any book on the subject. For better or for worse, Denis doesn't want us to free people from the fetters of emotionalism's poisonous embrace. He would rather we settle for the meatless bone of mercantalism. Perhaps it sounds like stating the obvious to say that his dangerous attempt to construct a creative response was absolutely pitiful. Really, Denis, stringing together a bunch of solecistic insults and seemingly random babble is hardly effective. It simply proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that his methods are much subtler now than ever before. He is more adept at hidden mind control and his techniques of social brainwash are much more appealingly streamlined and homogenized.

My next point of order is that I know some unreasonable authoritarians who actually believe that anyone who disagrees with Denis is ultimately despicable. Incredible? Those same people have told me that he has a "special" perspective on autism which carries with it a "special" right to make a big deal out of nothing. With such people roaming about, it should come as no surprise to you that if everyone does his own, small part, together we can shatter the illusion that anyone who resists Denis deserves to be crushed. His little world is far from reality. For proof of this fact, I must point out that his obloquies are as appealing as braces, acne, and a wooden leg at the senior prom. And here, I aver, lies a clue to the intellectual vacuum so gapingly apparent in his inveracities. Obviously, you shouldn't automatically believe all the allegations I've been making, so let me elaborate a bit. Denis operates on an international scale to obliterate our sense of identity. It's only fitting, therefore, that we, too, work on an international scale, but to allay the concerns of the many people who have been harmed by Denis.

At first blush, it appears that I have found, to my considerable surprise, that Denis shows a complete lack of foresight. However, Denis's arguments would be a lot more effective if they were at least accurate or intelligent, not just a load of bull for the sake of being controversial. To make a long story short, I am not fooled by his subversive and eristic rhetoric. I therefore gladly accept the responsibility of notifying others that we must anneal discourse with honesty, clear thinking, and a sense of moral good. Our children depend on that. There is a problem here. A large, cheeky, frightful problem. Denis's prevarications are a house of mirrors. How are we to find the opening that leads to freedom? It's an interesting question, and its examination will help us understand how Denis's mind works. Let me start by providing evidence that Denis's adulators all have serious personal problems. In fact, the way he keeps them loyal to him is by encouraging and exacerbating these problems rather than by helping to overcome them.

To most people, the list of Denis's hopeless philosophies reads like a comic strip, but his dissertations are actually taken seriously by his hirelings. I pause to note that you don't need to be a rocket scientist to detect the subtext of this letter. But just in case it's too subliminal for some, let me thrust it into your face right here: Denis likes to quote all of the saccharine, sticky moralisms about "human rights" and the evils of neopaganism. But as soon as we stop paying attention, he invariably instructs his disciples to play fast and loose with the truth. Then, when someone notices, the pattern repeats from the beginning. Though this game may seem perverse beyond belief to any sane individual, it makes perfect sense in light of Denis's blathering catch-phrases. If you will pardon me for mentioning it, whenever he gives a speech, he is always careful to sidestep the issue of how he is begging the question when he says that at birth, every living being is assigned a celestial serial number or frequency power spectrum. Am I aware of how Denis will react when he reads that last sentence? Yes. Do I care? No, because he should think about how his hypnopompic insights lead lame-brained chuckleheads to judge people based solely on hearsay. If Denis doesn't want to think that hard, perhaps he should just keep quiet.

What Denis is incapable of seeing is that if a cogent, logical argument entered his brain, no doubt a concussion would result. He says he's going to help amateurish, hateful fugitives evade capture by the authorities some day. Good old Denis. He just loves to open his mouth and let all kinds of things come out without listening to how devious they sound. His statements are a catty carnival of Dadaism. But there are other strains of soulless barbarism active today, and the siren calls of those movements may mesmerize myopic misers whose combative fervor blinds them to historical lessons. In this volatile political moment, we must cautiously guard against the dangers of irresponsible solipsism.

That's all I have to say.

Considering you used to write for GameFan, I guess we should all just be happy that you managed to spell "Denis" right when you typed it into the All-Purpose Argument Generator or whatever.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Kobun Heat said:
Considering you used to write for GameFan, I guess we should all just be happy that you managed to spell "Denis" right when you typed it into the All-Purpose Argument Generator or whatever.

Random Complaint Generator for the win :D

border

I kind of doubt this guy's ability to make a solid action game, given his obsession with narrative and inexperience with the genre. A control scheme that doesn't allow for blocking certainly seems like a bad start.

I'd like this to be good since it's gonna have 4P mode...

Kobun Heat said:

Classic. People love to hate around here. I especially laughed at the point where ruby_onix "Actually, … paraphrased some…" interviews “a bit” which continued with a tirade from MrSandonic accusing the forum of “not reading” (LOL – nice find), finally ending with Mike Works’ Tourette’s syndrome grand finale.

Some of you are very "special".

:lol

Denis Dyack said:
Classic. People love to hate around here. I especially laughed at the point where ruby_onix "Actually, … paraphrased some…" interviews “a bit” which continued with a tirade from MrSandonic accusing the forum of “not reading” (LOL – nice find), finally ending with Mike Works’ Tourette’s syndrome grand finale.

Some of you guys are really "special".

We need more threads like this just to get more developers onto GAF!

I enjoyed Eternal Darkness as well as MGS:TTS. I look forward to seeing Too Human. Especially since its a title that he's been promoting for years. He does seem to get alot of hate though. Its just awesome that he's come in to defend himself.

Scalemail Ted said:
I enjoyed Eternal Darkness as well as MGS:TTS. I look forward to seeing Too Human. Especially since its a title that he's been promoting for years. He does seem to get alot of hate though. Its just awesome that he's come in to defend himself.

So awesome.

TheDuce22

Banned
border said:
Seems like he came to call people haters and retards, rather than defend himself.

Last I checked it was a bannable offense to call another poster all the names he has been called in this thread. Why should he even bother?

Denis Dyack said:

I'm going to make a videogame and call the main character Skrow Ekim.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
:lol Who changed the subject heading?

Rise to Honor wasn't bad. It was just misunderstood.

tipjetli.jpg

Denis Dyack said:

i liked eternal darkness and twin snakes, but this is the last straw. You do not come in here and insult my fellow GAF brothers and get away with it.

Shalomi

Ninja Scooter said:
i liked eternal darkness and twin snakes, but this is the last straw. You do not come in here and insult my fellow GAF brothers and get away with it.

Well, to be fair, this is the intertronic mindspace, and in particular this is GAF, and it's not exactly like he came in here unexpectedly and ruined the happy atmosphere of the thread.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's astonishing how pertinent the second-last paragraph of that randomly generated complaint almost is. personally writing posts is probably a sucker's game at this point. i'm impressed.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Id like to add that metal gear solid the twin snakes ALMOST made me quit playing video games.

drohne said:
it's astonishing how pertinent the second-last paragraph of that randomly generated complaint almost is. personally writing posts is probably a sucker's game at this point. i'm impressed.
your statements are a catty carnival of dadaism.

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Id like to add that metal gear solid the twin snakes ALMOST made me quit playing video games.

Eternal Darkness was so terrible, so totally ill-conceived that I almost instantly smashed my Gamecube upon completion of the game.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Speevy said:
Guess what

Most games next generation will be $60
And most of those games will be around the 25 hour range, if not shorter.

Get over it.

Get N or Get over it.

yoopoo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Eternal Darkness was so terrible, so totally ill-conceived that I almost instantly smashed my Gamecube upon completion of the game.
Oh screw you, that game was amazing. One of the best last gen.

drohne

your avatar is a catty carnival of dadaism!

Amir0x said:

see, you just failed to grasp the metagame -- you almost smash your gamecube after your first playthrough of eternal darkness, you actually smash your gamecube after your second, and then on your third playthrough you marvel at the build quality of nintendo hardware. the third playthrough is the most rewarding. just ask kobun.

Amir0x

Banned
yoopoo said:
Oh screw you, that game was amazing. One of the best last gen.

i guess for some

basically i can just read a lovecraft book and not have to suffer through terrible interpretations in game form. also i get to avoid crappy combat and a weak, gimmicky sanity system with far too few penalties

drohne said:
see, you just failed to grasp the metagame -- you almost smash your gamecube after your first playthrough of eternal darkness, you actually smash your gamecube after your second, and then on your third playthrough you marvel at the build quality of nintendo hardware. the third playthrough is the most rewarding. just ask kobun.

Fuck, I knew i should have read the manual. I hope it has a page that explains to me the deep connections it has to shakespeare, nietzche, socrates and lovecraft. just in case i missed it in college.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:

I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. Twin Snakes was pretty subpar, though.

drohne

actually i mean the third-last paragraph of the randomly generated complaint, supposing one counts "that's all i have to say" as a paragraph. fyi.

Amir0x

Banned
TheTrin said:
I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. Twin Snakes was pretty subpar, though.

This is me...

This combat is boring and not fun at all.
Oh neat, the volume on my TV just turned down. Must be one of them 'sanity effects.'
God this game is uninteresting, let me just see what happens when I let my sanity get lower and lower.

Later on intentionally getting my sanity lower just to see what other "sanity effects" there were. Since the penalties were almost non-existant and low sanity could be fixed easily, and none of the effects were even remotely surprising, it basically turned into a 'gosh, what wacky thing will happen next' effect.

Dyack might say the game was designed for that though, so perhaps I really enjoyed it but secretly don't realize it.

Don't forget the visible sanity bar that broke the whole thing.

I traded in 3 games for that (one of the only times I've ever traded games). I'll never forgive you, Denis.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
This is me...

This combat is boring and not fun at all.
Oh neat, the volume on my TV just turned down. Must be one of them 'sanity effects.'
God this game is uninteresting, let me just see what happens when I let my sanity get lower and lower.

Later on intentionally getting my sanity lower just to see what other "sanity effects" there were. Since the penalties were almost non-existant and low sanity could be fixed easily, and none of the effects were even remotely surprising, it basically turned into a 'gosh, what wacky thing will happen next' effect.

Dyack might say the game was designed for that though, so perhaps I really enjoyed it but secretly don't realize it.

Hahaha, maybe. :p

The problem with the gameplay, as you said, was that it was really easily to refill your health and your sanity. I found it a fun game, but it wasn't the groundbreaking Dyack said it would be. Did anyone expect it would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom