• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

skelekey

I am now officially off using critics as a metric for my tastes. In the past (for me any ways) games with a meta below 7 were just crap, but this game is a solid 8.5 to 9 for me. I had pre ordered it on PSN and I'm glad I did. Otherwise with all the swirling negativity I might have waited for a price drop.

I do have a few minor nitpicks.

I understand they're trying to keep me on the right path but they could open it up just a bit more. TLOU style, for instance.

Mirrors don't reflect people, or is it just my game?

steadying aim through my scope only serves to muck it up, unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm much more effective without it.

Fountains could have better falling water but I guess I'll be waiting till next gen.

I don't mind the black bar on the bottom but for some reason the one on the top, bugs me a bit. I'm playing on 24 inches mind.

Button Icons, I don't feel like they need to be all over the place. Doors are triangle, I get it. Theres a lot of doors that can't be opened but I think I'd figure it out, the option to turn these off as well as the hints when you pick something up, would be welcome.

There's plenty that I like here. The npc's while not as detailed as our heroes are not too shabby looking. Coming into this I thought The thermite gun would suck but I found it satifying and in most cases more useful than other guns.

Actual newspapers and flyers are sooo much better than Dragon Ages walls of text. I read whole articles here and it doesn't seem to be getting old. With DA;I I've begun skipping these almost entirely and saying to myself, I'll read it later.

The game looks amazing especially the materials. I want many more games that look this good.

Edit: I think i've found 2 Typos in the papers so far.

antitrop

I came here to say the same thing.

Though a different reviewer, IGN also said that Wolfenstein had mediocre gunplay, so it's hardly surprising. I suppose their ideal standard of gunplay is just Call of Duty. Good gunplay, to them, means not having to think too much about it.

Vitor711

You can dash into cover by pressing O.

I know that. I mean that the exiting cover by pressing X thing wasn't explained well.

And yes, you can dash in, but you still have to do that awkward exit cover, shuffle around it and then press dash. There's no instant and fluid movement between the two.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so here's the gameplay. It's from late into the game, but it has no story cutscenes or dialogue, but still, if you want to get into the game with knowing nothing, DON'T WATCH IT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSFS91-nNI

Though a different reviewer, IGN also said that Wolfenstein had mediocre gunplay, so it's hardly surprising.

What? It's one of the best shooters from last year.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So good looking games that lack in gameplay?
DriveClub is a fantastic racer regardless of graphics, Killzone is just ok.
But DC? Have you played it, I'm guessing you haven't played it? Because you wouldn't have said that or are you one of those are lurking in The Orders Review Thread quoting people who have played it and stating your opinion as gospel when you haven't even played the game to earn the right to a valid opinion?

lemmykoopa

DriveClub is a fantastic racer regardless of graphics, Killzone is just ok.
But DC? Have you played it, I'm guessing you haven't played it? Because you wouldn't have said that or are you one of those are lurking in The Orders Review Thread quoting people who have played it and stating your opinion as gospel when you haven't even played the game to earn the right to a valid opinion?

My man.

I really want to watch your video Juan, but I have made it this far without any spoilers and am just a few hours away now. I can't wait to finally play it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to watch your video Juan, but I have made it this far without any spoilers and am just a few hours away now. I can't wait to finally play it.

Thanks! You can resist! I pretty much uploaded the video for those who have doubts about the game, but I'm seeing many of you guys liked it like I did.

SSReborn

On chapter 5(?). Gunplay is quite good. Baffles me why there isn't some sort of Horde mode. Hell, I'd pay for one.
Seriously even that in co-op would have worked hopefully they do Killzone co-op type thing or Infamous arena mode dlc thing.

Anyway when can we have the order hypothetical sequel thread?

antitrop

Hard to say yet. It's clear the game has flaws, most people in here have pointed them out. But I've seen hardly anyone say they actually disliked the game or thought it was bad, most people seem to be landing on the side of good to great.
I'm at least willing to say that the potential for a franchise is huge. Any sort of comparisons to Uncharted 1 seem reasonable.

When we're talking about The Order 3 on FutureGAF, sure, everyone will say that The Order 1886 was trash, but it's good for now.

Anyway when can we have the order hypothetical sequel thread?

Lets see if it sells enough to warrant one.

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.

I wonder how this thing will sell with the mediocre review scores and reviewers lining up to vituperate this thing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at least willing to say that the potential for a franchise is huge. Any sort of comparisons to Uncharted 1 seem reasonable.

When we're talking about The Order 3 on FutureGAF, sure, everyone will say that The Order 1886 was trash, but it's good for now.

I hope that FutureGAF happens.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm at least willing to say that the potential for a franchise is huge.

The gameplay feels so solid that it truly is baffling that they decided to go with the QTE overload. I mean, they have the gameplay and should have just rolled with it all the way. That and maybe open the levels up a bit and there you go.

antitrop

People are always too concerned about contradicting reviews in an OT when the game reviews poorly.

I also like to contradict reviews when a game reviews well and I don't agree. Is measuring your own opinion up against popular critics really such an uncommon or unreasonable thing to do?

Skux

Note to EU store players - the Airship dynamic theme is free on the store.

The Whitechapel theme and "The Order 1886" theme are a few dollars.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im almost 8 hours into the game, and everything I played was totally OK. I liked the gunplay, characters, story, pacing is sometimes iffy but nothing horrendous, and I'm entering into the final buildup toward the end.

I really cannot see how someone can give this game 2-6/10. Its well made, it's interesting and gameplay is solid. But OK, lets wait and see what last few chapters will showcase. I will finish the game tomorrow.

Yeah I really like the Uncharted 1 comparison. I loved it at the time, but I've gone back and replayed it a couple times and each time it just feels more and more thoroughly average.

The combat encounters and design are really uninspired, the platforming was as uninteresting as ever, and the shooting and melee weren't great either. It's still redeemed by a fun story and solid acting, however.

The Order 2 could absolutely be that Among Thieves level of jump in quality.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Order 2 could absolutely be that Among Thieves level of jump in quality.

If it did, the next game would be freaking amazing. They have a great setup for a sequel. Here's hoping they don't fuck it up. And that they have the chance to do it.

Chapter 7 or 8 spoiler I forgot which one exactly, the first shooty chapter after chapter 5 -
the guy is so angry and won't listen to reason 'cause he just wants revenge trope
, possibly one of my least favourite story cliches.

antitrop

The game looooves showing off the light reflections on Percival's neckpiece lol

One of the most impressive things about the graphics, that I've noticed, are the light reflections on eyes. It goes such a long way in fighting against the dead-eyed, uncanny valley look characteristic of video game models.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
One of the most impressive things about the graphics, that I've noticed, are the light reflections on eyes. It goes such a long way in fighting against the dead-eyed, uncanny valley look characteristic of video game models.

I remember back when the game was just revealed how people called on the dead eyes.

It was definitely improved, much of the great "acting" in the game comes at how the characters stare at someone. It's pretty good. I wonder if it was hand made like Naughty Dog's animations.

Chapter 7 or 8 spoiler I forgot which one exactly, the first shooty chapter after chapter 5 -
the guy is so angry and won't listen to reason 'cause he just wants revenge trope
, possibly one of my least favourite story cliches.

Though to be fair, if it had been the true trope, he would've killed the rebel leader as soon as he saw her. But you're right.

If it did, the next game would be freaking amazing. They have a great setup for a sequel. Here's hoping they don't fuck it up. And that they have the chance to do it.

Dude, I think people are really engaging in some serious "wishful thinking" if they are expecting an "Uncharted 2" level rise in quality.

ND had a far better history as a developer before that game came out.

NateDrake

Im almost 8 hours into the game, and everything I played was totally OK. I liked the gunplay, characters, story, pacing is sometimes iffy but nothing horrendous, and I'm entering into the final buildup toward the end.

I really cannot see how someone can give this game 2-6/10. Its well made, it's interesting and gameplay is solid. But OK, lets wait and see what last few chapters will showcase. I will finish the game tomorrow.

If everything is "totally ok" then why is a 6/10 score a poor grade? Again, if 5/10 is average and the game is considered average by people, how is a 6/10 an inaccurate rating for such a thing?

LogicStep

So, I've played about two hours and some change of The Order and so far it's very much a mix of Heavy Rain or any of the TellTale games mixed with some brutal action like Gears of War. It's an odd combination that I sure as hell would never have thought of putting together but Ready At Dawn did.

It's also and no bullshit here the PRETTIEST FUCKING GAME EVER. This damn game is polished to a level that is just embarrassing for other studios.

The Telltale parts are just like any adventure game, you can actually mess up. I like to see what happens if you do actually. Some of the deaths and other things can be nasty. These are just my first impressions. Not good or bad just letting you know why perhaps this is very much NOT the game that many were expecting. The best way to describe it is - An interactive movie with third person shooting gaming elements, wrapped in the most stunning visuals this console can create. It wasn't really advertised as that very well. I think people were expecting a Gears of War clone and that sure isn't The Order. This is perhaps so many folks have been turned off or not sure what to make of it.

I just started and this is my impression as well and I'm loving it.

Dude, I think people are really engaging in some serious "wishful thinking" if they are expecting an "Uncharted 2" level rise in quality.

I actually think they can do it. As long as we stop expecting Uncharted 2. But just a really improved The Order.

anothertech

Want to chime in on this game.

Best looking game of the generation so far. I'm pretty nit picky about my graphics in games, and this hasnt ceased to blow me away.

Game also happens to be my favorite genre. Story driven third person action adventure shooter experience. Great ambiance with a cinematic feel. Gives a little nostalgia from the early PS3 heavenly Sword Vibe, So maybe a little old school bias on my part. But honest to God been waiting for Someone to finally make a decent one of these.

Gameplay is stellar. Gun play is quite fun and satisfying. Couldn't agree less with many of the official reviews about that.

No the game is not cod in third person, and thank the gaming Gods for that.

In my humble opinion, this game is a 'must experience' for anyone that enjoys story driven beauty. Cause they nailed it on that front, absolutely.

Mista

Banned
Mixed feelings about the game. I mean its visually, technically a monster but as a game?
I dont really know. The gameplay isn't much and the cut-scenes + QTE's is way more than actual gameplay. Anyways, I am enjoying this.

antitrop

If everything is "totally ok" then why is a 6/10 score a poor grade? Again, if 5/10 is average and the game is considered average by people, how is a 6/10 an inaccurate rating for such a thing?
The media doesn't agree and operate on a benchline average, it varies by the outlet giving the score. The easiest way to keep track of that would be Metacritic.

5/10 isn't average. More like 7/10, for sites like IGN. http://www.metacritic.com/publication/ign?filter=games

Compared to other video game review scores, The Order recieved generally below average reviews.

Melchiah

Four hours behind, and I'm currently in chapter 4. Looks like I'll be ending up with more hours than some streamers and reviewers, just like I suspected.

The game has been pretty enjoyable so far, and I love the atmosphere and the mystery. I can't say I really like the little things that break the flow that much though (the Tesla device, lock drilling, morse coding...), and the slow intro with its QTE sequence wasn't the best way to start the game either. Took me three tries to get past it.

Oddly enough, there are no character reflections on mirrors and windows whatsoever. They do render teeth and gums though.

ibulY93rj9ToGw.jpg

The way the character runs in a battle mode is pretty hilarious. It kinda reminds me of Dead Island's amazing third person animation.

Conduit

Banned
I'm on Chapter 2. Playing around hour and a half. Hard difficulty.

What a great game! Lycan transition in real-time is awesome!

I actually think they can do it. As long as we stop expecting Uncharted 2. But just a really improved The Order.

OK yes, THEY CAN do that.

However, that isn't what we was saying ..... or ...... at least ....... what it sounded like.

He made it sound like the next game could be "like Uncharted 2".

An improved sequel could definitely happen. Look at Killzone 2 after Killzone 1.. The improvement there was friggin huge and Guerilla games didn't have the pedigree that RAD has, let alone ND.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

To be quite frank, I'm sure people also thought that Naughty Dog wouldn't be able to do an Uncharted 2.

Even with their track record, even then, people could cite Jak 2, saying that it was an average game at best or something.

Considering this is their first console output, I'm willing to cut them some slack

Sorry, but that is a weak argument. If someone gives you a huge budget and ample time to make a solid console title, YOU DELIVER!

Otherwise, don't step up to the plate in the first place.

antitrop

Considering this is their first console output, I'm willing to cut them some slack

Pretty much. To have gone from PSP God of War games to a third-person shooter that handles as well as this, is quite a remarkable and praiseworthy achievement.

I mean, basically the game just needs to be twice as long as it is and everything would be fine.

FafaFooey

Great, a classic "almost every single media outlet thinks this game is a dud, but I'm going to defend my 60 dollar pre-order because THEY'RE WRONG MAAAAANNNNNNN!" thread. Love it. Don't worry, everyone's done it at least once. Whenever I'm feeling down I reread the Knack thread for the same hilarious posts. It's a thing of beauty.

Top Bottom