• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

d00d3n

Is the game supposed to be out? I pre-ordered (digital) the game, but it is not available on my PS4. I only have to option to buy the game. (EU)

Complaints about the general gunplay in reviews just further confirms my theory that game reviewers are sick of shooting in games, in general.

Cuz this shit is hot, reviewers have no idea what good gunplay means.

I agree. The gun play in it is done very well. I don't see how there can be many gripes with it.

ironcreed

Banned
Often, games are more (or less) than the sum of their parts. Maybe there isn't one thing in particular that's revolutionary or amazing, but do they all work together to form something memorable? To me, that's the biggest thing, and how I will judge The Order once I finally play it this weekend.

How does everything come together as a whole? Is it a fun, satisfying experience? That's what I will be looking for.

I hear you. What is obvious right off the bat is that this is straight up a top shelf production. It has everything that makes a story-driven game click and some solid gameplay when they take the leash off. Lots of quick time events for sure, but again, everything else that is wrapped around them still makes me enjoy playing the game. With that, the only conclusion that I can come to thus far is that I am glad I bought it.

mreddie

I took this out of my Gamefly Q before the GAF reviews came in, dammit. I feel stupid now. Getting LEGO Batman 3 taht's being shipped now.

DAMMIT

Just hit chapter 5 in about 5 hours playtime. Not as many QTEs as I expected. I noticed that some actions that would be typical animations in other games (jumping from one place to another) are sometimes are made to look cinematic, which is really cool.

I've been playing it all afternoon (I think I must be at about 5-6 hours now) and I don't understand why this game got the reviews it got. It has to be one of the most polished AAA titles I've played in YEARS, the gameplay is fun, the graphics are gorgeous... I don't expect it to get 10s due to length and the fact that it's a standard cover shooter but it's current Metascore is a joke. How anyone gave this below a 7 is beyond me.

Fezan

Replaying the game right now. Yeah slow starting is really hurting the replayblity with qte.ON the other hand i am still astonished how good this game looks .

I wonder what Maxpayne 2 would get score in today's environment. this game reminds me of maxpayne 2 a lot dont know why

IzzyF3

It's nice of you to tell him to do that but the only reason it spoiled me is you quoted the original without spoiler tags.

Lol, me too.

Anyways, I think I'm going to pick up my CE from Best Buy. I was thinking of skipping it because of the reviews and buy Kirby instead (which only scored averagely). I think I'll go ahead and pick them both up.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing it all afternoon (I think I must be at about 5-6 hours now) and I don't understand why this game got the reviews it got. It has to be one of the most polished AAA titles I've played in YEARS, the gameplay is fun, the graphics are gorgeous... I don't expect it to get 10s due to length and the fact that it's a standard cover shooter but it's current Metascore is a joke. How anyone gave this below a 7 is beyond me.

My biggest gripe so far is just how often the game takes away control, and just little gameplay there is in the opening few hours. The hospital comes to mind especially. Some encounters literally last seconds, and there's just so much walking around at a glacial pace. Really hurts the game.

Vitor711

Circle brings you into cover, X gets you out (or back on left stick as you said you didn't prefer).

Huh. Is that ever explained in game? Because I'm not someone to miss tutorial stuff like that ever. Weird.

Still, the inability to quickly exit and make a dash for cover in front of you is an annoying omission. It's such a standard feature that the stickiness still remains conspicuous, even with this change.

My biggest gripe so far is just how often the game takes away control, and just little gameplay there is in the opening few hours. The hospital comes to mind especially. Some encounters literally last seconds, and there's just so much walking around at a glacial pace. Really hurts the game.

Really curious how I'm going to feel about this. I've been recently playing through The Wolf Among Us (now heading to episode 4)and it feels like what you just described mostly. Minor input at times, watching dialog scenes play out, hitting lots of buttons, and then moving forward. Granted I think The Wolf Among Us has many other reasons to love it, and hoping The Order is the same.

Huh. Is that ever explained in game? Because I'm not someone to miss tutorial stuff like that ever. Weird.

Still, the inability to quickly exit and make a dash for cover in front of you is an annoying omission. It's such a standard feature that the stickiness still remains conspicuous, even with this change.

You can dash into cover by pressing O.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Really curious how I'm going to feel about this. I've been recently playing through The Wolf Among Us (now heading to episode 4)and it feels like what you just described mostly. Minor input at times, watching dialog scenes play out, hitting lots of buttons, and then moving forward. Granted I think The Wolf Among Us has many other reasons to love it, and hoping The Order is the same.

I'm a big The Wolf Among Us fan but it's just not the kind of gameplay that suits The Order. And whereas the whole "watch and interact" aspect of TWAU is fine as you see the story unfold, in The Order it literally amounts to just slowly walking to the next cutscene with almost nothing going on in between. So often I'm just dying to get the guns out again.

Been playing this for about 3 hours now and I'm really impressed with the game so far. I've got no idea why the reviews are bad. Absolutely no idea. This sucks.

bryanee

This game just gets better and better. Just doing the airship mission and I'm loving it. Some minor issues with the cover system and enemy AI but I'm enjoying myself.

I hope it sells well so RaD can work on a sequel and expand upon this world they have created.

Spy

I honestly cannot see how this game deserves a six. It's a solid 8 in my opinion and consider it just as good as Uncharted 1. Hopefully the sequel can be the jump UC1 was to UC2.

Beefy

I honestly cannot see how this game deserves a six. It's a solid 8 in my opinion and consider it just as good as Uncharted 1. Hopefully the sequel can be the jump UC1 was to UC2.

Atm it is a 6/7 for me but I haven't completed it yet. But then I never give a game a ten and hardly ever give a 9.

I'm a big The Wolf Among Us fan but it's just not the kind of gameplay that suits The Order. And whereas the whole "watch and interact" aspect of TWAU is fine as you see the story unfold, in The Order it literally amounts to just slowly walking to the next cutscene with almost nothing going on in between. So often I'm just dying to get the guns out again.

Yeah. I could see if your just wanting to shoot at stuff, it could pose a problem. I'm going into this for the whole package really. Visuals, audio cues, world building, slower build up, etc. I might very well have the same issues. I'll find out tonight.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hmm, impressions are mostly positive, good. I was holding out after the reviews hit, but reading posts here makes me want to pick it up tomorrow.

Graphics are insane, a lot of reviews are hyperbole for sure I'd give it a solid 8/10, the sequel will no doubt improve the gameplay elements and less qtes if there is one.

I do agree it does that too often early on which might ruin replayability but when it actually lets you play it's awesome.

T.O.P

Banned
Atm is a solid 6 for me, it has some fantastic moments followed right after with "who the hell thought that was a good idea?"

I think everyone who's on the fence should realize that this isn't a typical TPS. If your in it for Gears like constant encounters, its probably not for you. The game is kind of deliberate with its encounters, where they are all the result of story progression and a build up of sorts.

It really is in a lot of ways a mix of a Tell Tale and TPS game. It focuses heavily on story, atmosphere and in general absorbing the levels as you come across them. The gunplay is excellent and I would recommend starting at normal just so you can run and gun and melee the shit out of baddies.

But a Gears clone, this is not.

*Everything I said is based of first five chapters, take that as you will.

Elginer

A little bit further into it and man, I am loving this game. Even the slow parts are just a joy to take in all that atmosphere and art. Just showed my neighbor and he was like HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS AMAZING. Showed him some gameplay and was like, why is this getting crap reviews?

He goes, well guess it wasn't what people were expecting but it looks fun anyway.

LuuKyK

God this game is even prettier than I thought it would be. Simply stunning. Really enjoying my time with it so far.

Edit: Have to stop playing/streaming though. A man gotta eat. :p

Frillen

Been playing this for about 3 hours now and I'm really impressed with the game so far. I've got no idea why the reviews are bad. Absolutely no idea. This sucks.

A combination of these probably:

The biggest complaints:

1) Too short (3-4 hours of pure gameplay). Not only is it short, but it has zero replay value. Like there's nothing after you beat it. Other games in the same genre either have a multiplayer mode, co-op mode, challenge mode, or hell even a new game+ mode. The game couldn't even have a new game+ mode though since there's no unlockables or even an upgrade system.

2) Too bare bones in its gameplay structure. Cut scenes followed by sections of regular shooting/cover sections. Nothing special outside of a few stealth sections, which are more annoying than they do good. Rinse and repeat. No upgrade system when it comes to weapons, nothing.

3) Hand holding gameplay. There are times when you can't even move in a 3D space, because the game wants you to do exactly what they want you to do.

4) The Thermite weapon is cool. Unfortunately you only use it three times during the game.

5) Unskippable cut scenes are annoying if you want to do a second run or you want to collect collectibles. The game doesn't even track what collectibles you've collected.

6) There are chapters in the game where you don't even control the character. This is a video game. Yeah, I know, cinematic experience yada yada... Still.

7) It's super linear. There are times when the enemies can't even flank you because the pathway ahead is too linear.

8) Underwhelming story.

I picked up Wolfenstein in the critics sale and I know that game gets a lot of love here, and decent review scores, but for me so far, gunplay excepted, it is childish and awful: cheap deaths, very average graphics engine, appalling dialogue and a story so un-interesting that after two scenes I was pushing square to skip (not all scenes are skippable, because you are often given locked-in syndrome, in the engine).

Why is an old school shooter like Wolfenstein given such a free pass by reviewers (79 metacritic. If it had the graphics engine of The Order would it get 90?), who knows, there is no justice.

blacklotus

Holy what the Hell! This game is great!
Loving it so far.

With all the talk about being short i'm just savouring everything from the world. Amazing detail. Wow! Congratulations so far RAD!

Top Bottom