• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UKIP leader defends racist colleague, claims "Chinky" is an everyday word for Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
What?! Had no idea such a phrase could be so regular back in the day.

Until I was in my early teens, about 20 years ago, both that and 'paki shop' were completely normal for people to say. Seems bizarre thinking back to it. Worth noting that I don't think anyone was saying it with hate in their hearts or anything.

leadbelly

Banned
It makes me sad that these people claim they want what's best for the country I live in but are biggoted racists and the fact there's a lot more people in this country who actually support the shit they spout.

It makes me ashamed to even want to admit I'm British anymore. I just want to distance myself as far away from these people who claim they're proud to be British as possible. I know there's been parties just as bad such as the BNP and National Front before, but these people are actually getting publicity and somehow managed to get voted in as representatives in the EU. I feel sick :/

Hmmm... I don't really view UKIP as being just as bad as the BNP. There are crucial differences between the parties. BNP was a far-right fascist party that restricted its membership to 'indigenous British' and held policies that were discriminatory to minorities.

UKIP on the other hand, is not necessarily an inherently racist party in terms of what it stands for and its core policies, but rather a party with racist members. And even though there is a huge amount of criticism that can be thrown in their direction, at least they have made an attempt to suspend those members who cross the line.

What is clear is that it is the next best thing, especially since the fall of the BNP. It is the party that racists most gravitate to.

Vashetti

Banned
tumblr_ngl3czTMfD1so0sfmo1_1280.jpg

I thought these guys were like a fringe party but I saw some polling and they have now replaced the Liberal party as Britain's 3rd most popular party based on polling?

That's insane.

Honestly, how hard is it to say Chinese food?

Hell, you don't even have to say food in most contexts!

You don't even need the "food". You can just say "Chinese"! Both chinky and Chinese are two syllables, they take about the same time to say in speech.

I thought these guys were like a fringe party but I saw some polling and they have now replaced the Liberal party as Britain's 3rd most popular party based on polling?

That's insane.

Lol, isn't LibDems a joke party at this point? Once they made a coalition with the Tories they signed their death warrant.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Where I grew up, Chinky was used as a reference to one thing, an one thing only, a Chinese takeaway, never a person or anything else.

Saying you were going to the Chinky was normal, and not considered racist, simply because that was all it referred to, shorthand for the takeaway, not for the race, or people that came from the east in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom