• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

someday

Banned
It has nothing to do with the show writers not wanting to, it's just how the scene played out in the comics. 99% word-for-word, they basically just copied Negan's dialogue straight from the page
I agree that the Negan moment was from the comics but had Rick's group killed so many of the Saviors before that in the comics? This is one of those times where they follow the source material when it's convenient but it doesn't follow what the show has done.

alcheim

I never read the comic before, but I found Issue #100 on a website and decided to give it a spin just so I could see how the Negan introduction played out. Before I knew it, I had already read all the way up to issue #108. I hope I haven't spoiled too much of next season for myself.

I don't like how Negan looks like this hulking greaser lunkhead in the comic.....Jeffery Dean Morgan looks more appropriately badass and a bit less goofy. That said, it turns out that Negan actually is kind of a goofy guy.....I can't imagine seeing Jeffery Dean Morgan [Comic Spoilers]
play an enthusiastic game of ping pong

I hope the TV show keeps that bit of comic spoiler dialogue
where he say's "he's" so hard, that he should wrap it in barbed wire and calling it Lucille2

hokahey

I never read the comic before, but I found Issue #100 on a website and decided to give it a spin just so I could see how the Negan introduction played out. Before I knew it, I had already read all the way up to issue #108. I hope I haven't spoiled too much of next season for myself.

I don't like how Negan looks like this hulking greaser lunkhead in the comic.....Jeffery Dean Morgan looks more appropriately badass and a bit less goofy. That said, it turns out that Negan actually is kind of a goofy guy.....I can't imagine seeing Jeffery Dean Morgan [Comic Spoilers]

Your problem is starting at issue 100. You need to read the series. It's a lot more pulpy than the show. More gruesome yet somehow more fun. You can't take in the tonal differences that late in the story.

And comic Negan is infinitely better than what we've seen from tv show Negan, who wasn't even that bad.

Big bad ass greaser Negan fits with the look and feel of the rest of the Saviors, who are also much cooler looking in the comic. They look appropriately apocalyptic instead of looking like they were dressed by Eddie Bauers hiking line like everyone else.

border

I'm open to changing my mind if it ends up being believable, but this is just where I'm at after the second half of this season. Although i don't see what wasn't believable about the Governor's scenario.

Woodbury doesn't make sense in that it's difficult to see why an entire community would submit to the rule of a single dictator who is clearly an unhinged psychopath. But if you're willing to buy that, I don't see why the Saviors are such a stretch. They're also run by a psycho, but he just has a different set of rules and procedures than the Governor did.

jond76

Banned
why are some people assuming its gonna be Carl because of what Negan said

i dont think this makes sense. For me Negans Words are actually a confirmation, that its not Carl

If he already plans to kill Carl why would he treat the group, that he will cut the boys other eye out?
How would this be a warning for the group, if they already know its carl that will die.

Hey Rick im going to kill your son - but if you move - i cut his other eye out....so don't move or say anything

agreed.. Him saying that makes me think Rick and Carl are actually safe.

woolley

Woodbury doesn't make sense in that it's difficult to see why an entire community would submit to the rule of a single dictator who is clearly an unhinged psychopath. But if you're willing to buy that, I don't see why the Saviors are such a stretch. They're also run by a psycho, but he just has a different set of rules and procedures than the Governor did.

We have whole countries that do that, why would it be so hard to think a small community would do the same thing if it meant safety?

My impression I got was that the Governor was just a good politician type... who was also a psychopath but hid it mostly until he met Rick's group. For the most part the people at Woodbury didn't know how absolutely nuts he was till the end.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
why are some people assuming its gonna be Carl because of what Negan said

i dont think this makes sense. For me Negans Words are actually a confirmation, that its not Carl

If he already plans to kill Carl why would he treat the group, that he will cut the boys other eye out?
How would this be a warning for the group, if they already know its carl that will die.

Hey Rick im going to kill your son - but if you move - i cut his other eye out....so don't move or say anything

Yup. I peeped that during the episode. Knew it couldnt be either Rick or Carl. My money's still on Michonne or Glenn.

border

We have whole countries that do that, why would it be so hard to think a small community would do the same thing if it meant safety?

Typically dictators have control over the police and/or military and are difficult to assassinate....whereas Negan/Governor were pretty vulnerable, considering that all their people are well armed and all it takes is one malcontent with a gun to end their rule.

My impression I got was that the Governor was just a good politician type... who was also a psychopath but hid it mostly until he met Rick's group. For the most part the people at Woodbury didn't know how absolutely nuts he was till the end.

There was certainly some contingent of the Governor's group that knew he was up to no good and turned a blind eye. My recollection of the Woodbury saga is vague and distant but early on I believe it was clear that they murdered an entire military battalion for their gear.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Governor's situation was inherently unrealistic, just that it's similar enough to the Saviors that if one is believable then the other probably should be to. Negan's followers know more of what he's done, but they likely believe the idea that they're providing a community service and keeping order in a world turned to chaos. The idea that you would kill someone for stealing a horse is barbaric today, but in the Wild West it was just how you kept the peace.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think what he means is he's witnessing all the criticism to season 6 and he's happy he wasn't a part of it

You just contradicted yourself.

I stopped watching at the end of S5 and missed all of S6. Only came back for the finale since I wanted to see how they handled Negan (and I thought the comic scene was really cool)

Turns out AMC decided to keep doing what they did to turn me off in the first place ;__;

this is random and totally inconsequential but I can't unhear Negan saying "very may well be" as opposed to "very well may be" now. Totally a realistic enough flub that even if it was a misspoken line it still works

Nameless

Rewatching and the first shot of the episode is that delirious first person shot of what we come to find out is a group member locked in a Savior van at the ambush point. Ultimately the final decision on who dies will probably be decided during a conference call with AMC execs, but it would be a clever and poetic tell if it ends up being Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, or Rosita considering the very last shot of the episode.

I honestly can't imagine we'll see the new star of the network savagely beat down a woman of color or a sick pregnant lady with a barbwire bat, so I think Sasha, Rosita, Maggie, and Michonne are safe. I also agree that Negan threatening to feed Rick Carl's eye means they're safe, at least as far a this particular date with Lucille goes. Abe, Aaron, and Eugene are still noobs. Their deaths wouldn't deliver the impact needed to the justify the cliffhanger. So that leaves Glenn or Daryl. Both make a lot of sense and gave off major death vibes throughout the season, but I'm gonna stick with Daryl, who I predicted to die in the finale.

Besides he'd definitely take shit like a champ.
DAMN!

it works for Negan because he's basically a giant overgrown child, lmao. fyi, the comics were releasing twice a month during that period as opposed to just once so the TV show is going to have a LOT to cover during the next few seasons. you've barely spoiled yourself at all, except for
the attack on Alexandria

SamuraiX-

Damn, I so can't wait for this moment.

[Comic Spoilers Issue 102]

My guess is that this is how the Season 7 premiere will conclude. Just read this issue again and I remember getting chills when I first read this page. Everyone thinks Rick is totally bitching out when he's been plotting the enitre time. The Lucille death will be very fresh in everyone's minds to start the next season so I'm curious to see if it'll add to this moment.

Betty

Banned
Rewatching and the first shot of the episode is that delirious first person shot of what we come to find out is a group member locked in a Savior van at the ambush point. Ultimately the final decision on who dies will probably be decided during a conference call with AMC execs, but it would be a clever and poetic tell if it ends up being Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, or Rosita considering the very last shot of the episode.

I honestly can't imagine we'll see the new star of the network savagely beat down a woman of color or a sick pregnant lady with a barbwire bat, so I think Sasha, Rosita, Maggie, and Michonne are safe. I also agree that Negan threatening to feed Rick Carl's eye means they're safe, at least as far a this particular date with Lucille goes. Abe, Aaron, and Eugene are still noobs. Their deaths wouldn't deliver the impact needed to the justify the cliffhanger. So that leaves Glenn or Daryl. Both make a lot of sense and gave off major death vibes throughout the season, but I'm gonna stick with Daryl, who I predicted to die in the finale.

Besides he'd definitely take shit like a champ.
DAMN!

I agree, I think it's Daryl too.

He's made too many dumb mistakes lately and felt really distant.

I'm sure the POV aspect will come into play and that only leaves Daryl or Glen since they were the only guys in the van,like you I don't think it'll be either of the ladies.

border

it works for Negan because he's basically a giant overgrown child, lmao.

I think that is a fair summary of Negan. I am definitely curious to see if the TV show will really take the angle of Negan as an "overgrown child" though. I think they'll just play him up as a mega-badass and ignore his very juvenile tendencies that are present in the comic. We only really have a 10 minute scene of Jeffery Dean Morgan to go on, but throughout that whole sequence he never really acts as ridiculous and immature as Negan seems in the comics.

border

I agree, I think it's Daryl too.

Daryl makes the most sense. Norman Reedus is probably getting offers and acting opportunities all over the place, plus he will have a new show on AMC over the summer. At the same time, you have to weigh that against the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people who would at least threaten to quit watching if Daryl gets offed.

As an Asian male actor, I doubt that Stephen Yuen is really being inundated with other acting opportunities so it makes less sense to have him leave. He's going to cling to this gig like grim death.

Yeah I think it's time for Daryl. His character has been directionless this season and he's been distant. Daryl probably killed the most Saviors out of anyone else in the group. I also feel that his role has been slowly replaced by many different characters this season. For the kill to have the same impact as the comics it has to be a plot armor, multiple seasons, veteran. No one thinks the show has the balls to kill him off, of all people, but I think they'll go for it.

I think the show has heavily hinted at 4 possible candidates:

1. Glenn- Lots of eerie scenes and conversations with Maggie that earlier this season that seemed to be hinting at something.

2. Daryl

3. Abraham- scenes he had with Rick, Eugene and Negan as well as a lot more focus on his character in this season were some clues. He already avoided his comic death.

4. Eugene- Scenes he had with Rick, Abraham and Negan hints that it could be him.

I'd be dissapointed if Abraham or Eugene was killed. I also like the theory that the 1st person POV in the truck was likely the one killed at the end.

border

For the kill to have the same impact as the comics it has to be a plot armor, multiple seasons, veteran.

Yeah, particularly after reading the comics today I have to agree that the person killed pretty much has to be an A-tier cast member. It just wouldn't have the same effect if they killed Rosita or Sasha or something. Perhaps I have too much faith in the showrunners, but I don't think they will pull some cheap move by killing Aaron or Eugene or someone similar. This is supposed to be an event that rocks the group to its core, and that can only really be accomplished by eliminating a longstanding cast member with a significant role. Glenn or Daryl are the most obvious choices, and Daryl is an easier pick because he doesn't have any particular connection to anyone besides Carol. Killing Glenn would significantly alter Maggie's arc, but it just seems like too bold of a move for a writing team that has been pretty scared to make bold moves.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm going with Daryl.

He'd go out like a champ. And I've seen the theory posted and thought this as well when I saw the episode. The episode gives away who's going to get it.

It's Daryl. He's the one looking out the doors the entire episode. It's foreshadowing.

Then of course there's the theory that AMC has put his new motorcycle show "Ride with Norman Reedus" on during the summer to help ease fans off the inevitable death of his character in TWD. He's also rumored to be working on multiple projects during the summer; Boondock Saints 3 and other stuff when normally TWD would be filming their episodes.

So it's not hard at all to see it's Daryl that meets his fate. He had a good run.

If it's the person whose first person view we see in the van then my money is on Daryl. He was shot, surely lost a lot of blood and could have been delirious, which would explain his skewed kind of hazy vision in those first person shots.

If the fpv is a hint. It's Daryl.

Darren870

I actually would probably stop watching the show if it was Daryl. Or at least not get excited about it anymore.

Lucille can have Glenn, he's been pissing me off far to long.

Plus there is the whole Daryl and Dwight arc that has yet to happen.

