• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foliorum Viridum said:
That's still the first half of the film ruined.

That doesn't seem like a big deal to you?

It does, I'm just saying it isn't the entire movie revealed. I understand why they did it though. To show it isn't a horror film and more of a psychological thriller.

Expendable. said:
terrible-looking wide release films I didn't include btw:

Apollo 18
Shark Night 3D
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star
I Don't Know How She Does It
Abduction
What's Your Number?

Well I guess Paranormal Lunactivity has a marketing campaign the size of the dark side of the moon anyways so no problem there. But Shark Night 3D? It has sharks. It's at night. IT'S 3D. What's not to love.

harSon

Banned
Solo said:
Jason Statham has as much charisma as a punching bag.

Vin Diesel has charisma, yes. Jason does not.

His characters are certainly dry and mundane, but there's a certain charm about them that draws us towards them and makes us want to see more. The latter part of this statement is the very definition of charismatic. Chev Chelios is one of the best characters in an action film from the last decade, and the fact that I can remember that name off the top of my head says a lot.

And I do admit that Vin Diesel is an infinitely better actor that Statham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeuyjlbes8

It's not even just Dream House, either. All of these trailers are too long. I'm turning them off after a minute because by that point I know everything I need to and beyond that I'm just going to have 90% of the story laid out before I've even seen it.

Trailers need to be shorted and better edited to give away less stuff. I love a good trailer, but I don't want to know everything.

It is looking like a damn good month, though.

Expendable. said:
Rating = PG-13. Piranha 3D it is not.

I knew there was something really fucked up I was forgetting about this film.

‎(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Solo

harSon said:
His characters are certainly dry and mundane, but there's a certain charm about them that draws us towards them and makes us want to see more. The latter part of this statement is the very definition of charismatic.

The latter part of the statement I do not agree even remotely about.

HiResDes

Vin Diesel actually shows some range sometimes, but hear me out I don't hate Jason at all. I just kind of miss the days when he'd be a sort of side character, as I don't feel his static acting ability really lends itself well to the constant full-feature spotlight.

Edit: Also I was hoping Apollo 18 would be bad enough to be entertaining, if you know what I mean

harSon

Banned
Solo said:
The latter part of the statement I do not agree even remotely about.

You don't have too.

But the fact that he's constantly pursued for these types of roles and audiences continue to watch them gives credence to my observation.

Grifter

thanks for making the OPs (more) readable!

i must be getting old, but this is the first time this year that i read this monthly preview and got hyped. been seeing warrior trailers forever tho, why was that held back so long?

SMH @ clive owen and of course, de niro. if you get script titled "killer elite," how do you even flip the page? i'll see it, of course.

wish carey mulligan would wear her hair long more, like her wig(?) look in the brothers remake.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll be waiting until October to see even one of those films. Australia, fuck yeah. I had thought Drive was to begin screening later in the month, but I was a month off in my assumption.

If I were fortunate enough to be attending TIFF I'd be watching the fuck out of Violet & Daisy. But, I'm not, so I have to sit here and wonder about it until the film comes to this country some time in the next 12 months.

saoirseronan_wonderconcu2o.png

Ho-hum.

harSon

Banned
Also, how can you love David Craig's Jame Bond and hate Jason Statham? They're practically the same performance!

Takao

Banned
I'm hoping to catch Letter to Momo, and From Up On Poppy Hill at TIFF (I actually did a pretty detailed synposis of what an anime fan can find at TIFF on blog). Will try to catch Drive as well.

harSon said:
Jason Statham is the shit. Only actor who continuously makes entertaining action films. I enjoy Vin Diesel's action fair a bit more, but until recently, dude's been sitting on his thumbs. He's 80s/90s action in his sensibilities too. ie charismatic and one note, but it doesn't matter because that one note is entertaining as fuck.

Have you seen Blitz?

HiResDes said:
The Nick Swardson movie reminds me of one of the parody films shown in Idiocracy.

It looks it's from the same idiots that made Grandma's Boy, which I absolutely hated.

Foliorum Viridum said:
That's still the first half of the film ruined.

That doesn't seem like a big deal to you?
If a movie's ruined simply because you know how it ends (or what the plot goes through in the middle), then it simply wasn't really good.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Bucky Larson looks like one of the worst movies in recent memory. Every time I see a commercial for it I cringe.

Foreign Jackass said:
If a movie's ruined simply because you know how it ends (or what the plot goes through in the middle), then it simply wasn't really good.
Well it looks like it's a pretty significant twist which will result in the first half of the film losing the tension now I know it.

Solo

harSon said:
Also, how can you love David Craig's Jame Bond and hate Jason Statham? They're practically the same performance!

I need the :lol smiley back. Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor. Jason Statham is not.

Oh, and Craig got a BAFTA nomination for his Bond.

Expendable. said:
You didn't want to kill yourself after watching that red band trailer? Congrats!

What? That part where he sees a naked woman and jizzes everywhere was hilarious! So hilarious they repeated the gag multiple times. Happy Madison delivers time after time.

harSon

Banned
Solo said:
I need the :lol smiley back. Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor. Jason Statham is not.

Oh, and Craig got a BAFTA nomination for his Bond.

When did I say Jason Statham is a better actor than Daniel Craig? He's not, it's not even close. I said that personality and characteristic wise, minus the womanizing, Craig's James Bond is quite literally Jason Statham.

And Craig had benefit of being in a great Bond film directed by an excellent director, coming off a few horrid ones, of course he was going to win a British award.

Solo

harSon said:
When did I say Jason Statham is a better actor than Daniel Craig? He's not, it's not even close. I said that personality and characteristic wise, minus the womanizing, Craig's James Bond is quite literally Jason Statham.

I don't see it.

Decado

Hmmm. Now this *could* be a good month:

For sure (at some point):
Drive
Machine Gun Preacher
Killer Elite

Also somewhat interested in:
Straw Dogs
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
Contagion

Should easily be the best month of the year thus far.

Already quite sick of all the spineless summer action flicks.

HiResDes

Margaret doesn't look like my cup of tea at all, but I think I might see Contagion now as well...So that makes three films for me this month.

Blader

Really looking forward to 50/50, Drive, and Warrior. Will probably see Take Shelter, Contagion, and Moneyball at some point too.

Wow, my poor wallet. I will definitely be seeing: Drive, Margaret, Contagion and maybe Killer Elite. Expendable from those that you've spoken to, has anyone of them mentioned if Contagion being too predicable at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom