• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

clashfan said:
01net has been on a roll lately. We complain that there is no video game journalism and when we get journalism, people complain.

"Journalism" isn't what 01net are doing here...

EDIT:

...and since I'm fresh off reading "Flat Earth News", here's a quote from the book (this particular one from a chap called David Rose) that seems appropriate:

"To any journalist being offered apparently sensational disclosure, especially from an anonymous intelligence source, I offer two words of advice: 'caveat emptor.'"

Shikamaru Ninja said:
But for the record. I think it is silly to credit giant pieces of work like Super Mario Galaxy or Pikmin to Shigeru Miyamoto and not the entire team. Specifically the lead hands-on designers.

Which outside public discussion never happens. The games credits mention shigeru Miyamoto exactly for what he did for the games. Nothing more nothing less.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I can believe it, not sure why it's such a big deal either if it were true since the end product is most likely on a whole other level compared to those proposed prototypes.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well . I think the basis of a more robustly structured article would hypothesize or factually present that some "interesting portion" of Super Mario Galaxy's concept was originally from another prototype from a "non permanent" Nintendo employee? I mean it is hard to understand what the actual fact is when the article itself is not sure. At the end of the day the editorial piece is just shimmering with slander and sensationalism.

But for the record. I think it is silly to credit giant pieces of work like Super Mario Galaxy or Pikmin to Shigeru Miyamoto and not the entire team. Specifically the lead hands-on designers.

Oh of course and hell! they even repeat this point themselves throughout each and every Iwata Asks feature.

It's the media that has spun Miyamoto into some sort of overlord figure who creates and designs everything all by himself. Nintendo themselves have tried to disprove this through their Iwata Asks series (and Miyamoto keeps stating how each and every game a team effort and that he has limited involvement in many games - the Spirit Tracks Iwata Asks in particular comes to mind, where Miyamoto himself said that the only involvement he had was trying out the game and giving it a thumbs up)

Also, for the last 10-12 years, Nintendo have had a strong focus on building up younger talent and shifting responsibility away from having Miyamoto or Tesuka oversee and direct everything.

Nintendo should really consider just outright denying these rumours and blacklisting media outlets that ignore their warnings and continue to post this bullshit (Their typical "We do not comment on Rumours or Speculation" shtick is not good enough) It's doing them no favours and has the potential to seriously damage their brand (what with how far it has spread and how utterly stupid most of these supposed Opinion Leaders and Opinion Formers are)

boris feinbrand said:
Which outside public discussion never happens. The games credits mention shigeru Miyamoto exactly for what he did for the games. Nothing more nothing less.

This too. In fact, the game's credits usually lowball Miyamoto's level of involvement in a game (since as "Producer", he is often as hands on as what would be considered a "Director" elsewhere)

Yagharek

So when next month there is no 3DS extra analog stick announced, we will get a retraction as it will obviously mean the other 4 rumours are blatantly false as well?

ASIS

clashfan said:
01net has been on a roll lately. We complain that there is no video game journalism and when we get journalism, people complain.
I just find it funny that if we take this "journalism" to be true then how on earth is Nintendo stealing new ideas, and yet people complain about rehashes?

It seems like everyone is throwing shit on Nintendo they are starting to contradict themselves.

Emitan

RandomVince said:
So when next month there is no 3DS extra analog stick announced, we will get a retraction as it will obviously mean the other 4 rumours are blatantly false as well?
Nintendo reconsidered at the last minute and killed the leaker before he could tell 01net.

A source tells us that Nintendo's Satoru Iwata, shortly after seeing the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, has commissioned a similar museum/factory for Nintendo. The cost of construction is reportedly quite high, especially due to the secret nature of the project, and is estimated to cost roughly $15 billion. One upper management Nintendo official project manner executive reportedly said in an on-the-record anonymous off the record quote "Iwata stole bonuses to construct this thing."

It is perhaps Nintendo's greatest failure that they do not innovate outside the box, but within that box innovation, one can philosophically wonder out their longterm status as a company inside the box. Would that Satoru Iwata's Factory be a success, perhaps the whole industry could benefit, but third parties are already complaining that the factory only services Nintendo intelligent properties. One source claims that the addition of a Gears of War park that traps overweight children in tubes was "summarily dismissed" due to Nintendo egos.

A museum factory showing Nintendo's history may not bare the entire story; it it did, perhaps it is a story Nintendo would not want to show. Like a giant with toddler feet, Nintendo is struggling to find footing, like a fish without gills in water. The once-proud, once-tall giant with toddler feet and gill-less fish has grown complacent and angry, knocking toys off its desk and kicking its feet. Is this the Nintendo we have grown up with? I can't 100% say absolutely no, but definitely so it is not. One leaker has even agreed, saying that Nintendo is cutting itself on the knees and that my tie is very attractive. How can Nintendo face these reactions in a modern, winding game industry where everything is new and nothing is a known quantity?

Reports of Iwata's Nintendo Factory, according to one leaker, are "wicked sweet," suggesting that Nintendo is pulling children from small Japanese villages and forcing them to perform psycho-sexual acts from within Mario outfits. We feel this is unlikely, as Nintendo seems too lazy to capture children on their own, prompting us to wonder and then subsequently confirm somehow that they have outsourced this project to external developers and then refused to pay them. The thundering giant with lacy underwear has struck again, claims one leaker, suggesting that our food may be poisoned if we do not check it thoroughly.

Check tomorrow for further news about this secret factory and why Nintendo might be poisoning the food.

Crewnh said:
The first internal Capcom Okami demonstration (with the realistic aesthetic and plain white wolf) was in 2003 IIRC. Not saying that anyone copied anyone, just a funny coincidence.
About the same time :p The wold in Twilight Princess was in March 2004, confirmed by Aonuma because he had it when he woke up in a hotel in US, he was there because he was going to GDC 2004 the next day.

And back then who knew Okami would turn into a Zelda'ish game from that prototype. Not from that video.

But anyway my point was that coincidences happen a lot.

If some guy did work who was his idea and didn't get proper credit for it he can surely prove it in a court; but probably it's like some guy in here already described, they pitched the idea to him, he worked and grew fond of it, and then they took it from his foster care.

He might feel like a mom whose child was stolen now or something.

That or yeah, he had an idea that was very similar to the ideas at Nintendo and was a third party and thus they bought his prototype and idea only to stop him developing a game that could steal Mario Galaxy's thunder.

ShockingAlberto said:
A source tells us that Nintendo's Satoru Iwata, shortly after seeing the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, has commissioned a similar museum/factory for Nintendo. The cost of construction is reportedly quite high, especially due to the secret nature of the project, and is estimated to cost roughly $15 billion. One upper management Nintendo official project manner executive reportedly said in an on-the-record anonymous off the record quote "Iwata stole bonuses to construct this thing."

It is perhaps Nintendo's greatest failure that they do not innovate outside the box, but within that box innovation, one can philosophically wonder out their longterm status as a company inside the box. Would that Satoru Iwata's Factory be a success, perhaps the whole industry could benefit, but third parties are already complaining that the factory only services Nintendo intelligent properties. One source claims that the addition of a Gears of War park that traps overweight children in tubes was "summarily dismissed" due to Nintendo egos.

A museum factory showing Nintendo's history may not bare the entire story; it it did, perhaps it is a story Nintendo would not want to show. Like a giant with toddler feet, Nintendo is struggling to find footing, like a fish without gills in water. The once-proud, once-tall giant with toddler feet and gill-less fish has grown complacent and angry, knocking toys off its desk and kicking its feet. Is this the Nintendo we have grown up with? I can't 100% say absolutely no, but definitely so it is not. One leaker has even agreed, saying that Nintendo is cutting itself on the knees and that my tie is very attractive. How can Nintendo face these reactions in a modern, winding game industry where everything is new and nothing is a known quantity?

Reports of Iwata's Nintendo Factory, according to one leaker, are "wicked sweet," suggesting that Nintendo is pulling children from small Japanese villages and forcing them to perform psycho-sexual acts from within Mario outfits. We feel this is unlikely, as Nintendo seems too lazy to capture children on their own, prompting us to wonder and then subsequently confirm somehow that they have outsourced this project to external developers and then refused to pay them. The thundering giant with lacy underwear has struck again, claims one leaker, suggesting that our food may be poisoned if we do not check it thoroughly.

Check tomorrow for further news about this secret factory and why Nintendo might be poisoning the food.

Flawless Victory.

Takao

Banned
Cipherr said:
Powerpad and Wiibalance board
nintendopowerpad1.jpg

Nintendo didn't make the Power Pad, that was Bandai, and they evolved it into this:

uOTn2.jpg

Active Life on Wii.

Saying they got inspiration from that is like saying the Wii U is based on the Wii uDraw tablet from THQ that Nintendo supposedly was going to support, but didn't ... oh wait.

lunchwithyuzo said:
but does Insomniac know what Yoshi's Island is?

Probably.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
boris feinbrand said:

The credits are only relevant to devout historians or fanatics like myself and a few others. It is easier to market a figurehead and that is what Iwata's Asks and public relations at Nintendo are good at. When Time Magazine wants a designer representing Nintendo on the cover of their magazine, it has to be Miyamoto. The most famous name in the video game indusry. As opposed to the Joe Schmoe Takazu who has spent the last two years locked in a room working on one single brilliant game. Think of poor Takashi Tezuka. Who from 1985-1995, was probably the busiest game designer at EAD. But his shy personality left Miyamoto alone to take the spotlight. And probably for the better.

The last two years, Nintendo has begun a much more varied campaign to internationally publicly promote several other producers like Yoshio Sakamoto, Hideki Konno, Katsuya Eguchi, Eiji Aonuma, and Yoshiaki Koizumi. Which at least represents a little bit more of the 800 designers working at Nintendo.

Yagharek

Nintendo-4Life said:
I just find it funny that if we take this "journalism" to be true then how on earth is Nintendo stealing new ideas, and yet people complain about rehashes?

It seems like everyone is throwing shit on Nintendo they are starting to contradict themselves.

There is perceived to be 'blood in the water'. Don't forget that there were 4 years or so of people saying "Wii is just a fad". Now that theyre in a transition period, typically the weakest part of any console cycle, everyone who dislikes them is jumping for joy with every perceived mistake. Add in an unhealthy dash of wishful thinking and you get these kind of bullshit stories.

It's really telling as to which media outlets run with the news and how they report it. Those are the ones with a clear agenda, although if it wasn't obvious for the past few years it should be crystal clear now.

dairladada said:
Read my other posts... Even Mario gets updated. Saying that people buy Mario games because of Mario is retarded. Might be true for a few of them but not to the level of 25 Million units...
No, its not.

On the topic of design. Yes, Mario gets visual updates as well as Mickey Mouse ... but his design doesn't change nor does it need to. It's not outdated, its iconic.

As for the reason people buy Mario games. You HAVE TO have an appealing figure to whatever you're selling. Like with cereal boxes ... don't feel like telling the whole story behind this but yes, people will buy cereal based on how much they like the character on the box.

Same thing with movies and TV shows and cartoons and blah blah blah. The character/s that promotes it and is predominantly used in it has to have features that appeal to the target viewers for it to be a success.

So to bring this all together! No, you can't take a random deviantart crap character or some random failed nes generation character and put it in the original Mario game and expect it to be as successful. Hell, the reason Mario looks the way he does is because Miyamoto was aware of the limitations they had to work around and designed Mario and his animations to take advantage of that.
Even today Mario games catch the eye of the young because of it's whimsical world and its title character even though they have no past with the series.

BurntPork

Banned
I've calmed down now. I would like to propose that, if no analog add-on is announced on September 13th, 01net gets the ban treatment.

ShockingAlberto said:

Fucking shit. I laughed so hard I farted.

OH GOD! THAT SMELLS HORRIBLE! WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME!?! I THINK I'M GONNA

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The credits are only relevant to devout historians or fanatics like myself and a few others. It is easier to market a figurehead and that is what Iwata's Asks and public relations at Nintendo are good at. When Time Magazine wants a designer representing Nintendo on the cover of their magazine, it has to be Miyamoto. The most famous name in the video game indusry. As opposed to the Joe Schmoe Takazu who has spent the last two years locked in a room working on one single brilliant game. Think of poor Takashi Tezuka. Who from 1985-1995, was probably the busiest game designer at EAD. But his shy personality left Miyamoto alone to take the spotlight. And probably for the better.

The last two years, Nintendo has begun a much more varied campaign to internationally publicly promote several other producers like Yoshio Sakamoto, Hideki Konno, Katsuya Eguchi, Eiji Aonuma, and Yoshiaki Koizumi. Which at least represents a little bit more of the 800 designers working at Nintendo.

The same is true for Cliff Blezinski and Epic, Ken Levine and Irrational Games and especially Hideo Kojima and Kojipro...

Figureheads are effective PR Figures, but rarely do they themselves act as if they did everything themselves. PR is contemporary, not lasting and only aimed at selling a product.
I have yet to see Miyamoto going around acting as if he was designing everything. In fact he often went on record to say that he wasn't as involved with certain games as he wanted to.

boris feinbrand said:
The same is true for Cliff Blezinski and Epic, Ken Levine and Irrational Games and especially Hideo Kojima and Kojipro...

Figureheads are effective PR Figures, but rarely do they themselves act as if they did everything themselves. PR is contemporary, not lasting and only aimed at selling a product.
I have yet to see Miyamoto going around acting as if he was designing everything. In fact he often went on record to say that he wasn't as involved with certain games as he wanted to.
And he certainly said that a few times at least…

Joystick Awards 2003:

Miyamoto: For over 20 years, I have been fortunate enough to work with very talented people with amazing foresight, from the Donkey Kong days to our most recent, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! I really have enjoyed every minute; it's an amazing industry to work in.

And I've seen him saying stuff like that more than once or twice, afterwards.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
boris feinbrand said:

Well the model is from Hollywood. "FROM EXECUTIVE EXECUTIVE GENERAL PRODUCER STEVEN SPIELBERG". Right? But Hollywood has grown and grown, where more names have been thrown into the mix. I'm sure the same will be done for the video game industry in time. But as for the named you mentioned, I actually was linking the names Yoshio Sakamoto, Hideki Konno, Eiji Aonuma, moreso to those people. 35-45 year old producer/managers who work with 1-2 teams at time. Miyamoto is much bigger than than. A 60 year old General Manager with a division of 500-600 employees. I am not insinuating Miyamoto is a credit hog by the way. But that his work is often very generalized because of his large circle.

^ That Executive Producer… Hiroshi Yamauchi, was a real credit hog though :p

He couldn't even play go with a NES controller but he got credited in everything.

Gekko87

dairladada said:
Read my other posts... Even Mario gets updated. Saying that people buy Mario games because of Mario is retarded. Might be true for a few of them but not to the level of 25 Million units...
dairladada said:
Maybe she likes the design, but the reason people keep buying the games is that they are actually good. Brain associates visuals, sounds to pleasure. Creates neuronal pathways and generates addiction.
As long as you are not disappointed again and again, this will go on forever.
Oh no your absolutely right. Obviously he has no idea who mario was before I introduced him to the games. I showed him and her older sister (when she was his age) the games in the first place because the gameplay and art style, its easy for kids to get the hang of, Mario was my first game as well. And he actually got it, he knows to step on the gumbas, get the mushrooms, to hit the blocks, he still dies a lot but it doesn't phase him he's having a blast. He remembers the music too and the sound effects. And its because of course Mario is in the spotlight is why he likes him so much. Also I should note its the "New" Mario bros that he played first not old school. Rightfully so cause the old school games are a lot harder for kids.

Black-Wind said:
On the topic of design. Yes, Mario gets visual updates as well as Mickey Mouse ... but his design doesn't change nor does it need to. It's not outdated, its iconic.

As for the reason people buy Mario games. You HAVE TO have an appealing figure to whatever you're selling.

The character/s that promotes it and is predominantly used in it has to have features that appeal to the target viewers for it to be a success.

You can't take a random deviantart crap character or some random failed nes generation character and put it in the original Mario game and expect it to be as successful. Mario games catch the eye of the young because of it's whimsical world and its title character even though they have no past with the series.
EXACTLY, couldn't have said it better myself, you also beat me to the punch before I was done with my own post lol

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well the model is from Hollywood. "FROM EXECUTIVE EXECUTIVE GENERAL PRODUCER STEVEN SPIELBERG". Right? But Hollywood has grown and grown, where more names have been thrown into the mix. I'm sure the same will be done for the video game industry in time. But as for the named you mentioned, I actually was linking the names Yoshio Sakamoto, Hideki Konno, Eiji Aonuma, moreso to those people. 35-45 year old producer/managers who work with 1-2 teams at time. Miyamoto is much bigger than than. A 60 year old General Manager with a division of 500-600 employees. I am not insinuating Miyamoto is a credit hog by the way. But that his work is often very generalized because of his large circle.
Well I won't argue that fact. But when you are dealing with public relations, abreviations and focus on a single Icon is very common and often not avoidable. Do I think it is unfair that public perception doesn't get to see the talent that Miyamoto works with? Hell yes. But I'm also realist enough to see that no one would be able to communicate each individual work and creation through one PR channel. Iwata Ask in fact is an interesting tool to get people into the spotlight who usually don't get primetime treatment.

We definetly need more of that. Games are a team effort, it's time that this is reflected in Public Relations as well.

boris feinbrand said:

Reminds me of this picture of the Assassin's Creed dev team

vhzUd.jpg

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:
Also the guy in the button-up to Raymond's right has, like, one clean pantleg and one seriously dirty one.
He was Ubisoft's leaker. he had to hide in some bushes to get away from NOE's hounds.

Boney said:
She seriously looks photoshopped in there.
She's on a different plane of existence.

So the rumor about a new 3DS next year taught me that when Apple does something it is genius but when Nintendo might do something similar it is stupid.

And now this rumor taught me that when Valve does something it is genius but when Nintendo is baselessly accused of the same it shows they have no ideas.

I am beginning to pick up on a pattern here.

Can't wait for the shitstorm tomorrow and Friday.

And for the lack of caring once all these stories come back as false.

StuBurns

Banned
JimWood27 said:
So the rumor about a new 3DS next year taught me that when Apple does something it is genius but when Nintendo might do something similar it is stupid.
I think you completely misunderstood that thread.

StuBurns said:
I think you completely misunderstood that thread.
What did I misunderstand? Honestly. A rumor pops up out of nowhere that Nintendo is going to release a different model of their handheld sometime next year (a year or so after 3DS launch) and the thread was full of people crying foul and how they were never buying Nintendo products day one and how they were angry they had bought one. Apple does this every year with most of their products (no rumors required) and people get in line immediately. Not much negativity involved with Apple, truck loads with Nintendo.

Am I misunderstanding this rumor, its implications, and people's reactions, too?

Emitan

JimWood27 said:
What did I misunderstand? Honestly. A rumor pops up out of nowhere that Nintendo is going to release a different model of their handheld sometime next year (a year or so after 3DS launch) and the thread was full of people crying foul and how they were never buying Nintendo products day one and how they were angry they had bought one. Apple does this every year with most of their products (no rumors required) and people get in line immediately. Not much negativity involved with Apple, truck loads with Nintendo.

Am I misunderstanding this rumor, its implications, and people's reactions, too?
Apple creates a minor upgrade every year. Nintendo releasing a system with a second analog stick would basically be an entirely different system and not the same thing at all.

StuBurns

Banned
JimWood27 said:

People don't care that they're going to make a new DS, they care it could have a second analog stick, rendering all the 3DSs so far, shit. It wouldn't be anything like the DS to DSLite to DSi to DSi XL, those 'Apple-ish' changes don't seem to upset people at all.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
How dare you mere mortals stand next to the great Jade? BACK! BACK ALL OF YOU!

No one seems genuinely happy in the picture.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Who really cares? A lot of games copy and expand on ideas presented in other games. It's a fact of life. When something is successful, people try to emulate it. Nintendo probably saw the potential and put it to use. Kid Icarus is another example of this. From what I've seen, it borrows heavily from Sin & Punishment. Unfortunately, S&P doesn't have the commercial potential that Kid Icarus is basically a rebranded S&P.

BurntPork

Banned
Billychu said:
Apple creates a minor upgrade every year. Nintendo releasing a system with a second analog stick would basically be an entirely different system and not the same thing at all.
Does that mean that the Wiimote+ is an entirely different controller than the standard Wiimote?

Stumpokapow said:
SMB2/DDP is just as much an internal Nintendo game as SMB2/TLL was. That was my point.
Sorry, that's not what I meant to challenge there. Was just saying that this idea of Miyamoto being way more involved in the Western than the Japanese SMB2 is a big misconception.

By the way, Tanabe spoke out on the game a while ago. Wired.com has posted an interesting article on it.

Top Bottom