• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UKIP leader defends racist colleague, claims "Chinky" is an everyday word for Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, it's okay. Making racist statements doesn't mean that you're going to be racist on the job. I'm sure they are consummate professionals when dealing with all races, sexual orientations, and religions.

I'm not British, but I'm familiar with these phrases used in these ways because I've watched "Only Fools and Horses" before. Whether it's appropriate to use them is unquestionable and this fella seems horrid, but to see actual English people say they've never heard "going out for a Chinky" is kind of surprising to me. This sort of language was used prominently on one of the most cherished British shows of all time--and it was on the BBC, wasn't it? It doesn't surprise me that it would still be common lingo for lots of people, whether it should be or not.

If there's no racist intent behind it's use then I'd say it does make it less of a racial slur.

No, that's completely wrong. There will ALWAYS be a racist intent behind it. An off the cuff racist slur is still a racist slur. It's not about intent, it's about the history and weight the words hold. For years they've been used to indicated that the discriminated are below the discriminator. Just because you have "no intent" does not mean it's not racist, because those words still hold all of the history and uses of the words before you have mentioned it.

For example, using the n word, even if you're using it with no racist intent that still holds all of the negative connotations gathered through the history of it's use, because it is a word that was designed to point out and mock people that others think are below them.

Tbf I have heard it a few times and only lived in London a couple months.

Huh, maybe I just run with people who are more aware of its racist overtones as I've never come across anyone say that or refer to the local newsagents/convenience store as the paki shop.

lednerg

If it's a phrase from a TV show, then what is the context? Are the characters who say it racists? Calling a Polish person a Pollock was something we constantly heard on TV in the 70's on All in the Family - but that doesn't excuse the bigotry.

Winter John

No, that's completely wrong. There will ALWAYS be a racist intent behind it. An off the cuff racist slur is still a racist slur. It's not about intent, it's about the history and weight the words hold. For years they've been used to indicated that the discriminated are below the discriminator. Just because you have "no intent" does not mean it's not racist, because those words still hold all of the history and uses of the words before you have mentioned it.

For example, using the n word, even if you're using it with no racist intent that still holds all of the negative connotations gathered through the history of it's use, because it is a word that was designed to point out and mock people that others think are below them.

No, it's completely right. It is absolutely all about intent. When people say they are going for a chinky. They are not using the word as a descriptor of race, or a slur. There is no racist connotation in this case, because it is being applied to a building or a type of food, and not a race or group of people.

Red

If there's no racist intent behind it's use then I'd say it does make it less of a racial slur.
You say it makes it less of a racist slur. How far along the continuum are we talking, and what other factors play into the racism packed into a word? Is a slur made with "no racist intent," say, 20% less racist? 30%? Who is the authority on how racist a word is in different contexts?
No, it's completely right. It is absolutely all about intent. When people say they are going for a chinky. They are not using the word as a descriptor of race, or a slur. There is no racist connotation in this case, because it is being applied to a building or a type of food, and not a race or group of people.
Amazing.

It's still racist. It still has all the connotations of a racist slur, it is a racist slur therefore it is racist. You do not get to decide what racist slurs are.

Winter John

It's still racist. It still has all the connotations of a racist slur, it is a racist slur therefore it is racist. You do not get to decide what racist slurs are.

I see you've decided to completely ignore the points raised, put your fingers in yours and shout "Dat's racist." I've explained quite clearly why it's usage isn't racist in this case. There is no racist intent. It is not directed at a race or group of people. Is the word "Chinky." used as a racist term? Absolutely. However, when the average person says something along the lines of " I'm going down the chinky." They are not directing it towards Chinese people. It's not being used as a racist insult. It is merely shorthand for Chinese Takeaway.

King_Moc

Banned
I think at this point if you're voting UKIP, you know the party is brimming with racist shitlords and you simply don't care. I just don't know how you could be ignorant of their racism for this long.

What a fucking detestable party. So embarrassing for this country that these guys are polling in third place right now.

People aren't ignorant of the racism. It's why they want to vote for them. If you vote for them, you're racist. It's that simple.

AngryMoth

I'm from Yorkshire and I hear it now and again but only from twats. Most people never say it.

Also fuck UKIP, etc, etc.

I see you've decided to completely ignore the points raised, put your fingers in yours and shout "Dat's racist." I've explained quite clearly why it's usage isn't racist in this case. There is no racist intent. It is not directed at a race or group of people. Is the word "Chinky." used as a racist term? Absolutely. However, when the average person says something along the lines of " I'm going down the chinky." They are not directing it towards Chinese people. It's not being used as a racist insult. It is merely shorthand for Chinese Takeaway.

and you haven't ignored what I have said about the history and connotations of the word? The usage is racist, because the word itself is racist.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm not British, but I'm familiar with these phrases used in these ways because I've watched "Only Fools and Horses" before. Whether it's appropriate to use them is unquestionable and this fella seems horrid, but to see actual English people say they've never heard "going out for a Chinky" is kind of surprising to me. This sort of language was used prominently on one of the most cherished British shows of all time--and it was on the BBC, wasn't it? It doesn't surprise me that it would still be common lingo for lots of people, whether it should be or not.

I think OFAH has the Pakistan shop phrase once, used in an episode from 1981. Just look at reaction you get to the phrase now when Iggy Pop said the same thing live on TV at the Glastonbury Festival in 2007.

Walshicus

People aren't ignorant of the racism. It's why they want to vote for them. If you vote for them, you're racist. It's that simple.

This.

What *does* depress me though is how ignorant the working class people who vote for UKIP are of UKIP's anti-working class policies. I just worry that we'll get to a situation like in America with their Republican Party where whole swathes of the population are in the "Turkeys Voting For Christmas" bucket.

Winter John

and you haven't ignored what I have said about the history and connotations of the word?

Of course I ignored it, it's irrelevant nonsense. You are attempting to find racism where none exists. There is no racist intent in this example. If someone said, "I hate Chinkys." I would absolutely agree with you, but again, what we are talking about here are people who used the word as shorthand to describe a building or food. It was not used as a slur to describe a race or people.

Jackpot

Banned

So if someone says "I'm going down to nigger-land" as shorthand for visiting Brixton it's not racist? Or is someone calls chopsticks "slanty-eyed forks" it's not racist because it's directed at any object?

lednerg

When I grew up, kids would call each other faggots all the time, despite not really knowing what the word meant. In recent times, it's become an issue and has fallen out of favor as an insult. Same goes for retarded. Language evolves over time and if you don't evolve with it, then sometimes you risk sounding like a bigot. Of course if you actually are a bigot, then this isn't going to matter to you and you're just going to complain about people being too politically correct.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So if someone says "I'm going down to nigger-land" as shorthand for visiting Brixton it's not racist? Or is someone calls chopsticks "slanty-eyed forks" it's not racist because it's directed at any object?

I think the point he's (badly) trying to make is the difference between 'racism with intent' and 'racism from ignorance'. My girlfriend's dad used to say Paki shops until it was pointed out to him that this was actually a racist phrase; he was then deeply embarrassed and has never used the word since. While he was using a phrase that was racist, in that merely hearing the phrase can make someone of Pakistani descent or nationality feel deeply uncomfortable and is therefore discriminatory, he didn't intend it to be racist: there was no desire to discriminate against people. Obviously, both are bad, but one seems worse to me than the other, sort of comparable to manslaughter vs. murder.

Real Hero

Many people I know (and probably me, without thinking) have used the term before exactly in way Nigel says. But the thing is that doesn't make it OK, we all have a duty check yourselves over stuff like this and getting defensive over it just makes you seem like a full on racist rather than somone who just grew up around that kind of language and attitude. I don't think everyone who says chinky is a racist but if they bother to defend it when called on it they probably are.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Many people I know (and probably me, without thinking) have used the term before exactly in way Nigel says. But the thing is that doesn't make it OK, we all have a duty check yourselves over stuff like this and getting defensive over it just makes you seem like a full on racist rather somone who just grew up around that kind of language and attitude. I don't think everyone who says chinky is a racist but if they bother to defend it when called on it they probably are.
This is a good post.

I've been calling out the party and its supporters for the longest time and there's ALWAYS somebody willing to make excuses for them and claim that just because young Nigel used to sing actual fascist songs with his mates that doesn't mean he's a bad person. People change and whatnot.

What now.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

So the Aston Paki Maui hotel in Hawaii is profoundly racist, the equivalent of calling it the Aston ni**er hotel?

Red

So the Aston Paki Maui hotel in Hawaii is profoundly racist, the equivalent of calling it the Aston ni**er hotel?

pakī
vs. To splash, spatter, squirt, spurt; splashing, spattering, squirting. Ka ʻauwai pakī, the ditch [that is but a] splatter. Nānā nō a ka ʻulu i pakī kēpau, look for the breadfruit spattered with gum [mature; fig., a man of substance]. hoʻo.pakī To splash, spatter, etc.

I am guessing "paki" in this case is not the English word, since you are talking about a hotel in Hawaii. Even if it were, that wouldn't make its usage less racist. What you are arguing is the equivalent of saying, since major US sports teams are using racist icons of Native Americans, such iconography is A-OK.

Beefy

Huh, maybe I just run with people who are more aware of its racist overtones as I've never come across anyone say that or refer to the local newsagents/convenience store as the paki shop.

Not people I run with, just random people on nights out etc. Shame some people don't see it as racist. I get old people saying as it was the times they grew up in ( yes I know it is still racist) no excuse for the younger people tho.

Beefy

This.

What *does* depress me though is how ignorant the working class people who vote for UKIP are of UKIP's anti-working class policies. I just worry that we'll get to a situation like in America with their Republican Party where whole swathes of the population are in the "Turkeys Voting For Christmas" bucket.

I think a lot do it as a protest vote. It says something when people feel voting for a party like UKIP is better then the other two.

You could say that he didn't mean to actively be racist, but he's a UKIP member. :c Oh, why didn't Farage die in the plane crash...?

Kabouter

I think a lot do it as a protest vote. It says something when people feel voting for a party like UKIP is better then the other two.
It definitely says something, but not necessarily about the supposedly identically rotten other parties. People have always and likely will always be sensitive to the demagoguery of parties like UKIP. They are particularly so during periods where the status quo is being challenged. It is very easy to exploit people's prejudices and fears, particularly when the media is eager to feed those sentiments to boost circulation/ratings/views. However, while I understand the reason for this popularity, I can never help but be disappointed when people seem almost eager to go along with it, or at the very least legitimize such vile parties by asserting that they are no different from any established party.

Normally used to refer to a corner shop that is run by Pakistanis. Literally no difference other than who owns/runs it.

considering most british people can't even tell the difference between different ethnicities, this is not true. Especially for people that would actually use this term. Paki shop is referring to a shop with brown people in it.

I've been called paki enough times in school to know. (and i'm not pakistani).

fantomena

I feel like there is an ongoing foreign policy correctness in the West that all countries should be as western countries. This can be stretched put to racism where somebody believe that if someone does not support or have western values they are less worthy than others.

DC R1D3R

Banned
What a wanker.

faraeiohvw.jpg

"how hood is this?"

Ushay

You'd call it a Chinese, you effing nimrod Nigel. Just like saying 'Paki' is considered derogatory. Not because of the word itself, but rather the context it is used in in most situations (noramally Chavs..)

How can theses people be so well educated yet so ignorant?

the thing that upsets me is that the dreary suburban fascists who vote for these wankers love this shit, and they're *really* good at playing the outrage.

I'm just worried what they're going to be like in 25 years time when they've really got a foothold.

MiszMasz

considering most british people can't even tell the difference between different ethnicities, this is not true. Especially for people that would actually use this term. Paki shop is referring to a shop with brown people in it.

I've been called paki enough times in school to know. (and i'm not pakistani).

Some skinheads in Manchester called me a paki and a muzzy when I was walking home once. I'm a white guy from Kent with a beard and black hair.
It really is just a word for the pig-ignorant to refer to anything they decide is different or other. Anyone using 'paki', 'chink' or whatever else is an idiot at best.

Beefy

It definitely says something, but not necessarily about the supposedly identically rotten other parties. People have always and likely will always be sensitive to the demagoguery of parties like UKIP. They are particularly so during periods where the status quo is being challenged. It is very easy to exploit people's prejudices and fears, particularly when the media is eager to feed those sentiments to boost circulation/ratings/views. However, while I understand the reason for this popularity, I can never help but be disappointed when people seem almost eager to go along with it, or at the very least legitimize such vile parties by asserting that they are no different from any established party.

I think it's more people don't know enough about UKIP and see it as sticking two fingers up at the other parties, rather then the voters being racist. As you said the media doesn't help with their fear mongering. It also doesn't help when you have leaders like Cameron and Milibrand.

deadman69

Some skinheads in Manchester called me a paki and a muzzy when I was walking home once. I'm a white guy from Kent with a beard and black hair.
It really is just a word for the pig-ignorant to refer to anything they decide is different or other. Anyone using 'paki', 'chink' or whatever else is an idiot at best.

some guys have chased me down a road shouting "run nigger run" at me. this was in canterbury and im ginger and very pale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom