• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10-Minute Reggie interview-ABC.

----

Banned
I don't think he was expecting the Power Glove reference from ABC. That interviewer really creeped me out. Reggie had good answers. I think MS and Sony are making a mistake by putting so much emphasis on HDTV. The vast majority will not be playing games on HDTV this generation. Wii may not be able to have a 5 year shelf life though. I think it would be a better strategy for Nintendo if they stuck to a shorter lifespan like they do in the handheld space. So long as they provide backwards compatibility and cheap hardware prices I don't think people will care about new systems coming out more frequently.

ZeoVGM

Banned
for the love of god

someone make a gif of the interviewer, near the beginning, trying to mimick older controllers with his hands

Endgegner

Luna104 said:
Or maybe he was at Nintendo's Wii Preview and liked what he saw and experienced...

He talks about the general strategy of Nintendo and not like somebody who had playtime with the wii. Somehow I get the feeling he just read the questions on a paper and tries to say what he just memorized. He "stutters" too. Reggie on the other hand seems to know which questions are coming.

dogbowl

"Packed into the hardware is software called Wii Sports"

Did anyone else interpret this as that game being build into the console and not on a seperate disk?

etiolate

Banned
Yah, this was a PR piece, but he said all the right things in it. They have the message, they just have to bring it to the right places.

Mrbob

Mwa hahaha, like lobbing softballs. But I suppose this was the point of the interview.

Nintendo does have some good goals it seems. We'll see if they can execute them.

m0dus said:
Indeed.

harker.gif

Pure win right there.

Jeez, there's a span of a second or so where Reggie gives this weird look smiling and the reporter responds with an even creepier look and smile. Disturbing.

Edit: Heh, hadn't seen the rape time image. I think that's the moment I was talking about.

Mar

Nice interview. I don't know if it was all just basically free advertising for the Wii. That power glove question seemed to stop the Reginator in his tracks and he had to think of a good answer on the spot. But yeah, could have done with some more hard hitting questions.

I like Reggie. He's doing a good job. In fact all the big guns in Nintendo are doing great PR lately. Amazing what having a hit on their hands (the DS) has done for the company.

kablooey

At least ABC is consistent...they're just as sycophantic when they interview the President. But anyway, Reggie still handled it well, I thought.

vgsmike

This is how a lot of interviews go. The interviewer frames the questions inline with the subject's PR message. Softball all the way.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
moku said:
Online really started to take off at the end of last-gen, not at the start though. Now all three(Microsoft pioneered it obviously) seem to have a well thought-out and functioning online aspect.(Save for Nintendo, at launch, again )

everything i have heard so far about nintendos online system seems extremely well thought out. i just dont see how you could make this statement when we still dont know all the details.

Juice

Man, this interview really shows just how hard it is to explain the Wii. To an outsider, that would've been 100% not understandable if they didn't have those cutaways to the PR video. Hell, everything about the caricatures/channels would still be a total mystery. He didn't really well explain the VC either.

Nothing against Reggie, but I have noticed that explaining the Wii's feature set and philosophy in < 5 minutes without visual aids is next to impossible.

He should have just grabbed the interviewer ands aid "PLAYING IS BELIEVING, BITCH" and then the interview would transide into a side-by-side gaming session where he walked the guy through a couple games. That would have been far more informative and entertaining.

vasuba

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
everything i have heard so far about nintendos online system seems extremely well thought out. i just dont see how you could make this statement when we still dont know all the details.

it is amusing he says sony has a well thought out online plan when thier games left and right are losing online due to no information and crazy Kens TGS speech about the future of online is all things like 8 years away as he even says his online plans arent possible now.

So that leaves Microsoft with an online we all know.

Nintendo with an online we have a general view of from the DS and whats been shown

then finally Sony who hasnt said 1 freaking thing.

So how is it people still ride sonys nuts?

Mar

Juice said:
Man, this interview really shows just how hard it is to explain the Wii. To an outsider, that would've been 100% not understandable if they didn't have those cutaways to the PR video. Hell, everything about the caricatures/channels would still be a total mystery. He didn't really well explain the VC either.

Nothing against Reggie, but I have noticed that explaining the Wii's feature set and philosophy in < 5 minutes without visual aids is next to impossible.

He should have just grabbed the interviewer ands aid "PLAYING IS BELIEVING, BITCH" and then the interview would transide into a side-by-side gaming session where he walked the guy through a couple games. That would have been far more informative and entertaining.

I understand your point. But it's an interview. The moment people stand up and start flailing their arms about, it turns into an infomercial ;).

"But wait there's more!".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They forgot to post the rest of the interview

ABC: So, the wii is going to take over the whole world?

Reggie: Yeah, were not only going for the gaming market were going after the souls of billions as well. The wii isn't just a video game system, it's also a very intense form of hypnotism. With WiiConnect24 we can use the wii to keep humans around the world connected to our database all day, all night.

ABC: And thats something your evil competitors aren't doing right?

Reggie: I wouldn't call them evil. I prefer inferior.

ABC: How are they inferior?

Reggie: Well for one, I could totally beat them in an arm wrestling match. There was actually a boxing match planned for e3 where I would take on a few of the other companies big wigs and some heretic internet journalists, but they all chickened out last minute. They never gave a reason, but I have a feeling it has to do with the .45 caliber rifles im packin. Reggie begins to roll up his sleeves and shows his 24 inch pythons to the camera.

ABC: Those are some large muscles. I doubt the other companies have something like that.

Reggie: Well I hear that peter moore guy is packin, but itl take a few more tattoos for him to be able to stand up to the pokebombs I swing around in the ring.

ABC: Enough about penis metaphors, let's talk about the games. I hear you've got an amazing line up?

Reggie: Amazing just doesn't do it justice. I would call our launch line up the best line up since the trail of tears, and you can quote me on that.

ABC: I played the Wii at the unveiling party a couple a weeks ago and I have to say I was quite intrigued.

Reggie: Thats the hypnosis at work. The effects should last for another week, but the wii is so great that I doubt youll even notice it.

ABC: When can I play it again?

Reggie: When I let you play it again.

ABC: Come on man, don't leave me hangin.

Reggie: It'll cost you, how does 599 sound?

ABC: I don't have that kind of money.

Reggie: Then how about we let perrin give you a "live demo"

ABC: Does that hurt?

Reggie: It depends on what you're in to.

ABC: Okay okay fine, interview over, just let me get another hit.

Reggie: Oh, youll get hit all right Reggie signals giant men in leather outfits over and the interviewer is taken off camera and fades to black.

KINGMOKU

quadriplegicjon said:
I dont seem to understand what your talking baout, but I will attempt to.

I meant to say, unlike last-gen when online came into its own right at the end(Talking about HD era that Nintendo is skipping reminds me of last gen with online. They made a good decision with no-online, but it bit them in the ass at the very end of the gen) while this gen, every company seems to have a fleshed out, working online set-up from the get, except Nintendo. Thiers wont support online games untill March. If I remember correctly.

osyrus said:
now i know how to pronounce his name..

i always thought it was "Fills-Aim", not "Feez-Amee"
colbert.jpg

"It's French, bitch."

Xdrive05 said:
Yeah, but going with that idea it looks like Nintendo would be capitalizing on this generation's HD adoption caused by the Xbox 360 and PS3. If those systems move a lot of HD sets, then Wii2 will surely be HD.

Kind of like how online console gaming wasn't important last gen according to Ninty, but all of a sudden Nintendo's on board this time around.
Well... yeah. Situations change, and business decisions follow.

vasuba

Banned
Iwata already said the Wii2 as we call it will be HD. and it makes sense too HD by that time will be a cheap technology allowing nintendo to offer thier console at an as usual lower price.

Top Bottom