• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
ChefRamsay said:
Sony's problem is that people in general are tech-stupid.

We unfortunately represent ~10% of the gaming industry. Maybe 20% of other gamers have a level of knowledge high enough to realize the insane bargain the Vita is when compared to a $700 iPhone.

The remaining 70% just look at price and don't care/can't understand the difference between a 3DS and a Vita. Most people get iPhones on contract anyway, so a $150 iPhone vs $170 3DS vs $250 Vita... You see where I'm going.

We should also realize that the system does not have to sell no. 1 in order to be a success. Just look at PS360 now. The systems are thriving, even though their individual hardware sales total are way behind the wii, and that is because they have software forming their backbone. Sony really must embrace the software side of things for the Vita.

Demon Lizardman said:
It sounds like great price to me. If they lower it, that will be even better and will greater increase the sales they'll have during launch (Not unless there launch sucks). Did they announce anything about PS2 downloadable games, I don't remember.

PS2 downloadable games are just wet-dreams at this date and time.

ChefRamsay said:

We unfortunately represent ~10% of the gaming industry. Maybe 20% of other gamers have a level of knowledge high enough to realize the insane bargain the Vita is when compared to a $700 iPhone.

The remaining 70% just look at price and don't care/can't understand the difference between a 3DS and a Vita. Most people get iPhones on contract anyway, so a $150 iPhone vs $170 3DS vs $250 Vita... You see where I'm going.

Well, if Sony can't market the product and educate the public then yes, the Vita will deserve to fail.

But we can hope that Sony realizes that the days of just a dedicated portable gaming device are past us. If I want to stream netflix while I'm on the go, check my bank account, manage contacts AND play games with two analog sticks it's up to SONY to let me know the device can do that.

If it's about ONLY having a portable Uncharted player for $250 then the Vita is beaten before it starts.

Wanna talk about an overpriced device?

goomba

Banned
Personally I think the 3DS would have beaten the PSV even at the same price point. It comes down to the games (mario, pokemon, resident evil etc) and the 3DS plays them in 3D... Non nerds don't know what an OLED screen is, but they will notice its not 3D.

Delio

sk3tch said:
Word. Just like everyone says: software matters. Yes...yes it does. But also price. $250 is an insane barrier to entry. 3DS couldn't hack it (with FULL backwards compatibility to DS and DSi!). What makes you guys think the VITA will? The hardcore will adopt it no matter what...we are talking the masses here..

It doesnt seem like Sony wants it to be mass market and more for the tech guys. Weither that is a bad move we will see. Gaf of course see's it as a amazing move because this is a hardcore gaming forum.

Gaborn

ChefRamsay said:

It's the difference between a person that appreciates fine wines say, and someone who buys whatever they can find cheap. some people appreciate the value of a $100 bottle of wine (or considerably more than that) and some never will.

$250 (in the US) is more than reasonable for the PS Vita.

PAL will probably be recouping any losses as per :(

Sony just need to work on their marketing. They probably can't afford a Kinect-style launch, but they could certainly try harder than Kevin Butler and Marcus.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
goomba said:
Personally I think the 3DS would have beaten the PSV even at the same price point. It comes down to the games (mario, pokemon, resident evil etc) and the 3DS plays them in 3D... Non nerds don't know what an OLED screen is, but they will notice its not 3D.

3D isn't even a selling point nowadays. I don't think it will have that large an effect.

Kurdel

Banned
ChefRamsay said:

I think you under estimate that 70%. Dedicated handhelds come off as toys, whereas smartphones are becomming a necessity that happen to play awesome games.

I am part of that 10%, but I cannot justify purchasing another expensive piece of plastic that does the same thing as last gen, only prettier. But with a pre-launch price cut, I am definately more interested.

weeskwee

Banned
These threads are getting tired. The Vita haters are like broken records. can we please just keep Vita threads that focus on the software and get over release date, pricing, 3DS/iPad wars, etc.

Takuya

Banned
Kurdel said:
I think you under estimate that 70%. Dedicated handhelds come off as toys, whereas smartphones are becomming a necessity that happen to play awesome games.

I am part of that 10%, but I cannot justify purchasing another expensive piece of plastic that does the same thing as last gen, only prettier. But with a pre-launch price cut, I am definately more interested.
That's why it's called a luxury good, not everyone is supposed to able to get one from the get go... It's even sadder that people want this thing to drop more in price even though it's VERY affordable at $250 for what it gives. Look at all who bought the 3DS when it launched, with practically no software to push it.

AranhaHunter said:

That's simply not reasonable.

I agree that some onboard memory needs to be included in that $249 price, but 16GB seems like a crazy wish that will keep you from buying a pretty good device.

Hell..if it's got 8GB I'd be in heaven. I could stream most of my media to the device and wouldn't need to store most of it locally. Games would obviously take up more space, but then I'd be hoping for some type of additional external memory.

Xplatformer said:
That's simply not reasonable.

I agree that some onboard memory needs to be included in that $249 price, but 16GB seems like a crazy wish that will keep you from buying a pretty good device.

Hell..if it's got 8GB I'd be in heaven. I could stream most of my media to the device and wouldn't need to store most of it locally. Games would obviously take up more space, but then I'd be hoping for some type of additional external memory.

I say throw in a free 8GB memory card to go with that $250 price tag and call it a day. Also a slew of demos would help.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
jim-jam bongs said:
Reading threads on GAF about handhelds is like stumbling into a vinyl enthusiasts forum.

My heart skipped a beat just reading this, the vinyl topic is very close to my heart, the arguments I've had with people over CD vs Vinyl have sometimes nearly ended in fist fights.

Rpgmonkey

I'll think it should do okay (can't see it matching/passing the PSP though), but I don't get the impression that there's a lot of people outside of those who are interested in high-tech gadgets regardless of the cost who will really be that interested in it.

I think for most of what the Vita is trying to do, most people would rather look for an alternative that's cheaper, more portable, and/or more versatile.

thuway

odhiex said:
LCD screen version psvita, confirmed :p
Believe it or not, people would be totally OK with this. No memory storage, no games, nothing. Just to have that unit out there is what Sony needs to do. Just my 2 cents.

chubigans said:
I can either buy a $60 Gears of War game this holiday or 60 $1 iPhone apps plus unlimited free iOS games. And instead of buying the $250 Vita, I can buy an additional 250 iOS games.

I just bought 7 iOS games with my Taco Bell money I had set aside. Not even their Double Beef Chalupa can give you that kind of value.

your sarcasm is showing.

Honestly, PSVita is in a better position against 3DS than it was against DS(although that didn't pan out either). Coming in with better hype and a helluva lot more potential this race is going to be fun and instead of going against a 129.99 DS at 250, it'll be going against a much more evenly priced system.

GAME ON!

thuway

Nobody will give a shit about what I have to say, but I really hope for the love of God that the Vita will have a somewhat decent amplifier for my Sennheiser HD650s. My Cowon D2 is old as hell, and my Iphone ain't running it well either. Come on Sony.

Delio said:
It doesnt seem like Sony wants it to be mass market and more for the tech guys. Weither that is a bad move we will see. Gaf of course see's it as a amazing move because this is a hardcore gaming forum.
True, but you have to remember that the tech in Vita is off the shelf cell phone tech. So the price of manufacturing the Vita will go down rather quickly. It will not be 250$ for a long time i think.

thuway

Beam said:
True, but you have to remember that the tech in Vita is off the shelf cell phone tech. So the price of manufacturing the Vita will go down rather quickly. It will not be 250$ for a long time i think.

This. By the time the Iphone 6 launches, it will be probably as powerful as a Vita, and the price of the Vita should be able to fall dramatically. Cell phone parts make everything nonexistent within six months. The game is going fast.

DMPrince said:
is Angry bird coming to Vita? if so then the price will be fine if people bought iphones and ipads for it.
I don't think people bought either of those devices for that. It was just another incentive. The word-of-mouth is what sold the iPad and iPhone.

Sony has no pressure to cut the price. They are not going for that casual market and the hardcore market that is looking for a handheld knows that the Vita is a steal at the current price.

Also, as long as Sony has software at launch, they will be perfectly fine.

Radec

So.. an inferior handheld drops its price because it is not selling well makes the $249 handheld that is technically superior in every aspect you look in trouble now?

Somnid

Radec said:
So.. an inferior handheld drops its price because it is not selling well makes the $249 handheld that is technically superior in every aspect you look in trouble now?

Yes, actually. You just have a poor frame of reference.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so damn angry at those goddamn birds.

LiK

Sony already mentioned they're losing money on this current price. I doubt they can cut it anymore.

Takao

Banned
LiK said:
Sony already mentioned they're losing money on this current price. I doubt they can cut it anymore.

It's a negligible amount of money, and since they're launching later in US/EU there's a good chance that difference will get smaller.

Takao

Banned
goomba said:
And the DS touch screen was a gimmick too.. amirite?

That's not the same at all. One is a new control method that everyone who plays games can use, and one is a display method that not everyone can use.

RuGalz

People who think 250 is too expensive aren't going to buy it at 150 anyway so the outcome would be the same whether they slash price or not. Therefore, who cares about all that noise...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
RuGalz said:
People who think 250 is too expensive aren't going to buy it at 150 anyway so the outcome would be the same whether they slash price or not. Therefore, who cares about all that noise...
ken?

Jinfash said:
My god, how quickly people change.

"Fickle" is every gamers middle name.

AranhaHunter said:
Couldn't they have a U$99 3G Vita with a 2 year contract with ATT?

Nothing stopping them. It would make lots of sense, actually.

StuBurns said:
Not going to happen, it's destined to be niche, there's no point losing money on the units.

Something which probably slipped the mind of whoever wrote that attempt at journalism, considering Sony have already hinted they will already be losing money.

goomba said:
And the DS touch screen was a gimmick too.. amirite?
The touch screen on the DS was revolutionary for handheld gaming. devs used it in intuitive ways that the player base loved.

Give a current 3DS game where the 3D is essential to the gaming experience. That's right, there isn't. Nintendo made a mistake of creating a handheld based on technology that devs can never force players to use due to Nintendo being so paranoid.

Vice

ChefRamsay said:

It's not just the iPhone. The iPod touch line serves the same purpose for many kids and adults .

goomba

Banned
Takao said:
That's not the same at all. One is a new control method that everyone who plays games can use, and one is a display method that not everyone can use.

It's the same in that the key differentiating feature of the system is being downplayed. I wouldn't have bought an upgraded DS with better graphics or had a reason to re purchase Ocarina of Time or Starfox. Sure not everyone likes 3D but not everyone can use dual analogs either.

a1m

Banned
$250 is too expensive and then these same people rush out to buy the next iteration of iCraps and whatnot. What a bunch of crap.

Top Bottom