• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million (Dragon Quest VII) shipped in the first 2 days

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Between this and Monster Hunter I really just do not understand the Japanese gaming market.

Me neither. I'm not used to good games charting. I'm used to my (american) market where its mostly crap and yearly sports revisions that places :( I wish we would have something half as good as DQ7 or the latest MH up there.

Me neither. I'm not used to good games charting. I'm used to my (american) market where its mostly crap and yearly sports revisions that places :( I wish we would have something half as good as DQ7 or the latest MH up there.

Yeah, the best selling games of 2012 were also much more diverse than the charts in the west (even though it's handheld centric).

Yeah, the best selling games of 2012 were also much more diverse than the charts in the west (even though it's handheld centric).

The top 10 retail video games in Japan in 2012 (retail):

1. Pokemon Black/White 2 (DS)
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
3. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
4. Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (3DS)
5. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
6. One Piece: Pirate Warriors (PS3)
7. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
8. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
9. Mario Party 9 (Wii)
10. Dragon Quest X (Wii)

vs.

The top 10 retail games in America in 2012 (retail):

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360, PS3, Wii U, PC) - Activision Blizzard
2. Madden NFL 13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, Wii U) - Electronic Arts
3. Halo 4 (X360) - Microsoft
4. Assassin's Creed III - (X360, PS3, PC, Wii U) - Ubisoft
5. Just Dance 4 (Wii, X360, Wii U, PS3) - Ubisoft
6. NBA 2K13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC) - Take-Two
7. Borderlands 2 (X360, PS3, PC) - Take-Two
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, PS3, Wii, PC) - Activision
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, X360, DS, 3DS, PS3, PS Vita, PC) - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (X360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PSP) - Electronic Arts

They're definitely quite different, that's for sure.

5. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
7. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
9. Mario Party 9 (Wii)
10. Dragon Quest X (Wii)

vs.

9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, X360, DS, 3DS, PS3, PS Vita, PC) - Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

i prefer the Japanese list..

extralite

It's always been taking little steps or having little quirks between each titles really: 2 threw on a party system, 3 allowed you to make your own party, 4 put back in premade characters but you followed what each of your party members does before they join you, 5 has
something akin to a generation system
, 6 has
the dream world and real world, and how they intersect being a big deal
, 7 has you
going through time to restore the world
, and 8... is actually the most basic really, but it jumps far ahead in immersion with the perspective change and the essentially to scale world map, basically becoming what you'd imagine the older games would've been like if they were less abstract (and you were expecting Toriyama art rather than the art shown for western release.)
The battle system had remained largely unchanged though. No random battles and multiplayer, even realtime planned for 9 and implemented in 10 do set the newer games apart from the older ones.

These quirks were huge when they first had them...These features were rather revolutionary for the Japanese market when they first arrived. They are not just quirks. DQ allowed people who were bad at single player platformers the chance to actually beat games via hard work and not skill. The party wasn't just a party system. It was considered another revolutionary feature for the Japanese market. 3's party member making was also considered to be pretty unique for the NES and certainly a few steps ahead of many console RPGs then. These were not little steps.
They didn't first arrive with DQ though. Most things DQ did Ultima and Wizardry had done before, Megami Tensei had done before and Phantasy Star had done before. Most of these games also were on the same platforms as DQ, Wizardry maybe only afterwards. DQ only popularized what hardcore/PC gamer already were playing.

jaxword

They didn't first arrive with DQ though. Most things DQ did Ultima and Wizardry had done before, Megami Tensei had done before and Phantasy Star had done before. Most of these games also were on the same platforms as DQ, Wizardry maybe only afterwards. DQ only popularized what hardcore/PC gamer already were playing.

Everyone has long since forgotten how much Final Fantasy and DQ owe to Ultima.

Which, in turn, owes its own existence to Dungeons and Dragons.

Aeana

I don't know if people forgot, but Ultima and Dragon Quest are not really equivalent games, either. I think everybody knows that DQ borrowed from Ultima and Wizardry. Horii says as much whenever he gets the chance. But the result is also very much its own unique thing.

Korosenai

Didnt even know Dragon Quest already came out in Japan.

Is there a list somewhere of games that Japan has but the US doesnt (for the 3DS)?

extralite

Japanese gamers were playing Ultima and especially Wizardry when DQ came out. Horii himself played those games. That's my point, DQ only popularized what was already available on platforms other than the Famicom. The later stuff DQ introduced were definitely done by other games on the same (or equally mainstream) platforms as DQ as well.

I don't know if people forgot, but Ultima and Dragon Quest are not really equivalent games, either. I think everybody knows that DQ borrowed from Ultima and Wizardry. Horii says as much whenever he gets the chance. But the result is also very much its own unique thing.

I was replying to this:

DQ allowed people who were bad at single player platformers the chance to actually beat games via hard work and not skill. The party wasn't just a party system. It was considered another revolutionary feature for the Japanese market.

Both were the same for every other RPG with these features.

5. Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
7. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
9. Mario Party 9 (Wii)
10. Dragon Quest X (Wii)

vs.

Every single one a sequel, franchise or license. The newest entry being Borderlands.

Plus ca change.

jaxword

When I say "everyone", I usually mean the current fans. The older designers from 30+ years ago will remember, likely out of respect.

I doubt your current teenage FF player knew how amazingly close DQ1 was to Ultima. DQ1's first version used the same "flat" character sprites that didn't turn which Ultima started. Later DQ versions incorporated that small difference of changing direction when the D-pad is used, and then FF copied that, and so forth...

End6Zdn.png

KS62AxS.png

O6RdRUP.png

WuSohJ8.png

Or the in-game change to first person battles:

mrjiLhE.png

4ShTaan.png

(early and later versions of Ultima there)

DQ, and by extension FF, owe so much of their early beginnings to Ultima.

Boerseun

Banned
It's the best Dragon Quest, in my opinion. And the remake looks sweet. It deserves every single unit sold and I can't wait to pick up my own copy once it hits Europe.

extralite

DQ, and by extension FF, owe so much of their early beginnings to Ultima.

FF took very few cues from DQ actually. It had the D&D leveled spells that all cost the same to cast, but with restrictions separated by levels. It showed battles from the side which neither DQ nor the Western CRPGs that inspired JRPGs did. It had jobs before DQ had them. It had four character parties from the beginning and DQII only did the party system thing shortly before FF.

Really, top down perspective and the command menu were like the only distinctive features it shared with DQ. All the other RPG elements seemed to be more inspired from other sources or intent to do things differently.

Aeana

FF took very few cues from DQ actually. It had the D&D leveled spells that all cost the same to cast, but with restrictions separated by levels. It showed battles from the side which neither DQ nor the Western CRPGs that inspired JRPGs did. It had jobs before DQ had them. It had four character parties from the beginning and DQII only did the party system thing shortly before FF.

Really, top down perspective and the command menu were like the only distinctive features it shared with DQ. All the other RPG elements seemed to be more inspired from other sources or intent to do things differently.

I think you're getting too hung up on aesthetics in terms of influences, honestly, going by this post and your other one. The battle perspective in FF is different, but the mechanics are not dramatically so. Sakaguchi himself acknowledges that Dragon Quest left a huge impression on him and was the primary catalyst for the creation of the first game. Naturally, FF1 is by no means a DQ1 copy - he set out to one-up it, and the result is very interesting and unique. Obviously both games pull from common sources as well, which also explains some of the other similarities, and indeed FF did have jobs before DQ, but it was a static system. As I posted in this thread, FF3 is actually a direct response to DQ3's explosive success, and the result was a game that sold more than twice as much as its predecessor. And again, it's not like FF3 just did exactly what DQ3 was doing - it actually took what DQ3 did and did it better in a lot of ways. And it's this sort of relationship that FF had with DQ and its other competitors that is the reason for it becoming a series that always felt fresh and inventive.

FF absolutely did tons of things differently, but denying its influences is the same as denying DQ's.

extralite

I think you're getting too hung up on aesthetics in terms of influences, honestly, going by this post and your other one. The battle perspective in FF is different, but the mechanics are not dramatically so.

Different magic system and selectable jobs. It brought depth to the table that didn't come from DQ but from D&D. Those are mechanics not aesthetics.

I don't mean to deny the influence though. Just saying that FF had plenty of influences besides DQ, it was a minor one at best. DQ put the genre on the map and made people, including Sakaguchi, aware that this kind of game existed.

FF is like Cloud. A broken DQ copy that in the end is the only one able to surpass it, as opposed to the other DQ wannabe RPGs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Different magic system and selectable jobs. It brought depth to the table that didn't come from DQ but from D&D. Those are mechanics not aesthetics..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_III

Nintendo Entertainment System
JP February 10, 1988

While the combat system remains close to the previous Dragon Quest games, keeping battles turn-based and in first-person, Dragon Warrior III expanded on the open world and nonlinear gameplay of its predecessors, and introduced innovations such as a persistent world with its own day-night cycle, and an innovative class-changing system, which is later seen in Dragon Quest VI, VII, and IX. This class system allows the player to customize his or her party by changing character classes during the game, and keep a character's stats and skills learned from previous classes. Dragon Quest III's class-changing system shaped the gameplay of future RPGs, especially the Final Fantasy series, while a similar class-changing system later also appeared in Wizardry VI and VII.
Some of the rest stuff in that blurb seem like pretty deep elements for the era too..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My bad didn't read the whole conversation but when I hear job system I connect it to the FFTactics type, ie, one you can alter...

But yeah they clearly evolved concurrently once the first steps were made.

urfe

Wouldn't right about now be a good time for a budget re-release of Terry's Wonderland 3D?

You can already find it for 2500 yen used, and I bet some retailers will have the occasional sale to bring it down to 2000 yen used, so I would say it is, yes.

ronito

So I wonder if this will be taken as a sign that Dragon Quest X took the series in the wrong direction. I mean I don't think its sales came close to this pace.

Aeana

So I wonder if this will be taken as a sign that Dragon Quest X took the series in the wrong direction. I mean I don't think its sales came close to this pace.

There was no reason to expect them to. FF11 sold 63k in its first week in Japan, DQ10's opening was a smashing success compared to that. It's just that World of Warcraft has clouded perceptions of what a successful MMO looks like. Fortunately, I don't think SE is stupid enough to think they could possibly get numbers like that. Expectations for an MMO are not the same as for other types of games.

udivision

They were never supposed to come close. Much like FFXI, it was supposed to be an MMO to go along with the series.They want you to still be playing DQX even when DQXI, DQXII, etc.. come out, all the while releasing the occasional expansion and getting subscription revenues. It's been mentioned before that FFXI, which is definitely not what any consider the direction FF should go in, is the most profitable one. They wanted to recreate that scenario but with DQ.

EDIT: Yeah, what ^ said.

Didnt even know Dragon Quest already came out in Japan.

Is there a list somewhere of games that Japan has but the US doesnt (for the 3DS)?

DQM: Terry's Wonderland 3D (remake of the first DQM game)
Slime Mori Mori 3
Dragon Quest VII (at least so far)

Maybe not the smartest move to put this out so soon after dqx?

I think it's because of X that this makes sense. DQX is a great game, but there are a lot of DQ fans out there who didn't bite because it was an online game. VII is a complete remake of a numbered single player entry, so I imagine those folks who passed on a DQ game last year will probably bite this time.

Metallix87

I think it's because of X that this makes sense. DQX is a great game, but there are a lot of DQ fans out there who didn't bite because it was an online game. VII is a complete remake of a numbered single player entry, so I imagine those folks who passed on a DQ game last year will probably bite this time.

I think this may be the case, at least to a certain degree.

fates

The Zenithia trilogy came out here, so I believe chances of VII doing it too are relatively high.

I think what a lot of people forget is to add "begrudgingly" to that first half. Square Enix had pretty much cancelled VI, Nintendo came to the rescue when it took up DQIX too and ended up getting burned on both VI and J2.

I don't think DQVII is a sure thing for the west, this is an incredibly massive game that would be a huge localization responsibility to undertake.

However, I will say this would be an interesting and potentially HUGE opportunity to really open up Dragon Quest here. Seriously, Ni No Kuni did well and brought JRPGs back, so to speak, and as Ni No Kuni was a quality game with recognizable character designs (Miyazaki), Dragon Quest VII is the same (Toriyama's designs are just as recognizable as Miyazaki's in the west), but portable. However I doubt either Square Enix or Nintendo will realize that.

I think what a lot of people forget is to add "begrudgingly" to that first half. Square Enix had pretty much cancelled VI, Nintendo came to the rescue when it took up DQIX too and ended up getting burned on both VI and J2.

I don't think DQVII is a sure thing for the west, this is an incredibly massive game that would be a huge localization responsibility to undertake.

However, I will say this would be an interesting and potentially HUGE opportunity to really open up Dragon Quest here. Seriously, Ni No Kuni did well and brought JRPGs back, so to speak, and as Ni No Kuni was a quality game with recognizable character designs (Miyazaki), Dragon Quest VII is the same (Toriyama's designs are just as recognizable as Miyazaki's in the west), but portable. However I doubt either Square Enix or Nintendo will realize that.

I think Ninendo is realizing that for the 3DS in the west they need to take what they can get and games like Dragon Quest are the types of games that makes sense.

fates

I think Ninendo is realizing that for the 3DS in the west they need to take what they can get and games like Dragon Quest are the types of games that makes sense.

I hope Fire Emblem helps them realize that. But the fact they undershipped (and still are if that thread is an indication) that tells me they might not have had such faith.

I hope Fire Emblem helps them realize that. But the fact they undershipped (and still are if that thread is an indication) that tells me they might not have had such faith.

I don't think they undershipped. I think the first shipment went out in two halves and that was by accident (something cocked up in their distribution network) and the next shipment should probably come in cleaner.

Sandfox

I think they just need to either lower sales exceptions or just push the games like they did IX.

Top Bottom