_Nemo

I don't think it's Daryl, he already had his "death" in the episode before, similar to Glenn. My money's on Abraham or Eugene.

I'm going with Daryl.

He'd go out like a champ. And I've seen the theory posted and thought this as well when I saw the episode. The episode gives away who's going to get it.

It's Daryl. He's the one looking out the doors the entire episode. It's foreshadowing.
Is he? It seems like he's at the front and there is definitely someone in between the camera and the door implying it is someone further back.

Also, there were dreadlocks in that Zombie's head. So could that hint at Michonne getting her head smashed in? Gimple did say there were clues in this episode.

Perhaps my faith is misplaced but I'm going to assume they're not going to waste the death on Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, or Sasha. It wouldn't nearly have the devastating impact that is needed. It has to be someone big and the only candidates were all in the van: Daryl, Glenn, and Michonne.

Glenn is too obvious, and Daryl is too liked. Leaving... Michonne. Whose death would be devastating for Rick.

Daryl getting killed would hurt ratings. The guy has surpassed Rick in popularity and is the face of the mobile game. Would also suck for Norman considering he's apparently the biggest fan of the entire crew. From a business perspective, Daryl dying would be either a last resort to combat highly dwindling ratings even if it only led to a temporary boost or it would be endgame stuff.

It sure as hell would be ballsy though. I'd almost say it would make all this bullshit worth it, even if it would still be ruined by leaks.

I don't think the show needs Daryl. If we go by history, the big Daryl episodes are some of the lowest rated episodes in their respective seasons.

I hope he's the one to go. I think he's one of the most boring characters right now, his arc has largely been on repeat for three seasons with just a different skin each time. It's a shame because the character is in the upper echelon in terms of screen-time. Sure, there's only so much you can do with such long-standing characters but I think they've handled most of the other main characters a lot better, especially in recent seasons.

Javier

I think Abe might be safe too. When Negan walks in front on Abe early in the scene, Abe rises up straight (like a boss) making him noticeably taller than the rest of Rick's crew. Assuming he stood like that all the way through, the POV at the end of the scene doesn't seem to fit.

C-Drive

I think Abe might be safe too. When Negan walks in front on Abe early in the scene, Abe rises up straight (like a boss) making him noticeably taller than the rest of Rick's crew. Assuming he stood like that all the way through, the POV at the end of the scene doesn't seem to fit.

I'm thinking it's Eugene. With Abe being the one standing up to Negan, it's almost an allusion to his protecting of Eugene for all that time. We also had a perfectly done "farewell" scene for Eugene as he drove off in the RV, leaving the ammo recipe with Rick.

I think Glenn is safe. I'd be okay with Daryl for the impact it would have though. Eugene dying isn't much of an impact at all.

I stopped watching at the end of S5 and missed all of S6. Only came back for the finale since I wanted to see how they handled Negan (and I thought the comic scene was really cool)

Turns out AMC decided to keep doing what they did to turn me off in the first place ;__;
well, respect to you for following through on what you said.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
is it me or is there a faint resemblance between JDM and Robert Downey Jr?

He's basically counterfeit Javier Bardem when he's shaved.

26jrb55.jpg

Incidentally, he also looks a thousand times better with a proper beard. He rocks the salt and pepper look like few else.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Is he? It seems like he's at the front and there is definitely someone in between the camera and the door implying it is someone further back.

Also, there were dreadlocks in that Zombie's head. So could that hint at Michonne getting her head smashed in? Gimple did say there were clues in this episode.

Perhaps my faith is misplaced but I'm going to assume they're not going to waste the death on Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, or Sasha. It wouldn't nearly have the devastating impact that is needed. It has to be someone big and the only candidates were all in the van: Daryl, Glenn, and Michonne.

Glenn is too obvious, and Daryl is too liked. Leaving... Michonne. Whose death would be devastating for Rick.

Rick has lost all the ladies he's been attracted to and his wife. Thats why I keep saying her or Glenn. I do believe its someone from inside the van. Before the final minutes I thought they were in a hole in the ground or something. And you can hear Negan saying stuff when it kept flashing to the inside of the van.

Another thing I just thought about since you bought up the dreadlocks...there were items from all those inside the van on that zombie roadblock. If those are clues...its definitely someone from inside the van.

Nugg

We also had a perfectly done "farewell" scene for Eugene as he drove off in the RV, leaving the ammo recipe with Rick.

Yep that farewell scene was out of place, this and his whole "redemption" arc this half season. I was sure he wasn't going to make it before Negan even showed up, and I'm pretty sure it's him.

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be [what happens in the comics spoiler]
Glenn. They wouldn't end on such a huge cliffhanger and then just to do exactly like in the comics.

Yep that farewell scene was out of place, this and his whole "redemption" arc this half season. I was sure he wasn't going to make it before Negan even showed up, and I'm pretty sure it's him.

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be [what happens in the comics spoiler]
Glenn. They wouldn't end on such a huge cliffhanger and then just to do exactly like in the comics.
changing which character receives the fate isn't an excuse for pulling a bullshit cliffhanger like that. in my opinion it's fuckin unexcusable

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I do not think it should be Darryl or Glenn...they have not had a proper arc, where it would make sense for them to die yet, especially Darryl. Eugene or Abe makes the most sense thematically for their proper character arcs. And the way Negan says "taking it like a champ," makes me think it has to be someone scrawny or someone who would not look like they would be able to handle it quite well, which fits in with Eugene's character. Eugene has gained confidence, had a farewell with the group and made amends with Abe.

I do not think it should be Darryl or Glenn...they have not had a proper arc, where it would make sense for them to die yet, especially Darryl. Eugene or Abe makes the most sense thematically for their proper character arcs. And the way Negan says "taking it like a champ," makes me think it has to be someone scrawny or someone who would not look like they would be able to handle it quite well, which fits in with Eugene's character. Eugene has gained confidence, had a farewell with the group and made amends with Abe.
Yup, it's probably Eugene. He also handed the bullet manufacturing documents to Rick. I think his arc closed out with Abe nicely too.

At the same time, you have to weigh that against the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people who would at least threaten to quit watching if Daryl gets offed.

I don't think I'm being overly cynical when I assume that that's the sole reason for the cliffhanger. Daryl or Glenn gets offed, and the network doesn't want to risk losing a fair portion of their viewer base, at least not before they've tuned into the season 7 premier and only have a week to wait for more...

I'm soooo not touching this show for the next couple of years lmao fuck that noise

It'll be Aaron. Because he has no tie to the cast. It makes more sense for AMC to kill a minor character to throw off all the speculations.

It's gotta be Glen. They wouldn't end it on a cliffhanger if it was Abe or Eugene.

Comic Spoilers

Eugene becomes super important now in the comics. He's currently reaching out to another, supposed massive group. I think this is setting up the next arc after the Whispers. I really don't see them killing Eugene. He's become one of the most important characters and I don't see anyone on the cast replacing him on the show.

Nugg

It's gotta be Glen. They wouldn't end it on a cliffhanger if it was Abe or Eugene.

Well I think it's the opposite actually. For very important/old characters like Glen or Daryl, they usually do the cliffhanger the other way around: "Look he totally died!" and later: "haha no he's still alive, gotcha!". They already pulled that crap multiple times. So if it was any of them, I think they would have just shown it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'll tell ya what, if it was Daryl, I'd actually at least understand the cowardice of waiting until the next season to reveal who it was.

That's the one character they could kill that would seriously cause people to stop watching, and if that's what they did, it at least makes sense to me. I don't like it, but it's at least understandable, them not wanting to alienate a large part of their audience.

I'll tell ya what, if it was Daryl, I'd actually at least understand the cowardice of waiting until the next season to reveal who it was.

That's the one character they could kill that would seriously cause people to stop watching, and if that's what they did, it at least makes sense to me. I don't like it, but it's at least understandable, them not wanting to alienate a large part of their audience.

remember when nobody was safe in the walking dead?

now the walking dead is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom