• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Sniper sets BO record along with flurry of racial tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Hah, I won't lie. Me and the gf were the only two brown people in the theater when watching this today. I looked around to see if anyone would give us looks after the movie ended. :-D

You piece of shit. Don't be racist. If the film thought me anything you need to be at least seven years old or under to be a threat!

Edit: or a fictional character!

Kyle was a bloodthirsty, evil, racist psychopath who took pride in killing innocent civilians and wished he could do it more. I fucking hate all these movies that glorify US soldiers.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm pretty sure you'd see those tweets if Generation Kill would've been released at the present time.

I didn't think American Sniper was propagandistic.

Why are you letting a bunch of shitheads on the Internet change your attitude toward seeing the movie?

Kyle was allegedly a racist who allegedly said if he could, he would shoot any Muslim holding a Qur'an.

wouldn't doubt why Spielberg dropped out after finding about his views.

the idea that cooper would still do this movie makes me hate the actor even more.

NYR

Just looked up some of the Twitter profiles in the OP - they are just typical gun toting, pro-army rednecks, not a lot of intelligence going on in those posts.

It's almost like they fit a stereotype to a tee, which is ironic since they are the ones stereotyping.

Gorillaz

Havn't seen it yet but heard that it was pretty much just "propaganda" and they pretty much brushed over how much of a shit head dude really was.

edit: off a few days this week might check it out with all these different perspectives now lol

NYR

Kyle was allegedly a racist who allegedly said if he could, he would shoot any Muslim holding a Qur'an.

Cooper confirmed the studio wouldn't pay his quote. He said this on Howard Stern.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

the idea that cooper would still do this movie makes me hate the actor even more.

So allegedly is a fact?

The Syrian sniper was way more beast then the American dude. The Syrian had zero support. Was he a real dude?

Is the enemy sniper Mustafa based on a real person?

Yes, but he holds far less significance in the book, at least in relation to Chris Kyle. In the movie, Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) engages in a film-long pursuit of an enemy Syrian sniper named Mustafa (Sammy Sheik), whom the American soldiers refer to as "Kaiser F—in' Söze." In Kyle's autobiography, the enemy Iraqi sniper Mustafa is only mentioned in passing in a single paragraph. He is described as "an Olympics marksman who was using his skills against Americans and Iraqi police and soldiers."

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/american-sniper/

Velcro Fly

Shit my bad on the spoiler. I thought it was like a known thing. I put the tag in just in case. Sorry for anyone I spoiled =/

Mrmartel

Banned
I just looked on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie got 90 Million dollars this weekend!!! In January!? Military theme as well? R rated too! I haven't seen it yet, but this is one of the most surprising box office takes I've ever heard of, maybe in History?

Did Clint Eastwood sell his soul to the Devil? I haven't even seen the op on Neogaf. Obviously it doesn't have much interest around these parts. But I do wonder from a smash hit like this, if Hollywood is going to be in the business of making War flicks again.

Reading further, it had a bigger opening than any film in December to February in movie history! Beating the Hobbit's and even Avatar, wtf is going on. This is the movie story of the year!... in January, bizarre

So allegedly is a fact?

The book more or less pins the guy a self-professed bigot.

Given the stuff he'd seen and experienced though, I'd never want to make the choices he had to.
It shines an interesting light on a few extremely complicated situations, namely our role in the middle east, and the domestic issues that plague deployed personnel.

wszXhDP.png

Damn.

molnizzle

I'd like to see any of you whiners go through what this dude went through and not come out of it just a tad bit disillusioned with the religion of Islam and those who practice it.

DuffDry

he wrote in his biography "I couldn't give a flying fuck about the Iraqis."

he also described killing as "fun" and something he "loved".

The problem I have is people are having the wrong conversation about these quotes.

They're wanting to just emphatically decide whether this guy was a monster or not when they should be pondering what pulling four tours in an environment like Iraq with a job like a Navy Seal does to a person's psyche.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I just looked on Rotten Tomatoes. This movie got 90 Million dollars this weekend!!! In January!? Military theme as well? I haven't seen it yet, but this is one of the most surprising box office takes I've ever heard of, maybe in History?

Did Clint Eastwood sell his soul to the Devil? I haven't even seen the op on Neogaf. Obviously it doesn't have much interest around these parts. But I do wonder from a smash hit like this, if Hollywood is going to be in the business of making War flicks again.

whats wrong with making a movie with the subject matter of War?

lets not take these tweets to new heights, just cuz simpletons are screaming dumb shit on the internet doesnt mean thats what the movie is about.

Tagyhag

I'd like to see any of you whiners go through what this dude went through and not come out of it just a tad bit disillusioned with the religion of Islam and those who practice it.

If we hated everyone who practiced a religion in which others have done bad shit in its name, there would be zero love in this world.

KHarvey16

It propagandizes the man into a hero, while ignoring his many fault. The movie isn't overtly racist, but it glorifies one.

If it's inaccurate or doesn't draw a complete picture of the guy, fine, but that doesn't make the film racist or pro-war propaganda. Those were the characterizations I'm talking about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
He was like that before the war too, just without the PTSD.

Ridley327

yeah that was fucking random.

The problem for me with both this and Captain Phillips is that they have been accused of playing around with the truth and giving a dishonest picture of the protagonists.

Wasn't the stuff that Captain Phillips being accused of getting wrong brought up by the crew members that were suing him and Maersk? If I'm not mistaken, the first mate stood by the film's portrayal of the events.

Mrmartel

Banned
whats wrong with making a movie with the subject matter of War?

lets not take these tweets to new heights, just cuz simpletons are screaming dumb shit on the internet doesnt mean thats what the movie is about.

Nothing in my Opinion, I'm just shocked. It's made more in it's first weekend than Zero Dark Thirty, Lone Survivor and Black Hawk Down (basically the last 3 big modern war flicks) did in their firsts.

This could be a new era of realistic Modern day American Hero films. I'll take em over the Super Heroes any day

jackal27

Banned
Dude's racism isn't justified, but he's seen horrors we can only imagine. Dehumanization is probably the only way he makes it through the day. Welcome to war. Horrible, disgusting, insufferable, tragic war.

Jak140

If it's inaccurate or doesn't draw a complete picture of the guy, fine, but that doesn't make the film racist or pro-war propaganda. Those were the characterizations I'm talking about.

I was responding to your quote about whether the people who called it propaganda had seen the movie. I have. You did not specify what type of propaganda, thus my response. It is essentially a whitewash of the man's life.

Dude's racism isn't justified, but he's seen horrors we can only imagine. Dehumanization is probably the only way he makes it through the day. Welcome to war. Horrible, disgusting, insufferable, tragic war.

He also said other gems like lying about shooting "looters" during Katrina.

if the movies inaccuracies are on par with zero dark 30 where some of the moments leaving up to the kill and the kill were later disputed as being not really how it went or in Argo where Canadian involvement was severely downplayed, i still thoroughly enjoyed those movies so if its not worse than that then it will ok by me, at least in the form of action movie value

I think the reason this did so well financially is because it mixes all the stuff people in the south love: guns, other southern-sounding people, the war, racism, and glorification of the war. That's my theory at least. Having lived in the south my entire life and seeing/hearing people react positively to the film in my area kinda fuels my ideology. However, I can't speak for the quality of the movie since I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom