• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Boney

Banned
BurntPork said:
I just mean the 01net has proven very credible lately. They're not going to put their rep on the line like this. And why didn't Nintendo just deny it? Something is up.
wait what

ElFly

Another piece of Nintendo lore attributed to Miyamoto is Mario's name.

Miyamoto says it comes from Marionette, while NOA attributed it at some point to some guy in the building they had offices at.

Shiggy

Game-Biz said:
I have a source within 01net that says all these rumors are true. Take that for what you will.

At its core, all of the reports sound credible. People are just overreacting.

StuBurns

Banned
BurntPork said:
I just mean the 01net has proven very credible lately. They're not going to put their rep on the line like this. And why didn't Nintendo just deny it? Something is up.
They wouldn't deny it, "Nintendo doesn't comment on rumors and speculation" is the best you'd get, and it'd be hard to even get that out of Nintendo on the record.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd say the fact that BurntPork believes it is ample proof of the opposite.
He'd have to be consistent for that to be true.

Shiggy said:
I have a hard time swallowing a dual analog dongle and complete rebranding as "credible".

Cipherr said:
You can look way back and find bits a pieces of stuff they tried or expanded on, pretty much always.
This.

Nintendo usually tries stuff from years and years until it comes out fully realized.

Like how Mario Sunshine "extra levels" were expanded a lot on Mario Galaxy games, there's a coherency to them.

Centric worlds is not something you can say you've been looking into ever since the N64, and explain how people told you it wasn't that viable due to limitations… and get away with it. because if not true it would be inflated. (and it has too much detail for something they wouldn't want to talk about otherwise)

Gravijah

BurntPork said:

oh ok yeah i understand you are totally right.

Shiggy said:
"A second analog attachment for the 3DS coupled with a total hardware relaunch less than two weeks after the price drop in order to liquidate current stock" is so believable that I can't believe it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shiggy said:
Nintendo stole from God, they took his ideas and made a game out of it:
apollo17_earth.jpg

So...who God stole ideas from?
It's obvious that he couldn't think those things.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
does not change that it still uses internally built EAD technology seen in Wave Race 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Roll-O-Rama and Mario 128.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? From what I've read of the Iwata asks Technical Designer edition until DS came about they didn't have any tools for managing code-databases across projects.

I'd be incredibly interested in hearing what type of data was from Wave Race 64.

Boney

Banned
My brains hurt

Anybody wanna play TF2 with me?

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? From what I've read of the Iwata asks Technical Designer edition until DS came about they didn't have any tools for managing code-databases across projects.

I'd be incredibly interested in hearing what type of data was from Wave Race 64.
Awesome data 'cause Wave Race 64 is just awesome.

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
"A second analog attachment for the 3DS coupled with a total hardware relaunch less than two weeks after the price drop in order to liquidate current stock" is so believable that I can't believe it.
Wait... The rumor said that the revision is planed to be announced in the coming weeks?

MisterHero

Billychu said:
So Nintendo of the future is stealing idea from Nintendo of the past to give them to Nintendo of the present?
No Miyamoto went back in time and wrote The Little Prince, let someone else take credit for it, and then copied it for Yoshi's Island, which is okay because he went back in time and wrote the inspiration for the invention

Miyamoto: "In terms of the spherical worlds and anti-gravity, we had the original idea as soon as we finished the development of Mario 64 and had been experimenting with it for many years, even on the N64. It's not an idea we got from anywhere else."
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/177554/miyamotos-never-seen-ratchet-and-clank/

Detail is something you can't fake.

Even the Moon in Majora Mask (N64 was very ill-fated to try and attempt spheric stuff, and yet they did) and you could visit it, which is kinda like the "visiting worlds" present in mario galaxy, albeit not meant to be as developed. It was retracted from the rest of the game world.

That site went from posting news to posting opinions.

/thread

Shiggy

ShockingAlberto said:

- lack of 3DS dev kits
- engineers trying to find a 2nd stick solution
- failure of marketing
- Nintendo planning a new 3DS console, maybe with a new name (like 3DS Plus)

3 of them are absolutely believable, and even when it comes to the 2nd stick it's believable to a certain degree - 3rd parties actually DO want it.

Pyrokai

ShockingAlberto said:

I just don't understand how Nintendo could betray people buying the 3DS before AND after the price drop like this. It boggles my mind. How can that be a good business decision for them, losing so many long-time customers like that? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I'm TERRIFIED this 3DS relaunch thing is true. If it's true, I will seriously be so upset I won't even know what to do...

BurntPork said:
How so? They said the same in response to Wii U rumors at first.
I don't understand why you replied to me here, but okay.

In 2008, John Davison was convinced, CONVINCED, that Nintendo was working on an HD Wii. The fad was over, Nintendo wasn't going to sell anymore, and their R&D budget was high.

Nintendo's response?

“Nintendo does not comment on speculation or rumor."

This, to Davison, was evidence that something was going on.

Davison had sources telling him that it would be out before 2011, that third parties were already working on it (IN 2008), and it would focus on the motion controls the Wii was known for.

But Nintendo didn't deny it back then, so obviously it happened. Did you buy yours yet? I've been playing Bioshock 2 on mine constantly!

Kinosen

Neo Member
01.net said:
Nintendo then set its views on a promising prototype it had bought from an external source some time ago, added Mario and its friends, tweaked a thing or two, and... Here was Mario Galaxy!

The idea that an external prototype was used as the basis for Galaxy isn't implausible, but the way this is written makes it sound like all Nintendo did was to add Mario, make tweaks, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato, and baby, they got a stew going, which really devalues the efforts made in level design and the polish of the mechanics and presentation.

Shiggy said:
- lack of 3DS dev kits
- engineers trying to find a 2nd stick solution
- failure of marketing
- Nintendo planning a new 3DS console, maybe with a new name (like 3DS Plus)

3 of them are absolutely believable, and even when it comes to the 2nd stick it's believable to a certain degree - 3rd parties actually DO want it.
You forgot to mention the part about the price drop being done in order to liquidate stock of current 3DSes.

That part is important.

Game-Biz said:
I have a source within 01net that says all these rumors are true. Take that for what you will.
That is simply impossible. Your source is unintentionally lying most probably.

Why? Because it is not as if 01 has uncovered this facts by digging through info, but they are just speculating on what their source is providing.

So for your source to say that this is true, should mean that he fully trust their source and that the source cannot be lying, which we cannot confirm, nor can 01. Or that he is in fact the source.

I believe 01 is not just pulling these rumors out of their arses, but their source?

Whoever is their source, it must be a pretty high profile member of Nintendo Japan, cause even their branches, even their CEOs, most likely are unaware of how Nintendo operates to this level.

and again, their stories based on their source info, is just pure sensationalist journalism.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Bucket Mouse said:
MisterHero already explored this angle:

Nintendo (in their original timeline) used their funds to buy a time machine and steal ideas in the future to use in the past. So, in their original timeline, they went into the future and stole ideas from Rachet and Clank-- ideas they would bring back to their original timeline and put in Yoshi's Island. And then later in Mario Galaxy, making it seem like they were the geniuses behind the idea in the first place.

Little did they know that they were being followed by 01's source/spy.

I thought that the rumours couldn't get more unlikely and crazy. I was wrong.

If Nintendo are buying these ideas, concepts and prototypes from other sources; why do no other developers do the same thing?

This is pretty much the ultimate damnation of Nintendo's dev practices, claiming that they have no internal development talent and that they've bought their success from some magic source that only they have access to. This is insanity at its absolute finest.

And watch the media run with this story like moths to an open flame...

Zeal

Banned
I believe all this shit. Nintendo has always played copycat with Sega too. Don't care what anyone says, Sega always did it first and did it best.

ShockingAlberto said:
You forgot to mention the part about the price drop being done in order to liquidate stock of current 3DSes.

That part is important.
AHAHAHAH, preposterous.

And they released a new mass produced color for that? :p

What about the consoles produced after the price drop that won't be embassadors?

wrowa

Game-Biz said:
So, 01net says that 01net is telling the truth? Amazing.

I was defending 01net yesterday and the day before, their track-record is very good after all, but by now the "Nintendo week" just seems kinda silly. I'm not sure anymore whether or not they are making shit up, referring to sources who make shit up or are actually telling the truth.

Shiggy

ShockingAlberto said:

That part is important.

Not really, poorly worded by them though as they mix their opinions with what their source gave them.

"In that perspective, the radical price-slashing, touted as a measure to boost sales, would also be a way to liquidate current stocks to make way for the sucessor…"

Just a different way of seeing the price drop.

It's just that their source seems to tell them pretty obvious things and they try to spin a whole story around it.

BurntPork said:
Every company has their dark secrets. Nintendo shouldn't just let this stuff go through, though. All it's going to take is one thing he says to be proven, and Nintendo's reputation is permanently destroyed.
Let's give it up for Mr. Melodrama right here

Zeal said:
I believe all this shit. Nintendo has always played copycat with Sega too. Don't care what anyone says, Sega always did it first and did it best.
Nintendo hasn't posted monumental debts yet, though.

But I do agree Sega did that best.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pyrokai said:
I just don't understand how Nintendo could betray people buying the 3DS before AND after the price drop like this. It boggles my mind. How can that be a good business decision for them, losing so many long-time customers like that? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I'm TERRIFIED this 3DS relaunch thing is true. If it's true, I will seriously be so upset I won't even know what to do...

It would be suicidal, and the very concept of a second-stick add-on is a non-starter and completely impractical/impossible with the existing hardware.

What demand there is from developers/public for a second stick is dwarfed by the damage it would do to Nintendo, the fracturing of the userbase, and the loss in trust.

I've been surprised at Nintendo's choices with the Wii U, but in the (very) remote possibility of this happening I'd have to conclude that Iwata isn't running Nintendo and it's infact a headless chicken calling the shots.

Gekko87

dairladada said:
Yeah Mario is such a great character! My kids really like the outdated 80s design, want to be plumbers and are totally into cubism.
My 4yo Nephew loves Mario, he always asks me to put on the game (old or new), they even got him a little Mario plushy for him. He's the Mikey Mouse of games man. sorry for the derail.

Shiggy said:
Not really, poorly worded by them though as they mix their opinions with what their source gave them.

"In that perspective, the radical price-slashing, touted as a measure to boost sales, would also be a way to liquidate current stocks to make way for the sucessor…"

Yeah, I'm not sure what them making incredible leaps of logic and mixing them in with their rumors has anything to do with their credibility whatsoever. You're right, Shiggy, nothing smells here!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ShockingAlberto said:

That part is important.

Or that they aren't sleeping due to create the analog
Or what Iwata said about the possibility of games without 3D used as point to prove the revision, when he talked about them at E3 2010... and when he was referring ( probably ) to games such as Hotel Dusk and RH, playable in book mode,so not technically with 3D possible.

Busaiku

BurntPork said:
This makes sense.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Serenade said:
MisterHero already explored this angle:

Nintendo (in their original timeline) used their funds to buy a time machine and steal ideas in the future to use in the past. So, in their original timeline, they went into the future and stole ideas from Rachet and Clank-- ideas they would bring back to their original timeline and put in Yoshi's Island. And then later in Mario Galaxy, making it seem like they were the geniuses behind the idea in the first place.

Little did they know that they were being followed by 01's source/spy.
Tomorrow's episode:
Hurry Nintendo! 01 absorbs Sony 17 and 18! Enter the Hyperbolic Timechamber!

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:

It's just that their source seems to tell them pretty obvious things and they try to spin a whole story around it.
And because the 3DS was such a dud in mainland Europe(more so than japan and perhaps the UK and US even) many companies and retailers here actually considered this to be a clearance sale.

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't understand why you replied to me here, but okay.

In 2008, John Davison was convinced, CONVINCED, that Nintendo was working on an HD Wii. The fad was over, Nintendo wasn't going to sell anymore, and their R&D budget was high.

Nintendo's response?

“Nintendo does not comment on speculation or rumor."

This, to Davison, was evidence that something was going on.

Davison had sources telling him that it would be out before 2011, that third parties were already working on it (IN 2008), and it would focus on the motion controls the Wii was known for.

But Nintendo didn't deny it back then, so obviously it happened. Did you buy yours yet? I've been playing Bioshock 2 on mine constantly!
I misread your post. :p

Hm. Good point... I guess we'll see, but when I try to tell myself it's not true, I always feel like I'm just in denial.

Busaiku said:
This makes sense.
futurama_fry_looking_squint2.jpg

wrowa

Nuclear Muffin said:
If Nintendo are buying these ideas, concepts and prototypes from other sources; why do no other developers do the same thing?
Maybe they do? It's really not such a strange thing, actually. Remember Portal? The concept was made by some students, who got bought up by Valve. The concept was great to beginn with, but I don't think Portal 1 and Portal 2 would have become as awesome as they are without the experience and talent of Valve.

In other words: A good idea is just the first step. Using and developing an idea is another matter altogether.

i like how they phrase it. nintendo just put a mario texture over the protagonist and added a couple of nintendo enemies and then they had the almost perfect game: mario galaxy.

ShockingAlberto said:

That part is important.

lol

2 out of maybe 3 or 4 biggest selling games for any console are gonna be on 3DS this holiday season, and people think Nintendo are gonna announce a new console and cannibalise ANY chance they have of getting the 3DS momentum going........

puts on straight jacket.

Nintendo want your moneys for the 3DS and they won't release another version til they've recouped that cost.

[Nintex] said:
And because the 3DS was such a dud in mainland Europe(more so than japan and perhaps the UK and US even) many companies and retailers here actually considered this to be a clearance sale.
So they ordered no more? Those stores no longer stock the 3DS at all?

thefro

Moreover

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_super_mario_galaxy_16785_16868.html

Miyamoto said:
So, what I came up with was gravity. In old movies, for example, they used all sorts of effects like people walking upside-down on the ceiling. Of course, no one can actually do things like that, so I thought that by creating this opportunity for the players, they can experience something strange and have fun just playing around like that.

world1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8n7WQIXQDs

Miyamoto said:
I have an image in my mind of Mario as a dapper man doing all sorts of strange things for us like a Vaudevillian in the olden days

Top Bottom