• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 4, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
So you guys think Negan will be introduced this half-season? Do you think they have the wild berries to slaughter Glenn comic book style?

Depends how far they jump into it. The next arc in the comics was as long as the prison arc and AMC dragged that on for a long time. Negan wouldn't show up until after some time. Unless they decide to skip or seriously shorten them arriving to the new city.

Depending how long they take to progress I could see Negan not showing up until Season 6. Or at least the second half of Season 5

A reminder to everyone - please review the spoiler rules and adhere to them. Thank you.
iox2uOZ0fMdxV.png

Standard rules apply: after the 9PM ET/6PM PT airing of a new episode, the details of that episode may be discussed openly without the use of spoiler tags. Please remember to spoiler tag any preview and/or promo discussion for episodes that have not aired.

Leaks: The posting and/or discussing of leaked material is strictly prohibited in this thread. All discussion regarding unofficially distributed media belongs in The Walking Dead Spoiler Discussion Thread.

Graphic Novel: All comic-related discussion must be enclosed in spoiler tags. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please tag and label your posts, e.g. (Graphic Novel/Comic Spoilers)
[Insert graphic novel spoilers here]
. All discussion pertaining exclusively to the graphic novel belongs in The Walking Dead Comics Thread.​

So this entire episode went chronologically backwards? The plaid-shirt zombie that attacked Beth was the same man who was bitten near Tyreese. The dead bunnies in the log that Daryl walked by were killed by Lizzie.

WARNING

page 13 and 14 (100ppp) have comic spoilers - post 1264 has a large image which was quoted multiple times
The image isn't a spoiler at all - just a comparison between the two mediums. I've gone back and cleaned up a few posts on the last couple pages. In the future, if there's anything specific spoiler wise, please send me a PM about it and I'll take a look. In the meantime, I'd like to keep this thread focused on discussing the television show.

SamuraiX-

The image isn't a spoiler at all - just a comparison between the two mediums. I've gone back and cleaned up a few posts on the last couple pages. In the future, if there's anything specific spoiler wise, please send me a PM about it and I'll take a look. In the meantime, I'd like to keep this thread focused on discussing the television show.

Much appreciated, CB.

I was considering PM'ing you but I didn't want it to seem like backseat modding.

Huh. I didn't notice that.

Here are the locations of the bunnies:
YXLGRCz.png

A closeup
jw4tHEP.png

Here is daryl passing that same location later:
PGVdwBk.png

Here is the guy that Tyreese saw:
hJ5Nf1r.png

And the zombie that attacked Beth:
eM8kgDM.png

Here are the 2 zombies that attacked Lizzie and Mica:
ZnNhIhm.png

And here are the 2 dead zombies that Daryl crosses:
3JTPgNC.jpg

Here is the railroad tracks with survivors versus zombies:
I4zXcWE.png

Here is the railroad tracks with corpses and zombies:
dKhoKa9.png

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So far since the break show has been 0/2. The series' acting was never its strong point but holy shit has it been something awful in these 2 episodes. Carl verbally lashing out at an 'almost dead' Rick was the worst acting I've seen in quite awhile. It had everything you don't do as an actor. The awkward pauses between lines and the abrupt interruptions as he delivered them was so bad, that I wonder if that was the best take for that scene then I don't want to imagine the shit ones.

Also what's with the pyscho little girl and her putting her hand in Judith's mouth (I know why she did it, but the scene made it clear that she wanted to asphyxiate Judith or something), why do they think that is going to be an interesting plotline?

And I feel that after all the shit they've been through these characters continue to make dumbshit decisions, I don't get it. The writers make the characters get into shitty situations because of their dumb as fuck decisions being the primary reason and not because the world they inhabit has gotten extremely dangerous, I could think of a bunch of times they could've avoided these situations if they would've been smart about it.

MutFox

Banned
YXLGRCz.png

A closeup
jw4tHEP.png

PGVdwBk.png

hJ5Nf1r.png

eM8kgDM.png

ZnNhIhm.png

3JTPgNC.jpg

I4zXcWE.png

dKhoKa9.png

Good eye... :p

CorvoSol

So this entire episode went chronologically backwards? The plaid-shirt zombie that attacked Beth was the same man who was bitten near Tyreese. The dead bunnies in the log that Daryl walked by were killed by Lizzie.

I think so, but I'm not entirely sure because wasn't that car that Glenn collapsed by the same as the one by the bus? So did Glenn and what'sherface get picked up by Guile's Theme before Maggie comes and clears the bus, or after?

SamuraiX-

There are also some smaller things like the berries the girls dropped and smashed on the ground which Beth and Daryl came across.

I also noticed the traces of blood that Daryl found on the bush leaves was most likely from Tyreese.

I think so, but I'm not entirely sure because wasn't that car that Glenn collapsed by the same as the one by the bus?

I think the key there was the "Hitchhikers may be escaped inmates" sign, which Maggie, Bob and Sasha passed on their way to finding the bus. I don't think it really hinted at whether Glenn or Maggie passed by there first though.

So did Glenn and what'sherface get picked up by Guile's Theme before Maggie comes and clears the bus, or after?

I LOL'd

Can't unsee.

I really wish that they'd stop with the lazy-assed writing that they pass off as a cheap substitute for suspense. I recognize that a certain level of disbelief is to be expected in a show about the dead returning to life but there is no way that any creature, living or dead, is going to shamble its way through the woods and not make enough noise to be heard by anything within a hundred feet.

Even if they could, why are the survivors so fucking oblivious anyways? Anyone who has survived up to this point would know to keep their head on a swivel, figuratively speaking.

I can understand poor acting from child actors but I cannot understand why the writing of this show is so poor.

SamuraiX-

When crazy girl tossed the dirty diaper to the side of the track, I wondered how Daryl would miss that though.

I thought about that too. Of course it was on purpose since the producers didn't want the audience to suspect anything until we met up with Tyreese and it was revealed that Judith is alive.

royalan

I really wish that they'd stop with the lazy-assed writing that they pass off as a cheap substitute for suspense. I recognize that a certain level of disbelief is to be expected in a show about the dead returning to life but there is no way that any creature, living or dead, is going to shamble its way through the woods and not make enough noise to be heard by anything within a hundred feet.

Even if they could, why are the survivors so fucking oblivious anyways? Anyone who has survived up to this point would know to keep their head on a swivel, figuratively speaking.

I can understand poor acting from child actors but I cannot understand why the writing of this show is so poor.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the show, but the bolded is what's really bothering me now.

At this point in the story, nobody's new to the zombie apocalypse. So the writers need to stop hinging the suspense on characters behaving in stupid ways. There's no more excuse for it. All this running off alone, leaving children by themselves, not staying properly armed, and being snuck up on by loud-ass zombies in otherwise quiet woods needs to stop. It feels cheap at this point.

Also, they need to nail down zombie power levels. It made no sense for Glen to be able to physically bum-rush his way through through an entire horde of zombies, but then in the very next scene not be able to take out ONE without considerable effort.

Trigger

A closeup

This kinda makes the episode retroactively better for me. This all flew right over my head.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I thought about that too. Of course it was on purpose since the producers didn't want the audience to suspect anything until we met up with Tyreese and it was revealed that Judith is alive.

Yeah, I figured that was necessary. Still, it felt odd given how good a tracker Daryl is supposed to be.

Also, they need to nail down zombie power levels. It made no sense for Glen to be able to physically bum-rush his way through through an entire horde of zombies, but then in the very next scene not be able to take out ONE without considerable effort.

The last couple of episodes I have had less of a problem with inconsistent power levels, and more with the inconsistency of zombies detecting humans. Michonne walking through the scattered horde at the start of last weeks ep barely being noticed and Glen and girl in cage not being completely surrounded instantly by clawing zombies seem at odds with how "perceptive" and persistent zombies usually are.

