• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10/29/13 ps4 Release date?

Owzers

I'm going to assume it will be towards the end of november. If it's december i'll be disappointed, if october, surprised. It makes good business sense to launch your console when BF4 and AC4 come out so people don't just buy the ps3/xbox 360 versions and then ps4 gets the game a month later.

I would say that's in the realm of possibilities. I would just expect an email like that to leak immediately and be everywhere in about 10 minutes. I'm not that familiar with manufacture/retailer confidential communications but would they really send something that important to retailers this early?

Pandemic

When can we expect Sony to announce a release date? Gamescom? TGS?

Hopefully Australia doesn't have to wait to long after the EU/US launch.. A worldwide launch would be awesome.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It would be cool to see it earlier but would also make the wait harder. I'm buying it online in the US and having it shipped to my parents but I won't get it until I head to the US for Christmas break.

JoshHood

AC4 is not confirmed to be a launch game officially btw. Watch Dogs is though, and I'd be pretty surprised to see it launch on PS4 before all the other versions they've been drumming up pre-orders for, which launch in mid-November.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So (probably) just 4 months until a new generation of consoles starts off. Goddamn.

Eurocult

In a way it would make sense because they could have the initial rush/pre order/sell out in late October which would give them some time to replenish stock for xmas/holiday.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I would love for an Oct. launch, however, how much shorter would that make the release list?

Down to two games at retail/digital(other than the PS+ version of Drive Club)?

Eterniti

I've heard from some people at E3 who said that Sony's aiming for a late October to early November release, so this seems plausible.

Daigr

That date works for me; It'll give me about a week to get aquainted with it.

Before my wife gives birth to our second child . Then no game time .

Rocky

Banned
I'd love a late Oct release date. I didn't really care for consoles releasing shortly before Black Friday. Too much craziness ensues.

Izick

Oh shit...took me a double-take to realize that's October. That would be cool, really. Right before Halloween and the big holiday rush as well.

If Sony launches in late October when MS is looking at November that's the final nail in the coffin for the launch window fight between them imo.

Duxxy3

October is when I figured they would have the system out. It's clearly ready for mass production.

edit: this would put a hell of a lot of pressure on microsoft to get the xbox one out before Call of Duty Ghosts.

With big AAA titles coming out starting end of October, PS4 will have a huge launch if they can make it happen in October.

They will have significant third party software sales as well.

Knoxcore

Sony MUST launch a few weeks before the XBO. It will give them a better opportunity to market the PS4 and give them a heads up with the games coming in the fall.

But let's be honest here, Sony has to ship enough units to keep up with demand and right now demand is strong.

I will love a late October release in time for BF4 and AC.

Does anyone remember the launch dates for the Wii U, PS3, 360 and Wii? How does that line up with this 10/29/13 date?

All US launch dates:

Xbox 360 - November 22, 2005
PS3 - November 17, 2006
Wii - November 19, 2006
Wii U - November 18, 2012

So basically, everything releases in November.

PS1 - September 9, 1995
PS2 - October 26, 2000

But, based on PS history, it is certainly possible. Funny thing is with the PS console trend, the PS4 would release in December. Sep -> Oct -> Nov -> Dec. In reality, this means nothing; it could very well release in October, especially with the good yields reported with the new system.

dubq

Just preordered the ps4, and the manager at bestbuy said that they have a internal email saying 10/29/13 release date, date subject to change, and not to release that info to the public.

I asked them for a copy of said email, he said maybe... lol

what dates are you guys hearing?

10 days after my bday! Pls Sony, happy bday to me, OK?! ;)

Stoffinator

It be funny if it was the date on the Last of Us evacuation sign in the small town Joel and Ellie go too. The date is 10/13/13

The game NEEDS to be out for COD and with Sony's Exclusive hour or whatever with Battlefield 4 makes me believe it will be out in Oct. Also it's another fuck you to Microsoft.

All US launch dates:

Xbox 360 - November 22, 2005
PS3 - November 17, 2006
Wii - November 19, 2006
Wii U - November 18, 2012

So basically, everything releases in November.

PS1 - September 9, 1995
PS2 - October 26, 2000

But, based on PS history, it is certainly possible. Funny thing is with the PS console trend, the PS4 would release in December. Sep -> Oct -> Nov -> Dec. In reality, this means nothing; it could very well release in October, especially with the good yields reported with the new system.

Thanks for doing the leg work, interesting to see that if this date is true, it'd be the earliest console launch in a decade during the holiday season. Really hope the good yield reports are true too :)

theycallmeryan

Neo Member
I would love to believe this, but Watch Dogs is a PS4 launch title. This would mean that it would launch on PS4 a little less than a month before PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 (November 19th release date).

Well the absolute annihilation would be complete if they confirm the release date as being a couple weeks before Xbox 1.

Whatever the case I've always thought the PS4 would release first.

I had the PS4 version of BF4 pre-ordered, it had the date of "12/31/2013" which is of course just a placeholder date. Few days ago amazon e-mailed me saying: ""Battlefield 4"
Previous estimated arrival date: December 31, 2013
New estimated arrival date: October 29, 2013"

So that's kind of interesting.

Top Bottom