• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Sniper sets BO record along with flurry of racial tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

I was responding to your quote about whether the people who called it propaganda had seen the movie. I have. You did not specify what type of propaganda, thus my response. It is essentially a whitewash of the mans life.

The term isn't usually applied to individuals. Propaganda usually serves to forward ideologies and actions of governments, and in this thread the movie was characterized as being pro war and racist by some posters. I didn't expect there would be a need to describe what kind of propaganda I meant given that context.

Kinyou

The film just seems to be a catalyst for bigoted bullshit that already existed.
That's probably not all that surprising, especially given the recent attacks in France. People seem more eager to hate on Islam than ever. I'd just like to imagine that Clint Eastwood is better than just delivering some kind of propaganda movie. (Though the name 'American Sniper' already makes me a little cringe)

Acorn

That's probably not all that surprising, especially given the recent attacks in France. People seem more eager to hate on Islam than ever. I'd just like to imagine that Clint Eastwood is better than just delivering some kind of propaganda movie. (Though the name 'American Sniper' already makes me a little cringe)
American Sniper was the name of the book iirc.

ItIsOkBro

here are some tweets about the movie i pulled from here because i've yet to see it.

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/556044948915908608
In @AmericanSniper Al Qaeda very suddenly appears in Iraq w/ no explanation of how. The US opened the floodgates. Erasing this is propaganda

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/556889958443528192
The only thing that surprised me about American Sniper was how deftly Eastwood churned a hero out of a failed war predicated on a huge lie.

https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/556922709108871170
Most Iraqis in #AmericanSniper are portrayed as bloodthirsty killers. The film never broaches why they took up arms against the occupier.

is that not propaganda? or is that inaccurate?

most of these war films are thinly veiled propaganda pieces marketed as inspirational tales of heroism. im not disrespecting the mans service in the armed forces, i just dont entirely get what is so compelling about his story to turn it into a major film. these films seem to be a lot like the "us vs them" films of WWII, its all about drumming up nationalism. and it obviously works going by the box offices numbers. i get why these films are such a hit, especially with a certain demographic in this country, but itd be nice if the films were a bit less overt about being U.S Army themed Rambo films. hell, we just had Lone Survivor earlier last year.

DuffDry

here are some tweets about the movie i pulled from here because i've yet to see it.

In @AmericanSniper Al Qaeda very suddenly appears in Iraq w/ no explanation of how. The US opened the floodgates. Erasing this is propaganda

The only thing that surprised me about American Sniper was how deftly Eastwood churned a hero out of a failed war predicated on a huge lie.

Most Iraqis in #AmericanSniper are portrayed as bloodthirsty killers. The film never broaches why they took up arms against the occupier.

The movie is called American Sniper, not War in Iraq. It's not meant to tackle the broad subject, merely depict a single person's experience in the event. A single soldier has no bearing on the motives or justification behind why he's being deployed, he's going there anyway.

People are mad because the film didn't address what it never set out to address in the first place.

EDIT: and before people start twisting where I'm coming from, I'm the most liberalist liberal to ever have ever liberaled.

Crud

Banned

I'm still reading the first link you posted. This is good stuff will finish reading when I get home from work.

Jak140

The term isn't usually applied to individuals. Propaganda usually serves to forward ideologies and actions of governments, and in this thread the movie was characterized as being pro war and racist by some posters. I didn't expect there would be a need to describe what kind of propaganda I meant given that context.

You could say there is a vague anti-war theme because PTSD is touched upon, but the movie is also very pro-US and the false pretenses of the war or the idea that this might not be a war of necessity are never broached.

Watched the movie and enjoyed it. For the record, I never was in support of the U.S. going abroad right after 9/11, Bush Jr. administration, etc. because fuck dat noise.

I found that the movie hints at Kyle developing a disturbing liking to war and his particular job while abroad. I mean, I can see how republican sheep could relate to the Kyle in the movie and likely brought out their true racist colours... But yeah, it focuses more on how a war affects a person and their outlook on life. It's Clint Eastwood doing his magic and Cooper actually acting for once.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

God I HATE those kinda crits

The movie is NOT about the Iraq war

Its follows A SOLDIER's journey back n forth in the war and what his family went thorough.

Why the fuck the movie has to explain all the political maneuvers that got us in the war?

KHarvey16

You could say there is a vague anti-war theme because PTSD is touched upon, but the movie is also very pro-US and the false pretenses of the war or the idea that this might not be a war of necessity are never broached.

Because it isn't, as far as I know, a movie about the justification for the Iraq war.

Woah! Dumbassess being dumbasses on twitter. Does no one think anymore when they are going to post something on a social media network? Like a lot of that stupid shit could follow them later in life.

Whatever, their idiotic racism.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because it isn't, as far as I know, a movie about the justification for the Iraq war.