Also, since when are zombies attracted by burning cars over humans? I literally said out loud "That's not a thing". Have they shown this trick before and I forgot about it?

ac1d

Neo Member
Everyone referring to Tara as 'the lesbian girl' just needs to stop, it's very disrespectful. Just stick to Ellen.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(comic)
Im hoping we get a story similar to the one where (I forget who told it) they tell the story about how Daddy was hungry and had to eat my eyes.
If i remember it right that happened in the same arc when
Billy killed Ben

That was (comic)
from a story that the dude who was the original leader of the Alexandria group told Rick. The guy who ate his son's eyes wasn't a zombie - he was on drugs (probably bath salts) and it was before the zombie outbreak iirc.

This show is just the absolute worst.

What parts of the show do you enjoy? Surely you don't stick with a show that you hate week after week, year after year?

Can't wait to see what kind of character Dudebro is gonna be.

He's not a dudebro. :mad:

Also what's with the pyscho little girl and her putting her hand in Judith's mouth (I know why she did it, but the scene made it clear that she wanted to asphyxiate Judith or something), why do they think that is going to be an interesting plotline?

Examining the effects of growing up in the zombie apocalypse is one of the core themes of the franchise though. I think that it's inherently interesting, even when the acting from the little girls is spotty. I really can't wait to see how those two characters develop over time - they're living in a world where seeing death and horror every day is par for the course, so of course they're going to grow up to be fucked up individuals.

Heck, even with a strong parental influence you're still going to be pretty messed up when all is said and done.

Also, since when are zombies attracted by burning cars over humans? I literally said out loud "That's not a thing". Have they shown this trick before and I forgot about it?

I think so? I seem to remember them saying something about fire attracting zombies? Maybe? I do know that it's a thing in The Walking Dead video game (TWD Game S1 E1)
when you have to turn the TV's on across the street from the drugstore to attract the zombies away from the body that has the key on it.
and I think there's something about that in the comics too. Something about the heat the fire generates or something. I could just be making it up but I seem to remember something like that being established.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the molotov was originally intended to be used on the zombies but for whatever reason (maybe time or budget ) they changed it at the last minute. It didn't make much sense.

There are also some smaller things like the berries the girls dropped and smashed on the ground which Beth and Daryl came across.

yup, yup:

Here's Mika trampling grapes:
kXN33Ft.jpg

And Daryl spotting them:
XkDFxhz.png

Around the same place, in pursuit of Mika, we see Tyreese's wound:
oWT7Lqq.jpg

And around the same tracking location Daryl says:
HZJknZn.png

Maddocks

I noticed the heads first time watching it. Maybe it was my tv, but they really popped on my screen.

Good episode. I was real surprised by glen being at the prison. Then getting all day z armored up. Really cant wait to see all the characters together again.

thenexus6

These last two episodes weren't great, saw preview for next which looks better. I am glad we've caught up with most of the characters now was dreading an episode per group showing us that they got upto after the fall of the prison

I have to wonder if a major part of this episode was discovering whether Glen made it out of the prison/off the bus why they chose to spoil it in the preview last week. It completely ruined all of the scenes with Maggie because we already knew he was still alive. Such a dumb decision.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have to wonder if a major part of this episode was discovering whether Glen made it out of the prison/off the bus why they chose to spoil it in the preview last week. It completely ruined all of the scenes with Maggie because we already knew he was still alive. Such a dumb decision.

That's pretty much par for the course when it comes to previews though. If things like that bother you, maybe you should stop watching them? ;)

Jack_AG

Banned
So it happened. I'm at the point where I DVR the show and watch it when I feel like it. Man. I agree with a lot of you, lots of bad creative decisions being made.

Also, totally trying to kill the baby. No question. That little runt has been murdering little things since we first saw her. Its her modus operandi.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So it happened. I'm at the point where I DVR the show and watch it when I feel like it. Man. I agree with a lot of you, lots of bad creative decisions being made

What are some of these bad creative decisions that you dislike? What would you do differently?

someday

Banned
I would not have been at all upset if the girl killed the baby. I can't think of a worse fate than having a crying child in the woods during the zombie apocalypse, especially one that's not even your own. Of course, that would have been more than the TV audience could handle and I was REALLY surprised that they might go there. Then I was just disappointed that she was still around.

WARNING

page 13 and 14 (100ppp) have comic spoilers - post 1264 has a large image which was quoted multiple times

The cover of an issue is a spoiler? Are you insane?

Spoiler: three characters on the show look like three characters on a comic book cover. They stand there and look towards the viewer. Show ruined.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Also, totally trying to kill the baby. No question. That little runt has been murdering little things since we first saw her. Its her modus operandi.

She seems to have a "do what it takes to survive" approach on top of her sadistic streak. But I don't think she was explicitly trying to kill the baby so much as stopping her from crying and being totally okay with killing the baby as a possible consequence.

Sadist

Haha, people missed the bunny thing? It was really obvious when the camera angle turned on Beth and Daryl. I saw some fluffy bloody things and I kinda assumed that someone did that, most likely the two girls and put those there. And welp, there's Tyreese with the girls. Carol appearing out of nowhere is awesome and weird at the same time. Maggie's part felt extremely flat to me and easily the worst about this episode. Seeing Glenn in full riot gear is a great treat for comic readers. End of the episode is great.

Some observations for this episode as someone who likes the comic;

!!! COMIC SPOILERS WATCH OUT !!!

Really you shouldn't read

- First up, Judith surviving in a prime time tv show is understandable, but I believe the bloody babychair was a great way to write the character out of the show. No dark stuff, no images; it would have been fine.

- And I can asure you guys, Judith won't be killed. Mika and Psycho girl will receive the Ben and Billy role. Seeing her pretty mean comment towards Mika, I'm suspecting she'll be the one who gets killed by psycho girl. Mika will probably annoy her about something and she'll be gutted. Carl will Old Yeller her. Or they could kill off Judith and Mika will play the role of substitute Sophia.

- Carol and Tyreese, together at last! :p

- Holy crap Bram, Eugene and Rosita have the comicbook look nailed! Judging by the promo, the guy playing Bram seems like a great fit.

big_z

Why did Beth start crying when she saw the kids shoe? They lingered on the shoe a bit.
The shoe looked the same as the ones non-crazy girl is wearing but she doesn't get eaten and there didn't seem to be any kids with the train track group.

Why did Beth start crying when she saw the kids shoe? They lingered on the shoe a bit.
The shoe looked the same as the ones non-crazy girl is wearing but she doesn't get eaten and there didn't seem to be any kids with the train track group.

I'd say that she was pushing all her sadness over seeing her dad beheaded and friends scattered/maybe killed aside with her idea that "we'll find them, let's get going".

Kind of a way to keep yourself from thinking about something by being obsessed with a task.

Then that moment she follows a trail that leads to nothing but a big pile of disgusting half eaten flesh, she's got nothing left but her sadness.

Avinexus

I'd say that she was pushing all her sadness over seeing her dad beheaded and friends scattered/maybe killed aside with her idea that "we'll find them, let's get going".

Kind of a way to keep yourself from thinking about something by being obsessed with a task.

Then that moment she follows a trail that leads to nothing but a big pile of disgusting half eaten flesh, she's got nothing left but her sadness.

I thought it was her finally showing her bottled up emotions. She has been stoned-faced during death and stuff during the entire first half of the season.

SamuraiX-

Why did Beth start crying when she saw the kids shoe? They lingered on the shoe a bit. The shoe looked the same as the ones non-crazy girl is wearing but she doesn't get eaten and there didn't seem to be any kids with the train track group.

I'm still confused about the shoe. It did look like Mika's but then she never got close to the walkers where Tyreese was fighting until Carol brought her and Lizzie there so I don't get it...

I thought it was her finally showing her bottled up emotions. She has been stoned-faced during death and stuff during the entire first half of the season.

Very good point. Just remembered back in the premiere episode she told Daryl that she doesn't cry about death anymore. Kirkman and Gimple were right, there are definitely a lot of nice little touches in this back half that relate to events that transpired in the first half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom