• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The black bars are weird, but largely ignorable.
- There is a complete lack of character reflections, particularly noticeable in the starting building with a large puddle and two mirrors that reflect everything else. STORY SPOILERS:
I would point out that characters display glossy reflections on floor and even the walls, even when the are off camera (something impossible using screen-space raytraced method). Like when he walks between those big brass pipes in the airship. I guess they are not reflecting in the non-glossy mirrors because that requires re-rendering whole scene in the mirror.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I noticed something that is bothering me. Sometimes, more prominent in some places than others, I can see the geometry / textures of where I'm looking at while walking wobbling or shaking. It's annoying me. Has anyone else noticed this?

Azdoune

I have task for GAF,
The free theme you get from the Website, the one called "Mayfair Theme",
I need to find the music track of that because is freaking majestic and I can't find it in the OST!
I've had the PS4 on for about 2 hours just listening to the music while studying.

This free theme is for NA Store only?

DevilFox

I'm hoping for a "The Order has sold through 3 million copies" announcement next week. That will be a fun thread. Is it likely?

I hope so. :)

Same with Amazon reviews that's just how it is sadly.

At least amazon has a "Verified purchase" label and guess what, the 1-stars have very few of them. And just like Metacritic user scores section (that people tell me it's not tha bad......), I'm not surprised at all.

Ellite25

So I played for about an hour and so far I am fucking loving it. The graphics are insane, the presentation and voice acting are top notch, and the gunplay is great as well. Looking forward to sinking into the game more after work tonight. I'm interested to see if the games goes downhill over the rest of the game, because so far my first impressions are very positive.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, it is QTE heavy, but the gameplay that it does have feels very competent and is fun. Add in the stellar production values, great voice acting, an interesting story and likable characters and you have yourself a good experience here. I am enjoying it very much.

i've been playing this game for a couple of hours, and it is fantastic. it feels like a breath of fresh air.

the graphics are just beautiful, true current-gen. the sound is great, the mechanics, the movement. it's not perfect, I've encountered a couple if little quirks, but hadrly noticeable. I can't believe this game reviews so bad, it's easily 8/10 for me, with a likely 9/10.

best part is that i got the Target deal $65 for the game and $20 psn card. i'll play it twice on different difficulty levels, and may trade-in it. everyone with a ps4 should definitely play this game, required.

I have task for GAF,
I need to find the music track of that because is freaking majestic and I can't find it in the OST!
I've had the PS4 on for about 2 hours just listening to the music while studying.

The Edge of Sanity, Track # 15

My copy has been delivered but I'm stuck at work for a little while longer.

Looking forward to spending a cold night getting into it for an hour or so and playing more the rest of the weekend.

I appreciate the level headed responses I've seen here, the game may not be a masterpiece according to some but it doesn't seem to be worth of incredibly low scores either.

I have task for GAF,
the collectors edition comes with a soundtrack

Purest 78

In many threads people have been claiming that RAD lied and misled people. I am not promoting the game but I don't see how?

The summary explanation of the game is:

•Filmic vision – The Order: 1886™ transports players into the stunningly realistic and re-imagined Neo-Victorian London, replicating the nuances of actual motion picture cameras and lenses for a more immersive and believable presentation

• Seamless narrative experience – Full performance capture for characters and scenes, combined with seamless transitions between action and story sequences, work together to bring the rich narrative, rife with conspiracy and intrigue, to life

So....Why are people saying RAD is being dishonest? The game is not broken or missing any portions. I'm confused?

They delivered on everything to me fantastic game.

i've been playing this game for a couple of hours, and it is fantastic. it feels like a breath of fresh air.

the graphics are just beautiful, true current-gen. the sound is great, the mechanics, the movement. it's not perfect, I've encountered a couple if little quirks, but hadrly noticeable. I can't believe this game reviews so bad, it's easily 8/10 for me, with a likely 9/10.

best part is that i got the Target deal $65 for the game and $20 psn card. i'll play it twice on different difficulty levels, and may trade-in it. everyone with a ps4 shouldn't definitely play this game, required.

You gave an impression based on your short time with a game against reviews that have completed it. So why don't you do the same before bringing down your perspective so we can compare?

ckohler

Yes, it is QTE heavy, but the gameplay that it does have feels very competent and is fun. Add in the stellar production values, great voice acting, an interesting story and likable characters and you have yourself a good experience here. I am enjoying it very much.

My thoughts exactly. I've played until chapter 2 so far and I've throughly enjoyed the experience. The gunplay is fun and has "weight", the cinematography is top-notch, and the voice acting and performance capture are excellent. I'm really enjoying the steampunk atmosphere.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I'm kind of at a loss for all the hate out there. Whatever. I'm digging it. :)

BokehKing

Banned
they gave us the game they wanted to make, not the game others wanted, so of course
"game is shit"

Anyway

I have the game, I just refuse to play it until the sun sets, got to set that mood

Seems im opposite of reviews recently.

Driveclub
Destiny
The Order 1886

All really enjoyed/enjoying.

Back on topic. Games easily the best looking on any console to date. Atmosphere is fantastic.

You gave an impression based on your short time with a game against reviews that have completed it. So why don't you do the same before bringing down your perspective so we can compare?

true. so based on my pace, i should have about 8 - 10 left on with the game. i'll repost then.. from what ive played so far, it's an amazing game.

Yeah I thought that too but I am tempted to buy the digital version and trade in the physical copy and see
Before spending any more money, call Sony first because their customer support should have definitive information if that kind of pattern is related to the hardware. I'll be honest - having worked on software and experiencing similar issues in the past on PS3, it does look like some portion of your GPU is unable to render those pixel regions consistently.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Its a shame there's so much non gameplay in this game. The gunplay is easily the best of any Sony franchise.

There's a foundation here for a great sequel. Hopefully they make one.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the only quirks I have seen thus far are things like having to wait for a cutscene to play out instead of just being able to walk into an elevator, etc. Just minor stuff like that, but otherwise there is nothing that I am seeing here that justifies the game getting slammed. That is, unless you just abhor quick time events to the point where you are willing to shit on the rest of the game because there are so many of them. Which is hardly fair, in my view.

Before spending any more money, call Sony first because their customer support should have definitive information if that kind of pattern is related to the hardware. I'll be honest - having worked on software and experiencing similar issues in the past on PS3, it does look like some portion of your GPU is unable to render those pixel regions consistently.

Yeah I know, I have seen GPU failures before I just can't believe it would fail today of all days haha after never having any crazy fails or errors before

Putty

Reviews once again proving just how wrong they are compared to my own ......does that even make sense?! Lol. Anyway, end of Chapter 4... Games fab...atmosphere is just on another level. And technically....well, it's sat above anything else that's ever been....

thebloo

So, I just reached chapter 5. I'm too tired to continue, I'll finish it tomorrow.

Some thoughts:
- It takes a while to get going, but I was never bored. They built a beautiful setting and an intriguing world
- Some of the QTE are silly, others do that "spam X really fast" thing which I dislike. Let me press X fast, don't make me mash it.
- Everything is gorgeous. I stood for 2 minutes to look at a flame and the light it was casting.
- I like the shooting. Takes some getting used to, but it's solid.
- VA is top notch and the dialogues seem natural.
- I had an NPC pop in front of me in the
whorehouse
. It was both amusing and jarring.

Overall, I'm happy I bought it. Doesn't look like a 6/10 game to me at all, then again I'm not surprised. Looking forward to going back tomorrow.

Lucreto

I love the game even if I am only on Chapter 2. I love the round table for some reason. I never even noticed the black bars when I was playing. I had to look at the screenshots to see if they were there.

The gameplay is solid and the transition from gameplay and cut scene catches me off guard.

void666

Banned
Things i didn't like so far: No language option ingame. It uses the system language.
Call me crazy but i like to have the system language set to portuguese (my native language), game interface also in portuguese and voice and subtitles in english. TLOU let me do this.
Dear devs, i don't mind the game using the system language as default. But please, add a language option in the menu. You know, options are always good.

The other thing: Lack of destruction. Mind you, i've only played the first shooting section so it may be different later on. But that section had almost no destruction. Shoot the wall and there's only that tiny bullet decal. Sometimes not even that.

Hey buddy! I was thinking the same thing. I do know some folks have no rental options from there locations but yeah otherwise, might as well just rent it if/when possible. I'm keeping this regardless. :D

Hey buddy! I intend to as well. Did you play it yet? Not sure if you received a copy early for review. I decided to leave it in the car so I won't suffer as much ;P I got a text from Leon right as I was re-entering work asking if I could help him, Paul and some friends with a Destiny Raid but I have plans to play this... I won't be a bad friend for playing this, right? ;p

Nice to see positive impressions in here after people have actually played the damn game. I appreciate cinematic approach so I expect to enjoy this game. Besides, these cut scenes won't be shit compared to what I endured for Xenosaga and MGS games ;P

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I noticed something that is bothering me. Sometimes, more prominent in some places than others, I can see the geometry / textures of where I'm looking at while walking wobbling or shaking. It's annoying me. Has anyone else noticed this?

I guess I'm the only one? :/

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone from the UK order from Very (using that Groupon voucher code)? Just noticed that they have taken £50 from my bank account despite paying for the whole thing with the code. Not amused.

Gaz_RB

Damn you guys. I'm probably gonna buy it tonight.

I was so relieved that I wouldn't have to drop 60 on it because it wasn't that great, but here you guys are saying its actually pretty good...

Top Bottom