I haven't seen it yet (probably won't, so someone who has can correct me on it) but isn't it also apparently not really that much about his personal development and how these events change him? I hear that the PTSD stuff is relegated to like the last ten minutes

So I guess the question is...what is it about?

Cipherr

Its follows A SOLDIER's journey back n forth in the war and what his family went thorough.

Why the fuck the movie has to explain all the political maneuvers that got us in the war?

If a movie were to try to explain everything it wouldn't even be a movie anymore, it would probably need to be a miniseries to cover all of that.

I did not like the iraq war at ALL. But being upset that this movie that clearly tries to focus on an individual and their family, doesn't cover every aspect of a freaking WAR in a measly 2 hour film is ridiculous.

DuffDry

I hear that the PTSD stuff is relegated to like the last ten minutes

No, a resounding no. There are scores of moments that indicate PTSD. Practically every single scene where he's at home after his first tour have a pivotal moment that deals with PTSD.

Either people weren't paying attention or were simply refusing to.

most of these war films are thinly veiled propaganda pieces marketed as inspirational tales of heroism. im not disrespecting the mans service in the armed forces, i just dont entirely get what is so compelling about his story to turn it into a major film. these films seem to be a lot like the "us vs them" films of WWII, its all about drumming up nationalism. and it obviously works going by the box offices numbers. i get why these films are such a hit, especially with a certain demographic in this country, but itd be nice if the films were a bit less overt about being U.S Army themed Rambo films. hell, we just had Lone Survivor earlier last year.
Too lazy to do a simple google search on American Sniper or Chris Kyle?

The movie is not even about the war in Iraq, hence it's not an "us vs. them" angle.

Jak140

As I said my issue with the film is that it whitewashes Kyle, but I can see how some would see it as US propaganda. The movie is based on the self-aggrandizing book of a soldier who saw himself as a religious crusader in a war against savages, and as much as it tries to sanitize him, that theme bleeds through. Kyle acts as a metaphorical stand-in for the US and it's presence in Iraq and there is nothing to suggest that the crusade is anything but just. Again that is how it can be interpreted, I can't say if that was the intent.

RELAYER

Banned
Is the movie really feeding into this?

Let's be honest, the premise of the movie is hill billy as fuck.

It's the kind of thing hicks from rural Ohio go to see right before enlisting in the army.
Getting PTSD while serving America in war is like a wet dream.

ItIsOkBro

ehhh isn‘t that a part of their point? even if that‘s all the movie sets out to be, such a selective presentation of a war can be seen as propaganda.

I actually would not be shocked to see an increase in military enrollment following this movie.

And these tweets are a good example of how media influences people and shouldn't be taken so lightly with statements like "it's just a movie"

I haven't seen it yet (probably won't, so someone who has can correct me on it) but isn't it also apparently not really that much about his personal development and how these events change him? I hear that the PTSD stuff is relegated to like the last ten minutes

Maybe I paid too much attention to the character, but it seemed pretty obvious that the PTSD stuff came in waves as the movie progressed and the more he got involved in the wars. Somewhere in the last 30min. they actually point a finger for the audience re: the PTSD.

According to these people, Hertzog's Rescue Dawn must've been a propaganda film as well, because that movie didn't go into lies and deceptions involved in dragging the US into Vietnam.

KHarvey16

As I said my issue with the film is that it whitewashes Kyle, but I can see how some would see it as US propaganda. The movie is based on the self-aggrandizing book of a soldier who saw himself as a religious crusader in a war against savages, and as much as it tries to sanitize him, that theme bleeds through. Kyle acts as a metaphorical stand-in for the US and it's presence in Iraq and there is nothing to suggest that the crusade is anything but just. Again that is how it can be interpreted, I can't say if that was the intent.

That interpretation would seem to be quite a stretch, and not one I've seen made by anyone.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This movie is appalling, but enmity is not how you will bring unto reason those who are entrenched in enmity.

Mrmartel

Banned

and you can back this up? What was he wrapped in St. George's flag as he took targets out?

Why comment if you haven't seen it? Chris Kyle shows signs of PTSD his first time home from war. A good example in the middle of the movie, he is in auto repair shop when another veteran who thinks of him of sort of a legend comes up to talk to him. During the whole conversation you can tell Chris is not comfortable being called a hero, and is noticeably showing signs PTSD with the sounds of someone changing a tire is triggering it. I never seen so many comment on a movie they have never even watched yet. They have no excuse ether. I mean it's award season I'm sure you could pirate is fairly good quality.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Eh, I read/heard the same kind of shit back when Lone Survivor came out. Unfortunately these sorts of movies are going to attract a certain military-worshiping, brown people-hating demographic.

Too lazy to do a simple google search on American Sniper or Chris Kyle?

The movie is not even about the war in Iraq, hence it's not an "us vs. them" angle.

so this film isnt propagating a nationalistic message through the protagonist Chris Kyle? i find it hard to believe this film has little to do with the Iraq War considering the Iraq War is the backdrop of where Chris Kyle performed his duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom