• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Yeah Mario is such a great character! My kids really like the outdated 80s design, want to be plumbers and are totally into cubism... And I bought an Ipad because I love apples.

StuBurns

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
I think half of the money that the games make come from nintendo adding mario to the name imo. Most of the games like mario galaxy if released by some independant 3rd party publisher would have probably recieved mixed reviews and barely any attention.
No, it wouldn't. It would have been universally praised.

I'm not saying that's true of every Nintendo game, but it is of SMG, that game is of phenomenal quality.

Gravijah

dairladada said:
Yeah Mario is such a great character! My kids really like the outdated 80s design, want to be plumbers and are totally into cubism... And I bought an Ipad because I love apples.

actually, my younger sister loves the mario design. i've always wondered how his design has held up so well.

BurntPork

Banned
hardcastle_mccormick said:
Not enough people will hear about this for Nintendo to give a shit. We'll forget about these rumors in two weeks. They'd probably lose more money in a legal battle, drawing attention to the issue, than otherwise, because then Nintendo is actually giving them a spotlight.

And anyone who gives up Nintendo products over rumors like this would have been pushed over the edge by something else anyway.

These rumors are irrelevant to Nintendo.
Core gamers keep up with news like this, and that's who Nintendo's aiming for with 3DS and Wii U. That's also who will buy Wii U at launch. Now, that core fanbase knows the controller is fundamentally flawed and they'll hold off on buying a Wii U until they're sure that there are no issues. That could mean a bad launch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Prime Blue said:
Actually, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 were the works of Kensuke Tanabe. Shigeru Miyamoto designed Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. Don't know where that stupid assumption comes from that Miyamoto didn't do the Japanese SMB2 but the Western.

Wait, what, nothing you're saying contradicts what I'm saying. Miyamoto worked on both SMB2/TLL and SMB2/DDP. Tezuka worked with him on SMB2/TLL. Tanabe directed SMB2/DDP which Miyamoto also worked on. I have always heard in everything I've read that Miyamoto spent more time working on DDP than he did on TLL. If this is not the case, it doesn't change anything.

SMB2/DDP is just as much an internal Nintendo game as SMB2/TLL was. That was my point.

BurntPork said:
Core gamers keep up with news like this, and that's who Nintendo's aiming for with 3DS and Wii U. That's also who will buy Wii U at launch. Now, that core fanbase knows the controller is fundamentally flawed and they'll hold off on buying a Wii U until they're sure that there are no issues. That could mean a bad launch.

Do you think, based on your aggregate record posting here, and maybe on other forums, that you might sometimes jump the gun a little bit or be prone to hyperbole?

If so, do you think it's possible this could be one of the times?

Emitan

Gravijah said:
actually, my younger sister loves the mario design. i've always wondered how his design has held up so well.
His voice keeps getting higher pitched. Look at Mickey Mouse. Super high pitch voice and lasted forever.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Probably the bold red and blue colors. Being primary colors they really grab people's attention. Plus, there's no Poochie in it.

les papillons sexuels said:
I think half of the money that the games make come from nintendo adding mario to the name imo. Most of the games like mario galaxy if released by some independant 3rd party publisher would have probably recieved mixed reviews and barely any attention.

Do you honestly believe this? Have you even played the game for a significant amount of time?

It's only one of the greatest gaming achievements ever created. It's brilliantly perfect in what it does and how it does it.

Triton55

IIRC, Miyamoto has only ever claimed that he came up with the idea for spherical platforms many years back. It's easy to see how this idea would naturally blend with gravity gameplay concepts that had already been lying around.

BurntPork

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Do you think, based on your aggregate record posting here, and maybe on other forums, that you might sometimes jump the gun a little bit or be prone to hyperbole?

If so, do you think it's possible this could be one of the times?
Possibly. I'm a bit jumpy because there's so much pointing to the 3DS rumor being true.

'actually, my younger sister loves the mario design. i've always wondered how his design has held up so well.'

Maybe she likes the design, but the reason people keep buying the games is that they are actually good. Brain associates visuals, sounds to pleasure. Creates neuronal pathways and generates addiction.
As long as you are not disappointed again and again, this will go on forever.

Boney

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
Do you honestly believe this? Have you even played the game?

It's only one of the greatest gaming achievements ever created. It's brilliantly perfect in every way.
Well I do. It's a brand. Not that it matters.

Regarding Steel Diver

Miyamoto:

I'll say things like, "If they can make this plain game a hit, this team will be amazing!"

BurntPork said:
Possibly. I'm a bit jumpy because there's so much pointing to the 3DS rumor being true.
Wait what?

Gravijah

BurntPork said:

uhm, where is all of this evidence pointing towards it being true?

wait, forget i even asked.

Miyamoto really meant when he said they could of made Halo

"Yeah we coulda bought Halo and passed it off as our own but we didn't want to spend money that day"

MYE

DefectiveReject said:
Miyamoto really meant when he said they could of made Halo

"Yeah we coulda bought Halo and passed it off as our own but we didn't want to spend money that day"

lol

These nintendo threads always deliver.

dairladada said:
Yeah Mario is such a great character! My kids really like the outdated 80s design.
Just because a design isn't new doesn't mean it's "outdated". WTF would Mario look like if he were first made today? Would be he as well received and recognized? Do kids dislike the way Mario looks?

If people still love the design then its clearly not outdated. Its like saying Mickey is outdated and that they should pump him full of coolness and make him edgy like they did Sonic ...

fse

[Nintex] said:
So 01net continues with their Nintendo articles and covers the creative process today:
http://www.01net.com/editorial/537994/nintendo-et-la-creation-le-poids-du-mythe-et-la-realite-(3-5)/

http://www.01net.com/genere/article/fichiersAttaches/1314201615-nintendo-english-partthree.rtf

Some key bits:

Well it is known that Nintendo shelves a lot of prototypes they make and they made a ton over the years. Then again I'm not sure about the first bit it is known that Nintendo likes to put forward guys like Miyamoto as the creators of certain games that he was only involved in at a management level.

Gaf speculation:
I was expecting them to say Sonic Xtreme inspired Mario Galaxy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol.

Seriously?

Lol.

There may be some truth to this (what games companies don't do prototypes or acquire shit they like, and how is it a bad thing?) but "added Mario and its friends, tweaked a thing or two, and... Here was Mario Galaxy!" is just too funny. Yep, they bought a prototype, added Mario, and called it a day. No effort, 10 million sales, vacation time! Christ...

And people are calling people out as super defensive fanboys for stating how ridiculous that shit is? Oh man.

Go play the game, it's merticulously crafted from start to finish as a Mario title through and through, from the biggest planet to the smallest rock or blade of grass.

It's no third party prototype with Mario on top...

RavenMoon2.gif

erragal said:
Why do people lack reading comprehension? I understand not believing the veracity of the report (I'm pretty sure it's false myself) but the tone of the report is in no way 'ax to grind' at all. How could you possibly get that?
Let's see, a deluge of articles in a matter of days from an undisclosed source all slanted towards sowing doubt about Nintendo's inability to make timely decisions. Gee, I wonder how someone could read an agenda into that. :p

erragal said:
Is it an automatic response that anyone saying something even mildly 'negative' must mean they have a negative agenda? And why would adapting an external game design to your IP even be offensive at all? It's not like it's as simple as fucking photoshopping mario into someone's game and then sending it to the printing press...
Speaking of extrapolating, and a lack of reading comprehension...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
All these articles read so tabloidy.

More like someone from outside Nintendo looking in and speculating from a disgruntled with Nintendo's direction point of view.

Join a few of the dots and leave everyone else to do the rest. They are all playing into pre-existing lines-of-thought on the Internet. Interesting to see what the next 2 days throw up, but yeah massive pinches of salt.

miksar

BurntPork said:
Especially how a supposedly Nintendo employee leaks information that may obviously damage his employer's reputation and hardware sales.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
DaSorcerer7 said:
No..actually , there isn't.

I could be wrong, but I think he meant to say "There are so many people already pointing to the 3DS rumor as if it were already proven fact," and because these are all from the same source, the jumpiness.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BurntPork

Banned
DaSorcerer7 said:
No..actually , there isn't.
Okay, maybe there's not much, but I find this rumor, Nintendo not flat-out denying the rumor, the Monster Hunter Tri G rumor, and the upcoming conference to be way too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Aside from that, Carmack's loss of enthusiasm with Wii U would be explained perfectly by development issues.

I know that I'm a paranoid person, but the fact of the matter is that where there's smoke, there's fire. There's one too many things lining up to dismiss anything.

Reversed

Kyoto Report is pretty good when it comes to secret Nintendo stuff. I haven't read any article in that site about prototypes, though. Unseen64 usually solves this issue.

What 01net said put me in doubt.

Cipherr

4997screen_raphael01.gif

504x_2hgr4g5-1.jpg

Nah, to difficult to claim something like this for a company like Nintendo thats been around so long. You can look way back and find bits a pieces of stuff they tried or expanded on, pretty much always.

This site should be banned, they posted a batshit insane rumor that makes no sense (a joystick can't be retrofit into a current 3DS, who doesn't have bluetooth nor external expansion ports through wired means) and this article shrouded with accusative speculation is also a load of bullcrap, clearly.

Of course Mario Galaxy didn't invent gravity in video games (Nintendo was way late to that party), and of course stuff like that had been tried before:

RavenMoon2.gif

And suggested in fiction:

Le+Petit+Prince.jpg

But that doesn't mean they took the idea from it. That's like wondering how Okami and Twilight Princess had a wolf to it. Nintendo had the idea in 2004, Capcom also probably had it around that timeframe.

They're obviously loving the Nintendo related traffic.

Mario would not be done today, that's my point. People don't like Mario games because you put Mario on it. They associate pleasure to Mario. And the Nintendo logo by the way...

Gravijah

BurntPork said:
I know that I'm a paranoid person, but the fact of the matter is that where there's smoke, there's fire. There's one too many things lining up to dismiss anything.

maybe someone is just smoking a cigarette?

Emitan

Nintendo is going to put a third analog stick on the Wii U controller a year after it comes out.

That smokey enough?

[Nintex]

BurntPork said:
A real paranoid person would say that Nintendo rallied the PR team with pictures of Yoshi's Island.

<_< >_>

Boney

Banned
BurntPork said:
Okay, maybe there's not much, but I find this rumor, Nintendo not flat-out denying the rumor, the Monster Hunter Tri G rumor, and the upcoming conference to be way too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Aside from that, Carmack's loss of enthusiasm with Wii U would be explained perfectly by development issues.

wait what

BurntPork

Banned
Gravijah said:
maybe someone is just smoking a cigarette?
I just mean the 01net has proven very credible lately. They're not going to put their rep on the line like this. And why didn't Nintendo just deny it? Something is up.

Top Bottom