• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Arcblade

Banned
Nintendo stole Miyamoto's soul, thus guaranteeing market dominance, when he was actually in love with Sega, and going to leave Peach at the altar.

Either that or he just made this up after smoking a big bowl with me, and let me take credit for the idea.

Gekko87 said:
My 4yo Nephew loves Mario, he always asks me to put on the game (old or new), they even got him a little Mario plushy for him. He's the Mikey Mouse of games man. sorry for the derail.

Read my other posts... Even Mario gets updated. Saying that people buy Mario games because of Mario is retarded. Might be true for a few of them but not to the level of 25 Million units...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Billychu said:
If 01net said that Nintendo was going to go third party would you believe them?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH,BECAUSE WE WANT IT TO BE TP!1111111

Billychu said:
If 01net said that Nintendo was going to go third party would you believe them?
ZOMG, is this a hint? Brb, starting a new thread about the confirmation that Nintendo is now going 3rd party. After the rest of the news this week we all really should have seen this coming. Figures.

Zeal said:
I believe all this shit. Nintendo has always played copycat with Sega too. Don't care what anyone says, Sega always did it first and did it best.

And that is why Sega had been doing so well for the past 15 years.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? From what I've read of the Iwata asks Technical Designer edition until DS came about they didn't have any tools for managing code-databases across projects.

I'd be incredibly interested in hearing what type of data was from Wave Race 64.

There is a good Keizo Ota interview you can read (Japanese) from an old NOM issue. Basically Ota has been programming water ever since Wave Race 64, it was featured again in Super Mario Sunshine. I am going to assume the same water physics from Super Mario Sunshine were further expanded on to Super Mario Galaxy. Matter of fact, Keizo Ota is the same guy who programmed the Super Mario 128 demo! By the way, in 2004 is when EAD was separated into 3 Departments. The technology department, has two groups, environment development group and technology design group. Perhaps this was a direct reference to the interview you are referring to?

Nuclear Muffin said:
If Nintendo are buying these ideas, concepts and prototypes from other sources; why do no other developers do the same thing?
Some developers do, for instance THQ bought the "de blob" idea from the guys that originally did that prototype and developed it into a franchise.

I'm sure Nintendo could buy stuff pitched for them as well, if anything as a means to cease and desist. What would you do if someone pitched you an idea very similar to what you were already doing and you knew it was pitching it to other companies as well?

And imagine if Nintendo has bought the aforementioned "de blob" prototype rights as a means to cease and desist (and this was, say, a 1999 prototype which it wasn't) we could be having a rumor like this saying Mario Sunshine paint gimmick was based on it, I dunno.

But you can't fake vision, and Nintendo clearly has it. These are stuff that weren't "lifted" from anywhere.

On some occasions Nintendo struck with stuff that was real high quality, like skip's chibi robo, or good concepts like Geist and other pet projects and instead of buying them or developing them they've agreed to publish them.

Nintendo is probably the brand out of the 3 manufacturers that creates more names from the zero, considering instead of buying established names (bungie, rare; or psygnosis and insomniac to name a few) they actually prefer to invest in pretty much unkown teams when they do.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
So they ordered no more? Those stores no longer stock the 3DS at all?
The retailers here didn't know of any rumors beforehand and weren't even aware that Nintendo was about to post their earnings and might announce a new strategy for the 3DS. They simply got a note saying: 3DS price to be cut by 40% and due to EU regulations Nintendo's doesn't set the prices anymore so you can imagine the panic. Nintendo even catched NoE by surprise who scrambled and started calling every site and retail chain about the news to report it as fast as possible. As soon as more details became clear everyone got sane again but the first few days after the news were quite chaotic.

Bol.com for example was already selling them for 180 euro prior to the pricedrop. While others were slashing prices as well untill NoE got pissed and made it clear they had no plans to drop the price...

WillyFive

nincompoop said:
I thought Miamoto stole all of his ideas from some obscure PC game called Ratchet and Clank

Reminds me of those who say Sonic Unleashed stole the rails gameplay from Ratchet and Clank Future.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rhod said:
Yeah, it was super fun times. I can talk about that one because the game featuring it has come out now. I'd really love to be able to show off the original StarFox Command touch control ideas we messed around with (so proud), but they are all added to Nintendo's big vault of game ideas referred to in that article.
Don't want to spend my life in fear of the pimp hand, the nintendo yakuza, and the ninja squad ;)
What's annoying is that I just pieced together what qompany you must be with. Now I feel dense. Heh.

[Nintex] said:
The retailers here didn't know of any rumors beforehand and weren't even aware that Nintendo was about to post their earnings and might announce a new strategy for the 3DS. They simply got a note saying: 3DS price to be cut by 40% and due to EU regulations Nintendo's doesn't set the prices anymore so you can imagine the panic. Nintendo even catched NoE by surprise who scrambled and started calling every site and retail chain about the news to report it as fast as possible. As soon as more details became clear everyone got sane again but the first few days after the news were quite chaotic.

Bol.com for example was already selling them for 180 euro prior to the pricedrop. While others were slashing prices as well untill NoE got pissed and made it clear they had no plans to drop the price...
I'm pretty sure that's just an acorn, Nintex.

Nuclear Muffin said:
If Nintendo are buying these ideas, concepts and prototypes from other sources; why do no other developers do the same thing?

Valve bought/hired the guys who did Narbacular Drop and they then made Portal for Valve.

So to sum this up, the final point of this article is:
either our source, or Miyamoto is a liar?

Valve bought/hired the guys who did Nebacular Drop and they then made Portal for Valve.
Yes, but they were actualized ideas and it is not like that there's treasure chest of them, there aren't many in fact. And who can possibly believe that Nintendo has been doing this for years, and not even for a single time, the other side of the deals that they bought ideas from, has spoken about this.

Cipherr

FlashbladeGAF said:
couldn't find this fast enough

whats more believable?

Nintendo stealing other people's ideas or Nintendo reusing their own

Powerpad and Wiibalance board
nintendopowerpad1.jpg

11090353.jpg

Game & Watch and the DS
donkey.JPG

I mean its really really common with Nintendo. Even the 3D push they tried in the past. In this case I agree its more likely they are using their own.

Diprosalic said:
Valve bought/hired the guys who did Nebacular Drop and they then made Portal for Valve.
Does that make them bad guys too? because that's what the tabloid article implies regarding Nintendo.

lostinblue said:
Some developers do, for instance THQ bought the "de blob" idea from the guys that originally did that prototype and developed it into a franchise.

I'm sure Nintendo could buy stuff pitched for them as well, if anything as a means to cease and desist. What would you do if someone pitched you an idea very similar to what you were already doing and you knew it was pitching it to other companies as well?

And imagine if Nintendo has bought the aforementioned "de blob" prototype rights as a means to cease and desist (and this was, say, a 1999 prototype which it wasn't) we could be having a rumor like this saying Mario Sunshine paint gimmick was based on it, I dunno.

But you can't fake vision, and Nintendo clearly has it. These are stuff that weren't "lifted" from anywhere.

On some occasions Nintendo struck with stuff that was real high quality, like skip's chibi robo, or good concepts like Geist and other pet projects and instead of buying them or developing them they've agreed to publish them.

Nintendo is probably the brand out of the 3 manufacturers that creates more names from the zero, considering instead of buying established names (bungie, rare; or psygnosis and insomniac to name a few) they actually prefer to invest in pretty much unkown teams when they do.

But Nintendo's "ideas" and prototypes have proven to be far more successful than anyone else's. Where is this magic source that only Nintendo are getting their game ideas from?

This article is basically suggesting that every Iwata Asks interview and everything Nintendo have ever claimed about their games in public is one big lie. That kind of thing could get the company shut down immediately (especially since they have said the same thing to their shareholders, which is a clear breach of international business law)

If we actually look at Nintendo's past games (and their own internally developed prototypes - which they have been stockpiling and we've seen some of them, like the avatar creator on the NES), you can see where the tech and ideas for a lot of their current games like Mario Galaxy and Pikmin actually come from.

Or you can continue to believe this hogwash...

Shikamaru Ninja said:
By the way, in 2004 is when EAD was separated into 3 Departments. The technology department, has two groups, environment development group and technology design group. Perhaps this was a direct reference to the interview you are referring to?

This interview is from November 2007
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/work_at_nintendo/interview03/contents02.html
池田:

3年前に、Alienbrain(※1)というデータ管理ツールを
導入しようと研究を始めました。

それまでデザイナーの開発環境には明確なデータ管理の仕組みが
なくて、例えば「数年前に作ったゲームデータを出して欲しい」と
言われたときに、膨大なデータの中から必要なデータを検索して
取り出すまでに多くの時間を費やしてしまうというようなケースが
何度かありました。

ならば1つの場所にまとめて管理をすれば良いのではないかと思い、
データ管理ツールの導入を検討したのがきっかけです。

Doesn't say it's impossible, just that it took a lot of time and effort.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tomorrow's headline:

Koji's Komposing Krime: The Truth behind the Super Mario Bros theme - famous Nintendo composer allegedly stole built-in keyboard demo song.

lostinblue said:
Does that make them bad guys too? because that's what the tabloid article implies regarding Nintendo.
Of course not, Valve isn't Nintendo. Only Nintendo deserves baseless rumours posted as facts.

Seriously, someone remind me why sites like Go Nintendo are banned and this site isn't?

I don't see what's so shocking about any of these "allegations"

so what if they bought "x" idea from somewhere. I find this neither unbelievable nor shocking.

that said, I also don't give any particular credibility to this site. just some random guy writing stuff at a keyboard, just like me or you.

or is it that someone has slandered the sacred "holy cow" of GAF (bless his holy mushrooms and toadstools, amen)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cipherr said:
Powerpad and Wiibalance board
nintendopowerpad1.jpg

11090353.jpg

Game & Watch and the DS
donkey.JPG

I mean its really really common with Nintendo. Even the 3D push they tried in the past. In this case I agree its more likely they are using their own.

...Or the Vitality Sensor, which was already present on N64 as a way to play Tetris, IIRC.

BGBW said:
Tomorrow's headline:

Koji's Komposing Krime: The Truth behind the Super Mario Bros theme - famous Nintendo composer allegedly stole built-in keyboard demo song.

Extra Report: Miyamoto stole colours from Light Spectrum Read the full report of our source. Shocking revelations about Nintendo copying blue skies from the original sky.

MrBelmontvedere said:
I don't see what's so shocking about any of these "allegations"

so what if they bought "x" idea from somewhere. I find this neither unbelievable nor shocking.

that said, I also don't give any particular credibility to this site. just some random guy writing stuff at a keyboard, just like me or you.

or is it that someone has slandered the sacred "holy cow" of GAF (bless his holy mushrooms and toadstools, amen)
Miyamoto being a shameless liar? Nintendo having a "secret chest" of bought golden ideas that they summon their games from, since 1986?

walking fiend said:
Miyamoto being a shameless liar? Nintendo having a "secret chest" of golden ideas that they summon their games from, since 1986?

But thats the only explanation. It is impossible that they would have made those games by themselves. They are completely uncapable of designing games themselves.

Basically Nintendo is the new Gameloft.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This interview is from November 2007
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/work_at_nintendo/interview03/contents02.html

Doesn't say it's impossible, just that it took a lot of time and effort.

They even mention the Development Environment Group. Which was created in 2004, and I think their first work as a group was Super Mario 64 DS. I am going to assume it helped in creating the port and updating the engine. But i think this refers more to EAD having a group (within the department of the division) having all these libraries databased in an efficient manner. Previously, the actual programmer of that particular technology would work on it again. I think this allows anyone within the group to have the ability to work with the technology.

Nuclear Muffin said:
But Nintendo's "ideas" and prototypes have proven to be far more successful than anyone else's. Where is this magic source that only Nintendo are getting their game ideas from?

This article is basically suggesting that every Iwata Asks interview and everything Nintendo have ever claimed about their games in public is one big lie. That kind of thing could get the company shut down immediately (especially since they have said the same thing to their shareholders, which is a clear breach of international business law)

If we actually look at Nintendo's past games (and their own internally developed prototypes - which they have been stockpiling and we've seen some of them, like the avatar creator on the NES), you can see where the tech and ideas for a lot of their current games like Mario Galaxy and Pikmin actually come from.

Or you can continue to believe this hogwash...
I surely don't. it's completely ridiculous.

But it doesn't surprise me, coming from guys that say that the current 3DS will have a joystick addon.

I actually thought about it, and seriously… where can you plug that? Wi-fi costs a lot of battery for such a small addon (would also require it to have batteries) while 3DS doesn't have blutooth and the 3DS doesn't have expansion ports/communication ports through wired means, and the IR connector is on the back… So how will they even connect it? No way they can.

Also… sell it for $10, no wai, lol. Nintendo doesn't even do that when they want accessories to be standard: wii motion plus, for instance)

I can see a future 3DS having one (specially for lefties and for "optional use" in certain games, like how if you liked a dual shock 3 to a pspgo via bluetooth you could use the extra joystick) considering they can't make it all that slimmer and lighter when it's already the size of a DS/DSi and a better screen would revolve around technology that is not available it's actually possible.

So, a new itineration will exist eventually when market starts to saturate and sales drop again but I doubt it's set on paper "now" and it'll always be optional, for it would be like adding a joystick to DS now. And they're busy with Wii U.

MisterHero

walking fiend said:
Miyamoto being a shameless liar? Nintendo having a "secret chest" of bought golden ideas that they summon their games from, since 1986?
Before they entered videogames, Nintendo was a secret clan of ninja thieves that raided ideas from all over the world for 100 years, using various cover operations (from rice to taxis to love hotels) until they could finally capitalize on them with the advent of the world's greatest entertainment medium.

Only can the Animus and Reggie's 23rd Century inheritor can tell us the truth!

walking fiend said:

that is how you choose to characterize it. that's the problem.

people shouldn't take this stuff so personally. in the end it's all just videogames. none of this stuff is sacred or holy. if Miyamoto lied, I'm sure it was just for convenience sake or to reinforce a narrative. so what?

Just to kill this bullshit even more. There is one time that Nintendo has actually "bought" a game concept from another source directly.

Yoshi's Cookie.

The concept was based on a game called INARO and was bought from Bullet Proof Software/Home Data Corp (though it is now owned by Intellectual Property Consulatants Inc)

YoshisCookieEnding.jpg

In order to make a game that is based on a concept sourced from elsewhere, it must be credited (unless the company buys up the developers - like what happened with De-blob and Portal)

To steal concepts, prototypes and code wholesale and not credit the original source is not only unethical, it is ILLEGAL.

This is a very serious allegation being made here and is so unlikely to be true that I cannot do anything other than laugh.

Nuclear Muffin said:
In order to make a game that is based on a concept sourced from elsewhere, it must be credited (unless the company buys up the developers - like what happened with De-blob and Portal)
THQ didn't bought the guys that did "de blob".

Because they're Ronimo Games.

But yeah, that stuff is credited, and I'm sure it's in the credits. And Nintendo is serious about royalties and stuff I do recall even though the guy that gave it's likeliness to Brain Training didn't want the money, Nintendo was pretty uptight in paying, and he donated it to research.

Rhod

DavidDayton said:
What's annoying is that I just pieced together what qompany you must be with. Now I feel dense. Heh.

Oh, heh. I'm flattered you bothered to think about it! :D For the record, I'm not at Q anymore (but of course I still love those guys, and I'm going back to say hi in a few weeks).

clashfan

01net has been on a roll lately. We complain that there is no video game journalism and when we get journalism, people complain.

clashfan said:
01net has been on a roll lately. We complain that there is no video game journalism and when we get journalism, people complain.
By your own definition then the definition of The Sun articles consists in "Journalism" as well?

clashfan said:
Oh yeah, unsubstantiated rumors and speculation are totally good journalism! This is exactly what people want when they ask for good video game journalism!

[Nintex] said:

Organizational problems. Something which may happen with decisions of this entity.
But 3DS sales are rising a lot, in Japan for sure, we all know, in Europe we can see games rising in charts, in the States we'll see but there are reasons to believe the price cut had some strong effects also there.
But. People must give time to 3DS. They cannot judge it after just few months on the market. Expectations were high for sure, but even DS was not so strong at the start in the West (and 3DS was not launched before Christmas in North America). Let's see how the console will perform in the first year, with a growing line-up, many important games in the next months and the holidays, usually a very strong period for Nintendo, and the new highly competitive price as well, without Vita around in Europa and America.
If sales won't be good next yeat, we might talk again about the issue but I do think it's to early to jump to conclusions other than the console was overshipped during the first months and just now is gaining attention among the public.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nuclear Muffin said:
Just to kill this bullshit even more. There is one time that Nintendo has actually "bought" a game concept from another source directly.

Yoshi's Cookie.

The concept was based on a game called INARO and was bought from Bullet Proof Software/Home Data Corp (though it is now owned by Intellectual Property Consulatants Inc)

To steal concepts, prototypes and code wholesale and not credit the original source is not only unethical, it is ILLEGAL.

This is a very serious allegation being made here and is so unlikely to be true that I cannot do anything other than laugh.

Well . I think the basis of a more robustly structured article would hypothesize or factually present that some "interesting portion" of Super Mario Galaxy's concept was originally from another prototype from a "non permanent" Nintendo employee? I mean it is hard to understand what the actual fact is when the article itself is not sure. At the end of the day the editorial piece is just shimmering with slander and sensationalism.

But for the record. I think it is silly to credit giant pieces of work like Super Mario Galaxy or Pikmin to Shigeru Miyamoto and not the entire team. Specifically the lead hands-on designers.

Top Bottom