• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Twisted Metal’ Sets Audience Record For Peacock Comedies, Earns Spot Among Streamer’s Top Originals Series

Bernoulli

M2 slut
In the two weeks since the video game adaptation launched, it has become the streamer's "most-binged" comedy premiere to date. According to NBCUniversal, the average account watched about three episodes per sitting, with some opting to knock out all 10 in a single viewing window.

The company didn't report exactly how many people have watched Twisted Metal, but it is apparently joining the ranks of Bel Air, The Best Man: Final Chapters, Poker Face and Based on a True Story as one of Peacock's top five original series launched to date.

Nielsen data shows that Twisted Metal drew 400M viewing minutes in the weekend following its July 27 premiere, making it one of the week's most-watched streaming originals.

Twisted Metal is a described as high-octane action comedy based on an original take by Deadpool scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick about a motor-mouthed outsider (played by Anthony Mackie), who is offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he'll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

In addition to Mackie, the series stars Stephanie Beatriz, Thomas Haden Church, with Will Arnett and Joe Seanoa. Neve Campbell, Richard Cabral, Mike Mitchell, Tahj Vaughans, Lou Beatty Jr. guest star.

Michael Jonathan Smith wrote the series and served as showrunner. He also executive produced alongside Reese and Wernick. Additional executive producers are Will Arnett and Marc Forman (Electric Avenue), Jason Spire (Inspire Entertainment), Peter Principato (Artists First), Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan from PlayStation Productions and Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios.

RagnarokIV

Excited to see this but still no way for me to stream this. Will either have to wait for UHD release or other means.

Does Samoa Joe have much screen time or is it like Willem Dafoe as Ryuk?

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I also had low expectations of the show. Turns out I loved it. Watched the entire season twice actually. Cant wait for season 2.

MiguelItUp

Big fan of 1, 2, and especially Black. Originally thought it was going to be awful because of the teasers and trailers. But it ended up being really entertaining. Full of Easter eggs and references, and left me wanting more. Surely it's done well enough to get season 2, which is cool because from where it left off season 2 will be even better across the board.

Stitch

Gold Member
it is apparently joining the ranks of Bel Air, The Best Man: Final Chapters, Poker Face and Based on a True Story as one of Peacock's top five original series launched to date.
EVgDVQC.jpg

From what I hear, Peacock has absolutely terrible subscription numbers, so boasting this might not be as hard as it seems. It’s like Microsoft in a month stating Starfield is its most downloaded game on game pass in 2023.
Twisted Metal had no business being as good as it was. Also, the new John Wick prequel series looks incredible, which premieres on Peacock next month

Fbh

Doesn't seem like a particularly impressive record.

Show was ok, kinda bad but in an enjoyable way. I'd still like to see a second season though: Since the plot they hinted at for a season 2 would actually be a more faithful adaptation of the games

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Ah the typical "we set a record" marketing pull that companies do to pull suckers in. "HEY GUYS OUR SHOW WAS WATCHED WINK WINK A LOT, POPULAR!!!!! COME WATCH". Seriously, how are people still falling for this shit? A record on Peacock for comedy which is prolly at the bottom of the barrel isnt anything amazing lmfao.

drotahorror

Ah the typical "we set a record" marketing pull that companies do to pull suckers in. "HEY GUYS OUR SHOW WAS WATCHED WINK WINK A LOT, POPULAR!!!!! COME WATCH". Seriously, how are people still falling for this shit? A record on Peacock for comedy which is prolly at the bottom of the barrel isnt anything amazing lmfao.
Why you so mad?

If this gets them a few more subs why do you give a shit? Sounds like people that watched it around here, enjoyed it. A few subs might be the ticket for a season 2.

Lupin25

Didn’t watched it on Peacock but it’s not bad. Surprisingly funny.

It’s just a nice little tightly packed 30 min episode, something light-hearted & easy to throw on with (or w/o) the wife.
Don’t know what Sony’s expectations were but it exceeded mine.

Last edited:
I didn't think a Twisted Metal show would work but they did it, and managed to make it pretty fun as well. Looking forward to the second season.

Also I replayed TM1+2 on PS5 and the games still hold up IMO, but man they are sooo much easier with the rewind function lol. Kids these days have no idea what difficult games are

ElRenoRaven

This news isn't surprising. As I said when it came out I expected total shit and it actually was good. I really hope this means a season 2 because as anyone who watched it knows this season was just the set up for the good shit.

EdFig81

Neo Member
I have played all the games that were actually good and I will say its not a bad TV show.

There are changes and as they did a Mortal Kombat 2021 by not having the actual tournament but kinda of having a per-tournament season.

I will say it made sense doing that as unlike Mortal Kombat 2021 which is a established franchise that most people know about to some degree as Twisted Metal hasn't had a game out since i believe 2012. In other words Twisted Metal doesn't have that type of fan base.

I would also add that they did place a lot of Easter eggs through out the show that fans may like. I missed a few but later realized they did a way better job then I expected.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I am liking it, but they really changed the cop characters from the video game. Made them bad guys.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Binged it and, to my surprise, liked it a lot. It knows exactly what’s it’s doing, the show works very well with it’s limitations and, well, it’s actually a good no-nonsense comedy with a few quality laughs. I was prepared for a hatewatch, but now I’m really not against the idea of a second season.

Last edited:
Top Bottom