• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million (Dragon Quest VII) shipped in the first 2 days

prwxv3

I really wish Dragon Quest would do a little something to innovate on itself. It has become far too stale and predictable, but perhaps, this is what fans want.

if anything they need to quit it with the multiplyer. I liked 9 but as a whole the multiplayer dampend my enjoyment.

zoukka

Well deserved, it seems to be a great remake and perfect fit for a handheld.

can't wait for a western release D:

Soriku

Now get over the MMO thing and make DQXI a single player-focused game thanks Squeeny.

Yes. I also want them to remove the MMO-lite shit from DQ IX. It just doesn't work well and there's too much grinding necessary. Can we just have a new mainline entry that's traditional? Even better if it's on a console (but DQ XI at least is going to be on 3DS for sure).

kurahador

Yes. I also want them to remove the MMO-lite shit from DQ IX. It just doesn't work well and there's too much grinding necessary. Can we just have a new mainline entry that's traditional? Even better if it's on a console (but DQ XI at least is going to be on 3DS for sure).

WORD.

Though I want XI to be on WiiU at least. Making it for a handheld just means they'll prioritize co-op mp like DQIX again.

Eusis

How does this compare with other DQs?
Off the top of my head, it's inline with the bigger remakes like DQV.

Unless you meant the game itself. Quite a few have vignettes, but this game overloads with them, and it works amazingly well. Probably because one protracted narrative over 80+ hours would have to be damn good and likely damn complex, with good pacing at any rate.

HOLY SHIIIT!! I expected a lot but this is incredible.

Edit: Oh it's shipped. Then it sold about 500k on the first two days. I expected 600k for first week so maybe it makes it.

Eusis

No Mario & Luigi though :(.
And hopefully they don't take the same approach to that that they did to Paper Mario. Paper Mario can get a bit long winded so it at least needed to be concise, but M&L's perfect as it is, compromising the story in that would be unacceptable. And personally I feel M&L's approach to story telling suits Mario more than Paper Mario's did.

bon

I really wish Dragon Quest would do a little something to innovate on itself. It has become far too stale and predictable, but perhaps, this is what fans want.

DQIX was a co-op handheld game and DQX turned out to be an MMO. I'd like something MORE stale and predictable next time.

Sandfox

SMT 4.

Only missing Final Fantasy, all rpg pillars, in one place, one year.

Its almost time for Tales of Festival 2013 so its entirely possible that the 3DS will be getting a Tales game(could be mainline, spinoff or a ToS remake to go with the TotA remake we got) as well.

prwxv3

And hopefully they don't take the same approach to that that they did to Paper Mario. Paper Mario can get a bit long winded so it at least needed to be concise, but M&L's perfect as it is, compromising the story in that would be unacceptable. And personally I feel M&L's approach to story telling suits Mario more than Paper Mario's did.

Better pray miyamoto does not touch the series
hopefully he is busy with his WiiU projects

Instro

Really? Both 9 and 10 have been pretty drastic steps away from the traditional formula.

zoukka

Really? Both 9 and 10 have been pretty drastic steps away from the traditional formula.

Eh maybe for hardcore fans. But the similarities in combat, leveling, towns and dungeons are way more evident than in most JRPG series to most people. It's always been like that with DQ.

Meaning IX.

Yet another massive third party 3DS seller. Outlook looking good for the rest of the year, in Japan at least. Now, gimme the localisation announcement!

Eh maybe for hardcore fans. But the similarities in combat, leveling, towns and dungeons are way more evident than in most JRPG series to most people. It's always been like that with DQ.

Meaning IX.

Then you don't want it to be a Dragon Quest game? I mean it has to retain the core of the series if it's supposed to be a part of it.

Meaning IX.

Between Dragon Quest and the path Final Fantasy has taken, I'd prefer keeping it traditional every time. Same with its "same every game" brethren Pokemon.

If something's not broken, don't fix it.

cvxfreak

Famitsu IS Enterbrain.

No, not quite. They have a very close relationship and are practically one entity, but for articles like this, Famitsu the news reporting entity treats Enterbrain the tracking entity as separate. I think it's a good distinction to keep in mind for situations like this.

Put another way, Famitsu is a product of Enterbrain, but Enterbrain data is not necessarily a product of Famitsu.

zoukka

Then you don't want it to be a Dragon Quest game? I mean it has to retain the core of the series if it's supposed to be a part of it.

I don't want to say Final Fantasy, but Final Fantasy.

And no I don't mind the stiff structure, because I mostly like it. But I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking there's drastic changes between the games.

No, not quite. They have a very close relationship and are practically one entity, but for articles like this, Famitsu the news reporting entity treats Enterbrain the tracking entity as separate. I think it's a good distinction to keep in mind for situations like this.

Check the back cover or the TOC: Enterbrain is the publisher (発行所).

Sandfox

Between Dragon Quest and the path Final Fantasy has taken, I'd prefer keeping it traditional every time. Same with its "same every game" brethren Pokemon.

If something's not broken, don't fix it.

Pokemon changes things up. The problem with FF IMO is that they've changed too much over the years and basically treat every gen as an experiment. I like what DQIX did with allowing you to connect with friends and the fact that it was still traditional was a positive as well.

Bruno MB

Dragon Quest remakes:

[SFC] Dragon Quest I & II (Enix) {1993.12.18} - ? / 1.200.000
[SFC] Dragon Quest III Soshite Densetsu e… (Enix) {1996.12.02} - 409.082 / 1.010.989
[GBC] Dragon Quest I & II (Enix) {1999.09.20} - 269.937 / 763.760
[GBC] Dragon Quest III (Enix) {2000.12.04} - 154.143 / 637.749
[PSX] Dragon Quest IV Michibikareshi Monotachi (Enix) {2001.11.19} - 620.802 / 1.173.671
[PS2] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix) {2004.03.25} - 1.048.925 / 1.611.974
[NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square Enix) {2007.11.22} - 601.737 / 1.214.610
[NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix) {2008.07.17} - 679.442 / 1.190.404
[NDS] Dragon Quest VI (Square Enix) {2010.01.28} - 909.981 / 1.297.344

edeo

Why do the Japanese love VII so much?

I played this game during my "I'll play any 100-hour rpg" phase in life. Even I found this game ugly and unbearably long.

It draaaaaagged.

And those hideous smeary dungeon graphics.

It never ended.

Instro

Meaning IX.

I don't understand what you are saying, those are basic rpg elements.

The job system, the general overworld design, the addition of quests, random dungeons, co-op, etc, make IX very different from its predecessors. The battle system is different, and exp is based completely around jobs. It's a big step away from prior DQ game mechanics.

zoukka

I don't understand what you are saying, those are basic rpg elements.

The job system, the general overworld design, the addition of quests, random dungeons, co-op, etc, make IX very different from its predecessors. The battle system is different, and exp is based completely around jobs. It's a big step away from prior DQ game mechanics.

Again, this whole "big step" definition is subjective. I grew with FF games and learned to expect complete overhauls in battle/leveling systems.

I played this game during my "I'll play any 100-hour rpg" phase in life. Even I found this game ugly and unbearably long.

It draaaaaagged.

It never ended.
I kind of agree. I still love the story and what they did with all the set pieces, opening new worlds and all but it had a terrible job leveling system that made it drag on more than was necessary.

urfe

DQ has always been innovative, just in different ways from other ways. V was amazing for innovation in storytelling.

I fear people just want another VIII. I hope XI is single player, but different from VIII.

hongcha

It draaaaaagged.

It never ended.

The graphics are quite nice in the new 3DS remake. Still a long game, but it looks and sounds lovely.

Anyway, no surprise on the shipment numbers. It's mainline Dragon Quest, after all.

jaxword

It draaaaaagged.

It never ended.

The Japanese probably say "Why do the Americans love FF6 so much?"

cvxfreak

Check the back cover or the TOC: Enterbrain is the publisher (発行所).

Err, I know that. But "Famitsu" is NOT the entity that researches the sales figures. It's Enterbrain. They're not "Famitsu numbers." They're "Enterbrain numbers." And they're reported as such each and every time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Japanese probably say "Why do the Americans love FF6 so much?"

More like why do they love Call of Duty. :p

To be honest, I never did get the humongous appeal of DQ in Japan. It's pretty much by-the-books traditional RPG that hasn't really evolved. The only DQ game that stood out for me was V, the rest were just OK.

Gambit

To be honest, I never did get the humongous appeal of DQ in Japan. It's pretty much by-the-books traditional RPG that hasn't really evolved. The only DQ game that stood out for me was V, the rest were just OK.

No, it's THE traditional RPG. It set the standard. That's why it hasn't lost its relevance. Also, I didn't get the appeal either for a long time. Now that I've played a couple DQs, I can see that the game does evolve.

Anyway, great news.

Top Bottom