• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Sniper sets BO record along with flurry of racial tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/...rd-while-setting-off-flurry-of-racist-tweets/

The film had the biggest opening weekend box office total of the Academy Award-winning Eastwood’s career, surpassing the opening weekend of 2009′s ‘Gran Torino‘ in one day.

The film was expected to do well after being supported by a massive promotional campaign from Warner Bros. studios, coupled with controversy over the portrayal of Kyle, with some critics saying Kyle’s autobiography showed him to be a racist who claimed killing was “fun,” as opposed to the gentle family man portrayed in the film’s trailers.

Criticism of the film and Kyle had led to death threats and online harassment comprised of racist and violent sexual comments against some critics.

With the wide scale release of the film this weekend, some took to Twitter with tweets reflecting the words Kyle used in his book towards people in Iraq and Afghanistan whom he called “savages.”

up6jCY7.png

still want to see the movie but this isnt giving me the motivation to see it

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Adam Baldwin must be jerking off with three hands

also, horror. But expected, America really should avoid making such movies altogether

XenodudeX

I really just feel like finding the tweets and just curse these people the fuck out. I don't even have a damn twitter account, but I'll make one just for this. These people need to be called out on this shit.

Big-E

The Syrian sniper was way more beast then the American dude. The Syrian had zero support. Was he a real dude?

Velcro Fly

I almost died laughing at how dumb the #Deblasio hashtag was in that one tweet

Nothing like a guy who served his country and
was murdered once he got back
to bring out the fucking stupid in people though.

Why are you letting a bunch of shitheads on the Internet change your attitude toward seeing the movie?

ehh..im swaying back and forth, I love CE directed movies and true stories but then I hear some saying the movie and book takes even more liberties than most but then his wife says its true so I want to see it again then this. Eventually I will want to see it

hamchan

I'm happy that this movie could do well since it is pretty good, plus it's in January and all that. Also a bit scared that there's a segment of people that watched this because they're racist and just want to fulfill their fantasies.

devilhawk

I really just feel like finding the tweets and just curse these people the fuck out. I don't even have a damn twitter account, but I'll make one just for this. These people need to be called out on this shit.
You don't have enough hours in the day.

You can find horrible tweets about anything.

Yeah I know the movie isnt racist or anything but I'm not seeing it anymore.

People will always see things out of context. Once an art piece is out there, people are free to interpret it as they want. But don't let that stop you from watching the movie if you are interested.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I almost died laughing at how dumb the #Deblasio hashtag was in that one tweet

Nothing like a guy who served his country and
was murdered once he got back
to bring out the fucking stupid in people though.

is this a spoiler for the film? :\ (haven't really read about the real life dude)

Crud

Banned
People will always see things out of context. Once an art piece is out there, people are free to interpret it as they want. But don't let that stop you from watching the movie if you are interested.

Thanks for that. I just don't want to be around people that think like that if I see it. So maybe down the line when it comes out on DVD.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yeah, not a good reason to not see it.
It's questionable authenticity would be a reasonable reason. But it that does not bother you (and let's face it, based on a true story movies always do this to varying degrees) then go see it.

sfedai0

Banned
I thought this movie was about the bad ass Vietnam sniper who took out a Viet Cong general single highhandedly. Read more about this guy and saw that he completely lied about beating up Jese Ventura and then ended up dying on a shooting range.

Jak140

Chris Kyle was borderline racist, religious extremist, and a frequent liar. Of course the movie tries it's best to skirt around this, but it's hardly surprising that there are racist people on the internet who can read between the lines. Quotes from Kyle's book:

We learn that he “tattooed one of his arms with a red crusader’s cross,” that “he ‘hated the damn savages’” he fired upon, and that he once told an army colonel, “I don’t shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.”
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...h_and_chris_kyle_why_nicholas_schmidle_s.html

He also lied about shooting "looters" during Katrina and being punched in the face by Jessie Ventura for being a SEAL among other things.

Hah, I won't lie. Me and the gf were the only two brown people in the theater when watching this today. I looked around to see if anyone would give us looks after the movie ended. :-D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Has there ever, EVER been a point in your lifetime where you thought that it was dying?

I think his comment is in reference to the recent slate of people saying Racism is over. Those people don't post here though ;p

Isn't this what propaganda was designed for though? It seems to be working.

Certainly a discussion to be had whether this movie crosses that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom