• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UKIP leader defends racist colleague, claims "Chinky" is an everyday word for Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
UKIP is a UK right-wing party that has had near weekly incidents over racism, xenophobia and plain stupidity yet still gets taken seriously by some people. In one case a member blamed floods in the UK on gay marriage being legalised.

So last week this happened:

Smith stood down as candidate for South Basildon and East Thurrock – regarded as one of Ukip’s most winnable target constituencies – this month after the release of a recording of a phone call in which he mocked gay party members as “fucking disgusting old poofters”, joked about shooting people from Chigwell in a “peasant hunt” and referred to a woman with a Chinese name as a “Chinky bird”. He later resigned as a party member.

and Nigel Farage went on the radio to defend him as a good bloke and his critics as "snobs". Then this happened:

On Friday, Farage threatened to escalate that row after describing the Essex councillor as a “rough diamond” and criticising what he called metropolitan snobbery against people from outside the capital using “colloquial” language. Challenged over Smith’s use of the word “chinky” to describe a Chinese person, Farage asked: “If you and your mates are going out for a Chinese, what would you say you were going for?”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/20/ukip-tells-members-dont-go-twitter-nigel-farage

and further to that UKIP is advising members to stay off twitter in order to avoid exposing their racism, because hiding it is more important than tackling it.

Nigel Farage is cracking down on Ukip supporters’ social media activity after a series of scandals over racist comments. The party has changed its constitution to prevent unauthorised use of the Ukip logo by supporters, members and officials, while Ukip’s chairman has warned those tempted to join Twitter: “My advice: just don’t.”

The move follows hugely embarrassing revelations about the publicly stated views of a host of Ukip European and local election candidates.

In one of the more notorious episodes, William Henwood, a Ukip candidate in Enfield, was exposed by this newspaper for tweeting the suggestion that Lenny Henry, who had recently lamented the lack of ethnic-minority faces on television, should emigrate to a “black country” and does “not have to live with whites”.

Andre Lampitt, the star of Ukip’s 2014 party election broadcast, was suspended for calling Ed Miliband “not British”, attacking “evil” Islam and saying Africans should “kill themselves”.

More:

A Ukip candidate is suspended over suggestions that compulsory abortion should be considered for foetuses with Down's syndrome or spina bifida.

It emerges that a Ukip candidate allegedly described gay sex as "disgusting" and said homosexuals were not "normal" on a Ukip online forum. The Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, insists he would not expel members for voicing "old-fashioned" views about homosexuality.

It was also revealed this week that Roger Helmer, the senior Ukip MEP, had previously penned a pamphlet stating homosexuality is "not a valid lifestyle worthy of equal respect". In the leaflet, titled Straight Talking on Europe, Helmer denounced homosexual behaviour as "undesirable".

A Sunday Mirror investigation finds the party's then East Midlands chairman and Lincoln councillor Chris Pain described illegal immigrants as "sandal-wearing, bomb-making, camel-riding, goat-fucking, ragheads" on his Facebook page

At the start of the year, Ukip councillor David Silvester claimed the floods that were afflicting the country were caused by the government's decision to legalise gay marriage. Silvester claimed David Cameron moved in a direction that was "arrogantly against the Gospel", and would result in "disaster".

Twitter had a good laugh at Ukip's expense after the party's South Thanet branch tweeted its ire that the Daily Politics' choice of location for conducting a straw poll on whether Nigel Farage had what it took to be PM. The tweet said, "perfect place to hold vote in front of a mosque in London". The vote took place outside Westminster Cathedral, the country's most important Catholic church.

Farage said in an interview that people would be concerned if Romanians moved in next door. When asked what the difference was between having Romanians and Germans as next door neighbours, he replied "you know what the difference is".

http://www.cityam.com/206040/ukip-2014-best-gaffes-resignations-and-controversies

And that is a tiny selection.

Omikaru

I think at this point if you're voting UKIP, you know the party is brimming with racist shitlords and you simply don't care. I just don't know how you could be ignorant of their racism for this long.

What a fucking detestable party. So embarrassing for this country that these guys are polling in third place right now.

Porcile

I'm finding that the media isn't doing enough to shame these morons. If this was Labour or Tory MP they'd have their head on a post, but UKIP is still fringe so the publicity isn't damaging them as much as it should.

Mr. Sam

I'm getting very vivid reminders of the Peep Show where Mark befriends a guy who turns out to be a racist.

Mark: Listen, I might just… pop down to the Chinky. You want anything?
Jeremy: From… uh… no, I’m alright, thanks.
Mark: What about from the Paki shop? You want anything from in there?
Jeremy: The Paki shop?
Mark: Yeah, I don’t normally go there. They’ve always got the Wop box on.
Jeremy: Mark, what the hell are you talking about?
Mark: Yeah… that’s not on, is it? What I said, it’s not alright, is it?
Jeremy: Well, no.
Mark: And, obviously you don’t think there’s a global Jewish conspiracy controlling everything.
Jeremy: What, you mean am I a racist?
Mark: Yeah. If you think that, and say those things, you’re a racist, aren’t you?
Jeremy: Well, yeah.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finding that the media isn't doing enough to shame these morons. If this was Labour or Tory MP they'd have their head on a post, but UKIP is still fringe so the publicity isn't damaging them as much as it should.

I think it's more that potential Labour of potential Conservative voters would be horrified if a prospective candidate said something like this, so making sure people are aware of it has a strong shaming effect. Potential UKIP voters either agree with what is being said, or simply don't care either way, so telling people about doesn't really shame UKIP; if anything it probably attracts a fringe who finally have an 'acceptable' racist party in the way the BNP never was.

madmackem

I hate the fella and ukip but hes not wrong on this one, i live in the north east and its used alot, i used it as a young kid without knowing it was offensive. Sometime people dont like it when people shine a light on them but this kind of lingo is used up and down the country.

slit

I had a friend back in the day and that was his nickname. He wasn't Chinese though and I'm not from the UK so.....

I hate the fella and ukip but hes not wrong on this one, i live in the north east and its used alot, i used it as a young kid without knowing it was offensive. Sometime people dont like it when people shine a light on them but this kind of lingo is used up and down the country.

Lived in London & Essex my whole life and only ever heard "chinky" used in an offensive context.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
All parties are full of twats.

Probably true, but some parties have more twats and some parties have worse twats and some parties have more worse twats; and the difference is important and has real effects on peoples lives. At the point you say "well, there's no perfect party so fuck it", you are part of the problem.

hidys

I'm getting very vivid reminders of the Peep Show where Mark befriends a guy who turns out to be a racist.

Mark: And, obviously you don’t think there’s a global Jewish conspiracy controlling everything.
Mark: Yeah. If you think that, and say those things, you’re a racist, aren’t you?

I had this exact scene in my head.

To the topic at hand I mean Jesus christ how stupid is this guy?

How could anybody think Chinky isn't a racist term?

slit

Probably true, but some parties have more twats and some parties have worse twats and some parties have more worse twats; and the difference is important and has real effects on peoples lives. At the point you say "well, there's no perfect party so fuck it", you are part of the problem.

UK: The land of twats?

Beefy

I think all are about equal, it's just the bigger, better funded parties can cover it up more.

madmackem

Lived in London & Essex my whole life and only ever heard "chinky" used in an offensive context.

Honestly mate people use it up here with no malice behind it, same as paki shop, people know it now but growing up i used them words without it ever crossing my mind i bet theres plenty still do.

This kind of lingo isn't used up and down the land from my experience.

Is it only used between close friends and family?

10/10

Literally exactly what I was thinking.

To be fair chinky and stuff like "paki shop" is said by people of a certain generation in less cosmopolitan parts of the country quite often and usually without malice.

But that says nothing of the myriad other slip ups and gaffs the party is prone to.

Dambrosi

Banned
Honestly mate people use it up here with no malice behind it, same as paki shop, people know it now but growing up i used them words without it ever crossing my mind i bet theres plenty still do.
I'm from inner-city Liverpool, and here you'd get ostracised from society for using those words, even when I was a kid. Everyone knew the context and not to use them.

I've never heard them ever being used in normal conversation, except in television dramas, to single out the one racist shithead who'd be dead or in jail by the end.

(OT, but doesn't the phrase "television dramas" sound quaint these days? Like "doilies" or "water closet".)

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
To be fair chinky and stuff like "paki shop" is said by people of a certain generation in less cosmopolitan parts of the country quite often and usually without malice.

But that says nothing of the myriad other slip ups and gaffs the party is prone to.

I used to say paki shop when I was younger, pretty much all my friends and family did, never chinky though.

Porcile

Nigel Farage isn't from one of those less cosmopolitan areas. His use of the word chinky is just public school post-colonial arrogance.

Is a paki shop just somewhere that sells food? Is it even Pakistani food or just Indian food in general? I've only heard that on peep show.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Is a paki shop just somewhere that sells food? Is it even Pakistani food or just Indian food in general? I've only heard that on peep show.

Normally used to refer to a corner shop that is run by Pakistanis. Literally no difference other than who owns/runs it.

Winter John

Chinky is fairly common. Most people who use it aren't raving racists, it's just shorthand for the chinese takeaway. Paki shop used to be very common but nobody uses that anymore. Now it's just the corner shop.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Chinky is the kinda thing you hear kids used in school to get a one up on that token asian kid in your class via an argument and not casually thrown around to describe anything remotely Chinese. UKIP get dumber by the week.

Kyoufu

Chinky is fairly common. Most people who use it aren't raving racists, it's just shorthand for the chinese takeaway. Paki shop used to be very common but nobody uses that anymore. Now it's just the corner shop.

I've never heard anyone here use that term.

That does not make it ok. That does not make it any less of a racial slur/racist term. You can be a racist without being a "raving racist".

potam

Banned
Maybe he meant 'Chinky' as in 'a chink in the armor'. You know, it was commentary on the quality of Chinese-manufactured goods. Like, "Hey all those Chinese guys are making shoddy stuff, lots of chinks in their armor. They're all chinky."

Maybe something like that?

Social

haha, I loved that scene, been using the Paki shop line ever since (joke wise). It's funny cause it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom