• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

Mxrz

These guys need to make up their mind. First the 3DS wasn't selling cause of software, then cause of price. Now Sony can't sell at $250 when a month or two ago, they were all squealing "OMG $250!!"

Still say it comes down to software and developer support, which Sony seems to be bringing. Hell, have Capcom make a Monster Hunter for it, and it should sell well enough in Japan.

It wouldn't have hurt to have some simple first party game to toss in though. Digital delivery would have made it pretty cheap I bet.

What? They really only think it can get 2.5mln units by March, when 3DS could get 4mln with its launch library? I think they are vastly underestimating the device.

I think its odd that they pointed out the Cupertino based, Apple Corp, which doesnt really develop its own games.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Azriell said:
Didn't Sony lower the price of the Vita to that of the 3DS? $250 vs $400 (or whatever the speculated price was) is a much bigger deal than $170 vs $250. $250 isn't that much in these days, and to the core (whom are more likely to buy a Vita over 3DS, in my mind), $250 is quite cheap compared to the cost of a $400+ console. Shit, its even still cheaper than the iPod Touch which is somewhat surprising to me.

Look. Sony didn't 'lower' any price, 250 was the first announced, and only known price, period. They also didn't 'lower' the amount of ram or whatever bullshit. Those are just forum rumours, stuff pulled out of people's asses, and should be treated as such.

Peagles

chubigans said:
And instead of buying the $250 Vita, I can buy an additional 250 iOS games.

Are there even 250 iOS games worth owning? Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd much rather have the Vita. I'm a bit old school with tangible goods though :lol

Also, I know we will get totally screwed over in price here (NZ), but I thought $250 for the tech Vita is packing was a pretty good price. Is $250 really an expensive price for the USA?

Sean

Banned
Sony kind of fucked up by announcing the Vita's pricing so early. They gave their competitors (mainly Nintendo) months to react and counter it, and all the "Holy shit it's much cheaper than I thought!!" hype/frenzy has kind of cooled down after all these weeks.

I feel like they should've waited until TGS or something.

DiscoJer

MadraptorMan said:
To be fair, with today's economy 25000 yen is a lot more than $250 USD. They probably could afford to lower the Japanese price a bit to be in line with the conversion rates...

Yeah, but that's because the dollar is weak (and likely getting weaker, thanks to all the money printing the government has been doing).

I mean, back in 2005, when the PSP launched, it was like 110 yen to the dollar. Now it's more like 80 (and could be as low as 70 when the Vita launches - it's at 77 right now)

Which if anything, makes it harder for Sony to cut the price in NA. They need their money in yen, being a Japanese company.

People are acting like the yen suddenly got a lot more valuable - it didn't - it's staying the same, it's just the dollar is worth a lot less (this is also why we've been paying a lot more for groceries, and gas, and pretty much everything)

So basically, while technically, it's $320 now, in Japan, it's still $250 in terms of what they could buy. It's just that the buying power of today's $320 = the buying power of $250 of a few years ago.

MadraptorMan said:
To be fair, with today's economy 25000 yen is a lot more than $250 USD. They probably could afford to lower the Japanese price a bit to be in line with the conversion rates...

Yeah I was getting the impression that "Takeda" was looking at that from the Yen perspective. Considering the US price, you would think the price in Japan would have wiggle room to be lowered. The US price to me seems to be an attempt at revitalizing the sales that fell off dramatically in the states.

This article seems to be focused on Japan and the cost there, not what it will be in the US.

Curufinwe

Sean said:
Sony kind of fucked up by announcing the Vita's pricing so early. They gave their competitors (mainly Nintendo) months to react and counter it, and all the "Holy shit it's much cheaper than I thought!!" hype/frenzy has kind of cooled down after all these weeks.

I feel like they should've waited until TGS or something.

No price at E3 would have been a PR disaster.

omg.kittens said:
Really? $250 is pretty damned cheap already.
No it isn't.

Once again GAF doesn't get it. People don't play tech, they play games. Vita is only as good a value to the market as the games it plays, and in comparison to other like minded platforms (ie the DS line and OG PSP) it is expensive.

newjeruse

bobbytkc said:
Look. Sony didn't 'lower' any price, 250 was the first announced, and only known price, period. They also didn't 'lower' the amount of ram or whatever bullshit. Those are just forum rumours, stuff pulled out of people's asses, and should be treated as such.
That last rumor is actually being spread by Giant Bombs own Patrick Klepeck.

Uh...I'm going to do everything I'd do with an iPad, yet spend less (at $249) ?

Shut up and take my money SONY.

Streaming Netflix to my Vita am happy. $250 am happy.

ThisWreckage said:
I think that it's going to be doomed because of the worldwide economy more than anything. It's reasonably priced for what you're getting, but people forget that it's still 250 in an economy when some people can't even find jobs.

iPad says hi.

Special J

Banned
newjeruse said:
patrick is so useless he should be demoted to intern status, only redeeming thing about him is that he actually bought an arcade cabinet

This thread seems confused by the difference between "sony is under pressure to cut price given what the 3ds has done" and "the vita isn't worth the price that sony has announced because the 3ds is now cheaper". Nobody is really suggesting the latter just because the former happens to be true.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Peagles said:
Are there even 250 iOS games worth owning? Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd much rather have the Vita. I'm a bit old school with tangible goods though :lol
There's not. I was joking. :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kazuo Hirai, Sony Chairman Howard Stringer’s top lieutenant, signaled yesterday the company won’t engage in a price war with Nintendo.

I don't want to believe.

come on $199 Kaz, you know you want to do it.

Kagari said:
Not really worried. The Japanese support will be there and that's all I care about.

If no one bought the PSVita because it's expensive ( or expensive compared to 3DS) then the Japanese developers might cancel their games or make them for another system or stop their support completely, there is no guaranteed for the future support really.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
newjeruse said:

So? Who is this Patrick Klepeck, and why should I think that his words carry enough weight to represent Sony?

Edit: okay, I sort of missed your point. Got it.

I think that it's going to be doomed because of the worldwide economy more than anything. It's reasonably priced for what you're getting, but people forget that it's still 250 in an economy when some people can't even find jobs.

you guys think the inevitable new iphone 5 and ipod touch 5 will have an impact for 3DS and Vita?

Edit: Which I guess would come out in December?

Curufinwe

DeaconKnowledge said:
No it isn't.

Once again GAF doesn't get it.

I don't think you get that Sony aren't prepared to lose shit tons of money on video game hardware anymore. So 250 American dollars is cheap given the cost of manufacturing the hardware.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
ThisWreckage said:
I think that it's going to be doomed because of the worldwide economy more than anything. It's reasonably priced for what you're getting, but people forget that it's still 250 in an economy when some Americans can't even find jobs.

Fixed. Where I am the economy is just fine. I like my high end devices and phones. Thank you very much.

graywolf323

EmCeeGramr said:
This handheld generation is insane.

Nintendo announces a glasses-free 3D handheld while the DS is riding high.
Nintendo shows a system that blows people away at E3, with everyone citing the amazing 3D, great graphics, and huge lineup.
Sony announces a PSP2 called the Vita with dual touch panels and 3G and PS3-like power, everyone is blown away.
The 3DS comes out for $250, and suddenly people think the 3D's terrible, the graphics suck, and the lineup is shit and it underperforms.
Vita is announced to be $250, everyone flips their minds at the low, low price for that hardware and what a bargain it'll be.
Nintendo cuts the 3DS price by $80 in the first six months, personally apologizes to its early adopters, and gives them free games.
Investors and commentators claim that the Vita is now fucked at $250 because it's priced too high.

sounds like everyone needs meds (or stronger meds)

Peagles

chubigans said:
There's not. I was joking. :p

Oh you! :p

I thought maybe I was so out of the iOS loop that I might be actually missing out on something!

Can you imagine how frustrated my friends get when I bring in 3DS and PSP and all sorts of gaming tech to show off, but I won't upgrade my shitty cellphone? :lol

No need to cut price. An 8GB Ipod touch sells for $230, IPADs go from $500 and yet they sell millions. Get good games and the price won't matter.

Anth0ny

If they match 3DS' price again, that would be fucking amazing.

I mean, when they matched it the first time it already was insane :lol

I simply can't see them dropping it to $170. They would lose waaaaaaaaaaay too much on each console sold. $250 is going to look bad alongside 3DS, yes. And it will really hurt if they miss out on this holiday, effectively allowing 3DS, Mario and Mario Kart to rule the world.

It's PSP vs. DS all over again, and I'm not entirely sure the results will be all that different this time around (in North America, at least).

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:
They didn't announce the PSP price at E3 the year it launched.

The PSP wasn't being launched on the back of a handheld predecessor that was all but dead in the US, and the lingering memories of the US $599 debacle. 2004 /= 2011.

Poyunch

I paid $250 for the 3DS so I'll happily pay the same price for the Vita (especially if it comes in red or white).

Kagari said:
Not really worried. The Japanese support will be there and that's all I care about.

I'm the opposite, I mostly care about western support in this day and age, so I guess that's the main reason I'm not really that excited about either handheld ATM and am actually looking into getting a tablet now. Hell, out of all the PSV and 3DS 3rd party games announced, I'm mostly looking forward to Bioshock and COD and we haven't seen anything on them. RE:R is not jawdropping to me and looks okayish right now. MGS3DS looks worse than the PS2 version IMO, plus with the HD version coming, I stopped caring about it.

I doubt I'll ever buy another dedicated gaming portable again. Between my phone, my tablet and my laptop I've pretty much run out of space for further gadgets anyway.

Maybe I need more pockets...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Psychotext said:
I doubt I'll ever buy another dedicated gaming portable again. Between my phone, my tablet and my laptop I've pretty much run out of space for further gadgets anyway.

Maybe I need more pockets...

You put your tablet and laptop in your pocket?

I need to see this.

bobbytkc said:
Fixed. Where I am the economy is just fine. I like my high end devices and phones. Thank you very much.
Who is proposing to take the device away or remove its "high end" ness? All you just did was argue that the price should stay high....well....because?

bobbytkc said:

You do realize that the Asian markets opened to shitty results, right? Or that the EU is continually having to bail countries out. Most countries are in the shitter.

Somnid

DeaconKnowledge said:
No it isn't.

Once again GAF doesn't get it. People don't play tech, they play games. Vita is only as good a value to the market as the games it plays, and in comparison to other like minded platforms (ie the DS line and OG PSP) it is expensive.

This argument will never hold because people do spend extraordinary amounts on smartphones.

If you really want to know how price works it's status. Nothing more. If it's a status symbol people will pay for it.

Kyon

Banned
its funny how quickly minds change. People were saying it was a sweet price at $250 and now that Nintendo dropped their price its too expensive. i personally dont care what nintendo is doing with the 3DS because it has nothing to do with Vita.

Curufinwe said:
I don't think you get that Sony aren't prepared to lose shit tons of money on video game hardware anymore. So 250 American dollars is cheap given the cost of manufacturing the hardware.

Plus the yen per dollar has decreased since E3. Sony will be taking a 5% revenue loss compared to when the price was announced based on currency loss alone. Can't really afford another 20% loss a 50 dollar price drop would cause.

Top Bottom