• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We’ve been building to Negan’s arrival for months now..

I almost feel like the Negan thing has almost already blew it's load for the lack of a better term. In relation to comic spoilers
the Lucille scene, I think everyone I know that watches the show (which are non comic readers) know that a) knows it is coming and b) know in the comic it was Glen who got it.
. It is like everyone purposely spoiled themselves to relive their anxiety about the show.

That said the Negan story doesn't have to psychotic. They have purposely shown at times that Negan's group is a mirror image of our so called heroes. I think we will find a more well rounded group of people in the Saviors.
I stopped reading the comic right around the time they FIRST entered Alexandria in the book so I had ZERO idea about The Wolves or Negan..

I think I read a little after that, but it sounds like we stopped around the same place. I was just burnt out (this was before the show even started). I have been tempted to pick it up from there, but I read the current comic spoilers like twice a year to keep up.

It's still not clear to me how Carol went from cold blooded killer to a crying baby who can't stand killing in like two episodes

it was in recent history that alexandria was attacked and carol was killing invaders like a boss left and right without batting an eye. she was the one who threatened a 9 year old without batting an eye. why this? why now?

Walking Dead's weakness has always been it's writing (they love having their characters do stupid things in service of the plot), and the Carol transformation is a perfect example of how weak it really is.

Never. This narrative pattern is probably the single most consistent mechanism used to create drama in the show. The writing staff has consistently demonstrated that they're incapable of creating natural drama without relying on this trope. They have someone do something disarmingly stupid (With in-universe context, not viewer context) that they should know not to do and then disaster ensues.

This guy get it.

Edit: I am a little confused about the Wolves. Are they a different group than the Saviors?

Terrible fucking episode. Did the writers decide to sit back, relax and eat a sandwich while writing these last few episodes? Characters keep doing explicitly weird things, there's absolutely no explanation or development as to their motivations and so much more horseshit that I had to sit through. Shit cliffhanger too.

Also, whattttt was up with the shooting part with Carol??! Was she hiding a goddamn machine gun in that sleeve? So unreal and stupid.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan better fuck someone up real good next week.

The show is different from the comics but they've got to bring it back in line with it anyway, so the characters do dumb stuff to make it happen.

Diablos

Okay so the last scene... Who gets shot? And is that Daryl who says "you'll be alright"? It's so cheap. Show is starting to get on my nerves.

Diablos

Daryl gets shot and Dwight is the guy who says "you'll be alright"
Yeah after watching it again it seems pretty clear. But they kind of muffle his voice. Looks like Daryl gets shot in the shoulder?

Also I watched the preview for next week and it definitely appears as though
Negan takes the bat to someone just like in the comic. But the person is so blurred by the camera/post processing it's hard to make out who it is, but going by a very unclear face and body shape the best candidate would have to be Glenn.

jwk94

Would, uh, Maggie's baby..turn?

You, I'm thinking that slash earlier killed the baby and it turned in her stomach. Without anyone there to perform a C-Section (how would you even handle this anyway?) I think she'll be a last surprise death of the season.

More loudly arguing in the woods while we know there are people around that want us death.

How about you rush home instead of having your deep conversations in the middle of nowhere. Getting a bit tiring.

Sadist

Okay-ish episode.

- Carol slays. Seriously, she's a living tank at this point.
- Everybody splitting up is dumb as fuck. Rick mentions they're preparing for war and seven people leave. Come on folks.
- Did however like Rick and Morgan's goodbye to each other. "You know, Michonne did steal that proteinbar". "Oh I know"
- Daryl, son, please. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?
- Dwight slowly turning into a real threat. Dwight vs. Daryl will be a great rivalry next season.

Next week will be good.

COMIC SPOILERS + SPECULATION FOR FINALE

- Seeing the promo, Negan finally appearing... yes please.
- I don't believe Maggie's baby is in danger. I'd say its a plotpoint for Maggie to move to the Hilltop, to keep an eye on Gregory next season.
- As for Lucille... with the finale finally coming, I'm starting to doubt who gets her touch. Sure, with all the fakeouts Glenn should be the one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kill someone else. I'm still 50% on Glenn. But it wouldn't surprise me if they captured Carol and kill her. Or maybe Daryl... maybe. Fun times next week.

taybul

You, I'm thinking that slash earlier killed the baby and it turned in her stomach. Without anyone there to perform a C-Section (how would you even handle this anyway?) I think she'll be a last surprise death of the season.

I think that shower scene highlighted that she was pretty beat up too. Did she get that from when they were taken by the Saviors?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I still think the girl next to Daryl gets shot and Dwight grabs Daryl, covered in blood, and tells him he's alright. And Glenn will get killed by Negan and Maggie loses the baby. Maggie then gets mad and sets up shop at hilltop to raise an army against the saviors. That's my prediction for now.

Okay-ish episode.

- Carol slays. Seriously, she's a living tank at this point.
- Everybody splitting up is dumb as fuck. Rick mentions they're preparing for war and seven people leave. Come on folks.
- Did however like Rick and Morgan's goodbye to each other. "You know, Michonne did steal that proteinbar". "Oh I know"
- Daryl, son, please. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?
- Dwight slowly turning into a real threat. Dwight vs. Daryl will be a great rivalry next season.

Next week will be good.

COMIC SPOILERS + SPECULATION FOR FINALE

- Seeing the promo, Negan finally appearing... yes please.
- I don't believe Maggie's baby is in danger. I'd say its a plotpoint for Maggie to move to the Hilltop, to keep an eye on Gregory next season.
- As for Lucille... with the finale finally coming, I'm starting to doubt who gets her touch. Sure, with all the fakeouts Glenn should be the one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they kill someone else. I'm still 50% on Glenn. But it wouldn't surprise me if they captured Carol and kill her. Or maybe Daryl... maybe. Fun times next week.
did you just spoil something ? who said it couldnt happen next episode?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I love Carol and all (seriously, I hope she never dies) but man...what kind of machine gun can fit up someone's sleeve? I was happy when it happened, but it was some BS.

DAMN Sonequa looks gorgeous on talking dead... ��

I could say the same about all of the ladies on the show who appear on Talking Dead, but yeah, she really did.

Catdaddy

Yeah, this episode was full of dumb moments, especially as they opened the show with the characters enjoying life in the safe zone of Alexandria. Okay so Carol runs out, she’s been on her own before and it’s Carol being Carol. I can accept/understand Daryl leaving to hunt down the Saviors who shot Denise, that is part of his character. But then the exodus of Glenn, Michonne, Rosita, Rick, and Morgan made zero sense, especially since they know what’s out there. I can only guess they are setting up for next week and also now have two wild cards, Carol and Morgan separated from the group and will be roaming around when the shot hits the fan with Negan’s arrival.

Out of all the poor decisions from this episode, the one I do not get is how Daryl, the “outdoorsman” can have a group of people sneak up on him - in the woods of all places, no branch snaps or leaves crunching. Even if they were stationary/hiding and waiting for them to come, you’d think they would have still had the situational awareness to know – hell Glenn saw them and he was farther away and tied up. I really hope they don’t screw up the finale.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Out of all the poor decisions from this episode, the one I do not get is how Daryl, the “outdoorsman” can have a group of people sneak up on him - in the woods of all places, no branch snaps or leaves crunching. Even if they were stationary/hiding and waiting for them to come, you’d think they would have still had the situational awareness to know – hell Glenn saw them and he was farther away and tied up. I really hope they don’t screw up the finale.

Yea, it's very heavy on the suspension of disbelief. Even when Daryl first runs into the group, they are ahead of him, when they should be tracking him, so way behind. It's getting more and more ridiculous.

ultron87

I still think the girl next to Daryl gets shot and Dwight grabs Daryl, covered in blood, and tells him he's alright.

If you watch it in slow motion you can clearly see that Darryl turns his head and Dwight's gun fires as it is pointed at Darryl.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hey we should be preparing for war, let's split up instead!

That's about the best summary I've seen so far.

I honestly think the latest episode was the first misfire since the show returned and went on its longest winning streak, which accentuated it shittiness. Poor decisions all around (even more than the usual), Dwight being ten ninjas (despite missing an ear and a dick), shoehorned situations out of plot convenience... the works. But the most offensive bit was Darryl's cheap as heck "death".

You just can't pull that off twice and not expect fans to groan like a hungry walker. It's just stupid. It lessens the value of the show, goes against its old "no fucks given" attitude and makes people not to care about the future of the most important characters.

With that said, the episode was worth my time just for Rick's patented "you gotta be fucking kidding me" look:

8VC5EcA.gif
fB5EUbE.gif

cacildo

I think its funny that NOW we see critics mad about stuff that has been happening for 5 years

Cmon, this was a bad episode, but we had much worst every season. This season is GOLD compared to the past ones

I bet when the stupid hospital arc was a thing and characters were doing stupid things all around the critics were like "what a wonderful character development"

I think its funny that NOW we see critics mad about stuff that has been happening for 5 years

Cmon, this was a bad episode, but we had much worst every season. This season is GOLD compared to the past ones

I bet when the stupid hospital arc was a thing and characters were doing stupid things all around the critics were like "what a wonderful character development"

They really weren't.

Zaph

Current comic comparison/question/spoilers -
What do you guys think of TV Dwight so far? I don't remember him being so gung-ho and enjoying killing as much. Wonder if this will ultimately impact his arc in taking over Negan's position? I can't imagine Rick/Alexandria being cool working with this version of Dwight - especially as they've seen him kill and maim.

Issue 100+ comic spoilers (current show storyline) and finale speculation based on that
*snip*

(Comic spoilers)
Good points, but I can't help but think it's all misdirection for ultimately killing off Glenn in the same way. I hope that's not the case, because the TV show has diverged in ways that will make that storyline worse - i.e. we've already had a season end with Maggie grieving (Beth's death) so doing that again will be cheap, and we've had nearly half a season with Maggie wondering if Glenn is dead. Really hope they do something bold and different with the finale.

MK_768

Maybe the knee to the stomach did it. I think the slash missed the stomach. All I know is that when Maggie got kneed in the stomach I immediately thought she was gonna miscarriage.

Surfinn

This was one of the worst episodes, plot wise, in recent memory. Dwight apparently was a ninja before the outbreak because he's simply sneaking up on and surprising everyone whenever he shows his face. Absolutely horrible that he was able to sneak up on Daryl, of all people. Just really terrible all around.

The fact that Rick simply left with no plan and everyone naturally split up was probably the dumbest thing to happen in the show in a long while. Just makes no sense when you've got people waiting to strike, waiting for even one short slip up to capitalize on.

Horrible writing, and people will eat it up/dismiss it away.

That's about the best summary I've seen so far.

I honestly think the latest episode was the first misfire since the show returned and went on its longest winning streak, which accentuated it shittiness. Poor decisions all around (even more than the usual), Dwight being ten ninjas (despite missing an ear and a dick), shoehorned situations out of plot convenience... the works. But the most offensive bit was Darryl's cheap as heck death.

You just can't pull that off twice and not expect fans to groan like a hungry walker. It's just stupid. It lessens the value of the show, goes against its old "no fucks given" attitude makes people not to care about the future of the most important characters.

With that said, the episode was worth my time just for Rick's patented "you gotta be fucking kidding me" look:

8VC5EcA.gif
fB5EUbE.gif

His death?

And what was the point of even shooting him? They throw it in the end for shock value and even tell the audience "he'll be alright" for no reason other than to not piss people off with another Glenn reincarnation.

I'm really close to being done with the show if the finale can't come through.

That ending was cheesy with the blood splattering on the camera LOL.
I just wonder how the master tracker is getting himself caught. - his emotions? I guess so since he was yelling at glenn when they caught up to him and then he almost shot rosita too. Like damn Daryl, you're a mess!

I take it he blames himself for leaving Dwight alive that ends up killing the doctor chick.
Which is intersting in a sense that they show this contrast of Morgans way to let people live. One result was the doc chick was there to save carl, another result is that she got killed. lol

Rick loves morgan so much as a brother he still gives him a gun. Knowing his way will get him killed and he absolutely needs protection.

ultron87

It just lines up with the Saviors themselves sometimes being completely incompetent villains who can't kill a single hero during a big firefight in the compound, after having them tied up and held hostage, or having the hero outnumbered and held at gunpoint on the road. But at other times they are stealth bad asses who sneak up on people in the woods and crossbow people from long range.

Mega

Banned
The setup to the finale has been so terrible.

For a second time they captured a Savior and for a second time did not interrogate him for vital information. How incredibly dumb. The group had the common sense to do this when they were newbies on the farm. Why isn't anyone trying to gain intel on where the rest of the Saviors are and what their numbers and firepower are like? It's like they barely care and instead pass days/weeks lounging around, looking for cans of soda, etc. Meanwhile the bad guys are actively hunting for them. Unbelievable.

And knowing they're actively being watched after an ambush, the first thing they do is wander out in broad daylight after a runaway, drive on main open roads in noisy vehicles, split up into ineffective 1-2 man teams after a large and unknown number of alert enemies, loudly trample around in unfamiliar areas and shout at each other in the open. At times they have military-like precision, at others they act like complete novices out in the field for the first time. This shit makes no sense.

How many times are people going to get ambushed and captured? It's getting really trite and there's more of it next episode. Do something else to build suspense. Same with the cheap fakeout deaths. It's gotten so bad that the audience needs to be told Daryl is A-Okay so there won't be a Twitter panic or something. I hope he gets his head bashed in just to spite the viewers that the shitty writing is pandering to.

Anyone else bothered by Alexandria's terrible defenses and surveillance capabilities? Especially after the towers and really good handmade barriers/fortifications in the prison? It's basically now people standing on top of the walls, completely exposed with no visibility of the immediate area (why didn't they clear up trees + burn/tear down the nearby homes?). I'm waiting for the inevitable scene of an Alexandrian on "patrol" taking an easy bullet to the head.

I'm looking forward to Negan's payback but looking at it from a broader picture and past the shock value, whatever he does will look "small" compared to Rick and Co. already savagely hunting and murdering dozens of Saviors. All these non-comic book encounters with the Saviors have trivialized the reveal and menace of the new villain and his supposedly badass group has been turned into cannon fodder for fan favorite characters with plot armor (Carol, Daryl). What can Negan even do to compare to Rick's past brutality besides curse and posture for a season ending kill? Off a few nobodies? Kind of weird situation the show has cornered itself into where the main heroes have been made into more brutal and effective killers (when convenient!) than the major villains.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Anyone else bothered by Alexandria's terrible defenses and surveillance capabilities? Especially after the towers and really good handmade barriers/fortifications in the prison? It's basically now people standing on top of the walls, completely exposed with no visibility of the immediate area (why didn't they clear up trees + burn/tear down the nearby homes?). I'm waiting for the inevitable scene of an Alexandrian on "patrol" taking an easy bullet to the head.

It's horrifyingly bad. They have just a few folks watching from towers, yet their line of sight is so bad they can jack a car in front of their noses and nobody will even notice it. The forest bit is particularly offensive given that the show went great lenghts to show work teams building a massive wall before.

It's like most of Alexandria's population is now just there, enjoying their time and oat muffins while Rick and his gang run things to their best extent possible.

Surfinn

I think it would have made a lot more sense (if they were gunna capture people) if they would have played more on Enid and Carl's venture through the woods/sneaking out to hang out. They could have been spying on them from a short distance and listened to a conversation about how Carl reveals Rick's position in the community and his relationship with him (i.e. "my dad"), then Negan and/or the saviors could have captured him to draw out rick and more important members of Alexandria (grab them by the balls). Would have made WAY more sense for Rick to start panicking and just dart out in every which direction searching for his son (which still would have been a little amateurish and silly). Instead we have someone who voluntarily leaves (to go.. where?) and, for no real reason, Rick grabs a car, takes off, and everyone else splits up without having ANY discussion or plan on how to proceed.

zewone

I really don't get the hype for Negan.

They've already dealt with a psychopath (the Governor) and with cannibals.

Once you're at eating humans level, you can't really step it up any higher than that.

Mega

Banned
Good post and I agree with all of these criticisms, but wow man, you might wanna tag that post. This isn't the spoiler thread.

Nothing to worry about. My post has no spoilers whatsoever. I'm raging specifically about what's happened on the show and what needs to happen to right things. My Daryl remark is something I wanted to see happen years ago, not a prediction or spoiler.

jond76

Banned
The setup to the finale has been so terrible.

For a second time they captured a Savior and for a second time did not interrogate him for vital information. How incredibly dumb. The group had the common sense to do this when they were newbies on the farm. Why isn't anyone trying to gain intel on where the rest of the Saviors are and what their numbers and firepower are like? It's like they barely care and instead pass days/weeks lounging around, looking for cans of soda, etc. Meanwhile the bad guys are actively hunting for them. Unbelievable.

And knowing they're actively being watched after an ambush, the first thing they do is wander out in broad daylight after a runaway, drive on main open roads in noisy vehicles, split up into ineffective 1-2 man teams after a large and unknown number of alert enemies, loudly trample around in unfamiliar areas and shout at each other in the open. At times they have military-like precision, at others they act like complete novices out in the field for the first time. This shit makes no sense.

How many times are people going to get ambushed and captured? It's getting really trite and there's more of it next episode. Do something else to build suspense. Same with the cheap fakeout deaths. It's gotten so bad that the audience needs to be told Daryl is A-Okay so there won't be a Twitter panic or something. I hope he gets his head bashed in just to spite the viewers that the shitty writing is pandering to.

I'm looking forward to Negan's payback but looking at it from a broader picture and past the shock value, whatever he does will look "small" compared to Rick and Co. already savagely hunting and murdering dozens of Saviors. All these non-comic book encounters with the Saviors have trivialized the reveal and menace of the new villain and his supposedly badass group has been turned into cannon fodder for fan favorite characters with plot armor (Carol, Daryl). What can Negan even do to compare to Rick's past brutality besides curse and posture for a season ending kill? Off a few nobodies? Kind of weird situation the show has cornered itself into where the main heroes have been made into more brutal and effective killers (when convenient!) than the major villains.

A lot of first bit can be explained by how Rick talks while in bed with Michonne. "we'll end it. It's our world, etc"...

To be fair, the group has been fairly unstoppable so it's no wonder it's gone to Rick's head.

I think Rick will soon learn what my dad told me once: No matter how bad you are, there will always be someone badder out there.

Learning the hard way starts next week, I'm guessing.

this assumes that negan is just another batshit crazy

Nah, whatever Negan does will pale in comparison to what has happened to the group before. Is everyone forgetting one of them was being eaten alive awhile ago? Negan can be as violent and ruthless but he will still be completely justified in his actions after what the group has done to his people.

MK_768

A lot of first bit can be explained by how Rick talks while in bed with Michonne. "we'll end it. It's our world, etc"...

To be fair, the group has been fairly unstoppable so it's no wonder it's gone to Rick's head.

I think Rick will soon learn what my dad told me once: No matter how bad you are, there will always be someone badder out there.

Learning the hard way starts next week, I'm guessing.

I hope so. Not cause I hate Rick and his group but because it brings excitement to the show. We don't want Rick and them being invincible. We want them to crash and burn at times. That requires a devastating death or two. Likely we'll get one next week.

Sendero

It's pretty annoying, yes. Not cleaning the tree's - I give it a pass, because they are filming in a real location, and probably aren't allowed to change the landscape (plus, having empty space cause distractions on scene framing, since your eyes inevitable tries to go there.. "looking for something". That's why they put cars to block the sight.). However, not putting any kind of protection/barrier on their guard platforms is pretty idiotic. They are begging to be snipped from the tree line, and in case of invasion, they will be forced to abandon their positions pretty fast.

BTW, in the interviews from last page, Norman talks about this last scene (mild spoiler about this chapter)
Daryl indeed was shot. Also implies that he was easily outflanked because he wasn't in a proper state of mind -feeling himself responsible for Denisse death. Furthermore, finally says that the "you will be fine" line may or may not be directed to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom